• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple makes MORE money in gaming than the Big 3 combine [Visual Capitalist]

Interfectum

Why hasn't mobile gaming "replaced" console and PC gaming then?

blake shelton shrug GIF by The Voice
I mean, you have both Sony and MS scrambling to get their content on any device, especially MS who is directly targeting mobile and touch screen consoles. There has been no replacement but they want to reach those mobile gamers as that number absolutely dwarfs available console gamers.

lachesis

That earning is not much different from government taking tax from everything you do.
Long time Apple fan and a Mac user since Apple II and original Mackintosh - but as a gamer I shrug at that numbers.

Also I always rooted apple because I deemed them as underdog from inception - but now they become so big, it became the epitome of hypocritical mega corporation that I grew up despising.
(And not having their stock doesn't help - totally my fault because I wanted to buy their stock during Power PC days, but was too broke and living paycheck to paycheck back then.. ;))

Topher

Gold Member
I mean, you have both Sony and MS scrambling to get their content on any device, especially MS who is directly targeting mobile and touch screen consoles. There has been no replacement but they want to reach those mobile gamers as that number absolutely dwarfs available console gamers.

Right. My comment was tongue-in-cheek, but you are exactly right. The companies are always looking into expanding into new areas if there is money to be made.

Spyxos

As a Mac user and Apple fan since the darkest days in the 90’s, I love these numbers and I love THE SALT!!! Please keep the tears going.
Can i ask what do you play there? I had a mac long time ago, and i think it could only play some Blizzard games. And I have 1-2 year old iPad. I tried to play some games on Applearcade, but most of them looked very simple and not fun.

CobraAB

This is apples problem though. They don't own any of this shit. Just skimming these profits from hard working developers. Luckily all this is coming to an end, with the new laws that will allow third party payment processors. Then watch apples "gaming" profits flatline.
MS, Nintendo and Sony skim off 3rd parties too though of course they do their own games too.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
In 2020, Apple generated an estimated $13.5 billion dollars in gaming revenue—even though because the tech giant doesn’t actually make any games or gaming consoles.

Fixed. You're welcome.

Jinzo Prime

This is why people bitching and moaning about cel shading in Nintendo games is so laughable. They could stop making consoles and start making Pokemon lootboxes and never worry about money again, imho.

Ev1L AuRoN

Apple can charge as much as they want, its they store. But,
Smartphones are just portable computers, we should be able to install apps directly from the web or even from other storefronts.

daffyduck

These threads are the digital equivalent of walking through an adult care facility...everyone is watching The Price is Right on a Rear Project DLP TV and screaming about how bad the kids are these days. (Content edited per moderation guidelines)
Most of Apples stuff is gambling, not actual games.

nocsi

Fixed. You're welcome.
Yea you can argue they don’t make dedicated gaming anything. The processors they make now are so ubiquitous in capability vs the x86 junk that game consoles are hampered with. The majority of the volume in the ps5 is the cooling system.

Anyways people counting apple out clearly don’t have and/or don’t understand wtf the M series of chips can do. You can run max setting FF14 on a MacBook Pro now, and that’s not fully optimized since there’s a wine layer. All apple has to do is to release a game controller usable across their entire line in much the same way as AirPods are, and you’ll get true ubiquitous gaming across a single silicon

theHFIC

Can i ask what do you play there? I had a mac long time ago, and i think it could only play some Blizzard games. And I have 1-2 year old iPad. I tried to play some games on Applearcade, but most of them looked very simple and not fun.
So my Mac is my daily driver for work and recreation. I stream my gaming PC from it through Steam and I use PS5/PS4 remote play as well. For what I run directly on it... Emulation through OpenEmu, Zomboid, Civ 6, bunch of other sim style games.

You are abolutely right that the Apple Arcade games are simple, that is why I like them. Mindless games that I can get into on the bus ride, quit out, pick it back up on a different device and continue from where I left off, and repeat. Are they fun? I think that is a matter of opinion. I am enjoying what I play (currently Clap Hanz Golf, Spire Blast, Chu Chu Rocket, Bleak Sword, What The Golf?) and they all are pretty accommodating going from touch screen to mouse and keyboard to a controller based on the device I am using.

Being in the Mac ecosystem so long, I am a realist when it comes to expectations. The M-series hardware is great but they are never going to release a reasonably priced system that blows PC gaming out the water in any conventional sense. But hopefully like they did with mobile gaming, they will learn from their mistakes and with upcoming technologies like their AR/VR stuff can improve on that. Apple will continue to make solid hardware with great all-around performance for non-gaming applications.

ahtlas7

These threads are the digital equivalent of walking through an adult care facility...everyone is watching The Price is Right on a Rear Project DLP TV and screaming about how bad the kids are these days. (Content edited per moderation guidelines)
Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN

I wish I had a young whipper-snapper to tell me what’s what.

Jesb

I don’t get it. When are people even playing these games. Anytime I see anyone on their phone it’s Snapchat, ig, Facebook etc.

Rayderism

Heh....as far as I know, I don't even have any games on my phone. Unless there are some pre-installed....never really looked.

Top Bottom