• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Apple |OT| TV/Arcade/iPad/mac/iPhone

Deku Tree

Jun 13, 2004

Not sure why Apple are sticking with the M1 design for so long, which is A14. Instead of moving to A15 chip design. But I guess the Mac Pro chips in 2022 are gonna blow everything else away anyway.

• Fire
Reactions: Maiden Voyage

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Dec 26, 2008
Spain
Not sure why Apple are sticking with the M1 design for so long, which is A14. Instead of moving to A15 chip design. But I guess the Mac Pro chips in 2022 are gonna blow everything else away anyway.

Yields.

They're probably already squeezing as much 5nm silicon as they can from TSMC just to make phones.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Nov 6, 2019
Get vaccinated
My 2019 MacBook Pro is running hot as fuck all of a sudden even when just Safari is active. Installing this new version of MacOS but I doubt it will help. Might be time to cop one of the new ones. Or take my work up providing me a Surface instead. We’ll see.

Edit: I upgraded and now no more heat issues. I don't know how I feel about that. Maybe I should have looked into it more before, maybe see if some daemon or something was acting up. But it's all good now.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Dec 26, 2008
Spain
Btw, apple is rolling out a self repair program, selling parts, tools and repair manuals.

I mean wtf 😳 I never expected to see the day. It seems to me that is carefully worded to mean they’ll sell these to people, not business tho. It’s “right to repair” without those pesky, bothersome, 3rd party repair shops.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
Today was expensive. Wife got an iPad Air 256gb + Apple Pencil gen 2 + AirPod Max. I got a pair of AirPod Max too. Ordered the Waterfield case for both of us too from SF Bags.

I’m impressed with the audio quality. I was expecting nothing great but they aren’t bad at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bitmap Frogs

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
I turned that off. It’s neat at first and then I’ll put my phone down while I’m doing something and it just makes everything sound worse
The head tracking one is rough, especially on albums/songs that were not mixed for spatial or dolby atmos. A few albums I ran across that blew my mind were Abbey Road by The Beatles & Gold-Diggers Sound by Leon Bridges. Those blew me away. There's incredible imaging and separation on a scale I've yet to hear on headphones. Granted this has only been an hour or so of listening. I still have to dig through and find some other albums that are mixed well.

Any albums that do not have a label for spatial or dolby atmos absolutely sound far worse when forcing spatial audio.

Thaedolus

Jun 9, 2004
The head tracking one is rough, especially on albums/songs that were not mixed for spatial or dolby atmos. A few albums I ran across that blew my mind were Abbey Road by The Beatles & Gold-Diggers Sound by Leon Bridges. Those blew me away. There's incredible imaging and separation on a scale I've yet to hear on headphones. Granted this has only been an hour or so of listening. I still have to dig through and find some other albums that are mixed well.

Any albums that do not have a label for spatial or dolby atmos absolutely sound far worse when forcing spatial audio.

Ohhhh yeah that spatial audio. Yes that’s pretty dope, I was thinking of the head tracking.

• Strength

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
Ohhhh yeah that spatial audio. Yes that’s pretty dope, I was thinking of the head tracking.
Yeah, I was fucking around with the settings and found you can force the head tracking but my phone is never just front-and-center for me so I doubt I'll use it much. What's weird is that my intel MacBook Pro form 2019 does not support spatial audio at all from what I can tell. So, I will have to listen to music from my phone or Apple TV if I want the added depth.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Dec 17, 2006
Margaritaville
Still dealing with this iPhone13 Pro coming from Android.

Is there any way to get non-app Youtube background playback (via a browser) to work on IOS?
For the same use case above, is there any way to get consistent picture in picture (small playback window in the foreground while I can still use my phone or browse other websites) working?
Is there any way to get above 720p playback on Youtube without an app?
Is there any way to get Safari tabs to stack instead of going with the tiled layout since it takes much more time to swap through the tabs?
Is there a different browser option that supports this?

dottme

Sep 28, 2013

Is there any way to get non-app Youtube background playback (via a browser) to work on IOS?
For the same use case above, is there any way to get consistent picture in picture (small playback window in the foreground while I can still use my phone or browse other websites) working?
Is there any way to get Safari tabs to stack instead of going with the tiled layout since it takes much more time to swap through the tabs?
For the YouTube Picture in Picture, Youtube disable it so you cannot do it. With the app, they try to sell it as a YouTube plus feature. It’s pretty disappointing considering this is an OS feature.
for other video, put the video in full screen and then click the icon next to the X.

for Yotube, I can get more than 720p. I don’t do anything special so I’m not sure.

GeekyDad

Apr 6, 2009
My home
www.gamespot.com
'Nother noob question please. All day yesterday and this morning there was something open on my lockscreen. Finally inquired with Siri a few times until she brought up a link to something regarding "music widget stuck on lock screen." I didn't even use any apps that play music, and I always close all apps when I'm done. The only thing that finally got rid of it was shutting down and restarting my phone. Is there any other way to simply clear it off the lockscreen?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA

I saw this headline and it made me think of your post. Not sure if this will work for you, but it's worth a shot:

'Nother noob question please. All day yesterday and this morning there was something open on my lockscreen. Finally inquired with Siri a few times until she brought up a link to something regarding "music widget stuck on lock screen." I didn't even use any apps that play music, and I always close all apps when I'm done. The only thing that finally got rid of it was shutting down and restarting my phone. Is there any other way to simply clear it off the lockscreen?
Is it the Apple Music widget? IE did it look like this:

Mar 28, 2021
i keep getting a notification on my 12 pro max. well not a notification but a prompt? it comes up right in the middle of the screen. something to do with turning bluetooth on for headphones? can't remember the exact wording (i really should cause it fucking appears a lot).

i have sony wf-100xm3's so yeah i do use bluetooth for earphones but why is this appearing all the time when i'm NOT using them and bluetooth is off? i don't like leaving bluetooth on when i'm not using it but i might just to stop this appearing all the time. is there anyway to stop it or should i just leave bluetooth on to appease the damn phone?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
i keep getting a notification on my 12 pro max. well not a notification but a prompt? it comes up right in the middle of the screen. something to do with turning bluetooth on for headphones? can't remember the exact wording (i really should cause it fucking appears a lot).

i have sony wf-100xm3's so yeah i do use bluetooth for earphones but why is this appearing all the time? i don't like leaving bluetooth on when i'm not using it but i might just to stop this appearing all the time. is there anyway to stop it or should i just leave bluetooth on to appease the damn phone?
Are you using the Sonys on another device when the prompt appears?

Take a screenshot the next time it appears and post it.

Reactions: nightmare-slain
Mar 28, 2021
Are you using the Sonys on another device when the prompt appears?

Take a screenshot the next time it appears and post it.
i do use them on my iPad sometimes but no it appears even if i haven't connected to the ipad. i have them connectedto my phone every day but my ipad maybe once a month or something.

i will take a screenshot when it appears

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
Thinking about switching from Android to IOS,worth taking the 11 over the 12?
Impossible to say for you without knowing your use case. I personally greatly prefer the look & feel of the 12 & 13 and never want to go back to rounded corners ever again unless there is some technological reason compelling enough. In terms of performance, always go with the newer device. You'll get more life out of it & have a higher resale value should you choose to depart with it.

Reactions: nightmare-slain
Mar 28, 2021
edit: omg im an idiot lol. the app for my earphones is called "Headphones" so what it's saying is turn on bluetooth to let the app connect to my earphones. still...wish it would stop appearing. i love my sony earphones but the software integration sucks. you win apple i will just break my habit and leave bluetooth on

took a screenshot. why does this keep appearing? i don't understand it. connect headphones to accessories? i only use my bluetooth earphones to connect to the phone. i don't have any accessories except my earphones...so how can i connect my ear phones to my earphones? am i being thick lol

Last edited: