• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple |OT| TV/Arcade/iPad/mac/iPhone

Deku Tree

Not sure why Apple are sticking with the M1 design for so long, which is A14. Instead of moving to A15 chip design. But I guess the Mac Pro chips in 2022 are gonna blow everything else away anyway.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Not sure why Apple are sticking with the M1 design for so long, which is A14. Instead of moving to A15 chip design. But I guess the Mac Pro chips in 2022 are gonna blow everything else away anyway.

Yields.

They're probably already squeezing as much 5nm silicon as they can from TSMC just to make phones.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
My 2019 MacBook Pro is running hot as fuck all of a sudden even when just Safari is active. Installing this new version of MacOS but I doubt it will help. Might be time to cop one of the new ones. Or take my work up providing me a Surface instead. We’ll see.

Edit: I upgraded and now no more heat issues. I don't know how I feel about that. Maybe I should have looked into it more before, maybe see if some daemon or something was acting up. But it's all good now.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Btw, apple is rolling out a self repair program, selling parts, tools and repair manuals.

I mean wtf 😳 I never expected to see the day. It seems to me that is carefully worded to mean they’ll sell these to people, not business tho. It’s “right to repair” without those pesky, bothersome, 3rd party repair shops.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Today was expensive. Wife got an iPad Air 256gb + Apple Pencil gen 2 + AirPod Max. I got a pair of AirPod Max too. Ordered the Waterfield case for both of us too from SF Bags.

I’m impressed with the audio quality. I was expecting nothing great but they aren’t bad at all.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I turned that off. It’s neat at first and then I’ll put my phone down while I’m doing something and it just makes everything sound worse
The head tracking one is rough, especially on albums/songs that were not mixed for spatial or dolby atmos. A few albums I ran across that blew my mind were Abbey Road by The Beatles & Gold-Diggers Sound by Leon Bridges. Those blew me away. There's incredible imaging and separation on a scale I've yet to hear on headphones. Granted this has only been an hour or so of listening. I still have to dig through and find some other albums that are mixed well.

Any albums that do not have a label for spatial or dolby atmos absolutely sound far worse when forcing spatial audio.

Thaedolus

The head tracking one is rough, especially on albums/songs that were not mixed for spatial or dolby atmos. A few albums I ran across that blew my mind were Abbey Road by The Beatles & Gold-Diggers Sound by Leon Bridges. Those blew me away. There's incredible imaging and separation on a scale I've yet to hear on headphones. Granted this has only been an hour or so of listening. I still have to dig through and find some other albums that are mixed well.

Any albums that do not have a label for spatial or dolby atmos absolutely sound far worse when forcing spatial audio.

Ohhhh yeah that spatial audio. Yes that’s pretty dope, I was thinking of the head tracking.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Ohhhh yeah that spatial audio. Yes that’s pretty dope, I was thinking of the head tracking.
Yeah, I was fucking around with the settings and found you can force the head tracking but my phone is never just front-and-center for me so I doubt I'll use it much. What's weird is that my intel MacBook Pro form 2019 does not support spatial audio at all from what I can tell. So, I will have to listen to music from my phone or Apple TV if I want the added depth.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Still dealing with this iPhone13 Pro coming from Android.

Is there any way to get non-app Youtube background playback (via a browser) to work on IOS?
For the same use case above, is there any way to get consistent picture in picture (small playback window in the foreground while I can still use my phone or browse other websites) working?
Is there any way to get above 720p playback on Youtube without an app?
Is there any way to get Safari tabs to stack instead of going with the tiled layout since it takes much more time to swap through the tabs?
Is there a different browser option that supports this?

dottme

Is there any way to get non-app Youtube background playback (via a browser) to work on IOS?
For the same use case above, is there any way to get consistent picture in picture (small playback window in the foreground while I can still use my phone or browse other websites) working?
Is there any way to get Safari tabs to stack instead of going with the tiled layout since it takes much more time to swap through the tabs?
For the YouTube Picture in Picture, Youtube disable it so you cannot do it. With the app, they try to sell it as a YouTube plus feature. It’s pretty disappointing considering this is an OS feature.
for other video, put the video in full screen and then click the icon next to the X.

for Yotube, I can get more than 720p. I don’t do anything special so I’m not sure.

GeekyDad

'Nother noob question please. All day yesterday and this morning there was something open on my lockscreen. Finally inquired with Siri a few times until she brought up a link to something regarding "music widget stuck on lock screen." I didn't even use any apps that play music, and I always close all apps when I'm done. The only thing that finally got rid of it was shutting down and restarting my phone. Is there any other way to simply clear it off the lockscreen?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I saw this headline and it made me think of your post. Not sure if this will work for you, but it's worth a shot:

'Nother noob question please. All day yesterday and this morning there was something open on my lockscreen. Finally inquired with Siri a few times until she brought up a link to something regarding "music widget stuck on lock screen." I didn't even use any apps that play music, and I always close all apps when I'm done. The only thing that finally got rid of it was shutting down and restarting my phone. Is there any other way to simply clear it off the lockscreen?
Is it the Apple Music widget? IE did it look like this:

je7aYhv.jpg

i keep getting a notification on my 12 pro max. well not a notification but a prompt? it comes up right in the middle of the screen. something to do with turning bluetooth on for headphones? can't remember the exact wording (i really should cause it fucking appears a lot).

i have sony wf-100xm3's so yeah i do use bluetooth for earphones but why is this appearing all the time when i'm NOT using them and bluetooth is off? i don't like leaving bluetooth on when i'm not using it but i might just to stop this appearing all the time. is there anyway to stop it or should i just leave bluetooth on to appease the damn phone?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
i keep getting a notification on my 12 pro max. well not a notification but a prompt? it comes up right in the middle of the screen. something to do with turning bluetooth on for headphones? can't remember the exact wording (i really should cause it fucking appears a lot).

i have sony wf-100xm3's so yeah i do use bluetooth for earphones but why is this appearing all the time? i don't like leaving bluetooth on when i'm not using it but i might just to stop this appearing all the time. is there anyway to stop it or should i just leave bluetooth on to appease the damn phone?
Are you using the Sonys on another device when the prompt appears?

Take a screenshot the next time it appears and post it.

Are you using the Sonys on another device when the prompt appears?

Take a screenshot the next time it appears and post it.
i do use them on my iPad sometimes but no it appears even if i haven't connected to the ipad. i have them connectedto my phone every day but my ipad maybe once a month or something.

i will take a screenshot when it appears

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Thinking about switching from Android to IOS,worth taking the 11 over the 12?
Impossible to say for you without knowing your use case. I personally greatly prefer the look & feel of the 12 & 13 and never want to go back to rounded corners ever again unless there is some technological reason compelling enough. In terms of performance, always go with the newer device. You'll get more life out of it & have a higher resale value should you choose to depart with it.

edit: omg im an idiot lol. the app for my earphones is called "Headphones" so what it's saying is turn on bluetooth to let the app connect to my earphones. still...wish it would stop appearing. i love my sony earphones but the software integration sucks. you win apple i will just break my habit and leave bluetooth on

took a screenshot. why does this keep appearing? i don't understand it. connect headphones to accessories? i only use my bluetooth earphones to connect to the phone. i don't have any accessories except my earphones...so how can i connect my ear phones to my earphones? am i being thick lol

0-ACCC83-D-FCD3-4552-90-ED-222-BC42650-CD.png

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Alright finally got a little time for myself.

I think the watch is at its best when it functions as a continuous computing device - you don't pay attention to it, but it warns you of climatological change, it tracks your activity, it motivates you to move more. Like a companion computer that you don't operate but it's there, quietly grinding its gears providing functionality. I remember once I was walking quickly and it prompted me to confirm whether I was doing a work out or not! The watch paid attention, and asked. Apple's privacy stance probably hinders them in this regard, a google watch would probably point you to shops you'd like as you walk by them, suggesting a visit.

The watch is less impressive when you're actually interacting with it. Messaging is a bit crummy and whatsapp is not properly supported (blame facebook!). Calls work reasonably well. It has to be said however, that the watch works very well at notification filtering - yay!. The app shop for the watch is on the weak side and I've read that apps with custom activity-like complications tracking other things require attention to keep working, bit of a shame that Apple is growing insular, imho.

And of course, it's gorgeous to look at. The series 7 bigger display almost gives you the illusion that the screen fades away, it works much better than the phone at tricking your brain about how much screen there is!. When you watch photos, or other type of full screen color content, it's a very WOAH moment. Speaking of the screen, the depth of the blacks makes the more spare screens and watchfaces work and well - it never feels like a dimmed out screen.

I'm somewhat regretful that I had to shell so much money for sapphire crystal, but I have experience with mineral glass watches. The stainless steel silver is beautiful tho!

In conclusion: good, but when it's good it reminds you of how much better it could be!

edit: I forgot to mention - the haptics on the wheel are amaaaazing!

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Hello iPhone peoples!
With Safari how do I get from the linked video here to the video itself on YouTube?
With other browsers on iOS I can get linked to the video on YouTube but with Safari there doesn't seem to be a way to do it?

dcll

Banned
I traded for a new iMac, trying to decide if I should keep it and probably should since I am only in it 500 dollars. I bought an iPad Pro for 500 and ended up trading it for an M1 Pro and I already have an M1 Air so I have had the Pro on Facebook marketplace for awhile now. A couple days ago I had a guy offer this iMac, not big on the color but couldn’t pass the trade up

9Ig20Y6.jpg
MOrxMwK.jpg

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Hello iPhone peoples!
With Safari how do I get from the linked video here to the video itself on YouTube?
With other browsers on iOS I can get linked to the video on YouTube but with Safari there doesn't seem to be a way to do it?
I usually press on the YouTube icon & it loads the app automatically.

ParaSeoul

Impossible to say for you without knowing your use case. I personally greatly prefer the look & feel of the 12 & 13 and never want to go back to rounded corners ever again unless there is some technological reason compelling enough. In terms of performance, always go with the newer device. You'll get more life out of it & have a higher resale value should you choose to depart with it.
13 it is then

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Apple Fitness+ introduces new ways to motivate people toward their goals with Collections, Time to Run, and more starting January 10​

New Time to Walk guests and Artist Spotlight workouts also join Fitness+

Apple Fitness+, the first fitness and wellness service built entirely around Apple Watch and designed to be welcoming to all, is introducing Collections and Time to Run on January 10. Collections are a curated series of workouts and meditations from the Fitness+ library organized to help users reach a goal, and Time to Run is an audio running experience designed to help users become more consistent and better runners, featuring popular running routes in some of the most notable cities.
“At the beginning of a new year, we know many people are looking for new ways to go after their goals. With these new additions, Fitness+ makes it easy to get motivated and stay active anywhere, with the most complete library of high-quality and diverse content to train your mind and body, no matter where you are on your fitness journey,” said Jay Blahnik, Apple’s vice president of Fitness Technologies. “We can’t wait for people to get motivated to reach their goals with Collections, and inspired by Time to Run’s exploration of iconic cities with rich running history.”
The same day, Fitness+ will also introduce the third season of Time to Walk featuring guests such as Rebel Wilson, Bernice A. King, and Hasan Minhaj, as well as new Artist Spotlight workouts featuring music from Ed Sheeran, Pharrell Williams, Shakira, and the Beatles.
“For me, a great playlist can make or break a workout,” said Shakira. “Music has that power to energize you and make it more fun, so I hope these playlists can be inspiring for the Apple Fitness+ users who choose them too!”

Collections

Fitness+ will introduce Collections, a curated series of workouts and meditations from the Fitness+ library organized to help users reach their goals. Drawing from almost 2,000 studio-style workouts and guided meditations available in Fitness+, Collections will provide users with an entirely new way to get motivated as they begin their next workout or meditation. Collections will include a suggested plan to help users make intentional training choices over the next several days or weeks.
The following six Collections will be available at launch:
  • 30-Day Core Challenge
  • Improve Your Posture with Pilates
  • Perfect Your Yoga Balance Poses
  • Run Your First 5K
  • Strengthen Your Back, Stretch Your Hips
  • Wind Down for a Better Bedtime

Time to Run

Running is one of the most popular activities that can be done anytime, anywhere, with benefits like improved cardio fitness, a better mood, and stress relief. Time to Run on Fitness+ is a new audio running experience designed to help users become more consistent and better runners, with each episode focused on a popular running route in some of the most notable and iconic locations.
Each episode is composed of inspiring coaching tips led by one of the Fitness+ trainers users know and love, including Emily Fayette, Jamie-Ray Hartshorne, Sam Sanchez, and Scott Carvin, as well as one new running trainer, Cory Wharton-Malcolm. Wharton-Malcolm, who is renowned for championing inclusivity in the running community, ran his first marathon in 2007, and now he embarks on running adventures all over the world. His lively coaching makes even the hardest run feel playful.
Time to Run episodes also feature motivational and energizing music, with playlists curated by the Fitness+ trainers. The playlists are designed to match each run’s intensity, location, and coaching, capturing the spirit of the city where the run takes place. For example, the playlist for Miami Beach features Latin music inspired by the vibrant sights and sounds of the city. Users can also save the playlists to listen to anytime. During Time to Run, users will also receive photos taken by the Fitness+ trainer of notable sights along their route. Photos will be available in the workout summary afterward, and users can save them to their photo library or share with others.
Time to Run will launch with three episodes: London, coached by Cory Wharton-Malcolm; Brooklyn, coached by Emily Fayette; and Miami Beach, coached by Sam Sanchez. One new episode of Time to Run will be released each week on Mondays. Runners of all levels can enjoy Time to Run and stay motivated on their route from start to finish.
Time to Run joins a growing portfolio of Fitness+ audio experiences, including Time to Walk and Meditation, that can easily be done anytime, anywhere — all users need is an Apple Watch and AirPods, or other Bluetooth-enabled headphones. Time to Run can be experienced outside or inside on a treadmill, and episodes will be available in the Workout app on Apple Watch with a Fitness+ subscription. For Apple Watch customers who use a wheelchair, Time to Run becomes Time to Run or Push, and once selected, it gives users the choice to start a run or an Outdoor Push Running Pace workout.

Time to Walk

Starting January 10, Fitness+ will introduce the third season of Time to Walk, an inspiring audio experience on Apple Watch designed to encourage people to get active by walking more often. Time to Walk features some of the world’s most interesting and influential people, who share stories, photos, and music with Fitness+ subscribers. Time to Walk has featured 41 guests to date, including Dolly Parton, Anthony Joshua, Jane Fonda, Randall Park, Camila Cabello, Naomi Campbell, Ruby Bridges, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Bebe Rexha, and many others. Most recently, His Royal Highness Prince William closed out the second season talking about the importance of keeping mentally fit.
As the series begins its third season, new guests will be added each week. Starting January 10, users can walk with actor, writer, and producer Rebel Wilson. In her episode, she recalls an acting lesson that became a great life lesson, and how an unexpected connection provided comfort after she lost a loved one.
Some of the additional Time to Walk guests in Season 3 will include:
  • Bernice A. King, advocate, minister, and CEO of the Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change.
  • Hasan Minhaj, the comedian, writer, and producer known for his work on “The Daily Show” and his award-winning series “Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj.”
  • Chris Meloni, the actor best known for his television role on “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.”
  • Ayọ Tometi, the human rights advocate, strategist, and writer known for her role as a co-founder of Black Lives Matter.
  • Chelsea Handler, known for her standup comedy, former host of “The Chelsea Handler Show,” and the author of six best-selling books.
  • Sugar Ray Leonard, former professional boxer, Olympic gold medalist, and Hall of Famer.

Artist Spotlight

Additionally, Fitness+ will add to the popular Artist Spotlight series with new workouts featuring the music of Ed Sheeran, Pharrell Williams, Shakira, and the Beatles. The series dedicates an entire workout playlist to a single artist. Every Monday for four weeks, new workouts featuring music by each of these artists will appear in the service across different modalities. Workout types include Cycling, Dance, HIIT, Strength, Treadmill, and Yoga, across music genres such as Chill Vibes, Everything Rock, Hip-Hop/R&B, Latin Grooves, and Upbeat Anthems.
Inspired by these Fitness+ workouts, Apple Music and Apple One subscribers can enjoy the Fitness+ Spotlight series, which includes a unique playlist for each individual Artist Spotlight musician, featuring motivating, high-energy tracks from their entire catalogs, as well as collaborations and remixes for motivation outside of their Fitness+ workouts.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Universal Control between Mac & iPad is neat as hell. I'm now tempted to look at some sort of mount to use with it. Although I really like having right below my monitor to have as a music streamer.

ParaSeoul

Decided to get an iPhone. Still deciding on the which one,SE or 13. Already set on the iPad I want. 9th gen,yes I know the M1 devices are amazing but this one fits my needs as a secondary device more.

ParaSeoul

I'd go for the 13 unless you have budgetary constraints.
Was thinking of that but then I'm also realizing I don't use my phone anymore a lot for games or other media consumption so the screen and camera doesn't really matter to much to me. Just wanted something that would be fast and get updates for years.

Rubytux

Neo Member
Was thinking of that but then I'm also realizing I don't use my phone anymore a lot for games or other media consumption so the screen and camera doesn't really matter to much to me. Just wanted something that would be fast and get updates for years.

I have the iPhone 8 which is like the SE 3 and it has minor usability problems around the fact that a few webs and the apps are made currently for phones with bigger screens/pixels.

I recommend the iPhone 13 Mini.

Top Bottom