• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are certain human languages more efficient than others for conveying certain types of information?

Swearing in English seems to be big with quite a lot of people around the planet, including many living in places where English isn't the primary language.
Fuck, Shit, Asshole, Bitch, Damn, and Goddamn are all very satisfying to say tbh,

How can you omit the single most satisfying and enjoyable word to say and hear....???

Plus, it's Australia's favorite...

Cunt

NinjaBoiX

I remember an article some years back that hypothesized that successful languages were successful because of their ability not to effectively communicate, but to be effectively understood. For example, English has lots of words that add easily inferable context. "Its", "is", "of", "from", etc. In fact, these words make up huge chunks of the written and spoken text. However, what they appear to also do is slow down the rate that information is communicated, making it easier for the person being communicated to to actually breakdown and process what's being communicated. It would stand to reason that some languages are therefore easier understood when written, others when spoken. Whether or not categorical differences exist - such as, communicating mathetics in English is the best or worst way vs French, for example - I'm not sure. Any reading on the topic?
Oh wow, that’s really interesting and makes a lot of sense.

Calls into question how important inflection is in any given language, presumably less and less as the vocabulary broadens?

It’s incredible how the tone of an English sentence can change based on the use of punctuation. I really dislike the recent trend of just dumping all the words down with zero punctuation, forcing the reader to parse the intent.

Top Bottom