• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex Legends // 'You kill me, you're better. I kill you, I'm better.'

Tesseract

Banned
The latest season of Apex Legends introduces our most explosive Legend yet, a hard-hitting new gun, a world-shattering update to Kings Canyon, and a whole new batch of quality-of-life updates.

Season 8: Mayhem brings the boom starting February 2nd at 10am PT.

MEET FUSE

apex-screenshot-season-8-fuse-hunting.jpg.adapt.1456w.jpg

A mercenary-turned-cage fighter who never turns down a good dust-up. His affinity for explosions allows him to carry extra grenades and to throw them faster and further. He can launch a cluster bomb with airburst explosives. And when it’s time to really bring the boom, Fuse uses “Wally” to launch a bombardment that encircles an area in a ring of flames.

Passive - Grenadier

Stack an extra grenade per inventory slot. Fire grenades farther, faster, and more accurately.

Tactical - Knuckle Cluster

Launch a cluster bomb that continuously expels airburst explosives on impact.

Ultimate - The Motherlode

Launch a bombardment that encircles a target area in a wall of flames.

NEW WEAPON: 30-30 REPEATER

apex-legends-screenshot-season8-3030-01-render.jpg.adapt.1456w.jpg

This heavy ammo lever-action repeater boasts hard-hitting rounds that’ll nail a fleeing Mirage at 200 paces.

The 30-30 is the benchmark for reliability, designed to withstand whipping sandstorms and temporal instability, which made it an obvious choice for the Apex Games.

DISCIPLINED TRIGGER FINGER
The 30-30 Repeater requires the user to rechamber their rounds between shots which brings a methodic rhythm to the rifle, an analogue elegance that the modern weapons of the Outlands just can’t quite capture.

To further tempt those itchy trigger fingers, the 30-30 Repeater has a built-in charge giving players an opportunity to deal increased damage with each shot at the cost of a short build-up.

The 30-30 reloads one round at a time, which makes for some very interesting resource management you won’t find anywhere else, even on the Mastiff.

The 30-30’s engagement range allows unique opportunities to reload individual rounds between shots. This gives the Repeater the ability to lay down consistent precision ranged pressure, something weapons with full reloads can sometimes struggle with.

KINGS CANYON MAP UPDATE

apex-legends-screenshot-season8-b-a-06-crashsitewide-after-clean.jpg.adapt.1456w.jpg

Season 8 once again sees changes to Kings Canyon. The main new point of interest shows the devastation from the ship crashing into the map. Players can now explore beyond Artillery, Spotted Lakes takes over the Slums and some new observation towers for basic recon or a sniper’s nest. Read more on the map changes in the map blog here.

LEGENDARY MAGAZINES

apex-legends-screenshot-season8-goldmag.jpg.adapt.1456w.jpg

Season 8 introduces the Gold-tier magazines. Attaching it to a weapon automatically reloads your stowed weapons after a brief delay. The Gold magazine has the same capacity as Purple mags, and is available for Light, Heavy, Snipers, and Energy Weapons.

QUALITY OF LIFE UPDATES
Damage counter

• We have now added a damage counter to the HUD. This was a highly requested feature, so we’re excited to allow people easier tracking for chasing those badges and challenges!
  • Pinging Ammo
  • Pinging weapons or ammo in your inventory displays your current ammo count along with "player wants ammo" in quick chat.
  • Color Blind update
  • Healing and reviving will now follow colorblind rules when colorblind settings are enabled
  • Lore Blurbs on Canon Skins
  • Some of our skins are canon, and some are just for fun. For the skins that represent an important part of that character's backstory, we've added a small blurb to describe the significance of that skin in the Legend's life.

LEGEND META
Wraith: Hitbox adjustments.
Dev Note:
We know Wraith will always be a popular pick considering the amount of combat utility in her kit. After many tweaks to her abilities and animations, the fact remains that her win rate continues to be at the very top as it has since day one. With Season 7 hitbox adjustments to Pathfinder, we were able to control his power without nerfing his kit. We hope to do the same with Wraith.

Wraith now has a slightly larger hitbox than her fellow small legends, but the changes stay true to her model. As you can see in the before and after comparison, we’re adding some width mostly in the torso and leg areas.

season-8-patch-notes-wraith-hitbox.png.adapt.1456w.png

Even with these changes, Wraith remains small and hard to hit. She will retain Low Profile as we monitor her usage and win rates to see if power can be given back in other ways in the future.

Rampart:

• Sheila angle increase from 120° to 180°
  • Wall health in build phase increased from 1hp to 45hp (sniper rounds still pierce through)

Dev Note:
Rampart has remained at the bottom across our performance metrics since her release. Her kit is very much built around proactively setting up a powerful position, but in a game as fast-moving as Apex, we determined her walls should have some reactive power as well. We’re keeping a careful eye on this one.

Horizon:

• Gravity Lift effective cooldown increased from 21s to 25s. The 15s cooldown timer will now start when the Gravity Lift disappears.

Dev Note:
Horizon released strong, to the point where she rivals Wraith in win rate and pick rate. For the time being, we are monitoring her usage and checking whether or not the cooldown changes have a significant effect.

Octane:

• Launch Pad Remastered: Many players may have known about Octane’s “super-jump” that was possible with a well-timed jump while hitting the pad. Once the double-jump option was introduced, there was an input clash that led to unreliable usage. We decided to add some launch options that are better defined than the old super-jump.

• Hitting the jump pad from a standing position will launch players along a high arc (the speed and trajectory of the old super-jump).
  • From a crouched position, players will launch along a low arc, meaning they’ll fly lower but farther in the horizontal direction.

Crypto:

Remove ability to stick arc stars to friendly drones.

Loba:

• Loot inside unopened care packages is now visible with Eye for Quality and accessible through the Black Market Boutique.

Caustic:

• All gas now dissipates as soon as Caustic’s team is eliminated.

Mirage:

• Mirage decoys create footstep sounds.

Dev Note:
This change was mistakenly mentioned in the Fight Night patch notes when it was in fact coming with this patch. Mirage decoys will now have footstep audio in a limited capacity. There won’t be a footstep tornado if an enemy Mirage ults nearby, but it should be slightly harder to pick out the real Mirage from audio cues alone.

WEAPON META

Fully Kitted Rotation

• Removed: Wingman, Sentinel, Havoc, G7, Alternator
  • Added: R-301, 30-30 Repeater, Mozambique, Longbow DMR, Spitfire

Attachments
  • We are removing the Gold Barrel from the loot pool

Hop Ups
  • The Double Tap hop up will be removed from the loot pool
  • The Anvil Rounds hop up will be added into the loot pool

Volt
  • Bullet damage decreased from 16 to 15

Alternator
  • Bullet damage increased from 15 to 16

Spitfire
  • Bullet damage increased from 18 to 19
  • Reload speed increased from 2.8 seconds to 3.2
  • Empty Reload speed increased from 3.33 seconds to 3.8

EVA 8
  • Fire rate increased from 2.0 to 2.1

BUG FIXES

Caustic

• Sonar abilities no longer stop Caustic’s highlight vision.

Loba
  • Fixed a few exploitable areas on Kings Canyon that Loba was able to reach via her Bracelet.

Rampart
  • Jumpads in Octane’s town takeover no longer allow Rampart to place Sheila on them.
  • Fixed an issue with Rampart's passive persisting even after changing characters in Firing Range

Havoc
  • Fixed an issue causing the Havoc to have 100% accuracy when hip-fired through Rampart’s Amped Cover.

Peacekeeper
  • Fixed a POV issue that occurred when using Horizon’s abilities, then immediately going into ADS with a Peacekeeper.

Clubs
  • Re-enabled ability to invite friends to club from friends list
  • Fixed an issue causing some users who have opted out of "Last Squad Invites" to not appear in club event timelines when placing in the top 5 of a match
  • Failing to connect to the club database no longer leads to a misleading "Kicked from club" message
  • Players will no longer be kicked from clubs when switching to another profile on Xbox.

MISC

• Fixed an issue with crowds not cheering in Pathfinder’s Town takeover.
  • Fixed an issue preventing some heirlooms from appearing in the heirloom shop.
  • Fixed an issue that allowed Thermites to deal damage through certain walls on Olympus.

Last edited:

Banned
with my boi Octane having his super jump back, and the Alternator (the best hipfire gun in the game) getting a buff... I think Octane mains will be happy next season :)

STIM UP, DODGE LIKE CRAZY AND HIPFIRE EVERYONE TO OBLIVION!

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
horizon nerf is meh, wraiths hitbox change is overdue

rampart buffs are stronk, angle increase and wall health

ammo ping count and damage counter at long last

Tesseract

Banned
king update looks brilliant, still far and away my favorite map

the gold mag stowed reload is some next level shit, respawn you magnificent bastards

Last edited:
  • Volt getting a nerf is welcomed, it reduced the CQC options during S7.
  • Wraith hitbox definitely needed that update, bitch got out of too many fights due to shitty waist line hitbox.
  • For the love of the Devotion why didn't they get rid of the horizontal bullet spread/recoil. They fucked the devotion up mid range.
  • Finally Mirage decoys have footsteps, they need to go further with that though, mid-high level players still zero in on the flicker of the real mirage and it's like you never even deployed decoys. Sucks to have a worthless alt against some players. It's overdue. His gold skin also has a visual impairment issue when deploying a single decoy, it's annoying and blocks approx 10-15% of your action around your reticule in the heat of an engagement.
  • Number of Caustic traps or cooldown should have been nerfed.
  • Fucking lifeline tap revive needs a nerf. The last week alone we've seen fights have 4 and 5 lifeline revives within 5-25 seconds during the one extended engagement. That's bullshit, should have a cooldown after two revives in quick succession or lose the shield after the first revive etc. It's too OP as is.
  • Spitfire changes seem good, happy with those.
  • Ammo counter on ping is welcomed.
Will be jumping on tonight with a squad to checkout Fuse, meta and maps changes.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
  • Volt getting a nerf is welcomed, it reduced the CQC options during S7.
  • Wraith hitbox definitely needed that update, bitch got out of too many fights due to shitty waist line hitbox.
  • For the love of the Devotion why didn't they get rid of the horizontal bullet spread/recoil. They fucked the devotion up mid range.
  • Finally Mirage decoys have footsteps, they need to go further with that though, mid-high level players still zero in on the flicker of the real mirage and it's like you never even deployed decoys. Sucks to have a worthless alt against some players. It's overdue. His gold skin also has a visual impairment issue when deploying a single decoy, it's annoying and blocks approx 10-15% of your action around your reticule in the heat of an engagement.
  • Number of Caustic traps or cooldown should have been nerfed.
  • Fucking lifeline tap revive needs a nerf. The last week alone we've seen fights have 4 and 5 lifeline revives within 5-25 seconds during the one extended engagement. That's bullshit, should have a cooldown after two revives in quick succession or lose the shield after the first revive etc. It's too OP as is.
  • Spitfire changes seem good, happy with those.
  • Ammo counter on ping is welcomed.
Will be jumping on tonight with a squad to checkout Fuse, meta and maps changes.
A blowout

Banned

I don't really have an issue with it, maybe the drone could fly up a bit higher during the end of the revive so it's easier to stop... but IMO the game needed a healer like her...
maybe the shield size could also be reduced a bit.

it has to be consistent tho otherwise the mechanic gets too messy

KrakenIPA

DISCIPLINED TRIGGER FINGER
The 30-30 Repeater requires the user to rechamber their rounds between shots which brings a methodic rhythm to the rifle, an analogue elegance that the modern weapons of the Outlands just can’t quite capture.

To further tempt those itchy trigger fingers, the 30-30 Repeater has a built-in charge giving players an opportunity to deal increased damage with each shot at the cost of a short build-up.

The 30-30 reloads one round at a time, which makes for some very interesting resource management you won’t find anywhere else, even on the Mastiff.

The 30-30’s engagement range allows unique opportunities to reload individual rounds between shots. This gives the Repeater the ability to lay down consistent precision ranged pressure, something weapons with full reloads can sometimes struggle with.

Alx

I wish there was a small incentive for being in a club, like aggregated stats/XP and inter-club ranking. Even if it does nothing it's just another way of feeling like you're contributing.

Last edited:
I am psyched for this update. As a solo queuer, the changes in the ranking systems is a big win for me! I use to always get stuck down in Diamond 4, because the matchmaking would shove me with platinum IIIs or whatever. At that rank with a team that isn’t interesting in playing cohesively, you have to thirst so bad just go get anywhere.

Tesseract

Banned
fuse is stronk, especially as you ramp to gold mags throughout the match

knuckle cluster is a good deterrent and the grenadier arm is fucking killer with arcs and thermite, frags to flush and crowd control ultimate

Last edited:
7 gigs on pc, downloading now ...

godspeed on the metaphysical battlefields, legends
Updating my PC version now, Series X already did while I sleep. Man I love that feature about consoles.

Can we get a GAF club going or something? I was on a 4chan one but left cuz no one plays together there. Some casual gatherings would be nice at least.

I'd join, usually have mates in a squad but would pick up some games with y'all.

I wish there was a small incentive for being in a club, like aggregated stats/XP and inter-club ranking. Even if it does nothing it's just another way of feeling like you're contributing.
There is the boost for squad mates/friend for XP I think. I do agree it would be nice to promote clubs with incentives, Destiny 2 does that well with clans and clan bounties.

KrakenIPA

Welp, I’m still downloading (on WiFi), so I won’t play until tomorrow, but I’ve been watching streams for hours now, here are some of my early thoughts:

King’s Canyon looks great; there are plenty more high points to utilize the new 30-30 rifle and/or Fuse’s grenade fountain. Loot is plentiful and spaced, I saw some teams drop and have three POIs worth of guns/ammo/armor to choose from before seeing any action. The new equipment containers are stocked full of guns and ammo (you need a grenade to key it open), definitely worth opening if you come across them.

The 30-30 was putting out 40-50 damage (I'm seeing 70-90 now) for a well-placed shot, the bullet drop is significant but I love that sort of thing. Making those headers is going to be very rewarding. I didn’t really see anyone struggling to space out shots, it came off as really natural, I can’t wait to use it.

Fuse looks and acts cool, has some killer skins, and his ult is a great way to seal off a knocked opponent from their team. He can practically snipe players with grenades shot from his wrist-rocket. I will try him out for a bit, but I’m a loyal Loba/Caustic main.

Gold Mags are amazing, but I play casually to have fun, so I hope this doesn’t pack the pubs with sweat and blood. I like to bang out a ranked game here and there, but from what I saw it smells like teen spirit.

I’m super excited to slam some dollars on the battle pass and start embarrassing myself on the battlefield haha! If anyone wants to team up let me know.

Edit 2: Server woes are consistent with a new season drop. If you are experiencing an auto-kick when starting a new session try a cold reset on your system and check the server your playing on. Even though deactivating cross-play may take longer to join a match it may be a more reliable connection, so you could try to find a game that is specific to the system you play on. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Alx

The Revenant and Loba costumes that appear in their new holograms are really cool, I hope I'll be able to get at least one of those.

Alx

Ok I was skeptical when Fuse abilities leaked, but he's quite fun to play. The different areas of effect make him both offensive and strategic. It's not easy to see where your cluster bombs are going when you shoot them though.
I had my first victory where I could trap the last opponent in the ring of fire, I didn't get the last shot but it was fun to watch him burn. ^^

Tesseract

Banned
yeah he's a fucking blast

wish the cluster function was amorphic tho

grenadier arm is a game changer, can unload an ungodly storm of mayhem on squads

Tesseract

Banned
don't sleep on sniper fuse, keeping range is pretty easy with his toolkit

knuckle insta rekts doors

king update seems good, no meta commentary until i sink my fangs into ranked

8BiTw0LF

Banned
PS5 version isnt "enhanced" like the Series X version, huge difference.
So tell me... Every last gen game on XSX is promoted to be enhanced, right? - That's because it got better hardware than last gen - nothing else.. Exactly like PS5 is "enhancing" every game. Stable 60fps and max resolution at all times in Apex Legends - just like XSX's "enhanced" version.

KrakenIPA

I was playing as Rampart to clear a daily and had the privilege of firing the 30-30 through my amped wall. Wow, that rifle is glorious.

Banned

the good news for this even it, not only do you get 10 normal Apex Packs and 2 Event Packs, the individual skins are also half of the normal crafting metal price! so basically normal skin Prices! (1200 Metals for Gold and 400 for purple)
which is real nice, because I want that alternate colour for my man Octane! I already have the original green one (Jade Tiger)
gold, red and black is also exactly my style! (and not because I'm german lol... just a coincidence xD)

I also already crafted the El Diablo skin in order to get the store exclusive Red Shift skin for this exact reason :)
El-Diablo.jpg
Red-Shift.jpg

Last edited:

Banned
Apex Legends: 2 Year Anniversary Collection Event

It’s been two incredible years since we launched Apex Legends, and this year, we’re celebrating!

Starting February 9th and until February 23rd, we’re celebrating with a special Anniversary Collection Event. Jump in for free rewards, a special Collection Event featuring the return of fan-favorite looks, and the return of Locked and Loaded as a playlist Takeover.

Read on more below for details.

Anniversary Rewards​

apex-featured-image-two-year-anniversary-event.jpg.adapt.1456w.jpg

As a thank you for dropping with us, we’re loading up the Reward Track with 22 earnable items, including two Event Packs and ten Apex Packs.

Plus, during the event, you’ll receive five awards (three matching stat trackers for Bangalore, an Apex Pack, and an event badge) just for logging in for the first time.

Locked and Loaded Takeover​

Another Takeover is hitting the normal Play Apex playlist. In “Locked and Loaded”, hit the ground with a full loadout of level 1 gear. You’ll have a Mozambique, White Shotgun Bolt, HCOG Classic Scope, White Evo Shield, White Helmet, White Backpack, White Knockdown Shield, two Syringes, two Shield Cells, and one stack of shotgun ammo. What more could you possibly need, right?

All Common/White level attachments and equipment will also be removed from the loot pool (outside of Common scopes) during the takeover. Drop in and knock ’em out!

Seasonal Challenges​

To continue the celebration, we’re giving you some fun challenges to go after with new badges to earn.
apex-blog-image-two-year-anniversary-event-collection-event.jpg.adapt.1456w.jpg

• Get the “Daily Discovery” Nessie Badge by completing 75 Daily Challenges
  • “Respect your elders” and earn the Mozambique Badge by dealing 102,816 Damage (get the reference?)
  • Earn “Time to Win and Stay Alive” with 8 different Legends to get the Smolfinder Badge

apex-blog-image-two-year-anniversary-event-mozambique.jpg.adapt.1456w.jpg

Also, snag the “Mozambique Here” Weapon Charm by dealing 3,333 Damage with everyone’s favorite weapon to ping, the Mozambique. The Locked and Loaded takeover may help with this one.

We’re bringing back 24 fan-favorite items and giving them a fresh look with crimson red and gold touches. If you’ve missed out on a skin you really wanted in the past, now’s the time to snag it, but with a new look that lets others know you were here in the early days of Apex Legends.

Normally, unlocking all the items in a Collection Event unlocks a specific heirloom. But you only turn two once, so we’re mixing it up a little bit. Unlocking all items in the Collection Event will earn you 150 heirloom shards, so you can unlock any heirloom you want. And to make it a little bit easier to get there, for this one time only, the crafting cost for all items in the Collection Event has been reduced by 50%.

For collectors looking to get the most bang for your buck, check out our Anniversary event bundles featuring the new content.

apex-blog-image-two-year-anniversary-event-badges.jpg.adapt.1456w.jpg

Last edited:

Banned
I wish I could get into this. I really liked titanfall. Just not a fan of classes

titanfall 2 technically also had classes. the classes here are very similar with the only difference being that they have ultimate abilities in addition to their normal ones, and the classes also have overlap with Titanfall 2, Wraith has the Phase Shift, Pathfinder has the grapple hook, Octane has a Stim, Bloodhound has an ability similar to the Pulse Blade, and Mirage has something similar to Holo Pilot. so it's not that different IMO.
and the Titans in Titanfall 2 also were distinct classes.

CitizenZ

Banned
I watched Doc play a little today, wow, it is so slow to get into a fight. The maps need reduced or they need to get the count up to 200 per map. This game is basically PUBG but with fast movement. No fights until the very end, damn boring IMO.

Top Bottom