• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I Don't Think a Four-Year Degree is Necessary to Be Proficient at Coding'

oagboghi2

I'm a react developer. No CS degree. It can be done.

Hard as hell though. I will probably get a masters in CS in the future, just to improve my general skills

And yet every single developer job currently advertised at Apple require a BS or MS degree.

:pie_eyeroll:
Those aren't real requirements. They are there to weed out applicants.

I know for a fact their are people at Apple who don't have a degree. Same as with google.

If you are interested, network on linkedIn and apply

Last edited:

hivsteak

Then what good is your HTML degree if there's nearly no openings outside a few rare ones here and there? That's a simple example even you can follow.
I can’t speak for every college, but the one I went to was 5 classes per semester. Thats 40 classes over 4 years. There are strict degree requirements that include much more than the topic/field stated on your degree. If a student is getting an HTML degree, which is purely an example you’ve given and not a real degeee, they’re also taking general education courses, math, writing, CSS, and computer science courses. They aren’t just learning HTML. They’re getting a well rounded education.

the biggest issues is that your college degree and education has to focus around a safe bet. If you get a Gender studies or basketweaving degree your basically screwed unless you happen to have gotten your degree at a time some companies were actually hiring for those but those categories aren't ever in high-demand so having millions in "gender studies" classes will inevitably screw most of the people involved over.
Again a basketweaving or gender studies degree encompasses much more than just that topic. Those people aren’t screwed over. They chose a degree they were interested in. Nobody forced them to pick that degree. They might have thought it would be a good idea if there are more jobs available in that field, maybe even felt pressured, but thats not a failing of college. That is society’s fault for putting that pressure on them or even their own will to succeed that pushed them. They just netted a college education and that is more valuable than being successful. 18 - 21 year olds are young and have no idea what they’re doing, its okay to pick a shit degree there is plenty of time to adapt and make up for it later.

Colleges know that millions of people are not going to make it, and many are backed by the Gov, so why would they not raise the price knowing that they get rich even if you fail?
College is not meant to make someone succeed its meant to educate them further. I don’t know enough behind why college prices keep rising. Private colleges can charge whatever they want, their employees and benefactors sure are getting rich. Community and state colleges should remain affordable.

Most people who don't become big (most people) but are either mildly successful or not successful are also not usually in a field they went to school for.
Thats doesn’t matter. They have an education. Things changes over time would you want to work in the same field your entire life? Sometimes people have no choice but to change.

You can't have 3 million students get "gender studies" degrees with minors in "race relations" and think that all 3 million of those people will have access to jobs in that field. This is a fact that you can't seem to understand.
I understand it well. I’m hoping you’ll understand where I’m coming from after reading my post.

You're not just learning coding through a CS degree. You're learning a lot more. Some of your coding classes won't even have you touch a computer during it. Some will be nothing but math. It's like saying you don't need any kind of formal education in English to write a good story, you don't but you're potentially missing out on a wealth of problem-solving techniques, logics and more that Google won't easily answer. If you're serious about being a programmer it's one of the few degrees that will nearly certainly pay for itself. If you aren't willing to go the route of formal education you can make things work but that means starting at a lower rung and working your way up the old-fashioned way (boot-strapping and all). Plenty of viability in either route regardless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom