• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are audiophiles full of it or have I just been spoiled by halfway decent gear?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Watching He Walked By Night GIF by Turner Classic Movies

The most important thing about sound is the source. And im not talking about the quality of the file, im talking about the mastering.

I have a certain 128kb MP3 of a David Bowie song that sounds like heaven. Every instrument super clear and a lot of depth. And a lot of FLAC songs that sound like shit, like some original masterings of thrash metal bands such as Slayer.

Doesn't matter how good my speakers and equippement is, shit mastering always sounds like shit and you can do too little by messing with sound settings and equalizers.
David Bowie and Slayer in the same paragraph.

You, sir, have good musical taste.

Mohonky

You don't find the MDR-1R's to have a
Midrange recession with an odd sound signature and a tonal balance that is forward in the upper-mids with odd unevenness throughout and which is slightly v-shaped?
They may do but I find them easy to listen to and like the sound.

Thats the thing, everyone finds they like certain speakers / headphones and their sound signature and unless you listen to them back to back to back its impossible to actually tell

Mohonky

They're full of it.

Good headphones have low and high frequency response and 50mm or above drivers. Those Audio Technica studio headphones are garbage. I use to see them instantly in threads like this. What happened?

Gaming headsets are garbage.

Last edited:
I'm into audio gear but I'm a tight ass and I take return of investment seriously. For example, the Sennheiser HD560 vs the HD600. Yeah the HD600 sounds better but more than $200 better? Not for me because I only heard about 10% - 15% better. However, i upgraded my crappy subwoofer to the budget friendly Dayton 1200. What I thought was good enough on the shit subwoofer I had, the Dayton made a fucking huge difference. I wonder what a SVS sub would sound like but i'm not about to spend $500 on a sub to find out. So it all depends. I think most people really never heard of really good sounding system before, or they have but the interest isn't there as much as other people who are.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I've barely dipped my toe into the audiophile world, but I've done a metric shitton of research on the topic (still not an expert of course).

From what I've gathered, although there is a ton of snake oil in the audiophile world, there is a massive difference between something like a pair of Sennheiser HD 600s and Beats or Bose at the same price. It seems like anything over $500 (for headphones) has MASSIVE diminishing returns, but up to that point there are some great brands that absolutely provide a better experience with more clarity, separation, larger sound stage, and significantly better and less muddy bass than Beats for example.

My daily drivers are the tried and true Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros (80 OHM) and while they're less than $200, they're WAY better than headphones I've spent more on in the past. A few years ago, I bought a pair of KZ ZS10 Pros for my phone and although they're only $50, they absolutely MURDER any $400 pair of BT headphones I've ever used (they're wired, but you get what I mean).

There's a lot of bullshit in this community, but there's also a great sweetspot where a little money can go a long way if you do your research. After that though, and it's a black hole of nonsense.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I just replaced my Sony MDR-1R (since everyone seems to be talking about them) to Sony MDR-1AM2 and am quite please with them. I use them with a Sony UDA-1 connected to a M1 Mac Mini with Apple Music Lossless Hi-Res. Basically I listen to when I'm working.

If not my main home theather system is composed of all Sony (brand OCD) Z8H TV paired to a STR-ZA1100ES with Hi-Res speakers in a 5.2.2 setup. I have extra speakers for a future receiver with more channels. My main SACD/DSD player is a BDP-X800M2 and LP player is a PS-HX500. It's more than good enough for my needs.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Yeah but doesn't vinyl have less tonal range than a CD?

When I was into records I dropped too much money on gear trying to add clarity... yknow pops hisses... things unique to turntables

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
What you are describing is an audio snob. Theres a difference!

But audio to a certain extent is different from person to person.

Wildebeest

have a certain 128kb MP3 of a David Bowie song that sounds like heaven. Every instrument super clear and a lot of depth. And a lot of FLAC songs that sound like shit, like some original masterings of thrash metal bands such as Slayer.
To me an audiophile is the sort of cove who argues for 320kps MP3 as a great file format because a magazine audio test said that it sounded great. MP3 is a format that was awful when it launched. If you want lossy compression, for some reason, at least use opus or something and don't use some crazy high bitrate, way over the case use for the format, as pure copium.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

When I was into records I dropped too much money on gear trying to add clarity... yknow pops hisses... things unique to turntables
It does. It is not a superior format. Often, however, the vinyl versions are mastered way better. It all depends though. More and more it seems to me that the Spotify versions are getting pressed instead of a less compressed version on more recent releases.

The loudness wars website can be a handy guide on actual dynamic range of various releases. Here’s an example of Around the Fur by Deftones:
KFVpPvQ.jpg

CD (SACD more accurately)is the best format if you just take into consideration sonic limitations. The best mixes take into consideration those limitations. Format matters far, far less than quality of recording, mixing, & mastering.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister

Yes it does. For me it's the relaxing feeling of listening to a song. It's soothihg.

lukilladog

A considerable number of them yeah, their bias makes them hear things that they cannot possibly hear. The human hearing is a primitive evolutive device (previously reptilian jaw bones mainly), and cognitive bias is a strong bitch. Personally, I tried lots of stuff but after couple of blind tests, I sold the more expensive stuff years ago, shame on me. Although I feel liberated and satisfied now.

Yeah from what I know, it really matters on who mastered it. I think that's why Analog Productions and MOFI are becoming the biggest labels to remastering for vinyl and SACD's.

I personally been getting DSD a DSF files. Only drawback is they are fucking huge files and taking up my HD space fast!

it's a load of rubbish beyond a certain point. most people listen to streaming music today and that's good enough. if you listen with wireless earphones/headphones you can't actually experience the full quality of streaming due to limitations of bluetooth. with wired headphones or speakers it's easy (for me at least) to tell the difference between the audio quality. for example, the difference between premium spotify (320kb/s) and apple music (256kb/s) is very noticeable. higher doesn't always mean better due to encoding. i actually prefer Apple Music quality to Spotify. Spotify at low volumes is muddy but shines at higher volumes and even then it's not as clear as Apple Music. AM sounds better at low volumes and when you turn it up it's more "crisp" and "clear". there's more punch to it when it comes to bass. lossless streaming is (forgive the pun) lost on most people because to really get the most of it you need a good wired headphones, a receiver/DAC, powered speakers.

if you really enjoy music and want better quality you can go with lossless streaming and/or spend extra for CDs/Vinyl with a good set of speakers/headphones with external soundcard/dac/speakers. There is definitely a difference to be experienced but honestly i don't think it's worth spending too much. i mean sure go get a £300 set of speakers, a £150 sound card/DAC, £250 headphones, £200 turntable....it will sound better. i know that sounds a lot but have you actually seen the price of the equipment audiophiles pay for? i'm talking <£2,000 for a DAC. £3,000-5,000 for speakers. £500-1,500 for a turntable. and ~£1,300 for earphones/headphones. lol. at that point it's a total rip off. it becomes a snobfest, a dick measuring contest, and desperation to justify the money spent.

Last edited:
I've barely dipped my toe into the audiophile world, but I've done a metric shitton of research on the topic (still not an expert of course).

From what I've gathered, although there is a ton of snake oil in the audiophile world, there is a massive difference between something like a pair of Sennheiser HD 600s and Beats or Bose at the same price. It seems like anything over $500 (for headphones) has MASSIVE diminishing returns, but up to that point there are some great brands that absolutely provide a better experience with more clarity, separation, larger sound stage, and significantly better and less muddy bass than Beats for example.

My daily drivers are the tried and true Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros (80 OHM) and while they're less than $200, they're WAY better than headphones I've spent more on in the past. A few years ago, I bought a pair of KZ ZS10 Pros for my phone and although they're only $50, they absolutely MURDER any $400 pair of BT headphones I've ever used (they're wired, but you get what I mean).

There's a lot of bullshit in this community, but there's also a great sweetspot where a little money can go a long way if you do your research. After that though, and it's a black hole of nonsense.

My daily driver as well! They are fucking awesome especially with an amp since their sensitivity is pretty low.

I thought about getting the same KZ's, but I got the Moondrop Aria and holy shit!

BossLackey

Gold Member
My daily driver as well! They are fucking awesome especially with an amp since their sensitivity is pretty low.

I thought about getting the same KZ's, but I got the Moondrop Aria and holy shit!
I've heard good things! I'd love something from Moondrop eventually!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Audiophiles are legit but the gear nowadays is absolutely great.
I happily retired my champion combo fiio e10k and koss porta pro for pulse 3d. Wireless, no hiss, no lag, amazing sound. I am really impressed. Wide, spacious, no early 2010s gamer bass. Just right.
All that for 100.
That said - I previously adored Koss Porta Pro over many times more expensive headphones. I still think it's a king of comfort and some aspects of sound. But I just couldn't be arsed with cables anymore.

Hell. I even sold my presonus e3.5 speakers since lg c1 sounds very close... in cinema mode and with ai crap disabled of course... and up to certain small volume. But I had no more room or presonus sadly

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
If I could afford it, I'd would buy the necessary equipment for great sound.

Lol, 2nd guy has jazz at the pawnshop. Classic.

Most audiophile gear used to be horrible: distortion, noisy, etc. Yes, even the expesive ones! Wadia used to ship dacs that didn't even meet the 70s hifi specification.

Tips for good sound: the room you are in, matters more than all your gear - so either you get into digital room correction, or you better start redecorating. Second: speakers, speakers, speakers - as long as you have enough wattage to drive your loudspeakers (and your amp isnt a noisy, distorting pos) spend most of your money on speakers.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Why is there a headphone craze the last 5 years? Everyone is protecting apple and their EarPods, Dre and his beats. Protect your damn ears from high volumes.

Top Bottom