• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple |OT| TV/Arcade/iPad/mac/iPhone

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Pixelmator Pro is 50% off for MacOS

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I was looking around. I feel a lot of people are like me and want to see what’s after M1.

You and me both.

There's a few rumors floating around that the redesigned mac pros will come later this year I guess by then we'll have an answer.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So I just did a quick comparison between a Mac mini and an iMac with same specs (16gb ram, 1tb ssd). The iMac is 900€ more expensive.

So that’s 900€ for a screen, a mouse, a keyboard, a webcam and a set of speakers.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So I just did a quick comparison between a Mac mini and an iMac with same specs (16gb ram, 1tb ssd). The iMac is 900€ more expensive.

So that’s 900€ for a screen, a mouse, a keyboard, a webcam and a set of speakers.
I got my wife a M1 Mac Mini and new monitor. I’m partial to the iMac myself. I will definitely upgrade to one at some point in the future.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The new 4K Apple TV is nice. More responsive than the last gen one for sure. Remote is an improvement.

Picked a 64gb one yesterday since my tv os is super slow and freeze prone and a lot of the apps I like are not on ps5.

It's fast and responsive, and voice commands are super cool, with some niggles like you need to specifically say apple tv plus, if you say apple tv siri thinks you're trying to buy one lol.They need to get siri to be better at context.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm really tempted to get an ipad 12.9 just to play around with, surf the web, watch 4k youtube, crunchyroll, etc...
I'm sure the screen would be amazing but seems like a waste of power for what I would do.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I'm really tempted to get an ipad 12.9 just to play around with, surf the web, watch 4k youtube, crunchyroll, etc...
I'm sure the screen would be amazing but seems like a waste of power for what I would do.

feel the same way but dam does that screen not look amazing. Not like the older 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 screen was bad but watching the same movie on both next to each other the older one looks like it has a grey wash on it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I have an iPad Pro 2018 and about the most intense thing I do is occasional art & photo stuff with Affinity Photo & Designer and Procreate. It's still nice to have. :)

dottme

I will probably at least wait for WWDC 2021. We should see a new iPad OS with new features. Some of which might help to make choice on screen size/memory and so on.

dottme

So we are finally starting to see more precise rumor on the MacBook Pro and Mac mini. But not much about the software part.
I’m still exited for WWDC2021.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

This would be interesting to see how Apple enters this space. It makes total sense as Cook has said he believes Apple's long-term impacts will be in the health/wellness space.

I currently use MyFitnessPal to log food. It connects easy enough to HealthKit and integrates and shows data through the health app. No complaints with the service. I think I would be most interested in feedback or goal settings for different macro & micronutrients.

they should create a new food show where they teach you how to cook healthy.

They should call it “Tim Cooks”

Actually I don’t what i eat throughout the day. I should pay more attention to it and this would probably motivate me more.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
:messenger_tears_of_joy: I can relate to this.
k98rfs30r3271.jpg

I hope iOS 15 and iPadOS brings something cool, but I'm not expecting it. I'm pretty sure it's just going to be a mild update with no visible changes to the homescreen or overall UI.

ManaByte

Anyone know of a good resource listing 60fps content for the new Apple TV (besides YouTube). Do any of the sports streaming apps support 60fps yet?

dottme

I’vre just seen this on Reddit and tried it on my iPad and it is working. It’s not complete but it give a lot of hope for iPad OS. Hype level is immediately increased to stratospheric level.
MO73TLu.jpg

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
WWDC thread is live.

I'll be traveling today starting right at when the keynote goes live. I'll try to pop in and update when time allows.

dottme

Okay, they released a video on their apple developper app to show how they worked with 4A games (Metro Exodus) and Larian Studio (BG3, DOS2) to optimize their game for their own GPU.
I finds it mainly interested that they are communicating more about advance gaming and they are showing that they are supporting it.

I hope that means gaming might improve on Apple platform too And it won’t be limited to mobile game.

dottme

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Interesting take on the Apple Private Relay... it seems it is not a VPN at all and is actually an Onion Router.

Apple recently announced a new service that will become available with the next versions of MacOS and iOS, as long as you have a paid subscription to their iCloud service. The press has widely (but not universally; CNN at least had a reasonable article) described this as an Apple VPN, but it isn't. The full details aren't known yet but the description makes it clear that it's actually an Apple onion router. The routing uses two hops; Apple provides the first, and "independent third parties" (not yet specified) provide the second.

There are some interesting tradeoffs. The service only works in Safari, Mail, and a few other applications. It's not clear if the API will be public for other browsers or applications to use. As part of it, they are also doing some kind of "private" DNS; it's not clear if that routes through the onion layers, too, though it would make sense. All in all, a very Apple approach: They deny themselves any knowledge of a customer's DNS queries and Web traffic, so if served with a subpoena they have very little to respond with. And, it works completely transparently (and presumably very simply for the end user) with Apple applications.

An big tradeoff for some is that the exit node is always chosen to be in the same geo location as the entry node. You can view this as a sop to the various on-line video providers, who insist on their geo restrictions; or you can view it as a concession to reality: If Apple didn't do this, the video providers would block their exit nodes, as they do with any VPN provider that gets large enough for them to notice.

How this will interact with a VPN - especially with a VPN implemented in a middle-box rather than on the Apple device - is unknown. We'll see when it ships.

In one move, Apple has taken onion routing from a specialized tool for hackers to something that will be in daily use on billions of devices. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the industry responds. (Rather than simply saying they do no logging, why don't VPN providers implement a onion router - perhaps partnering with other VPN providers - so that they simply have nothing to log? I'd expect to see that emerge sooner rather than later.)
-- Jerry

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
AppleCare is about to get real.
According to a report from the Wall Street Journal, Apple had considered setting up an in-house medical service that would offer primary care clinics with doctors employed by Apple. The Journal says the company was exploring how the Apple Watch could be used to improve healthcare.

This project was envisioned in 2016 but has seemingly been put on pause, partly because Apple’s dogfooding of a similar project for its own employees saw limited use.

Apple COO Jeff Williams had apparently tasked his team with coming up of ways to disrupt the traditional health industry, where patients only see doctors when something goes wrong.

I like the idea of more preventative-base medicine, but a huge cultural shift would need to happen to make this viable (at least here in the US).

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
AppleCare is about to get real.

I like the idea of more preventative-base medicine, but a huge cultural shift would need to happen to make this viable (at least here in the US).

So weird to read that Apple went far enough to set trial clinics...

Celcius

°Temp. member
Question - does the 16" macbook pro run hot and loud?
At work I have a Dell Precision 5520 with an intel 7820HQ and the laptop runs hot and loud even if just sitting idle on the desktop. Sometimes it runs so hot it thermal throttles down to 780mhz and is almost unusable. I'm wondering if switching to a 6-core 12-thread macbook pro would be better in terms of hardware and cooling.

Also, how is the Apple TV 4K as far as just being used for free stuff like YouTube and Crunchyroll? Just interested in hearing user experiences I guess, thinking about buying one for my parents.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
At work I have a Dell Precision 5520 with an intel 7820HQ and the laptop runs hot and loud even if just sitting idle on the desktop. Sometimes it runs so hot it thermal throttles down to 780mhz and is almost unusable. I'm wondering if switching to a 6-core 12-thread macbook pro would be better in terms of hardware and cooling.

Also, how is the Apple TV 4K as far as just being used for free stuff like YouTube and Crunchyroll? Just interested in hearing user experiences I guess, thinking about buying one for my parents.
The 2019? Yes to both, though it obviously depends on the workload. When idle, it's quiet and cool.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Macs are slim notebooks, so if you have a 45w cpu and a dgpu of course it’s gonna run hot.

If you want something that runs cooler buy one of those 17 workstation chonkers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom