• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple makes MORE money in gaming than the Big 3 combine [Visual Capitalist]

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Mobile's just a different market to the rest of gaming. That simple.

You can see this with the minimal overlap between IP. If the market was really that healthy then you'd see a lot more stuff that started out on mobile spreading out onto PC and Console.

That this never appears to happen should indicate the folly of trying to treat everything "gaming" as being fundamentally the same.

Also, if this is accurate for Apple then it is probably more for Google (android) as well.
in fact, Google is making a PC laucher dedicated for gaming, and beta testing in Asia and India.

the 3rd i would imagine would be Xiaomi in china

everyone is in gaming without dedicated hardware and exclusive games

vkbest

This is apples problem though. They don't own any of this shit. Just skimming these profits from hard working developers. Luckily all this is coming to an end, with the new laws that will allow third party payment processors. Then watch apples "gaming" profits flatline.
They get from developers the same percentage Sony, MS, Nintendo o Steam take it too.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Meanwhile, 'casual gamers' easily spend a few hundred bucks on their favorite mobile game each month/year without caring about graphics, or resolution or fps or whatever bullshit.

If I were a developer, I'd know which audience I'd target.
Conversion rates on most of these games are in single digit %s. Vast majority of said 'casual gamers' spends 0, or close to it.
And the ones that spend into 100s are referred to as whales for good reason.
Also these ppl are overwhelmed with mountains of content that looks and plays exactly the same, with publishers spending ungodly amounts of money to get them to try theirs out, in a hope they'll spend back.
As a developer you're pretty much a needle in a haystack hoping to catch fire so you'll stand out for awhile, unless you already have a billion $ ip to fund user acquisition for your next one.

Rickyiez

Why hasn't mobile gaming "replaced" console and PC gaming then?

blake shelton shrug GIF by The Voice

It has already replaced what you talking about. More people game on mobile now compared to console/pc. Just look at Japan

Topher

Gold Member
Why not, think of it from the majority mindset. I want to play games so I install it on my iPhone. Do I go and buy a PS or Nintendo? No, why would I when I could play it from my phone. So this is how mobile "replaced" gaming in general.

That's not what "replaced" means in the context I'm using it. Console and PC gaming are doing extremely well even if the "majority" are opting for mobile gaming. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Last edited:

tommib

Just tells you how overpriced their products are...
Their services are the same price or cheaper than the competion and they only sell flagship hardware. Thing with Apple is that they don't target the entry-level/cheap or even medium markets. Their witchcraft was to be able to sell as many premium devices as they've had in the last 10 years. They're not overpriced if they're selling. Something overpriced doesn't sell and quickly loses value.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/overpriced

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Their services are the same price or cheaper than the competion and they only sell flagship hardware. Thing with Apple is that they don't target the entry-level/cheap or even medium markets. Their witchcraft was to be able to sell as many premium devices as they've had in the last 10 years. They're not overpriced if they're selling. Something overpriced doesn't sell and quickly loses value.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/overpriced
Disagree. They are heavily overpriced and pretty much get away with it due to brand image.
Same crap we see with most other luxury brands.....

tommib

Disagree. They are heavily overpriced and pretty much get away with it due to brand image.
I'm just saying that the concept of overpricing a product ends up with a lack of sales. Apple made $83B on revenue last quarter. That's not overpricing. That's selling at the value the customers pay for. They're not getting away it. They're unbelievably established and robust.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

I'm a gaming PC fan and apple shits all over 90% of whats out there. Only companies that could make similar quality devices was Sony back in the day (vaio brand) and Microsoft's Surface line now. The fit and finish on Apple stuff is 2nd to none now.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
I'm just saying that the concept of overpricing a product ends up with a lack of sales. Apple made $83B on revenue last quarter. That's not overpricing. That's selling at the value the customers pay for. They're not getting away it. They're unbelievably established and robust.
Sorry, that's just pointless semantics.
Good products, yes. Worth xyz hundred bucks more than a competing device? By any objective technical metric a resounding no.
Overpriced, and getting away with it no different from a brand like Gucci.
"999 Buck monitor stand? 3 please...."

I'm a gaming PC fan and apple shits all over 90% of whats out there. Only companies that could make similar quality devices was Sony back in the day (vaio brand) and Microsoft's Surface line now. The fit and finish on Apple stuff is 2nd to none now.
High end products with high end prices look favorable compared to 90% of the rest of the general market. Who`d have thought......

Last edited:

Warnen

High end products with high end prices look favorable compared to 90% of the rest of the general market. Who`d have thought......

I don't get it, high end products look more favorable but are also over priced? Yeah you pay for quality....

Haggard

Banned
I don't get it, high end products look more favorable but are also over priced? Yeah you pay for quality....
Could you stop playing stupid pretending that "high end" is just one fixed global price which all manufacturers share just for the sake of "muh internet arguing" and recognize that there is variation and competition in all price brackets?

Last edited:

Warnen

Could you stop playing stupid pretending that "high end" is just one fixed global price which all manufacturers share just for the sake of "muh internet arguing" and recognize that there is variation and competition in all price brackets?

Apple offers a wide range of devices in most categories, they all share the same fit and finish at every level. If they didn't make quality stuff they wouldn't be on top. I think the market has spoken, lets not pretend it hasn't.

tommib

And you don't think Apple is highly competitive in their segment market? Look at their new MacBook Airs with the M2. Show me a Windows device with that build quality, those quality screens, a competitive processor and a competitive price. They won't be much cheaper. If they are at all.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
All from mobile gaming which is the cancer of this hobby, so Apple can rot for all I care.

And people can enjoy mobile games it that's their thing so long as decent full games continue to be made.

Last edited:

Gusy

I've been a console/PC gamer all my life. That is the space where the medium usually moves forward. That's the space where I plan on staying.

On the other hand, I just played Alien Isolation on my Iphone 13pro with visuals comparable to the PS4 version , running at a locked 60 fps with the phone on low-power (Battery saving) mode. I just did a 45 min session with absolutely no throttling. So yeah.. shit is changing fast on the mobile landscape. The hardware is now good enough to bring all type of games to market,... and Sony is about to release a controller shell for the Iphone, so there are even more options to interact with the software now. You might say, "Well yeah that's a 1000$ device".. true but that's tech that probably will be on the "affordable to the mass market" range by the end of the year.

This doesn't mean that traditional consoles are going away anytime soon.. but the gaming landscape is sure as shit changing fast, can't turn a blind eye to that.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It drives me crazy that gamers punish new developers and new gamers every game needs a newbie.

Fbh

AAA Gaming is going to go to shit in the next 20 years.

There's too much money in games designed around grind and microtransactions. Even the mobile games with decent gameplay, story and mechanics are ruined by their business model

Thankfully there will probably always be Indies releasing fun "normal" games.

See....Apple has already been in gaming and most of you didn't even realize it! ;)

Which is why all the "what if Apple gets into gaming?" threads have always been silly.

They ARE already in gaming and they are making more money from it than "insert your favourite gaming company".

Last edited:

Warnen

My brothers kids love iPad gaming, they had me the iPad when get stuck on a lvl and I can’t do shit with it. this is the future…

Crm114

Soon ppl are gonna be immersing themselves in worlds first via VR/AR and then down the line jacking in directly via shit like neuralink. You're gonna need real game developers to make that kinda stuff. Touch screen gaming is popular now but in a few generations that shit will seem archaic, imo.

A TOTALLY different business. But "some" people don't want to admit this truth though and I'm not sure why.
Exactly this! Pretty much all the money they make comes from 3 to 6yo kids getting to play full screen adverts displayed every 30 seconds in what passes for games that also have banners over the bottom of the screen.

I don't think Sony or MS can afford to sell consoles that have that kind of games, nobody would be a "gamer" if the mobile market was the only way to game.

Which is sad given how the iPad particularly is hands down the best device in its market segment (you could argue that the ARM based macbooks are in a league of their own as well... but this is not where Apple makes their gaming $$$).

Tarkus98

And this is why it makes no sense for Apple to enter the traditional console hardware scene. Why would they want all the headaches associated with that market when they can just sit back and rake in all that cash from their mobile store.
Crazy how well they are doing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Mobile's just a different market to the rest of gaming. That simple.
Yep, even Sony didn't consider it a part of traditional gaming, and even when they had the top revenue producing game on mobile, it wasn't under PS Studios or Sony Interactive Entertainment, it was under their music or film labels.

Top Bottom