• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple |OT| TV/Arcade/iPad/mac/iPhone

Both are excellent for your usage. I have a preference for the Air. If you can afford the price for it then it's better to go with the option that has more storage. The amount of data on a device can build up a lot after a couple of years.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm thinking about switching out my Chromecast with google tv because of the bugs. Damn thing as no audio on startup half of the time. Doesn't turn on sometimes. Buffers more than it should on occasion. How's the apple tv 4k? Relatively bug free? Good wifi?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm thinking about switching out my Chromecast with google tv because of the bugs. Damn thing as no audio on startup half of the time. Doesn't turn on sometimes. Buffers more than it should on occasion. How's the apple tv 4k? Relatively bug free? Good wifi?
Never had an issue here.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Painless all the time I had it since August 2021.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Had it for two years, no issues.

Minor complaint: I wish I could customize the time before the wallpaper shows up tho, anytime I pause i comeback to it.

GeekyDad

Any feedback on the new iPhone update (think it's 16.5?)? I'm afraid to ever update until I hear back from more experienced folk.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The 15” MacBook Air seems like it will be super popular. No fan for complete silence and a large screen will be nice for web browsing and video watching.

The Mac Pro seems super disappointing. Going from 1.5tb ECC mem to 192gb (non-ECC?) and I bet the cpu will be less powerful than the previous top end option as well. It also seems wildly overpriced compared to the Mac Studio with the same m2 ultra chip. A very confusing product.

The vision pro looks amazing. The base price doesn’t bother me but I want to know how expensive the Zeiss glasses lens inserts will be and how loud will the internal fans get since it has 2 internal processors. Also, is it bad for vision to wear screens that close to your eyes for long periods of time every day? I almost laughed when they were like “your eyes will be visible on the exterior… we call this, EYESIGHT.” lol I’m looking forward to reviews next year though.

GeekyDad

Gary Vaynerchuk Hello GIF by GaryVee

Celcius

°Temp. member
Meh, I think I’m going to hold onto my iPhone 12 Pro for another year instead of upgrading this fall. Apple just made the phone too good - it still does everything I need it to do flawlessly. Plus I like this pacific blue color as well. I just wish Apple still made silicon cases for older phones in more colors. There’s only like 3 colors to chose from with my phone for example and two of those are white and black. Hopefully this cloud blue case holds up another year. I’m also still at 88% battery health which is fine. I think the first two years when I was mostly wireless charging is what brought it down that much. Once I started doing wired only charging over a year ago then the health hasn’t budged.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Meh, I think I’m going to hold onto my iPhone 12 Pro for another year instead of upgrading this fall. Apple just made the phone too good - it still does everything I need it to do flawlessly. Plus I like this pacific blue color as well. I just wish Apple still made silicon cases for older phones in more colors. There’s only like 3 colors to chose from with my phone for example and two of those are white and black. Hopefully this cloud blue case holds up another year. I’m also still at 88% battery health which is fine. I think the first two years when I was mostly wireless charging is what brought it down that much. Once I started doing wired only charging over a year ago then the health hasn’t budged.
I'm on the fence. I've got the 12 base model. I love it and have no complaints but I do want to bump up to the Pro.

As someone who had never owned an iPhone prior to picking up a used 8, then upgrading shortly after to iPhone 12, I am amazed at the lifespan of these things. My Androids would practically be paperweights by year 2.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm considering selling my remaining blu rays and just buying and renting movies through Apple instead. Do any of you do this? I know it locks you into Apple's eco system but I already own and use Apple hardware anyway. No changing disks, hearing UHD's spin, etc...
Also, does Apple ever have sales on movies?

Meicyn

Gold Member
I'm considering selling my remaining blu rays and just buying and renting movies through Apple instead. Do any of you do this? I know it locks you into Apple's eco system but I already own and use Apple hardware anyway. No changing disks, hearing UHD's spin, etc...
I did this years ago. No regrets.

also: https://www.reddit.com/r/iTunesMovieDeals/

Urban

What were they thinking with the newest WatchOS update?
You cant even swipe to switch faces anymore.. I regret updating it and who would have guessed? You cant downgrade anymore..

dottme

What were they thinking with the newest WatchOS update?
You cant even swipe to switch faces anymore.. I regret updating it and who would have guessed? You cant downgrade anymore..
It’s really weird considering swiping doesn’t look to do anything.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I do .. lots of early releases on there as well. Buy a couple of apple TVs and a iPhone hdmi cable if you travel a lot .

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Any type of connector available that would allowed you to connect the wired Apple earbuds directly to PC?
I’m guessing you mean something like this…

Headphone Adapter Lightning to 3.5mm AUX Audio Jack and Charger Extender Dongle Earphone Headset Splitter Compatible with iPhone 12 Mini 11 pro max xs xr x se2 7 8 Plus for Ipad Air Cable Converter https://a.co/d/cFjnAUr

dottme

I’ve just discovered that Lies of P is in the Mac App Store. I tried it quickly and it looks to run ok.
it feels we are at the beginning of something new for Mac and I hope it can get us somewhere.

GeekyDad

I’m guessing you mean something like this…

Headphone Adapter Lightning to 3.5mm AUX Audio Jack and Charger Extender Dongle Earphone Headset Splitter Compatible with iPhone 12 Mini 11 pro max xs xr x se2 7 8 Plus for Ipad Air Cable Converter https://a.co/d/cFjnAUr
Hmm...I...don't think so. I need an adapter that will take the male end of the EarPods wire that can then go into my PC (I assume via USB). The one in that link looks like it just has an input for a regular 1/8 inch male output.

dottme

i'm hearing issues of overheating for iPhone 15 pro. overblown?
I’m hearing everything about iPhone 15. Some Apple did say they are going to do software update for overheating issues.
but its definitively not the smoothest released they’ve done.

sainraja

I have mostly switched over to Apple now, if, and when, I do buy movies. They do have sales as well.

Celcius

°Temp. member
If I own a movie in 1080p because the digital code was free with a blu ray I bought years ago, how do I upgrade it to 4K? I don't see an option to pay for the upgrade and support didn't seem to be helpful either... (asking if my device could handle 4K and if I was using the correct cable lol)

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
If I own a movie in 1080p because the digital code was free with a blu ray I bought years ago, how do I upgrade it to 4K? I don't see an option to pay for the upgrade and support didn't seem to be helpful either... (asking if my device could handle 4K and if I was using the correct cable lol)
You can technically purchase a movie via gifting, and basically send the redemption code to yourself.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Apple made the iPhone 12 Pro too good.... I see no reason to upgrade anytime soon.
Also, maybe a hot take but the older intel based 27" iMacs looked MUCH better than the current super thin 24" M1/M3 models.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Apple made the iPhone 12 Pro too good.... I see no reason to upgrade anytime soon.
Also, maybe a hot take but the older intel based 27" iMacs looked MUCH better than the current super thin 24" M1/M3 models.

Looks are always subjective. Personally I think the old All-In-Ones from the early 2000s looked the best out of all the Apple Products, but we are stuck with silvers, grays, and blacks for the foreseeable future :(

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It was finally time to retire my xps laptop.

Blue screens, random requests on boot to input windows secret pass which required trips to ms website, etc.

Between my disappointment with the quality of the universally acclaimed as the best windows laptop, the awful 2024 revamp of the xps line and the aggresiviness of windows into pushing you microsoft stuff I decided to daily drive macos again after 14 years.

I purchased a base model 16 max. Sheet man i don't know how's the actual build quality of the components inside, but from the outside it screams luxury. The fit and finish is impeccable, the screen is even better than the legendary igzo panels on the xps and the sound is fantastic.

Topher

Gold Member
It was finally time to retire my xps laptop.

Blue screens, random requests on boot to input windows secret pass which required trips to ms website, etc.

Between my disappointment with the quality of the universally acclaimed as the best windows laptop, the awful 2024 revamp of the xps line and the aggresiviness of windows into pushing you microsoft stuff I decided to daily drive macos again after 14 years.

I purchased a base model 16 max. Sheet man i don't know how's the actual build quality of the components inside, but from the outside it screams luxury. The fit and finish is impeccable, the screen is even better than the legendary igzo panels on the xps and the sound is fantastic.

Nothing beats Apple build quality, imo. I mean.....you pay for it, but damn if they don't make it feel like you got what you paid for.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Realistically how bad is the 8gb ram in the apple macbook air line?

My 4 year old 3060 laptop is literally falling apart, pieces of plastic coming off, random iGPU amd errors, now the speakers won't work and it says audio device not installed. I'm about done with this old mule. I have a steam deck, a PS5, 2 gaming PCs (one mine one for my wife) and I might get a windows handheld. I've only used this particular laptop to game like 2 times in 3 years. It sounds nice in paper but I just never used it.

So I was looking at either a macbook or a galaxy book from samsung, the galaxy books are about the same price as the m2 line but they have 16gb ram, amoled display and a 4050 dgpu. Only problem is its out of stock currently.

If I go apple I probably don't want to go super expensive, I'm not in the ecosystem at all, have a samsung phone, windows PC, and a samsung tablet lol.

Topher

Gold Member

My 4 year old 3060 laptop is literally falling apart, pieces of plastic coming off, random iGPU amd errors, now the speakers won't work and it says audio device not installed. I'm about done with this old mule. I have a steam deck, a PS5, 2 gaming PCs (one mine one for my wife) and I might get a windows handheld. I've only used this particular laptop to game like 2 times in 3 years. It sounds nice in paper but I just never used it.

So I was looking at either a macbook or a galaxy book from samsung, the galaxy books are about the same price as the m2 line but they have 16gb ram, amoled display and a 4050 dgpu. Only problem is its out of stock currently.

If I go apple I probably don't want to go super expensive, I'm not in the ecosystem at all, have a samsung phone, windows PC, and a samsung tablet lol.

I've owned Mac minis and Macbooks and I regretted getting the ones that were 8GB. If I ever get another Mac then I'm definitely getting 16GB at the very least.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

If I go apple I probably don't want to go super expensive, I'm not in the ecosystem at all, have a samsung phone, windows PC, and a samsung tablet lol

if all you do is look at YouTube and websites with some photo editing every now and then 8gb is fine. but a 16gig with 500gig ssd is only about $400 more.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I've owned Mac minis and Macbooks and I regretted getting the ones that were 8GB. If I ever get another Mac then I'm definitely getting 16GB at the very least.
if all you do is look at YouTube and websites with some photo editing every now and then 8gb is fine. but a 16gig with 500gig ssd is only about $400 more.

Cheers guys, aside from the RAM issue, how do you rate the air lineup? I would get the 16gb one with m2 chip, unless there's an m3 version coming soon?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Cheers guys, aside from the RAM issue, how do you rate the air lineup? I would get the 16gb one with m2 chip, unless there's an m3 version coming soon?

There is M3 coming sooner than later for sure. MacBook airs are surprisingly powerful. For everyday things there really isn't much difference between a m2 and a m2 pro. my wife has a m2 air with 16gigs and it doesn't bog down like one might think it would. She does a lot of photo editing and stuff like that.
The main trade off is the screen isn't as good as pro nor is the sound. but both are better than cheap windows lap tops.

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#mac. is usually what I look at.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Worth waiting for the m3 coming in march or april at the latest. Apple only allows you one external screen on the air, but there are workarounds I hear.

Top Bottom