• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are hipsters still a thing in 2021? Are skinny jeans finally dead? I'm still a hipster aren't I?

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Even though you wrote about jeans I think your post is really about perspective. You grew up and realized that happiness doesn’t come from the affirmation of others.

Also I don’t know anything about normcore but I know a lot about clothes. Plain tshirts and jeans are just normal masculine clothes. You have a ton of places you can go with that and a lot of ways to dress it up.

deafmedal

numerous tattoos (I have 7 total... am planning for an 8th soon)
Haaahaaahaa haahhhaa haha. Oh wait, you're serious?! No friend, that's not numerous. I consider myself moderately ink'd- pretty much the only areas I don't have ink are my face/neck, hands, feet and shorts area. Keep pumping those numbers though my white (?) trash bredren!
the more a cowboy hat looks attractive
Not gonna lie, I've been considering a cowboy hat for some time. We've been watching Deadwood (again...) recently and Bollock has a flame ass hat in the movie that I absolutely love, flat brimmed number that reminded me of one of my fav Arthur Morgan hats. Can't seemed to break away from 5950s though.

I've always wore loose or baggy jeans including a JNCO phase during those heights. About a decade ago I switched to 569s and recently switched to a similar cut from a 100% American brand and decided to try out a boot cut and I surprisingly love them. They are tighter than I am used but once stretched a bit they are very comfy and probably more age appropriate (like I give a fuck about that or "style"). Still can't be assed to tuck in my outer shirt except in interviews, I personally find t-shirts tucked in to look absolutely ridiculous.

Still don't understand how the skinny jean phase exploded, how in the hell is shit like that comfy on the sack?!

Kev Kev

You guys make me feel so at peace, I swear.

Thank you. I've got a lot to learn about life. Shit can be overwhelming. Unlike Kev Kev Kev Kev I'm actively doing what I can to minimize things and stay focused.
sexy flirty GIF

teezzy

Banned
Back in the day, man, I swear there was nothing cooler than wearing this type of shit. It was the pinnacle of society

jnco-jean-comeback-tout.jpg

jkuRMjnhhqjpKcRsA0gUi2q9zBnbOpA9LkVnirArsALJ10gZ-jMyAiJob6LZaSP6kQ5u23nWrGRN238mDtQK2iwvQzYcYgnKwE-3jPHIsoPiww-K

Kimahri

Banned
Transtrenders are the new hipsters
This is more true than most realize. It's just the latest fad, and it'll die away like all trends do. Some will remain, and in a decade or so there will be a generation of ultra traditionalist youth growing up distancing themselves from their non binary parents and embracing their born sex and more traditional gender roles.

I'm willing to stake money on it.

Rillania

Gold Member
Back in the day, man, I swear there was nothing cooler than wearing this type of shit. It was the pinnacle of society

jnco-jean-comeback-tout.jpg

jkuRMjnhhqjpKcRsA0gUi2q9zBnbOpA9LkVnirArsALJ10gZ-jMyAiJob6LZaSP6kQ5u23nWrGRN238mDtQK2iwvQzYcYgnKwE-3jPHIsoPiww-K

Oh man, the hot topic pants were my jam back in the day. Sometimes I kind of miss those insane pants that would clang and jingle every time you walked and tore up washing machines and dryers. Pockets were perfect for sneaking snacks into classes and movie theaters lol.

I was in the goth / emo scene all through middle school and high school.

notseqi

Maybe I should stick to chinos.
Love me some chinos. Think I have one jeans pair left but it's baggy and I only use it for dirty work, definitely on the way out.

Bought a bunch of tapered pants with the elastic at the ankle, prolly the most comfortable shit I can wear in a work setting.
Enough space for nuts n bolt, muscular legs and the odd phone.
Give them a whirl if you haven't, they're like 20-25 bucks on amazon. Ordered 2 pair as a slightly more elegant sweat pant but they're really not bad for wearing outside.

L4B1K1I.jpg

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Love me some chinos. Think I have one jeans pair left but it's baggy and I only use it for dirty work, definitely on the way out.

Bought a bunch of tapered pants with the elastic at the ankle, prolly the most comfortable shit I can wear in a work setting.
Enough space for nuts n bolt, muscular legs and the odd phone.
Give them a whirl if you haven't, they're like 20-25 bucks on amazon. Ordered 2 pair as a slightly more elegant sweat pant but they're really not bad for wearing outside.

L4B1K1I.jpg

Those kinda look like gym pants with the zippers at the bottom. :messenger_fearful:

-Minsc-

I was never a hipster, just a dork.

It's cool to dress like a dad apparently. The kids call it 'workwear' which translates to them pretending to adopt a blue collar aesthetic as a last grasp of modern masculinity. Meanwhile, I'm just your average Midwestern Joe entering his 30s next month. I've made a solid effort to leave all my pretentious hip ideals behind me, and somehow the culture has adapted my current and turned it cool.

I went out to the kitchen, grabbed some chips and started stress eating when I read this. Is this the reason pre-ripped jeans are a fashion thing?

I saw a hilarious webcomic about this sort of thing, wish I would have saved it. What it depicted was a very strange, but obviously liberal couple crying while their son announces "I'm straight, me and Sally are getting married and starting a business."
It's funny because it's going to be true.

Edit:

My jeans are thrift store jeans, on sale half price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom