• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to offer financing for Macs, iPads, AirPods, Apple TV, etc.

Meicyn

Gold Member
If all you eat in a week is a bag of carrots and a carton of eggs thats one thing. But like I said before. Credit cards and any other company trying to sell you product do their best to take the sting out of spending money. They are not your friends, they are here to make you spend your money, your greatest wealth building tool.

Americans owe 1 trillion in credit card debt. Numerous Studys show you spend more. No person with wealth attributes their success to the air miles they have collected.
You’re the one who’s delusional if you think I attribute my financial success to cash back rewards or frequent flyer miles. I’m looking at buying a third house, so please, do enlighten me some more, dude who has no idea how credit score works.

Leveraging credit to my advantage is why I’m about five years away from never having to work again for the rest of my life. Restricting yourself to cash exchanges only and saying credit is bad because most Americans are idiots who can’t control their impulse buying is some boomer bullshit. You’re right, credit card companies are not my friends. That’s why I don’t let them make interest off me. They get their merchant cut from vendors on every transaction, and I get a portion of that in cash back rewards.

If a merchant lets me pay over 12 months interest free, hell yeah I’m taking advantage of it.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Did this kinda deal with a trash can Mac pro. It was so pretty. Took awhile to pay it off. Ended up never using it and gave it to my sister. No ragretz tho

Last edited:

Bogey

Banned
If you don't have enough cash in your pocket to buy those things.. You really, REALLY shouldn't be buying those things!

But people will be people I guess. Why be financial responsible when you could have a shiny new product instead.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I am typing this on a MBP I bought in 2014. It was expensive. But six years later, I use it every day. It still works great, outside of the battery which I was planning to replace before coronavirus. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there are a lot of daily driver Windows laptops from 2014. So I do think, for a long time, Apple was able to charge more because they just had better products.

Windows laptops are typically cheaper than equivalent macs so people upgrade them more often. Less attachment to things if they're cheaper. This whole "I paid through the nose back in 1994 for an apple laptop so it better last me a long while" effect isn't happening on the windows side of things and it is a factor. My xps 15 with equivalent hardware was two thirds of the price of an equivalent macbook.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Windows laptops are typically cheaper than equivalent macs so people upgrade them more often. Less attachment to things if they're cheaper. This whole "I paid through the nose back in 1994 for an apple laptop so it better last me a long while" effect isn't happening on the windows side of things and it is a factor. My xps 15 with equivalent hardware was two thirds of the price of an equivalent macbook.

It's not just the cost that makes people hold onto Apples for longer. In the past, they were more reliable. They had the best touchpad by far. They had the best keyboards by far. The point is, they were the best laptops. I don't think they are anymore.

GHG

Gold Member
I mean I financed my current iPhone with Best Buy for 18 months interest free and paid it off in 9 months. What’s the big deal? Payment plans are great for people who know how to manage their debts. It’s not our problem a lot of you are stupid as fuck.

You took out a loan for a mobile phone and you are here calling other people stupid? Are you for real?

mr.dilya

Banned
You took out a loan for a mobile phone and you are here calling other people stupid? Are you for real?

Why drop a thousand dollars in one shot when I can pay over time with zero interest? Do you know what zero interest means? When I bought my furniture I did the same thing. What about flexible payments is so abhorrent to you? And yes you sound like a fucking idiot.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
Why drop a thousand dollars in one shot when I can pay over time with zero interest? Do you know what zero interest means? When I bought my furniture I did the same thing. What about flexible payments is so abhorrent to you? And yes you sound like a fucking idiot.

Yeh and we should all take financial advice from the person who has to resort to calling other people idiots instead of articulating their views/ideas appropriately. You've definitely convinced me.

If you want to sit in a home full of things that you don't actually own then that's your business, but please don't ever cry for help should the house of cards come crashing down. You're the smart one and everyone else is an idiot, remember that.

And you'd better be buying fucking antiques.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Time value of money dictates that the present value of money is worth more than its future value. So $10 today would be more valuable than $10 in like 10 years because of inflation (& it can start earning interest if you invest it) meaning you can purchase more goods today with that $10 than you would be able to in the next 10 years. Don't know if having 1 year to pay something off makes much of a difference unless its a huge sum of money of course. But having the option to pay something off far into the future with zero interest can be a smart move to make especially if you already have low debt and some assets.

Last edited:

mr.dilya

Banned
Yeh and we should all take financial advice from the person who has to resort to calling other people idiots instead of articulating their views/ideas appropriately. You've definitely convinced me.

If you want to sit in a home full of things that you don't actually own then that's your business, but please don't ever cry for help should the house of cards come crashing down. You're the smart one and everyone else is an idiot, remember that.

And you'd better be buying fucking antiques.

My phone paid off my furniture been paid off. I never paid a lick of interest either, and that applies to whatever items I purchase from retailers if I decide to use one of their cards. That’s how utilizing credit works. I’m not one of these people who run out and get the next new iphone whenever it releases, a phone for me will last 3 years until I’ll think about replacing it. What’s all this about sitting in a home full of things I don’t own? You know this how? Cause I took advantage of a promotion? If you have lots of things you need to buy and you have excellent credit, why wouldn’t you take advantage of that? Making assumptions like that is why I feel comfortable calling you an idiot. You probably a bum too.

mr.dilya

Banned
If you don't have enough cash in your pocket to buy those things.. You really, REALLY shouldn't be buying those things!

But people will be people I guess. Why be financial responsible when you could have a shiny new product instead.

If you have the money and the means to buy things that you want with the luxury of paying it off over the course of a few months instead of plumping down thousands of dollars in one shot, there’s nothing wrong with that and it is in fact the smart way to spend money if there is 0 interest involved.

It isn’t apples responsibility to be a financial advisor to anyone. If someone is dumb enough to think making the minimum payment every month is a smart thing to do that’s on them. And people with shitty credit will get declined for an Apple Card anyway.

Last edited:

mr.dilya

Banned
I’d take interest free payments on a smartphone that receives feature and security updates for 6ish years.

Why buy it outright with 0% financing on offer? That cash isn’t going to earn any worthwhile interest and you’re beating inflation.

Exactly. Idk why this is so hard to understand for some people. This ain’t fuckin rent a center.

GHG

Gold Member
My phone paid off my furniture been paid off. I never paid a lick of interest either, and that applies to whatever items I purchase from retailers if I decide to use one of their cards. That’s how utilizing credit works. I’m not one of these people who run out and get the next new iphone whenever it releases, a phone for me will last 3 years until I’ll think about replacing it. What’s all this about sitting in a home full of things I don’t own? You know this how? Cause I took advantage of a promotion? If you have lots of things you need to buy and you have excellent credit, why wouldn’t you take advantage of that? Making assumptions like that is why I feel comfortable calling you an idiot. You probably a bum too.

*snore*

You're the one buying highly depreciable items on credit, but yet you're in here throwing insults around and calling people bums. Ironic since you're the one who sees perceived value in spreading the cost of things like mobile phones and furniture over several months.

You do you, but the reality is that if you can afford to pay for something in cash in one shot then you absolutely should. Imagine calling people who live by that "stupid/bums/idiots"... I wish you all the luck in the world with that attitude.

Mistake

New phones are just like new cars, there isn't much point unless you really want it and have cash to throw out the window. Not only do they drop in value after purchase, but you're better off buying the last gen or two down which still work. Both my lenovo laptop and iphone 6S I've managed to make last 5 years now

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No interest? Sounds good if you were going to buy it anyway.

But watch out. I'm not going to read all the financing terms, but usually there's an admin charge (furniture places do it all the time). Pay 0% interest but there's an admin charge of $99.

GAMETA

Banned
This is the kinda stuff that happens a lot in Brazil... banks distribute credit cards like candy in halloween and the stupid dude will get them all and consume.

The mofo lives in precarious conditions but has the latest iphone, nike shoes (overly expensive around here), luxury brand glasses, expensive clothing and so on... all bought with credit cards, borrowed or his own, never making it out of the debt, forever poor "but I got cool shit"... money he could use to live in a decent place away from the shitholes and fi d better opportunities, invest to gain some dignity over time but nah, you can't wear your house and work to the club, can you?

Stupid motherfuckers.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is the kinda stuff that happens a lot in Brazil... banks distribute credit cards like candy in halloween and the stupid dude will get them all and consume.
25 years ago, one of bros must had used his dog's name for something. Back then there was no internet either, so he must have entered a contest or something stupid and used his dog's name as another entry.

He got a credit card application in the mail addressed to the dog.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It's not just the cost that makes people hold onto Apples for longer. In the past, they were more reliable. They had the best touchpad by far. They had the best keyboards by far. The point is, they were the best laptops. I don't think they are anymore.

In a world where thinkpads exist? Step outside the apple echo chamber please.

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
I don't care about the interest rate I need the brand new golden 512GB iPhone 12X MAX Plus Pro with 5 cameras so I can take pictures of my Starbucks sugarmixx I need to...

oh...

I need to...

CONSOOOOOOOOM.

Oh yeah.

mr.dilya

Banned
*snore*

You're the one buying highly depreciable items on credit, but yet you're in here throwing insults around and calling people bums. Ironic since you're the one who sees perceived value in spreading the cost of things like mobile phones and furniture over several months.

You do you, but the reality is that if you can afford to pay for something in cash in one shot then you absolutely should. Imagine calling people who live by that "stupid/bums/idiots"... I wish you all the luck in the world with that attitude.

I buy things I want, and some of them happen to be on credit, if it is there is no interest involved. I furnished 2 rooms and spent a little over 5k. They gave me 3 years, 0% apr. The interest saving monthly payment on that is about $140 a month. I set up my automatic payments to $300 a month and didn’t even feel it and before I knew it my furniture was paid off. Again, not a penny of interest.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with spreading large purchases out over several months if you are fully capable of making the payments on time.

Utilizing credit properly for everyday purchases is important when you need to take out a loan for a big purchase down the line such as a home or automobile.

The people I am calling idiots are those who are purchasing an iPhone on credit and making the minimum monthly payment and end up paying 30% more it. Not everyone is that stupid.

Last edited:

Amory

if it's interest free, that's not that bad i guess. nice to have the option.

morons will use this as an excuse to buy more apple shit than they need, but they're probably doing that anyway with their regular credit card

iconmaster

Banned
I feel like Apple Card was a turning point for the company. There was a time, under Jobs, when they were a company worth being a fan of. Under Cook their products have not exactly declined in quality (you could make an argument regarding software QA), but somewhere the needle shifted a little more toward the profit side, and Apple Card is the fruition of that shift.

Saddling your best customers with debt to boost revenue is dirty.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Apple tries to tackle life issues (tech in schools, smart phones etc.) obviously students will get this.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I feel like Apple Card was a turning point for the company. There was a time, under Jobs, when they were a company worth being a fan of. Under Cook their products have not exactly declined in quality (you could make an argument regarding software QA), but somewhere the needle shifted a little more toward the profit side, and Apple Card is the fruition of that shift.

Saddling your best customers with debt to boost revenue is dirty.

Totally agree. Maybe someone will point me to something Jobs did or said about this, but the Apple Card just doesn’t feel like it is from the Apple I came to respect over the years.

Not to mention the $400 wheels for the Mac Pro that don’t even lock.

Last edited:

kingwingin

You’re the one who’s delusional if you think I attribute my financial success to cash back rewards or frequent flyer miles. I’m looking at buying a third house, so please, do enlighten me some more, dude who has no idea how credit score works.

Leveraging credit to my advantage is why I’m about five years away from never having to work again for the rest of my life. Restricting yourself to cash exchanges only and saying credit is bad because most Americans are idiots who can’t control their impulse buying is some boomer bullshit. You’re right, credit card companies are not my friends. That’s why I don’t let them make interest off me. They get their merchant cut from vendors on every transaction, and I get a portion of that in cash back rewards.

If a merchant lets me pay over 12 months interest free, hell yeah I’m taking advantage of it.
Like I already said its not just about interest. Company's like walmart put out their own credit card because its been proven that it pushes you to spend more. Those 12 interest free payments are a way to mask the cost of a product.

You may think you are 100% in control but at some point in your life you stood in line at a checkout with your bag of carrots and impulse bought a chocolate bar that was staring back at you on the candy rack. That is what these companys are doing to you but on a greater scale.

We are all human and we want our toys, we want things that make us happy. But just go into a transaction picturing yourself laying those $100 bills on a table. Do that and the older model cell phone starts looking better. That matching loveseat? doesn't seem as necessary.

You do you, but don't try to frame credit cards as a wealth building tool, they are building wealth on us.

mr.dilya

Banned
Like I already said its not just about interest. Company's like walmart put out their own credit card because its been proven that it pushes you to spend more. Those 12 interest free payments are a way to mask the cost of a product.

You may think you are 100% in control but at some point in your life you stood in line at a checkout with your bag of carrots and impulse bought a chocolate bar that was staring back at you on the candy rack. That is what these companys are doing to you but on a greater scale.

We are all human and we want our toys, we want things that make us happy. But just go into a transaction picturing yourself laying those $100 bills on a table. Do that and the older model cell phone starts looking better. That matching loveseat? doesn't seem as necessary.

You do you, but don't try to frame credit cards as a wealth building tool, they are building wealth on us.

Yes some of us are 100% in control. And of course I'll buy more of what I want or need if I can stretch my payments out over a time period that's convenient for me. That's the reward people get for managing their finances properly. This isn't rocket science. People who recklessly run up debts on their credit cards end up in a hole will get DECLINED for attractive promotional financing offers.

When a company advertises 0% apr with their credit card, it means THEY will pay the bank the interest on your purchase for the promotional period. It's 0% interest for YOU, and if you still have a balance at the end of that period, well...you gotta pay up. That's business buddy.

Top Bottom