• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple is in talks to buy EA

Roni

Gold Member
The fate of every company that goes public and then needs to abide by Friedman's ideas: they're handed to people obsessed with quarterly profit and it eventually breaks the company.

Last edited:
Apple should definitely use their cash on a nice acquisition but I don’t think EA is the right target.
Please let them get a really shitty acquisition. Please, please! I don't want a shit company like Apple to make games, exclusive. I don't care for any of EA stuff, but please take a less shittier company, so that games don't become synonymous with Apple. They will single handedly fuck up the gaming industry, if they choose to do so.

reinking

Gold Member
Industry on a death spiral.
Joe Biden Reaction GIF by The Democrats

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
a lot of people will be in for a shock if apple is making moves to enter the gaming industry. they won't stop at EA. They can buy anyone. They are a multi trillion dollar company. In terms of finances only Microsoft would have a chance of competing with them and they just made a $70 billion acquisition. Expect Apple to be spending similar or even more.

If this is really happening it'll be interesting to see what the next 5-10 years in gaming will look like. It could be 1994-2001 all over again. The fall of SEGA and the rise of Sony/Microsoft. There is no doubt if Apple enter the market they will quickly become a huge player. Is there enough room for Sony, Microsoft, Apple, and Nintendo? Someone might need to make some space.

Last edited:

yurinka

I don't care about who buys them, I think the last EA games I bought were Dead Space and Mirror's Edge.

This is why Ms started buying stuff... it's due to companies like Apple, Amazon and Google. But honestly EA is...just there for me. I wouldn't care much

That MS quote of Apple Amazon and Google being their competitors and not Sony or Nintendo was only an excuse to move away the attention away from the fact that MS is behind Sony and Nintendo.

There is no point for them to worry about Apple Arcade, Amazon Luna or Stadia. They should worry about PS5, Switch, the new PS+, which is their direct competition.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
It feels so surreal that these huge gaming corporations can just be bought by even larger corporations like it's nothing.

Now, I don't care about Apple, and I've only bought one EA game in the past 10 years, so I don't really care about this specific news per se, but still... I miss the days when there were dozens upon dozens of midsized publishers, instead of only a handful.

Japan seems to be the last bastion for independent studio's.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
As long its not MS, im fine with anyone including Tencent or the Saudis buying EA

Please let them get a really shitty acquisition. Please, please! I don't want a shit company like Apple to make games, exclusive. I don't care for any of EA stuff, but please take a less shittier company, so that games don't become synonymous with Apple. They will single handedly fuck up the gaming industry, if they choose to do so.
Quite funny saying they will single handedly fuck up the gaming industry when we’ve arguably had the pioneers of MTX, battle passes and NFTs already do that for years and years now (Epic, EA, Ubisoft etc with more on the way… looking at you Square Enix NFTs)

I’d argue that Apple have more consumer friendly policies than many gaming publishers do today. Look at other comparable services:

1) Apple TV+ | Quality over quantity approach; big budget shows with talented creative teams, closer to HBO than Netflix

2) Apple Arcade | A cheap, flat subscription service for mobile games which have no microtransactions, so none of the game is locked behind a paywall beyond your subscription payment (which can be family shared).

If anything, I’d expect them to operate closer to Sony’s model of high quality AAA budget focus rather than NFT and MTX crap if they entered the gaming market.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Actually I suppose apple just wants them for their VR and or console.......if they ever release either.

Pejo

Do any of you guys stop and ask yourselves why these huge (profitable) 3rd party publishers are courting someone to purchase them suddenly?

To me it seems like they expect a crash or a recession and are liquidating to not be sitting on a pile of stuff that people can't afford when the shit hits the fan. That and the union thing probably scares the shit out of them.

It just seems very suspicious that this is going on within the past 12 months.

tommib

EA is a big buy. However, Apple is known for doing only things that benefit Apple products, so an Apple console must be coming.
Not sure about this. It’s a way to introduce Apple to AAA gaming/gamers. You start your EA game in your console and immediately get an Apple logo. Like watching CODA on a film theatre. It’s brand management and brand expansion. They don’t need to develop a console.

UnNamed

Banned
The irony. Apple is not new to buy companies for products they made, downgrade them and then dismantle the projects.

jaysius

Banned
Maybe this is part of Apple's fetish for entering the game console market.

Imagine how awful an EA console would be?

SoraNoKuni

Hopefully they never enter the gaming space, but that seems... improbable.

I just hate apple's mentality and I really don't want them to force the market to have "premium" gaming consoles and "premium" anything.

Stuart360

That MS quote of Apple Amazon and Google being their competitors and not Sony or Nintendo was only an excuse to move away the attention away from the fact that MS is behind Sony and Nintendo.

There is no point for them to worry about Apple Arcade, Amazon Luna or Stadia. They should worry about PS5, Switch, the new PS+, which is their direct competition.
No. The interview where Phil said that was a XCloud interview, and he was talking about streaming.
Its been explained many times on here, even with the video being posted, but people just love to carry on this nonsense.

Three

"EA seems to be in a hurry to finalize a deal"

are they in debt or something? Why are they in a hurry.
I was wondering the same thing in the other thread. Their quarterly was positive. Why are they so desperate for a merger or acquisition. Are big publishers predicting a crash?

Stuart360

I was wondering the same thing in the other thread. Their quarterly was positive. Why are they so desperate for a merger or acquisition. Are big publishers predicting a crash?
Fifa is their cash cow, i'm sure they are worried about losing the license.
Imo i think its abuit ridiiculous as the vast majority of Fifa players will understand that the new football game is Fifa in all but name, but thats what happens with companies sometimes, they concentrate of the worst case scenario.

jorgejjvr

Because MS are more likely to keep certain games off PlayStation like they did with Bethesda. They've bought enough. Lazy company that thinks it can buy success.
MS would happily allow their games on PS if Sony allowed gamepass on their system

Trust me, MS wants gp on every device with a screen if they could

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
This would be huge if it occurs. EA is a giant in the viseogame world. Seeing a planet-eating Transformer being devoured by an even bigger planet-eater is quite the sight. That said, I have no idea what would happen if Apple owned EA. Would everything become exclusive to Apple’s platforms? Would Apple attempt to release a dedicated games console against Nintendo, Sony & Microsoft? Would multi-platform publishing continue?

yurinka

No. The interview where Phil said that was a XCloud interview, and he was talking about streaming.
Its been explained many times on here, even with the video being posted, but people just love to carry on this nonsense.
Even if he was only talking about xCloud the same applies: xCloud and GP was basically their own implementation of the long term vision of PS Now announced many years before, with the main difference being MS is more focused on day one games and including all their games there day one.

It has differences with Sony's cloud gaming (now less once the new PS+ gets released) but definetively is way more similar to Sony and competes for the same audience (console and PC gamers interested on a catalog of hundreds of AAA and indies) than it is compared to Amazon Luna, Apple Arcade or Google Stadia.

And not only that, Stadia and Luna pretty likely have a small userbase because in addition to having a way smaller catalog and no exclusives Luna is in alpha only available in USA, Stadia scaled down and is almost out of the business so they must be a way smaller and less important competition than Sony game subs.

MS would happily allow their games on PS if Sony allowed gamepass on their system

Trust me, MS wants gp on every device with a screen if they could
It makes sense to want to put their services and products in as much places as possible to get more revenue. But also seems they also want to publish on non MS platforms (both GP and I assume their own digital store) without paying the 30% to their platform holders, which I also understand why they want this, but obviously I also understand why Apple, Google, Nintendo or Sony won't allow it.

Last edited:

yurinka

"EA seems to be in a hurry to finalize a deal"

are they in debt or something? Why are they in a hurry.
It's only unjustified nonsensical drama. EA or the other publishers aren't in a hurry begging to sell their companies.
EA and the other ones are in a great finantial shape, in a growing trend and nothing points that it would change during the next years.
They have no reason to buy, I think these stories are total bullshit.

yurinka

'Been in talks' so might be over or might still be ongoing

I think this acquisition would raise more concerns than the ABK one personally.
EA is pretty smaller than ABK in both PC, console and mobile, so would be less important. ABK acquisition doesn't have any impact on the gaming market since who bought won't be market leaders.

Top Bottom