• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex Legends // 'You kill me, you're better. I kill you, I'm better.'

Had some fun games the last day or two with buds on an off -

Skip to 2:00 - Squad Wipeout.

1 Circle, 4 Squads FTW

Skip to 2:05 - The Western Finish.

The Long Game. 3mins slow with a nice payoff.

Balboa

I have taken a new zero fucks approach to the game this season to reduce the swearing and controller throwing, seems to be working so far despite the best efforts of the new season shitter resurgence.

I have taken a new zero fucks approach to the game this season to reduce the swearing and controller throwing, seems to be working so far despite the best efforts of the new season shitter resurgence.

Yep, it's rough out there, the matchmaking and skill cap in this game combined with smurfs and stacked squads has it ultra sweat competitive again this season.

There's still fun and dumb luck to be had, pulled a double squad wipe with some nice flanking and chaos with 4 or 5 squads all mixing it up.

Skip to 1.10s -

Last edited:

Boss Mog

New Legend is great, I really like her so I know they will nerf her soon. Any character or weapon I like always gets nerfed. Hate the new first ring mechanic, absolute garbage.

Alx

Is it just for me or are the rewards for the new character levels broken ? The game tells me I unlocked an Apex pack but it's nowhere to be found (happened at least twice now).
I also like Vantage, her bat-jump is fun (and sometimes very convenient, you can easily leap above mountains in King's Canyon). Her sniping ability is nice, but rarely a game-changer in my experience. It's only effective when I can land consecutive shots with the special rifle to take an enemy down, otherwise the damage boost doesn't seem useful for teammates or myself by the time we get to hit it with another weapon (do we know how long the target is "marked" ? It's only visible for a few seconds)

Balboa

Yep, it's rough out there, the matchmaking and skill cap in this game combined with smurfs and stacked squads has it ultra sweat competitive again this season.

There's still fun and dumb luck to be had, pulled a double squad wipe with some nice flanking and chaos with 4 or 5 squads all mixing it up.

Skip to 1.10s -

I'm also playing Mirage again this season he's definitely the most solo queue friendly legend you've always got a fighting chance even in a 1v3, plus I've got nearly 200 wins on Mirage so losing doesn't send me spiralling into the abyss like on Octane last season when I was aiming to hit 50 and losing my mind

8BiTw0LF

Banned
9lrcKUg.jpg

I'm also playing Mirage again this season he's definitely the most solo queue friendly legend you've always got a fighting chance even in a 1v3, plus I've got nearly 200 wins on Mirage so losing doesn't send me spiralling into the abyss like on Octane last season when I was aiming to hit 50 and losing my mind

Mirage is a great point man, you can get out of being caught out enough to scramble the other team, have your teammates fight back and recharge to reengage with your team. He's great solo on the attack too. I've found more "usefulness" with my decoys when enemies cannot see me/them and use their audio to subvert my/team attack. It's amazing how much a little audio can bamboozle. Same goes for revives, Mirage is very solid when you time your decoys and revives just right in battle.

I'm pushing 550 wins on Mirage now but he's my main by far. My son has my old gamertag for the most part so I'd squarely put my total Mirage wins at over 1,000.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I just recently switched to Seer, cause his passive, tactical and ultimate are top-tier for competitive teamplay in this meta.

My Gibby days are not over. I'll be defending my teammates in pubs from time to time :)

J5GKfrT.png

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I doubt I'll ever push a 20 bomb and 4K badge combo. I've hit 16 with 18 knocks and 3690 damage. Son of a ..........

Well done dude.
Easiest way to get both 4K and 20bomb, is to not play ranked - wait for end of 2nd split (last week) - go into ranked with a pre-made team and help each other get the badges :)

Boss Mog

Jesus I'm just a weekend warrior compared to you guys max kills stands at 11 and I don't even have a 2K badge, closest was 1991. But I feel like I could get the 2K badge easily if I used a sniper rifle more. But my win rate is usually between 15 and 20% every season, just got my 900th win today. My win rate would probably be higher if the SBMM was good, but I pretty much always have peeps with 4K badge, 20bomb in my games, a lot of which are cheaters in my book. I only play with friends and we really play to win, not to get kills or anything.

Balboa

That feeling when you uninstall the game after smashing a controller to pieces, then you reinstall a week later and it immediately puts you in a game with no teammates...

Alx

There’s nothing more frustrating than playing with a Loba teammate that never uses her marketplace.

There’s nothing more frustrating than playing with a Loba teammate that never uses her marketplace.

I raise you a Horizon that thinks it funny to randomly drop her grav lift thingy in front of you sending you up up and away. Over and over all match.

Finally got a team of 4K, 20 bombs and masters when searching solo and they quit at the start of the game of course. Who needs em, took a squad at the start and another squad at the end.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
apex2-0-championship-fullcard-promo-y3.jpg.adapt.320w.jpg

The Apex Legends Global Series (ALGS) Year 2 was the biggest so far for the pinnacle of Apex Legends esports. With an epic year that featured thousands of players representing 79 countries and territories around the world that culminated in nearly 11 million hours watched during the Year 2 Championship alone, it’s clear there’s a lot of love for the ALGS!

Capping off another exciting year, the ALGS Championship in Raleigh, NC, was the largest to date, where 40 of the best Apex Legends teams in the world competed in front of thousands of fans along with millions of viewers watching from home. None of this would be possible without the players and fans alike, so thank you for supporting Apex Legends esports!

Building on Year 2’s momentum, we’re thrilled to announce the launch of ALGS Year 3. Let’s start with the headlines:

• 30 Teams in each region’s Pro League
  • Regional Finals to cap each of the two Regular Season Splits
  • 3 Live Events and $5,000,000 USD in prize money
  • ALGS Year 3 registration is now open

ALGS YEAR 3 - FORMAT AND SCHEDULE​

Here’s a look at the upcoming schedule for all preseason competition, Split 1, and what’s in store for Split 2 and the Year 3 Championship next year.

apex-social-announce-year-3-timeline-220817.jpg.adapt.320w.jpg

WHAT’S NEW IN ALGS YEAR 3​

Coming off of Year 2, the team has made some exciting updates to make this the best year yet for the ALGS.

UPDATED PRO LEAGUE REGULAR SEASON FORMAT​

We’re excited to announce the introduction of an exciting Regional Finals as the last day of each Regular Season Split.

After each team completes their 36 Regular Season Matches, the top 20 teams will advance to the Regional Finals. The Regional Finals will consist of a Match Point series, with the winner earning a guaranteed Playoff spot.

THE PRO LEAGUE NOW FEATURES 30 TEAMS PER REGION​

Following up on the introduction of our Pro League in Year 2, in Year 3, we’re reducing the size of each region’s Pro League to thirty teams to ensure the absolute highest level of competition in this division.

Detailed further below are the 22 teams in each region that have accepted invitations to participate in the Pro League.The remaining 8 Pro League spots in each region will be filled by the top performing teams in the upcoming Preseason Qualifiers.

THREE IN-PERSON COMPETITIONS​

Year 3 of the ALGS will award a $5,000,000 USD total prize pool, and include 3 LAN events.

• Split 1 Playoffs: Winter 2023
  • Split 2 Playoffs: Spring 2023
  • Year 3 Championship: Summer 2023

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS​

The minimum rank required to participate in the ALGS is now Silver IV (4). Players can achieve this rank by participating in the Apex Legends Ranked Leagues mode. This now increases the opportunity for more competitors around the world to compete in Apex Legends esports.

Additionally, players in the Pro League will be required to compete on PC through Steam in Year 3.

CHALLENGER CIRCUIT UPDATES​

Another enhancement to Year 3 is that the winning team from each Challenger Circuit competition will automatically qualify for the Split 2 Pro League Qualifier or the Last Chance Qualifier, depending on the Split.

LAST CHANCE QUALIFIER IMPROVEMENTS​

In Year 3, we’ve also consolidated the ALGS Championship’s Last Chance Qualifiers into one double-elimination tournament featuring top Challenger Circuit teams and all non-qualified Pro League squads. The top finishing teams will advance to the Championship. This time around, we’ll also play the LCQ Finals using our Match Point format.

Read on below for full competition details and to see how you can register for Year 3 of the Apex Legends Global Series!

ALGS YEAR 3 - COMPETITION DETAILS​

PRESEASON QUALIFIERS​

Year 3 of the ALGS will kick off with four online Preseason Qualifier tournaments. These competitions will determine the eight teams from each region that will qualify to begin Split 1 in the Pro League. These eight teams will join the already invited 22 squads to round out the field of 30 per region.

• Registration for the Preseason Qualifiers is open now at playapex.com/algs
  • The four online Preseason Qualifier tournaments will take place on October 8-10, October 15-17, October 22-24, and October 29-31, 2022
  • The winning team from each regional Preseason Qualifier will automatically qualify for Split 1 of the Pro League
  • Following all four Preseason Qualifier tournaments, the top four teams in each region by cumulative points earned throughout the qualifiers will also qualify for Split 1 of the Pro League
  • All other participating teams will begin Split 1 in the Challenger Circuit

PRO LEAGUE​

• Split 1 of the Pro League will kick off on Sunday, November 6th
  • All five regions of the Pro League will be comprised of 30 teams:
    • 22 directly invited teams
    • 8 teams from the Preseason Qualifiers
  • On the line for teams during each Split of the Regular Season is playoff qualification and a $500,000 USD prize pool.
  • The 30 teams in each region will be seeded into three groups of 10 teams each, using performance across ALGS Year 2 and the Year 3 Preseason Qualifiers.
  • Each Split of the Pro League will consist of an online Regular Season in which teams will begin by competing in a triple round-robin format (each group plays each other group 3 times).
  • Across this triple round-robin, each team will play 36 matches in six series of six matches each.
  • The top 20 teams by Regular Season Standings will then compete in an online Regional Finals utilizing the Match Point format.
  • In NA, EMEA, and APAC N, 10 teams will qualify for the Split 1 Playoffs, including the winner of the Regional Finals and the top nine teams ranked by Regular Season points.
  • In SA and APAC S, Five teams will qualify for the Split 1 Playoffs, including the winner of the Regional Finals and the top four teams ranked by Regular Season points.
  • For the Split 2 Playoffs, regional slot distribution will be determined by Split 1 Playoffs performance. The better a region’s teams perform in the Split 1 Playoffs, the more spots that region will gain for the Split 2 Playoffs.
  • At the end of the Split 1 Pro League Regular Season, the bottom eight teams in each region will be relegated to the Split 2 Pro League Qualifier, where they will battle against top-performing Challenger Circuit teams for a spot in the Split 2 Pro League.
  • Following the Split 2 Playoffs, any Pro League teams that have not qualified for the Championship will participate in the Last Chance Qualifier.
2120817-algs-announce-year-3-teams-min.jpg.adapt.320w.jpg

2120817-algs-announce-year-3-teams-southamerica-min.jpg.adapt.320w.jpg

2120817-algs-announce-year-3-teams-emea-min.jpg.adapt.320w.jpg

2120817-algs-announce-year-3-teams-apacnorth-min.jpg.adapt.320w.jpg

2120817-algs-announce-year-3-teams-apacsouth-min.jpg.adapt.320w.jpg

1 / 5

PRO LEAGUE CONTINUED​

• Each Split’s Playoffs will award $1,000,000 USD and feature 40 of the best Apex Legends teams from the five ALGS regions (NA, EMEA, APAC N, APAC S, and SA).
  • The location and dates for each Split’s Playoffs will be announced in the future.
  • The Playoffs will utilize a Group Stage to Double-Elimination bracket format:
    • In the Group Stage, teams will be seeded into 4 groups of 10 teams each based on their Regular Season performance, and each group will play a single 6-match series against every other group (18 matches total per team).
    • Following the Group Stage, teams will be assigned a starting position in the double-elimination Bracket Stage based on their Group Stage performance, and each round in the Bracket Stage will consist of a 6-match series.
      • The top 20 Group Stage teams will begin in the Winners Bracket
      • The bottom 20 Group Stage teams will begin in the Losers Bracket
    • Following the Bracket Stage, 20 teams will compete in the Match Point Finals.
      • The top 10 teams from the Winners Bracket series
      • The top 10 teams from Losers Bracket Round 2

SPLIT 2 PRO LEAGUE QUALIFIER​

The ALGS Split 2 Pro League Qualifier will take place in January 2023, prior to the Split 1 Playoffs. This online tournament pits the bottom 8 teams from each region’s Pro League Split 1 Regular Season against top teams in each region’s Split 1 Challenger Circuit to determine who will advance to the Pro League in Split 2.

CHALLENGER CIRCUIT​

The ALGS Challenger Circuit will run parallel to each Split of the Pro League Regular Season, providing amateur teams with an opportunity to compete in open-registration tournaments for the chance to qualify into the Split 2 Pro League Qualifier in Split 1 or the Last Chance Qualifier in Split 2.

• Split 1 of the Challenger Circuit will begin on Saturday, November 19th
  • Each Challenger Circuit split will feature 4 open registration weekend tournaments in the following regions:
    • North America
    • EMEA
    • APAC North
    • APAC South
    • South America
  • Following the 4 Challenger Circuit tournaments in Split 1, each tournament winner, as well as the next 18 teams by ALGS points earned throughout the Split in each region will qualify for the Split 2 Pro League Qualifier.
  • Following the 4 Challenger Circuit tournaments in Split 2, at least the top 10 teams by ALGS points earned throughout the Split in each region will qualify for the Last Chance Qualifier. The exact number of qualifying Challenger Circuit teams participating in the LCQ will depend on the number of Championship qualified teams from each region and will be confirmed after the Split 2 Playoffs conclude.

LAST CHANCE QUALIFIER​

The ALGS Last Chance Qualifier will take place in June 2023, after the Split 2 Playoffs. This online tournament pits all Pro League teams who haven’t qualified for the Championship against top squads in each region’s Split 2 Challenger Circuit to determine who will take the last spots in the Championship.

ALGS YEAR 3 CHAMPIONSHIP​

• The ALGS Championship will take place in Summer 2023 and will feature the 40 best Apex Legends teams in the world, competing in person for $2,000,000 USD and the title of ALGS Year 3 Champions.
  • The location and dates for the Championship will be announced in the future.
  • The Championship will utilize a Group Stage to Double-Elimination bracket format:
    • In the Group Stage, teams will be seeded into 4 groups of 10 teams each based on their Playoff Points or LCQ performance, and each group will play a single 6-match series against every other group (18 matches total per team).
    • Following the Group Stage, teams will be assigned a starting position in the double-elimination Bracket Stage based on their Group Stage performance, and each round in the Bracket Stage will consist of an 8-match series.
      • The top 20 Group Stage teams will begin in the Winners Bracket
      • The bottom 20 Group Stage teams will begin in the Losers Bracket
    • Following the Bracket Stage, 20 teams will compete in the Match Point Finals to determine the ALGS Year 3 Champions.
      • The top 10 teams from the Winners Bracket series
      • The top 10 teams from Losers Bracket Round 2
We’ll have more exciting ALGS Year 3 news in the near future. In the meantime, please stay tuned to playapex.com/algs, and as always, let us know what you think using the #ALGS hashtag on Twitter.

Enjoy the rest of the off-season, and we can’t wait to see you again soon for Year 3 of the Apex Legends Global Series!

For Apex Legends Global Series Year 3 Official Rules, see https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/compete/overview/rules.

I've been off Apex for a bit, mates and I have been diving back into Destiny 2 raids with the new expansion dropping. I've been dipping back into Apex while waiting for raid teams to get full strength. Some fun clips -

Slow clip - evading a team for 1.5mins and then wiping them all -

Solo taking out a champ squad, Skip to 2mins -

Rando squad mate was on fire in this game they matched with me. I respawned him and down the mike he goes, give me all your loadout and I'll win, going for a 4K. So I obliged as I was mostly just playing support for this player anyhow. Rando was true to their word...killed em all with a 3.6K. So close my rando friend, so close -

Nice one v one squad at the start, skip 1.50mins -

Long final fight FTW -

Ending up solo, quitters and fuck it take out a 2 man squad at the replicator, skip to 1.55mins -

Alx

So what’s the deal with the golden ticket you can craft ingame from replicators ? I managed to get one expecting something to unlock in the game menus or the shooting range, but I don’t see anything new.

Last edited:
The new updates have got Apex rocking this season. The matchmaking adjustments are really doing good things. Apex is playing great at the moment.

Taking your time with a squad of 3 randos in the end game like this is so satisfying to win from a double disadvantaged elevation. I still love Mirage's abilities to fool audio cues, brilliant. The juicy part is at 2:20 but I like the roaming calculating play leading up to that.

The things people exploit in these games.

Also, back from the dead baby, went down in a slow start chasing a squad. Redemption by going a little mental with a 301 and a Volt (on a new account to play ranked with some mates).

Double squad wipe when dropped as a 2 man team, good times. Matchmaking gods shined upon thee (skip to 1.55 mins for the juice).

Had the usual 2 randos quit early on so I went solo stealth mode and 3rd partying to take out the win. Some highlights from that game were

1. Being tracked by a full squad and wiping them at the prowlers outside the circle (skip to 1.50)

2. stealth wiping a 2 man squad with the high ground so I can hold the circle and take the win overall (skip to 2.15)

Dutchy

Hard stuck plat 2 because teammates will not budge when squads are fighting five feet away from us, but rush head on when we're seperated.

It's actually insane. How did these people reach gold, let alone plat when they seemingly don't even have their in-game audio turned on?

Hard stuck plat 2 because teammates will not budge when squads are fighting five feet away from us, but rush head on when we're seperated.

It's actually insane. How did these people reach gold, let alone plat when they seemingly don't even have their in-game audio turned on?
Oh yes, randos never cease to amaze.

Dutchy

Oh yes, randos never cease to amaze.

Yeah but even then, how did they reach plat? Just placed top 6 with 7 revives (Crafted 6 banners, recovered one). Spent 20 minutes avoiding squads only to get +6 rp. My teammates had less than 100 damage. There's no way they legitemately made it to plat when I struggled hard af to get there.

T'was a fun night in the solo queue last night. Good randies, team after team.

This went bonkers for a while, skip to 1.15 for the goods.

Also, how many revives can one hot drop have?

Further, I was born in the circle, your squad merely adopted it. So many close shaves and some great decision making on this one. Long but the pay offs near the end are so worth it.

*All I heard at the end was my inner Halo's Jeff Steitzer saying Trippplllle Kiiiilll.

Last edited:

Banned
During this season of Apex Legends it became very clear that literally noone working on the game has any sense of good game design.

This comes on top of the buggy and half broken state the game has been in for years, with bugs never getting fixed and new ones being introduced with each patch.

This season really showcases that a professional game designer doesn't necessarily have any idea about game design whatsoever.
They're more clueless than most of their playerbase.

So, what's going on this season that's so egregious?

First of all, the RANKED mode.
instead of making it harder to rank up on higher levels, and easier to rank up in lower levels, they 100% completely equalised the speed at which you rank up and down across all ranks.

Then they changed the matchmaking to be based on a hidden MMR instead of the rank you're at.

The new ranking system also prioritises "survival" instead of actual skill.
This means you can be on bronze rank, drop into the game and instantly kill 5 teams, and then get killed while recovering from killing 5 teams (15 players), and ranking down as a result.
Meanwhile if you just drop at a far corner of the map, and never shoot a single bullet, just hiding behind rocks all day, as long as you camp around long enough to get top 10 you're ranking up.

this means every match is now just people camping.

and just now a new bombshell dropped that just shows how completely clueless and out of touch the devs are, as they clearly don't know their own game enough to actually design systems for it (it has been a long running joke to say the devs don't play their own game, but this almost 100% confirms it)

Said bombshell has to do with this season's brand new feature "Weapon Mastery"
For this you level up your weapons by using them in matches, and you unlock stuff for them.
after 20 levels you have to complete a challenge before you can level it further.
this goes up to level 100 for each weapon in the game. at level 100 you get a guaranteed Legendary skin for the weapon.

Cool idea right?
Well, in theory.
Turns out, these challenges are in some cases almost literally impossible to complete.

One of these challenges is to shoot 500 bullets with a Spitfire LMG in a single match, and have at least 51% hit accuracy.
To an outsider (to which I also count the retarded devs that implemented this) this doesn't sound so bad, because without context this sounds doable right?

Well anyone who played Apex will instantly do the math and see that not even the best players in the world would be able to do this without A: a shitload of luck and B: trying it hundreds of times.

500 bullets with 51% of them hitting a target comes down to doing 4590 damage in a single match with only the Spitfire.

4000+ damage in Apex legends is extremely hard to get under normal conditions, even in the non-BR modes it's almost impossible to do reliably even if you are among the best players.

getting 4590 damage, while firing enough bullets to do 9000 damage is quite literally impossible to achive with almost any weapon, let alone a currently very low tier gun like the Spitfire.

AND YOU HAVE TO DO IT IN 3 DIFFERENT MATCHES! NOT ONLY ONCE, which would already be basically impossible.

Other ridiculous af challenges include:
-Getting 10 colleteral damages with the Kraber
-Killing 5 people with the Kraber while they are Skydiving

Last edited:

Facism

Your rank doesn't actually seem to matter in the face of their idiot "hidden mmr." My last game I got rinsed out by a silent 3-stack of preds (I'm silver 2 right now). -35LP from placement but somehow still positive LP overall because of bonuses. Dogshit. I did nothing but get shit on in 5 seconds because the hidden mmr thinks my skill is apparently comparable to preds. I find maybe an hour to play a day. Shit's mad.

Really wish they'd sort solo q and premades into their own lobbies. Put a toggle a la no-fill for solos who don't care about being a 3rd wheel for duos who are mute and ignorant the entire time you play with them, until they invariable pick a fight with 0 pings, die, and then scream racist shit down the mic because you can't read their mincemeat minds.

If it wasn't for TDM I wouldn't bother with this bag of shit anymore. Respawn seems more interested is pumping out skins/events to exploit whales and gamblers instead of fixing longstanding issues, like

The shit matchmaking
Audio that doesn't work
A tickrate straight out of a peer-2-peer experience where everyone else feels like they're 0 ping host
Regularly having to reconnect because you got hit with the loss/choke bug
Hitreg that rolls dice like we're playing a fucking D&D game

Last edited:
Finally reached master in Apex during this crazy solo rat ranked season. Good times and man did I have some solo, shit squads and amazing squads all mixed in that run from rookie to Master. Many complain but I've super enjoyed the slower more tactical and above all else a reason for teammates to get/craft banners as well as hang around in game to get personal rank progression. For the first time it really felt like solo/buddy squads got that rallying call against stacked squads and the increased ranks in Master means the Diamond and Master MM algorithm is running better than ever overall.

Had a fun one last night, down to just me, went the classic banners respawn and came back to win the show.

Last edited:
You have to love doing a whole squad dirty, my movement and triple take were on point for a change (double no scope FTW). Apex reminds me of Halo so much in these solo moments during a team game. Skip to 2.20 for the fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom