• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Preparing a ‘Portable Hybrid Console’ With a Brand New SoC That Offers Enhanced GPU Performance Increase

FStubbs

Lol no amount of money could make any vg company to create first party contents as good as Nintendo.

Sure they could do maybe a Belda release, but no. That will be hilarious though.
Apple has a ton of money though, and is fundamentally smarter than Sony or Microsoft at consumer goods, with a huge tech edge. That's why I say they could do it, but it wouldn't be worth the cost. One advantage Sony did admittedly have was experience creating entertainment and working with Nintendo.
Switch and their disgusting 1999 graphics would be absolutely irrelevant overnight if Apple took handheld gaming seriously.
I don't think your beastliest rigs in 1999 could match the Switch.

Last edited:

Trilobit

I played NBA 2k21 Arcade on my friends new Macbook recently and it was a bug fest. I was hoping for some quality games on Apple Arcade, but it was disappointing beyond belief. Apple would have to invest some serious bucks for that to become something better than your average Flash game site.

Zannegan

From a consumer standpoint, without exclusive software, what can they offer besides a beastly Fortnite machine(assuming Fortnite comes back to iOS)? From a business standpoint, are they building this just for their 30% cut of 3rd party stuff, or are they planning to invest in first party game studios? I don't see their angle.

Regardless, their new SoC is supposed to be pretty much unmatched in its weight class, so I'd like them to give it a shot just to see what the hardware looks like. Maybe they'll use advanced haptics to make the first fully functional 3D game controller without moving parts. IDK.

mrMUR_96

More competition is always better and Apple's hardware is usually pretty solid, especially the new M1 chip. I'm not sure what their software support is gonna be like though, I have 0 interest in apple arcade type games.

A hybrid tablet console, would actually be unique, but apple don't understand anything about gaming, so dont see it happening.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Apple has had the most power-efficient SoCs for gaming loads in years. Be it from an architectural advantage from the IP they got out of PowerVR / IMG, or from the fact that they always get dibs on the state-of-the-art fabrication processes.

I have little doubt that if Apple comes up with a gaming-oriented ULP SoC, it'll be much better than whatever Nvidia can do for Nintendo (even moreso considering how little Nintendo is usually willing to pay).
However, Apple has their constantly record-setting revenues depending on a much higher average selling price and profit margins than Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft would ever dare ask for on a gaming console.

So, can Apple make a handheld console that is light-years ahead of Nintendo's Switch 2/Pro in performance and visuals? Absolutely.
Just don't count on it costing $400 or less. It'll probably be closer to 3x that.

The Switch needs a contender.
So much this. Sony and Microsoft really dropped the ball for assuming tablets and smartphones were going to gobble up all handheld gaming in the world.

ultrazilla

Does Apple have The Legend of Zelda? Donkey Kong? Pikmin? F-Zero(quiet I said!), Animal Crossing? Pilot Wings(shut up in the back!), Super Mario? Super Mario Kart? Paper Mario?
Super Smash Brothers? Luigi's Mansion? Astral Chain
? I could keep going but you get the point by now I hope.

It's software that sells a system. Apple could give us the equivalent of a portable PS5 and I wouldn't give a shit because they are simply not going to have games I want to play on it.

It'll be an uphill battle for them if this is true.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Sony went all-in on the portable market with amazing hardware and games, but they still got steamrolled by Nintendo. It just ain't happening.
Bro.. Sony is not Apple... This thing would have a cult following the instant it was announced. It would be magnitudes more powerful. iOS, compatibility with iPhone, Mac, etc. Come on. Shit would sell like hotcakes. Apple logo is fail proof at this point.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Does Apple have The Legend of Zelda? Donkey Kong? Pikmin? F-Zero(quiet I said!), Animal Crossing? Pilot Wings(shut up in the back!), Super Mario? Super Mario Kart? Paper Mario?

It's software that sells a system. Apple could give us the equivalent of a portable PS5 and I wouldn't give a shit because they are simply not going to have games I want to play on it.

The third party support for the Apple device would make up for its lack of first party. It would get way, WAY better third party support than any Nintendo console since n64.

Interfectum

Bro.. Sony is not Apple... This thing would have a cult following the instant it was announced. It would be magnitudes more powerful. iOS, compatibility with iPhone, Mac, etc. Come on. Shit would sell like hotcakes. Apple logo is fail proof at this point.
Not really. HomePod and Apple TV+ not exactly lighting the world on fire no matter how much money they put in. Apple TV itself is in last place on the market. To enter gaming you need known IP that gamers like. Apple can't really touch Nintendo in this area. Outside of outright buying Nintendo they really can't beat them in the handheld segment at this point.

Interfectum

The third party support for the Apple device would make up for its lack of first party. It would get way, WAY better third party support than any Nintendo console since n64.
Third party from what? A portable Call of Duty? That's already on mobile. There is nothing from even a third party that could go up against Nintendo IP in this sector. This is like saying Apple TV+ could take on Disney+.

it will be good competition for Switch if it ever happens.

for years we've been hearing about Apple getting into gaming but never really happened. closest they've got is beefing up an old Apple TV and releasing Apple Arcade. if anyone can come in and kick ass it's Apple. Google tried and failed. Amazon tried and failed.

the most valuable company in the world? yeah i'm sure they'll struggle lol...

if MS can buy up studios/IPs without making a dent in their valuation just imagine what Apple could do. they aren't gonna immediately come out with proven IPs. they'd buy stuff up first then make their own stuff. MSFT = 1.83T. AAPL = 2.09T so... if Apple wanted to enter gaming in a serious way they could literally change the gaming industry over night.

you'd soon be desperate to own an Apple console.

Apple is like Supreme, people would buy a brick with Apple logo on it.

or a giant turd with a birthday cake candle apple logo in it.

$999 minimum. there wouldn't be enough shit in the world to keep up with demand.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
They could easily slap some buttons on an iPod touch redesign to bring it in line with PSP Go or something like that. Give it a decent GPU, let it dock with TVs, sell it for 500 bucks.

I don't see how people think Apple couldn't pull it off.

Interfectum

the most valuable company in the world? yeah i'm sure they'll struggle lol...

if MS can buy up studios/IPs without making a dent in their valuation just imagine what Apple could do. they aren't gonna immediately come out with proven IPs. they'd buy stuff up first then make their own stuff. MSFT = 1.83T. AAPL = 2.09T so... if Apple wanted to enter gaming in a serious way they could literally change the gaming industry over night.

you'd soon be desperate to own an Apple console.
LOL

Microsoft has been in the console business for years and can't get out of third place despite literally giving AAA games away. What do you think Apple could do to 'change the gaming industry over night' that MS hasn't already tried? You think Apple shareholders would be cool with them spending a hundred billion dollars to buy up GTA, Epic, etc to wiggle their way in because that's the only way they'd succeed.

Apple is literally trying to buy it's way into video streaming right now and is failing miserably. Apple Arcade is also failing to light the mobile world on fire. Why do you think they could just waltz in and take it?

lachesis

I'm okay with Apple supplying M1 chip or its variant to Nintendo for the successor of Switch... but then again, highly unlikely scenario. :)

FStubbs

LOL

Microsoft has been in the console business for years and can't get out of third place despite literally giving AAA games away. What do you think Apple could do to 'change the gaming industry over night' that MS hasn't already tried? You think Apple shareholders would be cool with them spending a hundred billion dollars to buy up GTA, Epic, etc to wiggle their way in because that's the only way they'd succeed.

Apple is literally trying to buy it's way into video streaming right now and is failing miserably. Apple Arcade is also failing to light the mobile world on fire. Why do you think they could just waltz in and take it?
This. Like I said, Apple could do it, it would just require them to do some very un-Apple things.

Though Apple is a LOT better at selling consumer products than Microsoft ever was.

MrSec84

Portable RT? Nha don't think so.
It's possible look at the RTX 3060 it only uses 170 watts with 3584 Cuda Cores, Tensor and RTX hardware, running at 1780Mhz, it's a 12TFlop Ampere GPU, half the clocks of that could drop the power consumption in half, that's 85 watts, half the active Cuda Cores running at 890 MHz in TV mode would drop the mains power consumption of the GPU hardware down to less than 45 watts, that's an almost 3.2TFlop Ampere GPU, probably more than capable enough to keep up with Xbox Series S in GPU performance.

The scaling can continue down depending on how demanding the games are, but you get the idea and if they developed their own version of DLSS (which they would need to do to compete in this market) the image quality could still be pretty good.

I don't personally know much about whether Apple's own chips can compete with something like Ampere Architecture, I here all the time about how good Apple's Processors are, but Nvidia has shown that Ray Tracing can be done using pretty low wattage, I doubt the Series S's GPU uses much power, given it's tiny size and that also has Ray Tracing tech built in.

If apple are serious about doing something like this then they could certainly include Ray Tracing in the system to be at least active when the device is connected to mains power.

Like half the Stadia library is Ubisoft, they seem to like jumping on board poorly thought out big tech company gaming products.

Watch if this real it's just ios games that are playable on it. Making it a Switch Ouya.

Dream-Knife

Banned
This really makes no sense, unless it's an add on for the iphone.

It would be odd, as Nintendo tried to emulate Apple. I'm sure the mindless fans will love it. I'm more excited by the Steam handheld.

Reindeer

Already a thing on ultra thin high performance laptops that use a chip made on much worse 8nm node (Apple ideas 5nm and will be switching to 3nm soon). RT should be a thing on next Switch too.

Last edited:

Stooky

Not really. HomePod and Apple TV+ not exactly lighting the world on fire no matter how much money they put in. Apple TV itself is in last place on the market. To enter gaming you need known IP that gamers like. Apple can't really touch Nintendo in this area. Outside of outright buying Nintendo they really can't beat them in the handheld segment at this point.
Are you picking the 2 things that's not hot for apple right now and are ignoring everything else that wildly successful for them. People would buy it just because its Apple, especially if it had any phone/ipad capabilities. The wireless speaker and tv streaming market place is crowded the gaming hand held market place is not. Apple should make that move.

oagboghi2

Are you picking the 2 things that's not hot for apple right now and are ignoring everything else that wildly successful for them. People would buy it just because its Apple, especially if it had any phone/ipad capabilities. The wireless speaker and tv streaming market place is crowded the gaming hand held market place is not. Apple should make that move.
It’s not 2 things. It’s like half of their product line.

Apple is successful at phones, they dominate tablets, and have a huge presence in laptops. That’s it. They don’t have the best selling desktop, their attempts at various streaming services have been lukewarm, and their home oriented hardware has never caught on. The Homepod being a prime example.

People don’t just buy shit because it’s apple. That is a popular lie on the internet, but still a lie.

Stooky

It’s not 2 things. It’s like half of their product line.

Apple is successful at phones, they dominate tablets, and have a huge presence in laptops. That’s it. They don’t have the best selling desktop, their attempts at various streaming services have been lukewarm, and their home oriented hardware has never caught on. The Homepod being a prime example.

People don’t just buy shit because it’s apple. That is a popular lie on the internet, but still a lie.
Home pod and apple+ = Half of their product line?!?!! hahahaha!!! Apple music is doing fine as well as apple tv and many of their other products as one of the richest companies in the world. Nope, I don't believe you. I cant take you seriously. I'm done with this conversation. Thanks for the laugh though, made me almost choke while sipping my green tea lol. You funny lol.

Last edited:
Apple to gaming is the Heath Ledger to Batman film

Don't underestimate their craft. They already make their own Processor, wait til they start making their own battery tech.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Sony went all-in on the portable market with amazing hardware and games, but they still got steamrolled by Nintendo. It just ain't happening.

They by no means went all in. They threw on a handful of development teams at it, they overcharged for the storage, the controllers sucked, there was lots more they could have done.

S0ULZB0URNE

It's possible look at the RTX 3060 it only uses 170 watts with 3584 Cuda Cores, Tensor and RTX hardware, running at 1780Mhz, it's a 12TFlop Ampere GPU, half the clocks of that could drop the power consumption in half, that's 85 watts, half the active Cuda Cores running at 890 MHz in TV mode would drop the mains power consumption of the GPU hardware down to less than 45 watts, that's an almost 3.2TFlop Ampere GPU, probably more than capable enough to keep up with Xbox Series S in GPU performance.

The scaling can continue down depending on how demanding the games are, but you get the idea and if they developed their own version of DLSS (which they would need to do to compete in this market) the image quality could still be pretty good.

I don't personally know much about whether Apple's own chips can compete with something like Ampere Architecture, I here all the time about how good Apple's Processors are, but Nvidia has shown that Ray Tracing can be done using pretty low wattage, I doubt the Series S's GPU uses much power, given it's tiny size and that also has Ray Tracing tech built in.

If apple are serious about doing something like this then they could certainly include Ray Tracing in the system to be at least active when the device is connected to mains power.
Why did this get bumped?

yurinka

Apple's Pippin was super successful.

201942618484059_1.jpg

If it's an iPhone with joycons running mobile games, I think it will succeed. If instead they plan to focus on AAA games, I think they will fail hard.

Last edited:
Please call it The Pippin II
Would be a better name than WiiU or New Nintendo 3ds XL. Just saying! 🤡
Sony killed itself all alone. Nintendo has nothing to do with it.

No, wiiU says hi. Without the right hardware, you sell nothing.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Would be a better name than WiiU or New Nintendo 3ds XL. Just saying! 🤡

Sony killed itself all alone. Nintendo has nothing to do with it.

No, wiiU says hi. Without the right hardware, you sell nothing.
While the Wii U hardware was pretty bad, Nintendo's reputation it got from the Wii days is more the factor as to why it failed. Nintendo abandoned it's core market after the GameCube.

Shmunter

While the Wii U hardware was pretty bad, Nintendo's reputation it got from the Wii days is more the factor as to why it failed. Nintendo abandoned it's core market after the GameCube.
What? The WiiU is is like the Dreamcast to me. An under appreciated marvel.

Skyfox

I took a look at their apple arcade or whatever its called subscription gaming service recently. Its brand new with a LOT of dough pumped in.

But it's ALL woke, airy fairy, arty farty, meaningless superficial rubbish. No focus on responsive controls. Everything has input lag.

Apple NEVER understood this industry and only make money from it by chance.

There used to be an expression. Hardcore gaming audience. The new media have tried to squash it out of existence as a term.

Its exsctly what apple doesn't get.

oagboghi2

Home pod and apple+ = Half of their product line?!?!! hahahaha!!! Apple music is doing fine as well as apple tv and many of their other products as one of the richest companies in the world. Nope, I don't believe you. I cant take you seriously. I'm done with this conversation. Thanks for the laugh though, made me almost choke while sipping my green tea lol. You funny lol.
No, apple music isn't doing "fine". It's still being beat by many other streaming services. And lol at you brushing off the homepod. I guess becuase it directly shows you are full of shit

I'm sorry if reality is to hard for you to accept, but apple products don't just magically sell.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Apple to gaming is the Heath Ledger to Batman film

Don't underestimate their craft. They already make their own Processor, wait til they start making their own battery tech.
You're still focusing on tech instead of what wins you sales in gaming.... games. Apple cannot compete in the handheld space against Nintendo with tech alone.

No, apple music isn't doing "fine". It's still being beat by many other streaming services. And lol at you brushing off the homepod. I guess becuase it directly shows you are full of shit

I'm sorry if reality is to hard for you to accept, but apple products don't just magically sell.
Neither Nintendo, Sony or MS. They have a higer failure ratio than Apple.

Interfectum

Neither Nintendo, Sony or MS. They have a higer failure ratio than Apple.
Specifically in gaming, Apple has jack shit going for them in the hardcore gaming space. The have zero IP, expensive hardware and gamers are being well fed between PC, Xbox, PS5 and Switch. Apple is going to have to spend billions to seriously enter this space and it will take years to make any headway. Unless they buy EA, Acti and/or T2 it's not happening for them. The casuals will stick with phone, the hardcore will use non-Apple devices.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Apple doesn't have any first party development studios. This is why MS decided to start buying studios in my opinion. there was a threat that amazon, apple, google, and a few others ( embracer group, tencent, etc...) were looking to make a bigger splash in targeting traditional gamers (Amazon made studio purchases first). This was an obvious threat to what MS wanted to achieve with gamepass, and the only real way to prevent it was to purchase studios that can guarantee content and avoid other publishers games "leaving" permanently.

I know there are comparisons to Netflix, but what Netflix didn't do when they had the chance, was purchase movie and production studios early enough (Note they only did this recently). They opted to try and build content production from the ground up which put them at a distinct disadvantage when content was leaving their platform for others. MS is purchasing studios to safeguard against this. This puts sony at a disadvantage unless they safeguard against the same (I'm sure they will). It might always be why Nintendo is saying they need to branch out into new properties (They have created very little as far as new franchises in the last 15 years)

Specifically in gaming, Apple has jack shit going for them in the hardcore gaming space. The have zero IP, expensive hardware and gamers are being well fed between PC, Xbox, PS5 and Switch. Apple is going to have to spend billions to seriously enter this space and it will take years to make any headway. Unless they buy EA, Acti and/or T2 it's not happening for them. The casuals will stick with phone, the hardcore will use non-Apple devices.
Apple apps store is the place to be. It sells more games than the other sur combine.
Apple is richer than the USA. They can do whatever they want.

Not only casuals play on mobile, everyone does. There is something for everyone.

A M1 Switch at 399/499$ could be a killer. They need 3rd parties and a few exclusives.

Last edited:

No one really used, but PowerVR GPUs had hardware RT.
Apple makes it's own GPUs now, but it's based on PowerVR legacy, they could very well make a mobile GPU with good RT performance.
An Apple portable would be MUCH stronger than a new Switch. There would be no comparison, just the current "little" cores that Apple uses are as strong as the "Big" cores from the competition. The SoC would be fabbed at 5nm and don't forget, these mobile SoC also have powerful ML accelerators. Also being Apple the device would have a non insignificant industry support, the biggest thing against this portable is, "why bother"?

Top Bottom