• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Event Peek Performance | March 8, 2022

TrebleShot

The form factor is delicious in these and makes those monster gaming pc look a bit awkward like they belong in the 90s same with the gaming consoles I would LOVE an Apple console. M1 ultra whew

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I’m probably going to pull the trigger on the display and maybe the Mac Studio. If not that then the Mac Mini.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So, funny story: win11 for arm has an x86 emulator built in, opening the possibility of running 64 bit windows programs on macs - but qualcomm and windows have an exclusivity deal, until it expires bootcamp cannot be back.

Last edited:

jimmypython

Man that M1 Ultra Mac Studio is so appealing to my workflow....

Hope to convince my work to get one.

But I also want one for myself....not sure if my wife will be happy for that 6k+ CAD price tag :(

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Nice to see them adding the green colors to the iPhone lineup. Can’t wait to see benchmarks for the M1 ultra.

McCheese

$2,000 for the base Mac Studio is really good, it's such a shame more games don't get native Mac ports as that could replace a pretty top-end gaming rig with those specs at a comparable price.

DrAspirino

Banned
Mac Studio with M1 Ultra is at an affordable starting price of $3999. lol
If you put it next to the equipment pro users have to do their job, it's actually quite affordable.

For example, this Grass Valley 4K "professional" camera costs 39,000 british pounds, which is over 20 times the cost of the Mac Studio.

And that's for just ONE camera.

And let's not even talk about the RED cameras, that costs an arm and a leg, and even Linus Sebastian from LTT has very few of them due to the extremely high price.

So, for us, normal users, US$3999 for a computer is nuts. For a pro (users whom this mac is aimed to), is peanuts.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
BBGkNrV.jpg
UcNvfYq.jpg

I'm trying to think of a joke that references "A Wii is just two Gamecubes duct taped together" meme, but none of them are funny.

Apple is doing amazing work with their home designed silicon.

BeardGawd

Banned
$2,000 for the base Mac Studio is really good, it's such a shame more games don't get native Mac ports as that could replace a pretty top-end gaming rig with those specs at a comparable price.
Are we sure these measure up to AMD and Nvidia gpus in all areas? Or is Apple only highlighting favorable specs that have other bottlenecks in the real world?

Burger

Our professional workstations start at around £40,000. That's 4x 3090's, Supermicro, Blackmagic 8K+ etc.

I'm not saying this could replace these, but they could easily do some of the smaller workstations. Just need the software to come along a little.

Pagusas

Elden Member
That Studio is great looking.
They also make the Switch SoC.
The next Switch's SoC would already be complete, so nVidia's likely very good there. And I don't think apple is licensing or selling the M1 to anyone else in the world right now, so hard to feel like they are competition when they are in a different market, don't care about games, and aren't selling/licensing to anyone else. AMD and Intel are both probably looking at their future roadmaps with concern right now though.

McCheese

Are we sure these measure up to AMD and Nvidia gpus in all areas? Or is Apple only highlighting favorable specs that have other bottlenecks in the real world?

Native games on the M1 Max run incredibly well, similar to 2070 performance. There are just barely any games that use Metal for the graphics API and use something like MoltenVK which wraps it, but with a performance hit. The paradox games for example have PC, Mac and Linux ports but the latter two run like absolute shit even on equal hardware.

Zeroing

Banned
I really love working on a 120hz 4k TV, so hopefully a new mac mini would support that. I hate the 60hz now.
I think it does, not sure, I gave up on external monitors long time ago because of color correction/calibration issues…

dottme

In real world, I would think not that great. A lot of games are optimized for AMD/Nvidia GPU which use a different architecture than Apple. Games which are optimized for Metal are actually running really well.
the wall Apple is facing is to get more people to support their architecture.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I think it does, not sure, I gave up on external monitors long time ago because of color correction/calibration issues…
Current mac mini is HDMI 2.0. There might be a thunderbolt converter etc., but too much gimmicks for me to look into right now.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Current mac mini is HDMI 2.0. There might be a thunderbolt converter etc., but too much gimmicks for me to look into right now.
Yeah you’ll need an adapter and you still might have issues with your TV. That’s why I’m still waiting for an iMac, easier.

Dr Bass

Yeah you’ll need an adapter and you still might have issues with your TV. That’s why I’m still waiting for an iMac, easier.
You might be waiting awhile.

They specifically called out 27 inch iMac users saying now is a good time to switch. The new Studio display combined with a Mac Mini or a Mac Studio seems like the "new 27" setup" now. I don't see why they would make an iMac that that was basically the studio monitor combined with the internals of either the Mini or the Studio. It's just too much overlap.

Now they might release a larger iMac Pro. But that's speculation now, and it would likely be quite expensive. They specifically also said the last Mac left to transition is the Mac Pro.

So, I could be wrong, but the 27" iMac might be finished.

Zeroing

Banned
You might be waiting awhile.

They specifically called out 27 inch iMac users saying now is a good time to switch. The new Studio display combined with a Mac Mini or a Mac Studio seems like the "new 27" setup" now. I don't see why they would make an iMac that that was basically the studio monitor combined with the internals of either the Mini or the Studio. It's just too much overlap.

Now they might release a larger iMac Pro. But that's speculation now, and it would likely be quite expensive. They specifically also said the last Mac left to transition is the Mac Pro.

So, I could be wrong, but the 27" iMac might be finished.
Yeah I don’t understand Apple, all I wanted was an iMac with bigger screen and more ram! I still think the current iMac is more for casuals and I need something betwen casual and super professional!

Dr Bass

Yeah I don’t understand Apple, all I wanted was an iMac with bigger screen and more ram! I still think the current iMac is more for casuals and I need something betwen casual and super professional!
And just like that ...

I think a bigger iMac could be coming (since there are so many rumors, I certainly don't have insight).

I think the way to go in this case would be a Mac desktop of some sort depending on your power level needs and a third party monitor. Or the studio monitor. Or of course wait for the potentially larger iMac but it would almost surely be very costly.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

You can always pick the studio and a 3rd party screen.

Zeroing

Banned
You can always pick the studio and a 3rd party screen.
I’ll need to look up if there would be calibration issues, it happened to me on the past!

Or I might just give up and buy the studio display and the Mac studio.
I dunno I’ll need to think about it.

Editaur

Been long waiting for these Mac Studios.

Already have a few LG Ultra fine Ergos so not going to bother with their overpriced displays.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
That monitor is making my decision difficult. I might just finally pull the trigger on an iMac 24" instead of getting the Studio Monitor and Mac Mini combo. Nothing I do on my desktop will require processing power beyond the base M1 chip, I think. A solid display would be real ideal though.

Any news on the next major iOS update?
WWDC probably?

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I know it’s really expensive but I can’t help but look at the size of the max studio and imagine if Apple made a console with that kind of power.

-There has to be some sort of advantage of unifying/sharing the power of High amounts of RAM+RAM bandwidth, CPU, GPU, NPU all in one.
-It's a shame with all this raw processing power that there are no 4k 60fps games being built natively from the ground up such as: God of War, Horizon Dawn, etc
-Apple needs to make their own in-house 1st party game studios, not necessarily another console.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Why do they have that stupid graph that it's just as powerful as NVIDIA 3090 with 200W less power? The whole point of 3090 is, that it has raytracing and dlss!

Generally speaking, they're interested on GPUs either as accelerators for tasks (think video rendering and encoding) and as visualization for art and design programs (in which case the program will have it's own raytracing renderer to show the scene). Think professional, not consumer.

LordOfChaos

Be nice to see the next macOS really take advantage of Neural Engine on the mac. And I don't just mean silly things like gating Intel macs away from the globe view in Apple Maps when they could run Google Maps just fine for years, but things that take advantage of a true low power neural accelerator. Do things for you before you need them, that kind of thing. You're renaming a bunch of files and it goes, hey I get this pattern, want me to take a shot at finishing, that sort of thing would be cool.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Monday's wwdc. We'll need a new thread.

Be nice to see the next macOS really take advantage of Neural Engine on the mac. And I don't just mean silly things like gating Intel macs away from the globe view in Apple Maps when they could run Google Maps just fine for years, but things that take advantage of a true low power neural accelerator. Do things for you before you need them, that kind of thing. You're renaming a bunch of files and it goes, hey I get this pattern, want me to take a shot at finishing, that sort of thing would be cool.

Unfortunately, the macos division is still lead by fedehrighi(sp?) who weirdly enough is liked by fans but since 2016 quality and innovations from apple desktop OS have essentially dwindled. The only thing he seems to care is for macos become ios keyboard edition.

Top Bottom