• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple |OT| TV/Arcade/iPad/mac/iPhone

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Which one should I keep as a total casual user? M1 Pro 8 gig 256 gig or the M1 Air 8 gig 512 gig? Im leaning towards the Air mainly because of no touchbar

J3j5jEo.jpg
Wait for the upcoming event.

dcll

Banned
No I’m not buying a new one, either of these will last me for a long time. I’m going to sell one of these. I have been using the Air for awhile and really like it but I traded my iPad for the MacBook Pro. I had the 12.9 and want to get a smaller one and I trade it on Facebook marketplace for the MacBook Pro

Last edited:

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Looking forward to tomorrow. Can’t wait to upgrade my 12” MacBook.

Topher

Gold Member
M1 Pro and M1 Max chips announced
  • 200GB/s memory bandwidth
  • Up to 32GB of unified memory
  • ProRes
  • 2x more transistors than M1
  • 70% faster than M1
  • Up to 10-core CPU
  • Up to 16-core GPU
  • Neural Engine
And for the M1 Max:

• 400GB/s memory bandwidth
  • 32-core GPU
  • 57 billion transistors
  • Up to 64GB of unified memory
  • Up to 70% less power consumption

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wait... that 14" 2000usd macbook pro totally invalidates their current 24 and 27" imacs with the specs

Deku Tree

Hard to believe these new chips were only laptop class. Whatever they are going to put into the new big iMac is going to be the “M1 beast mode” chip.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Hey I've not forgotten about my opinion post about the apple watch 7... its just that im going through some nasty stuff (im on antibiotics) and not much in the mood to mess with new hardware.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I thought the Safari tab groups was dumb when it launched but it is actually super handy. I've been using it non-stop for a few weeks now.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Which one should I keep as a total casual user? M1 Pro 8 gig 256 gig or the M1 Air 8 gig 512 gig? Im leaning towards the Air mainly because of no touchbar

J3j5jEo.jpg
Get the cheapest one since you are a filthy casual user. Just promise you won’t go to a starbucks and work on your latest novel.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I watched the Velvet Underground doc yesterday evening. II thought it was very well done. As someone familiar with Lou Reed but very unfamiliar with the work of VU I was excited to learn more about the group and the connection to Warhol.

I'd recommend it to anyone with an interest in music, art, or all things avant-garde.

dcll

Banned
Get the cheapest one since you are a filthy casual user. Just promise you won’t go to a starbucks and work on your latest novel.
These are both mine so I already have them and don't go to Starbucks and would never hang out in a coffee shop!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So, about the series 7.

I got the SS 45mm in the silver finish with the matching milanese loop. I wanted a scratch resistant glass because I am familiar with watches that get normal glass and ehh scratches suck on a device that small.

I've got to say the thing was smaller than I thought, maybe I've got mammoth wrists but I didn't find it big at all. It's super well finished, and the new design on the 7 looks great. It sits a big awkwardly on the wrist because it has a protruding element below: that's my only gripe with the watch, it helps it look thinner because it's hiding stuff down in the trunk haha.

About the software, I wish I had more granular control, like it doesn't let me filter SMS that are from people in my contracts, so I get spam advertisements in my phone now - hmm bad.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So, about the series 7.

I got the SS 45mm in the silver finish with the matching milanese loop. I wanted a scratch resistant glass because I am familiar with watches that get normal glass and ehh scratches suck on a device that small.

I've got to say the thing was smaller than I thought, maybe I've got mammoth wrists but I didn't find it big at all. It's super well finished, and the new design on the 7 looks great. It sits a big awkwardly on the wrist because it has a protruding element below: that's my only gripe with the watch, it helps it look thinner because it's hiding stuff down in the trunk haha.

About the software, I wish I had more granular control, like it doesn't let me filter SMS that are from people in my contracts, so I get spam advertisements in my phone now - hmm bad.
First Apple Watch?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I went for Apple x Nike 41mm Midnight Black watch to match my Midnight Black iPhone 13 mini.

It will be delivered tomorrow and it's my first Apple Watch so I don't even know what to expect.

I'm really enjoying 13 mini. The smaller screen is just perfect and a nice change from 6.7'' screen on my previous phone.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I went for Apple x Nike 41mm Midnight Black watch to match my Midnight Black iPhone 13 mini.

It will be delivered tomorrow and it's my first Apple Watch so I don't even know what to expect.

I'm really enjoying 13 mini. The smaller screen is just perfect and a nice change from 6.7'' screen on my previous phone.
Congrats across the board. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the watch as well.

There's an Apple Community thread, feel free to join us anytime.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Got my gold 13 pro yesterday finally.
I've set everything up.
The phone is crazy fast. no hiccups at all. Nice to use, most apps I've used on android seem better here...
The hardware is top, the software is a breath of fresh air. The camera is fire too.

Generally I am happy so far. Learning how to use. It's not too bad coming from android actually aside from some weirdness but man! The speed is unbelievable. I know it's mostly just better animations but man.

Some bad things.
Touch is kinda wonky. I have trouble pressing some smaller buttons first time or scrolling from left. It's not that the screen is not responsive. It's like it's too precise.
The only thing I am not sure about is if I want to cover that nice phone in a case. I am 100% not using screen protector but clear case is still on the table.
I find the stainless steel band very grippy surprisingly. It's gets extremely fingerprint covered but it sticks even to my dry fingers. That's good.
The back feels kinda dry and makes me feel my fingers are dry.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
How to check the battery SOT since last full charge?
In settings, battery there is last 24h and last 4 days which is bs because I took it off the charger 2 days ago evening so in last "24h" I see only part of usage.
Anyway - the battery seems to be at least 5-6sot which is good

i have iphone 6s, and just installed iOS15.1. Its great that my phone has lasted this long, but will iOS16 be compatible with iPhone that only have 2 GIGABYTES of ram? You would to make a lot of iPhones obsolete. IPhones that only have 2 gigabytes of RAM are:

iphone6s, iPhone 7, iPhone 8.

iPhone x starts with 3 GIGABYTES of ram.

Last edited:

dottme

i have iphone 6s, and just installed iOS15.1. Its great that my phone has lasted this long, but will iOS16 be compatible with iPhone that only have 2 GIGABYTES of ram? You would have get make a lot of iPhone obsolete, iPhone that only have 2 gigabytes of RAM are:

iphone6s, iPhone 7, iPhone 8.

iPhone x starts with 3 GIGABYTES of ram.
No one knows. But I’ll just be happy that you can still run your iPhone 6s and worry less about iOS16.
is the performance ok?

No one knows. But I’ll just be happy that you can still run your iPhone 6s and worry less about iOS16.
is the performance ok?

Yah runs fine, im sure it is slower than the latest hardware, but i am keeping it cause of the headphone jack which i use for my car stereo connection (i dont have Bluetooth in my car)

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Got my gold 13 pro yesterday finally.
I've set everything up.
The phone is crazy fast. no hiccups at all. Nice to use, most apps I've used on android seem better here...
The hardware is top, the software is a breath of fresh air. The camera is fire too.

iPhone is the best smartphone, unless you’re into extreme tweaking, and most often app devs give iOS variants extra polish.

And I’ve used Samsung flagships for 5 years, as recently as last year.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Recap stolen shamelessly from Reddit:
0:18 - Baldur's Gate 3 (Native)----120 FPS 1440P Ultra/ 90-120 FPS 2160 Ultra
2:07 - Metro Exodus (Rosetta 2)----40-50 FPS 2234P High/ 80 FPS 1980 x1200 High
3:30 - Shadow of The Tomb Raider (Rosetta 2)----90 FPS 1080P High/ 75-80 FPS 1440P High
5:17 - Overwatch (Parallels 17)---- 100 FPS 1440P High
5:33 - GTA V (Parallels 17)---- 30-35 FPS 1080P Normal
6:40 - Resident Evil 3 (CrossOver 21)---- 40 FPS 2160P Graphics Quality
7:12 - GTA V (CrossOver 21)---- 55-60 FPS 1080P Normal
8:03 - DARK SOULS III (CrossOver 21)---- 60 FPS 1080P High
8:13 - Devil May Cry V (CrossOver 21)---- 50-75 FPS 1080p High
8:20 - The Witcher 3 (CrossOver 21)---- 45-50FPS 1920x1200 High
8:29 - The Pathless (Rosetta 2)---- 55 FPS 1080P High
9:45 - Dying Light (Rosetta 2)---- 100-110 FPS 1080P High
10:55 - Alien Isolation (Rosetta 2)---- 50-65 FPS 1080P Max
11:40 - WORLD OF WARCRAFT (Rosetta 2)---- 70 FPS 2160P Max/ 110 FPS 1440P Max
12:37 - Black Ops 3 (Rosetta 2)---70-100 FPS 1080P High/ 60-90FPS 1440P Med/ 40FPS Med 4K
13:36 - DiRT 4 (Rosetta 2)---- 120 FPS 1440P High
14:27 - Borderlands 3 (Rosetta 2)---- 45-50 FPS 1080P High
15:40 - Myst Remake (Native)---- 120 FPS 1080P High
16:15 - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Rosetta 2)---- 70-80 FPS 1080P High/ 51 FPS 1440P High
17:21 - Total War Saga: Troy (Rosetta 2)-90 FPS 1080P High/80FPS 1440P High/52 FPS 4K High
18:12 - Minecraft (Rosetta 2 & Native)---- 110-120 FPS 1440P Default Q
18:52 - CS:GO (Rosetta 2)---- 80 FPS 1080P High/ 100+ FPS 1080P Med
19:26 - Subnautica: Below Zero (Rosetta 2)---- 40-60 FPS 1080P High
19:56 - Civilization VI (Rosetta 2)---- 90 FPS 1440P Ultra
20:20 - Disco Elysium (Native)---- 120 FPS 1440P Max/ 60 FPS 4K Max
20:55 - DOTA 2 (Rosetta 2)---- 100 FPS 1080P High/ 120 FPS 1080P Med/ 100+ FPS 1440P Med
21:16 - League of Legends (Rosetta 2)---- 120 FPS 1080P Max/ 90FPS 2234P Max
21:45 - Divinity: Original Sin 2 (Rosetta 2)---- 70-100 FPS 2K Ultra

dottme

Recap stolen shamelessly from Reddit:
0:18 - Baldur's Gate 3 (Native)----120 FPS 1440P Ultra/ 90-120 FPS 2160 Ultra
2:07 - Metro Exodus (Rosetta 2)----40-50 FPS 2234P High/ 80 FPS 1980 x1200 High
3:30 - Shadow of The Tomb Raider (Rosetta 2)----90 FPS 1080P High/ 75-80 FPS 1440P High
5:17 - Overwatch (Parallels 17)---- 100 FPS 1440P High
5:33 - GTA V (Parallels 17)---- 30-35 FPS 1080P Normal
6:40 - Resident Evil 3 (CrossOver 21)---- 40 FPS 2160P Graphics Quality
7:12 - GTA V (CrossOver 21)---- 55-60 FPS 1080P Normal
8:03 - DARK SOULS III (CrossOver 21)---- 60 FPS 1080P High
8:13 - Devil May Cry V (CrossOver 21)---- 50-75 FPS 1080p High
8:20 - The Witcher 3 (CrossOver 21)---- 45-50FPS 1920x1200 High
8:29 - The Pathless (Rosetta 2)---- 55 FPS 1080P High
9:45 - Dying Light (Rosetta 2)---- 100-110 FPS 1080P High
10:55 - Alien Isolation (Rosetta 2)---- 50-65 FPS 1080P Max
11:40 - WORLD OF WARCRAFT (Rosetta 2)---- 70 FPS 2160P Max/ 110 FPS 1440P Max
12:37 - Black Ops 3 (Rosetta 2)---70-100 FPS 1080P High/ 60-90FPS 1440P Med/ 40FPS Med 4K
13:36 - DiRT 4 (Rosetta 2)---- 120 FPS 1440P High
14:27 - Borderlands 3 (Rosetta 2)---- 45-50 FPS 1080P High
15:40 - Myst Remake (Native)---- 120 FPS 1080P High
16:15 - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Rosetta 2)---- 70-80 FPS 1080P High/ 51 FPS 1440P High
17:21 - Total War Saga: Troy (Rosetta 2)-90 FPS 1080P High/80FPS 1440P High/52 FPS 4K High
18:12 - Minecraft (Rosetta 2 & Native)---- 110-120 FPS 1440P Default Q
18:52 - CS:GO (Rosetta 2)---- 80 FPS 1080P High/ 100+ FPS 1080P Med
19:26 - Subnautica: Below Zero (Rosetta 2)---- 40-60 FPS 1080P High
19:56 - Civilization VI (Rosetta 2)---- 90 FPS 1440P Ultra
20:20 - Disco Elysium (Native)---- 120 FPS 1440P Max/ 60 FPS 4K Max
20:55 - DOTA 2 (Rosetta 2)---- 100 FPS 1080P High/ 120 FPS 1080P Med/ 100+ FPS 1440P Med
21:16 - League of Legends (Rosetta 2)---- 120 FPS 1080P Max/ 90FPS 2234P Max
21:45 - Divinity: Original Sin 2 (Rosetta 2)---- 70-100 FPS 2K Ultra

It feels like it’s all over the place. My feeling is probably based on the optimization work. Probably some are well optimise for AS and some not. I’ll blame the TBDR use by AS GPU for this which require developer to adapt their code.
But with even better performing base Mac, I wish we are going to see more games slowly.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It feels like it’s all over the place. My feeling is probably based on the optimization work. Probably some are well optimise for AS and some not. I’ll blame the TBDR use by AS GPU for this which require developer to adapt their code.
But with even better performing base Mac, I wish we are going to see more games slowly.

To be honest, the lack of Mac games has never been about available gpu power.

Apple walks alone and that has positives and negatives. Like abandoning OpenGL or not supporting vulkan.

Star-Lord

How have I only just now found out that you can use themes on iOS? I mean, it’s still nowhere near as customisable as Android, but it’s a start. All Apple need to do now is allow transparent icons and let us place icons anywhere.

TransTrender

Gold Member
First time iPhone user here, had some iPod Touches in the past, and have an iPhone13 Pro at the moment.

Still working through a lot of stuff, but how do I change the text scaling for iMessage or whatever the fuck this uses for text messaging. It's like the old Jitterbug phones for old blind people. The text is huge and the UI is wasting tons of space.

EDIT: I used Textra on my Android.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
First time iPhone user here, had some iPod Touches in the past, and have an iPhone13 Pro at the moment.

Still working through a lot of stuff, but how do I change the text scaling for iMessage or whatever the fuck this uses for text messaging. It's like the old Jitterbug phones for old blind people. The text is huge and the UI is wasting tons of space.
Settings > Display & Brightness > Text Size

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Finally received my 50$ voucher for apple accessories from media markt for the delay of my 13 pro.
I initiall wanted to get a case but I got used to using it caseless I think.

So there is not much apple stuff you can get for 50. It's practically either Apple clear case or magsafe charger.
I got the charger for my wife (she uses on her bedside nightstand) and she is ok with it. I don't personally see too much difference compared to just connecting the cable.
SO I am not sure what to get :p

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What about the magsafe apple wallet ?
I don't want to cover the nice phone with a case and I would not use the magsafe charger too much...
then maybe I can get the wallet? I can at least put my driving license and ID in there when I go out so I don't have to take my normal big wallet with me?
Sounds... reasonable. But I don't think there is a single person on earth using iphone without a case and with a wallet :p

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
What about the magsafe apple wallet ?
I don't want to cover the nice phone with a case and I would not use the magsafe charger too much...
then maybe I can get the wallet? I can at least put my driving license and ID in there when I go out so I don't have to take my normal big wallet with me?
Sounds... reasonable. But I don't think there is a single person on earth using iphone without a case and with a wallet :p
I like mine. It only holds 3 cards so I use it as a daily thing. When I travel I take my health insurance and other cards so I use my front pocket wallet (it’s a fantastic leather one from Saddleback).
Watch some reviews on the wallet as some found it’s connection too weak. I have not experienced that problem and I’ve had mine since launch.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I like mine. It only holds 3 cards so I use it as a daily thing. When I travel I take my health insurance and other cards so I use my front pocket wallet (it’s a fantastic leather one from Saddleback).
Watch some reviews on the wallet as some found it’s connection too weak. I have not experienced that problem and I’ve had mine since launch.
Thanks!
I know I am pondering WAY too much on the free 50 bucks lol.
But that's what I do. Oh buy a flat ? buy a 1000$ iphone? no problem. But these 50 bucks on gadgets none of which I would get otherwise? now that's a thing to overthink

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
How have I only just now found out that you can use themes on iOS? I mean, it’s still nowhere near as customisable as Android, but it’s a start. All Apple need to do now is allow transparent icons and let us place icons anywhere.

There's an app that creates widgets without a title and they fill them with the background image, which means it becomes invisible. You can use it to tweak icon placement using these widgets as blockers.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Well the Apple Care on my iPhone 11 Pro expires in nine days, so I may as well get ready to buy a new phone. Gonna go with a 13. Looking at the specs of the Pro, I don't need it. May as well save the $300 or whatever dollars.

Top Bottom