• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple is in talks to buy EA

This is why Ms started buying stuff... it's due to companies like Apple, Amazon and Google. But honestly EA is...just there for me. I wouldn't care much
That's how I felt about Activision. It's basically just Call of Duty, which doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.

EA isn't much better, but thry have BioWare and Mass Effect as well as Dead Space.

SantaC

"EA seems to be in a hurry to finalize a deal"

are they in debt or something? Why are they in a hurry.

Last edited:

Helghan

I really don't understand why Disney doesn't do this. There are only a handful of companies that can make this buy, to who it would make sense. Disney with their crazy amount of IP's is definitely one of them.

I can't see the end goal of Apple buying them. What are their intentions with EA? They don't just buy companies to have them. They get incorporated into Apple's ecosystem, and you're not going to get these type of developers make arcade games...

Google should've went for it a couple of years ago if they were serious about Stadia.

Microsoft doesn't dare to do this while the Activision Blizzard deal isn't closed.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This isn't going to fit well with their take over on Nintendo and SONY though.
One of those might be true

secret smell GIF

BlueHawk

Neo Member
Hope they gobble it up.
Would be great filler for their Apple Arcade.
Apple are already much bigger than Sony+Microsoft, so it’s only a matter of time.

Here we go. Apple Pippin 2: It's Happening!!!

Kidding aside, I guess rumors of them doing some gaming system are true after all. I'm actually interested to see what they can do in that regard; I welcome the chaos of having four console platform holders again, particularly when one of them is an outsider (relatively speaking) who might have some unique ideas that incumbents would not due to being in the game for so long.

Nobody is out bidding them if they want EA bad enough.

That practically goes without saying...

They won't be able to with most of the licensed titles. The problem with EA is that it is basically either GaaS games like Apex, or licensed titles like FIFA, NFL, F1, WRC. Star Wars is negotiable, but everything else? DICE is run into the ground, Bioware is in heavy decline...I think Sims though have a ports on Mac OS.

I have been advocating for Disney, but alas.

No need. They have nothing but name now...

Disney simply doesn't have the money for it. They have to worry about Disney+ growth/retention, and took out a TON of loans to have the money for the Fox acquisition (money they are still paying back, BTW). So another $50 billion or so for EA is just out of the question for a long time.

Considering it seems EA's ideal mergers are with other non-gaming media companies, I think WB might actually be possible for a merger. Plus after giving up FIFA (and who knows, they might have to give up the NFL license exclusivity some day, too), EA would probably like access to things like the DC licenses and WB would probably like to have teams that can do more variety of games for their IP as well as other more consistent revenue streams in gaming (Apex Legends, Madden, etc.).

So if it's not Apple acquiring them, it'll probably be a merger with WB.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Not going to lie. I have played Apple Arcade more than I have Game Pass the last couple of months. I'm not sure why some people are scared of Apple getting bigger into video games. I'm no more worried about them and what they would do than I am Sony and Microsoft.

Zeroing

Banned
Apple never made big acquisitions, although they are developing their own VR headset, Apple always had the approach of was always "here is the product, devs, use it"
Apple still operates like they are that small 90's coorporation. Minimum effort for tons of income, they are not even creative anymore. I do think these "news" is just a "shot" at Microsoft. Apple lost the Epic lawsuit (where MS joined by free will ). Apple is still making a tour saying how their appstore will be filled with virus etc... anyone remember when they lawsuit companies with names of fruits? Yeah it is not that far fetched.

But I still think Apple will not buy EA.
One of those might be true

secret smell GIF
It is so obvious whom ...

ZehDon

Microsoft's moves looking more like pre-emptive strikes every day. This is what they saw coming.

For me, EA doesn't really have much outside of Bioware's titles, however, there is no denying they are a monster, and have an unspeakably good back catalogue. If Apple want to step into the ring, picking up EA in its entirety is a hell of an opener.

FStubbs

They won't be able to with most of the licensed titles. The problem with EA is that it is basically either GaaS games like Apex, or licensed titles like FIFA, NFL, F1, WRC. Star Wars is negotiable, but everything else? DICE is run into the ground, Bioware is in heavy decline...I think Sims though have a ports on Mac OS.

I have been advocating for Disney, but alas.

No need. They have nothing but name now...
Apple: We will no longer produce Android versions of Madden.
NFL: We want it on every platform.
Apple: We don't consider Android a legitimate platform.
NFL: Our contract says ...
Apple: Hmm?
NFL: ... we understand. No Android version.

Remember, EA got away with not supporting Nintendo for a few years.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Two companies I dislike. Perfect.

To people worried: This is basically how a forest fire freshens up an ecosystem. Big conglomerates buy up studios that should die already, tanking the parent company and dissolving the bought company. All we need is a AAA crash.

Last edited:

sainraja

I mean, I don't mind if Apple purchases them. I love the ecosystem set up by Apple and would love to see what they will do. I can see Apple making and doing things that will seem uncharacteristic of what 'people' expect a console maker to do.

Last edited:

oldergamer

"EA seems to be in a hurry to finalize a deal"

are they in debt or something? Why are they in a hurry.
The reporting on all of this is false. Nbc Universal did not have a deal in place. Apple isnt buying them. They literally have been pushing this story but its NOT REAL

Dear Phil, given the size of Tencent, Sony, Nintendo and others just go ahead and buy EA then go through the hassle of monopoly review, again.

Also, fuck Apple.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
I mean, I don't mind if Apple purchases them. I love the ecosystem set up by Apple and would love to see what they will do. I can see Apple making and doing things that will seem uncharacteristic of what 'people' expect a console maker to do.
Thankfully it's only really the US for now, but the stranglehold Apple have on US consumer computers is very concerning.

EDMIX

Would make sense for Apple, Amazon and Google tbh.

If they want to enter gaming in a massive way, this is a huge publisher to buy that has many, many different genres. Apple buying them if they want to be a 3rd party publisher, I don't really care...however if its to just make some Apple exclusive horseshit, nah....i'm out lol

1lbqon.jpg

I still like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Dead Space, The Sims and Battlefield.

However, i'm not buying some Apple device to play 5 fucking games lol

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
EA only have a couple of things I care about - Respawn's games - and it seems like titanfall3 has been forgotten about, meaning Apex Legends is all I'd miss if Apple do buy them up and make everything exclusive to platforms I don't have. I do use a mac for work, but no interest in playing games on it. Partly on a practical level - Imagine if they started releasing games for mac. People crying about the cost of next gen storage at the moment wouldn't know what hit them when they see how much apple charges for that extra 512Gb.

Last edited:

BlueHawk

Neo Member
Not going to lie. I have played Apple Arcade more than I have Game Pass the last couple of months. I'm not sure why some people are scared of Apple getting bigger into video games. I'm no more worried about them and what they would do than I am Sony and Microsoft.
Agree kinda.
My most played? For me it’s:

#1 Gamepass
#2 Apple Arcade
#3 PS5

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Do you think they'll require that games only use one button?

Top Bottom