• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex Legends // 'You kill me, you're better. I kill you, I'm better.'

Banned
Funny how the best skins are only the paid ones

Makes sure I wont spend a dime on them

which skins would that be? I have a ton of great skins and I only ever payed 10 bucks for the first battle pass and haven't spent money on the game since.

for my main Octane alone I got like 6 legendary skins and have 4 of them set to my random favourites.

and the best skins that I have for him are skins you could get for free if you use your crafting metals wisely :) because that's how I got them

MMaRsu

Banned
which skins would that be? I have a ton of great skins and I only ever payed 10 bucks for the first battle pass and haven't spent money on the game since.

for my main Octane alone I got like 6 legendary skins and have 4 of them set to my random favourites.

and the best skins that I have for him are skins you could get for free if you use your crafting metals wisely :) because that's how I got them

The skins in the shops

Alx

It depends on the characters, I always thought that Gibraltar's default skins were especially boring, so are Pathfinder's or Wattson's. On the other hand Revenant, Rampart or Fuse have good ones.

Jebron

I'm very new to the game, been playing for about 2 weeks. Solo queue is a fucking nightmare, I have no friends that play and playing solo makes me want to smash my face on my desk. Learning the game solo is taking orders of magnitude longer than if I had people to play and communicate with. Most games I die within the first 1-2 fights (majority of the time it's this third-party bullshit), some games I go the entire game without a fight and get slaughtered by some sweatlord with 50k kills.

I really, really want to love this game, but playing solo is an absolute fucking NIGHTMARE. Titanfall 2 was one of my favourite games of all time, I was Gen 80 and I still go back occassionally. I love the Apex universe, the characters, the weapons and mechanics, but holy fuck the matchmaking is abysmal. Without having a mode I can hone my skills in, without having teammates to learn with/from, and with the insane learning curve, I'm not sure I'm going to last.

Alx

Well it does take some time to get accustomed to the game, Titanfall skills don't really translate to Apex (both Tf1 and Tf2 were my main games until Apex released). I remember that at launch I had troubles doing more than 100 damage in a game, let alone score some kills. :p
Maybe watching some youtube tutorials can help "getting it" faster, but mostly it's about having fun playing the game and getting better at it. I'd recommend focusing on learning to use the character abilities more than shooting skills, but that's because I'm still a bad shot after 2 years of practicing. :p (for people like me, characters like "hide in a corner" Crypto, "let the poison do the damage" Caustic or "at least I have the stuff I want" Loba are perfect).

Last edited:

DonF

I'm very new to the game, been playing for about 2 weeks. Solo queue is a fucking nightmare, I have no friends that play and playing solo makes me want to smash my face on my desk. Learning the game solo is taking orders of magnitude longer than if I had people to play and communicate with. Most games I die within the first 1-2 fights (majority of the time it's this third-party bullshit), some games I go the entire game without a fight and get slaughtered by some sweatlord with 50k kills.

I really, really want to love this game, but playing solo is an absolute fucking NIGHTMARE. Titanfall 2 was one of my favourite games of all time, I was Gen 80 and I still go back occassionally. I love the Apex universe, the characters, the weapons and mechanics, but holy fuck the matchmaking is abysmal. Without having a mode I can hone my skills in, without having teammates to learn with/from, and with the insane learning curve, I'm not sure I'm going to last.
Try duos, at least there you have more breathing room, since you don't get three coordinated dudes firing at you

Also, if you play on south america, tell me and I'll add you. If you are on playstation, try your local apex community, I add people from there to avoid playing alone. Pings are a basic form of communication but I swear to fucking god some people just don't give a shit.
If you like someone's play style, add them right away.

Jebron

Try duos, at least there you have more breathing room, since you don't get three coordinated dudes firing at you

Also, if you play on south america, tell me and I'll add you. If you are on playstation, try your local apex community, I add people from there to avoid playing alone. Pings are a basic form of communication but I swear to fucking god some people just don't give a shit.
If you like someone's play style, add them right away.
This is all awesome advice. I've added a few people last week that I've enjoyed playing with and got some wins with, but the majority of people are so clueless it's infuriating. I play on both Xbox and PS (I wish cross-progression was a thing!) but have had trouble finding like-minded people. I'll try the PS communities, I didn't think of that.

I play on NA and usually in the evenings, I'm a mid-30's father so my time is a bit limited but I would love to play with anyone that's chill and likes to communicate.

Alx

I play on both Xbox and PS (I wish cross-progression was a thing!) but have had trouble finding like-minded people.
I haven't tried it with Apex, but the "looking for groups" feature on Xbox is usually quite efficient at finding specific types of players. I know that in Sea of Thieves it helped a lot to find people based on their goals (quests, events, roleplay), language and microphone usage.

KrakenIPA

I finished week 3 goals last night, finalized the Anniversary goals, got a few wins along the way. Going from a casual drunkard putting up crosseyed zero-zeroes to a skillful 1v2 aggro in the last few weeks has been very satisfying for me.

I mostly main Loba or Horizon, and my fav weapons are Longbow and Mozam/EVA. I hope they get us back on the sniper/shotgun LTM again!

I can't believe I miss World's Edge. Olympus has so much open land to it. King's Crayon is still the top map.

Queuing solo is never a problem for me, if Randy wants to jump hot, pull from my box, spam the ping, or push by himself I just sit back and chuckle.

Guys, I caved and bought more coins.
Spent like 130 on this free game so far.
No ragrets.
I'm in that boat, paddling along with you mate. Probably about the same spent. Given the 2 year anniversary and sheer quality/quantity of updates this game has received I'm very happy to support Respawn with my wallet. Apex rules.

Tesseract

Banned
almost out of plat hell on my pub account, haven't had much time this season but i'm absolutely loving the current roster and king changes

fuse is a blast, brute force punishment between his knuckle cluster and amped nade supply

looking forward to the olympus switch

RPS37

Honest question
OyL7KWE.jpg

Doesn’t this look next gen?

Banned
The skins in the shops
all skins in the in game shops, aside from some event skins, are all obtainable via free loot boxes or crafting metals you get in said loot boxes

there are also exclusive skins you get with either of the starter packs which also give you enough coins to get the battle pass. those are not in the in game shop but on the Xbox/PSN/Steam/Origin store

Last edited:

Banned
Honest question
OyL7KWE.jpg

Doesn’t this look next gen?

the game doesn't have a proper Next Gen patch yet. it has a patch on Series X|S that somehow takes advantage of the hardware, but if anything all they did is increase some settings here and there.

also yes, it does... play it on base PS4 or even Pro and come back to me :messenger_tears_of_joy: THAT'S WHERE I HAVE TO PLAY DUE TO CROSS PRORESSION NOT BEING A THING YET! and every time I play on my Smurf on Series X or PC I am so sad that my main account is stuck on PS4 for now :(

MMaRsu

Banned
all skins in the in game shops, aside from some event skins, are all obtainable via free loot boxes or crafting metals you get in said loot boxes

there are also exclusive skins you get with either of the starter packs which also give you enough coins to get the battle pass. those are not in the in game shop but on the Xbox/PSN/Steam/Origin store

Can you still get the NES style Mastiff?

Batiman

Banned
Finally tried using the new rifle and it’s surprisingly powerfull. I’m still not sure how it works exactly with the charge up. I’m assuming like the peacekeeper? Just started playing again recently and love the new map redesign

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
like the peacekeeper minus the spread reduction since it's a single bullet per squeeze

30-30 is a lovely gun, olympus strident sweeps w / horizon are gonna be fun

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
I am struggling with this game. I die in every 1 v 1 scenario. My K/D in season 2 was 1.33. The first week of Apex season 8 I was 0.89 and now I'm down to 0.66. Most matches end with >200 damage in a good day.

Yesterday I had a full pink shield and full health, I was 10 meters to the side of the other guy who hadn't seen me yet but when he did he creamed me in 1 second 10 meters away. I saved the video replay and it was 1 second. In the video, the guy I was shooting at took 100% of my pink shield + 50% of my health in less than a second, with a 20 bullet machine gun. The other 50% health I had left disappeared in the following 0.2 seconds from a shotgun shot from my side. Didn't matter there was a second guy, the first one had me because I did him zero damage in the death report.

There are also some balance issues that are abhorrent in Apex and should raise concern in the developers meetings. I was on high ground on a sloped hill and I hid myself to let two enemies pass over me. I won myself the element of surprise, the high ground and I had a strong sniper. I was 1 v 2 but I outsmarted them. I was watching two guys walking away with their backs exposed 20 meters away and nowhere they could hide. I didn't do shit, because it doesn't matter if they are on their backs or not. The same pink shields that evaporate in 0.5seconds when I get hit, would give them enough time to somehow turn around and kill me in a second.

In any scenario, any sniper shot the back of the head should be an instant take down. There is no balance penalty for those two guys getting caught with their pants down. One of them should be instantly knocked down by my sniper headshot, and I would have to deal with the second guy with my secondary machine gun in a fair fight. This example could never happen in Apex.

So, I lost the ability to have fun in the game, because I find myself avoiding every confrontation due to being instantly creamed in every fight, and panic when any enemy appears. I play with two other friends and I can tell from their reactions they are not having fun either. There are no laughs or giggles after 1 hour of play. Just frustration.

I raged quit the game yesterday after the episode above, and started Modern Warfare free-for-all which I played non-stop for a year, which I haven't played in two weeks in favor of Apex. I'm good in COD, but the first few matches I was being as creamed as in Apex with 0-8 losses. What the hell. not one kill. The scarcity of fights in Apex made me lose the edge. It took me 4 matches to get some of the mojo and reflexes back.

Alx

There are also some balance issues that are abhorrent in Apex and should raise concern in the developers meetings. I was on high ground on a sloped hill and I hid myself to let two enemies pass over me. I won myself the element of surprise, the high ground and I had a strong sniper. I was 1 v 2 but I outsmarted them. I was watching two guys walking away with their backs exposed 20 meters away and nowhere they could hide. I didn't do shit, because it doesn't matter if they are on their backs or not. The same pink shields that evaporate in 0.5seconds when I get hit, would give them enough time to somehow turn around and kill me in a second.

In any scenario, any sniper shot the back of the head should be an instant take down.

I'm pretty sure that's by design, the devs wanted to make a game where you'd always have an opportunity to fight back even when taken by surprise. It's not like PUBG where you'd be killed instantly without knowing where the shot came from. You'd still have the upper hand by jumping on someone from a higher position, but it's no guarantee for victory.
Also it's based on teamplay, so 1 vs 2 will always be hard to win. You say you play with friends, that's the opportunity to use team communication and strategy to overcome other players, it's not all about shooting accuracy.

Jebron

I am struggling with this game. I die in every 1 v 1 scenario. My K/D in season 2 was 1.33. The first week of Apex season 8 I was 0.89 and now I'm down to 0.66. Most matches end with >200 damage in a good day.

Yesterday I had a full pink shield and full health, I was 10 meters to the side of the other guy who hadn't seen me yet but when he did he creamed me in 1 second 10 meters away. I saved the video replay and it was 1 second. In the video, the guy I was shooting at took 100% of my pink shield + 50% of my health in less than a second, with a 20 bullet machine gun. The other 50% health I had left disappeared in the following 0.2 seconds from a shotgun shot from my side. Didn't matter there was a second guy, the first one had me because I did him zero damage in the death report.

In any scenario, any sniper shot the back of the head should be an instant take down. There is no balance penalty for those two guys getting caught with their pants down. One of them should be instantly knocked down by my sniper headshot, and I would have to deal with the second guy with my secondary machine gun in a fair fight. This example could never happen in Apex.

So, I lost the ability to have fun in the game, because I find myself avoiding every confrontation due to being instantly creamed in every fight, and panic when any enemy appears. I play with two other friends and I can tell from their reactions they are not having fun either. There are no laughs or giggles after 1 hour of play. Just frustration.

I raged quit the game yesterday after the episode above, and started Modern Warfare free-for-all which I played non-stop for a year, which I haven't played in two weeks in favor of Apex. I'm good in COD, but the first few matches I was being as creamed as in Apex with 0-8 losses. What the hell. not one kill. The scarcity of fights in Apex made me lose the edge. It took me 4 matches to get some of the mojo and reflexes back.
Yeah, this sums up Apex. My experience with solo queue is about the same, frustrating. I'm at the point now where instead of queuing up in Apex I just punch myself in the face three times and go play something else. I should probably just delete the game at this point.

Boss Mog

The Caustic takeover should've been his very own mausoleum because Respawn just killed him. I'm a Caustic main (though I pretty much play everybody to some extent) but I don't see any reason to use him ever again.

Banned
so I played the Switch version just now...

😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😭😭😭😭

omg, I'm so sorry for any Switch player that gets into a lobby with even a single PS4/Xbox player... fucking hell man!

my lobby was either full with idiots or full of Switch players, hard to distinguish as I played like an idiot as well on that thing.

BUT I won and I was kill leader... so yeah... I played like I was drunk as hell, missed 90% of my Shots and still won and was kill leader, THAT should be a good example on how bad this version is. I only won because I'm good on the other versions.

but where to begin with this dumbsterfire?
well, first the resolution in Handheld mode is so low it looks like you went legally blind.

then the framerate is an unstable 30fps

the controls have noticeable input lag, and not because it is 30fps, the PS4 also goes down to 30fps in certain spots but the lag never feels as bad as here

YOU CAN'T USE ADVANCED LOOK SETTINGS WHILE USING JOYCONS... why? I don't know why, ask the idiots at panic button...

the button mapping during gameplay is based on the same POSITIONS as on PS4 and Xbox, meaning the top button Y/Triangle/X is weapon switching... so far so good... THE MENU MAPPING THO is based on the LABELS of the Xbox version. so Xbox X = Switch X.
what does that mean? well if you are in your inventory X is switching weapons BUT ALSO drop item!
usually on Xbox, Y is weapon switching and X is dropping item.
what happened is that I wanted to switch my weapon in order to equip a sight on it, but all that happened is I dropped the sight... great!

the FOV is fixed at a very low setting

textures sometimes don't load so you have invisible grenades in your hand.

this version is a joke xD the fact that they even tried to bring a game that drops to 720p30 on PS4 to the freaking Switch is laughable to be honest, and the results are not as bad as I thought but still very bad.

sadly I couldn't try landing at Elysium on Olympus as the event currently locks the map to Kings Canyon. Elysium is a spot where the PS4 can drop to 30fps, so I wonder how that will fair on Switch lol

on a good note, the Gyro Aiming is pretty good... it's 30fps so it will feel a bit shit no Matter what, but given that many devs fuck this up beyond belief, this is surprising

Last edited:

😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😭😭😭😭

omg, I'm so sorry for any Switch player that gets into a lobby with even a single PS4/Xbox player... fucking hell man!

my lobby was either full with idiots or full of Switch players, hard to distinguish as I played like an idiot as well on that thing.

BUT I won and I was kill leader... so yeah... I played like I was drunk as hell, missed 90% of my Shots and still won and was kill leader, THAT should be a good example on how bad this version is. I only won because I'm good on the other versions.

well, first the resolution in Handheld mode is so low it looks like you went legally blind.

the controls have noticeable input lag, and not because it is 30fps, the PS4 also goes down to 30fps in certain spots but the lag never feels as bad as here

YOU CAN'T USE ADVANCED LOOK SETTINGS WHILE USING JOYCONS... why? I don't know why, ask the idiots at panic button...

the button mapping during gameplay is based on the same POSITIONS as on PS4 and Xbox, meaning the top button Y/Triangle/X is weapon switching... so far so good... THE MENU MAPPING THO is based on the LABELS of the Xbox version. so Xbox X = Switch X.
what does that mean? well if you are in your inventory X is switching weapons BUT ALSO drop item!
what happened is that I wanted to switch my weapon in order to equip a sight on it, but all that happened is I dropped the sight... great!

this version is a joke xD the fact that they even tried to bring a game that drops to 720p30 on PS4 to the freaking Switch is laughable to be honest, and the results are not as bad as I thought but still very bad.

sadly I couldn't try landing at Elysium on Olympus as the event currently locks the map to Kings Canyon. Elysium is a spot where the PS4 can drop to 30fps, so I wonder how that will fair on Switch lol

on a good note, the Gyro Aiming is pretty good... it's 30fps so it will feel a bit shit no Matter what, but given that many devs fuck this up beyond belief, this is surprising

TBH my buddies and are are sort of looking forward to stomping some Switch players new to the game. We've been sweating it out for 2 seasons now, it's been pretty rough even with a made squad. We could do with some ego stroking playing on our Xboxes.

Alx

All the event skins are great. I'm tempted to buy the Revenant+packs bundle and gamble for a few ones, but I think I'll rather use my reward points to buy the Loba skin that I really want (although Revenant is second). Maybe I'll have time to collect enough for an additional random pack.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I heard this dropped on Switch. It is pretty rough apparently.

Banned
I heard this dropped on Switch. It is pretty rough apparently.

I'm a Diamond rank player (might go for masters this season... never had the time or motivation to grind up to it) on PS4, you can read my thought a few posts up... yeah it is fucking awful

😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😭😭😭😭

Alx

All the event skins are great. I'm tempted to buy the Revenant+packs bundle and gamble for a few ones, but I think I'll rather use my reward points to buy the Loba skin that I really want (although Revenant is second). Maybe I'll have time to collect enough for an additional random pack.
I caved in and bought enough coins to get the Revenant bundle plus the Loba skin. The event packs gave me the Pathfinder skin (great), Rampart (ok but my least favorite) and a purple Triple Rifle (meh)
Glad to finally have a great skin for Loba and Path.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Our King has unfortunately fallen. Long like King Tessy. I'll keep flying the flag even if you're gone.

KC is trash but the new event made it more interesting to play.

Had nice little team saving start to the match (skip to 1.50 to get started) -

On my ALT GT had some nice action recently too -

1. Solo squad wipe (skip to 1.15) -

2. Took a solo win after near 20mins where my two squad mates quit at 3mins -

3. Nice 7 kill run at the start of the match (I love the devotion) -

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

Will they ever give us all 3 maps? I am sooo missing WE right now. Will any two other legends on my team drop where I drop? Does Jumpmaster mean anything anymore? Do I have to buy the CausticCowboy skin to run this clown rodeo?!

I'm liking the wingman+tripletake combo lately (I'm always trying to flank). Armor switching is getting easier and easier. Delaying some of my teammates' revives has netted me a few enemy squad wipes that were...satisfactory.

KrakenIPA

I got a win! I jump master jumped far 3xloot tower on Olympus, and the ring ended there as well! I was Path, with rando Caustic/Blood. I respawned Blood early, and then he respawned me! Running Spit2x-Winger the whole game. I ping the survey beacon as Path every time, I'm such a dumbass, but I also pingd final win location before we jumped. Pretty cool!

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

How did Tess get banned? 😭
I'm not sure, I hope it's a temp just cause he's so active in this thread. Most likely he was sharing his conspiracy theory involving Pluto (the planet), A. Navalny, the northern lights, Cracker Barrel, Pluto (the dog), agnosticsm, and Frampton Comes Alive. What can ya do?

Top Bottom