• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are the current expectations for Starfield too high for it to reach?

Are current expectations for Starfield too high for it to reach?

• Yes

Votes: 182 60.5%
  • No

Votes: 119 39.5%

• Total voters
Starfield has been a headlining game for Xbox for a long time now, possibly the most anticipated release ever. The reactions to the delay(s) were not warm to say the least but the promises of a more polished game and a title that will be a "system seller" for Xbox Series consoles created hype that still goes on now.

But I am wondering if the expectations for Starfield have become too high. We haven't gotten a more recent demo video of the game fully polished up but the reaction to the last demonstrations were mixed mostly because of the hype and high expectations people had for the game, but if that was dialed down it would have likely been seen as an adequate still in development demo imo.

But people are expecting this to be much more grand than it will be, given that they have admitted Starfield will have some rng generated planets and such. The game is expected to push the Xbox Series hardware and graphics be one of the best rpgs since Skyrim, sell systems, and score incredibly high in reviews. I believe these high expectations have only been made worse with the early 2023 release date window which is now right around the corner, and the say, modest 2022 that Xbox has had this year.

I think the game may be impacted in sales, mindshare, and review score because of just how much people are putting this game on a pedestal as a mega popular and highly rated new Bethesda IP, and as the savior of the Xbox Series consoles, despite 2022 showing they (at least for now) don't need saving.

I'm wondering if people will see a great game, but were expecting so much more based on the hype, supposed leaks, and delay waits, that people may be harsh on the game because the expectations will be sky high right into space.

Are current expectations for Starfield in your opinion, to high for it to reach?

begotten

Hopefully a next gen BGS game has a new engine and no out of touch Todd Howard. Until then I can't take BGS seriously. If they also want some bonus points just give Fallout to Obsidian.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
MS engineers are working with Bethesda as we speak. So, expect impeccable performance
smirk drinking GIF

If it's able to capture the sense of wonder, exploration, and escapism that Skyrim evoked 11 years ago but simply in a sci-fi setting, then quality wise the expectations should be met easily. Seeing as how Microsoft is giving Bethesda all the time they need to polish the experience as much as possible, and the scope of the project being larger than any Todd Howard led game before, the potential and ingredients for success are all there.

Catphish

It'll be a typical Bethesda bug-ridden shitshow until about a year after launch. A year after that, modders will have made it a better game than its developers could ever have done.

I'd love to be wrong. I hope I am. I'd love a functional product from Bethesda at launch.

But I've seen enough over the years to know that they can release whatever bugfest they want and, for some reason unfathomable to me, people will line the fuck up to buy it, regardless of its state.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It'll be a typical Bethesda bug-ridden shitshow until about a year after launch. A year after that, modders will have made it a better game than its developers could ever have done.

I'd love to be wrong. I hope I am. I'd love a functional product from Bethesda at launch.

But I've seen enough over the years to know that they can release whatever bugfest they want and, for some reason unfathomable to me, people will line the fuck up to buy it, regardless of its state.
Crazy how modders fix up so much stuff. No wonder Bethesda fully supports their RPGs to be modded. If the employees cant do it, the gamer base will.

Chukhopops

It’s going to be a timeless classic that people will play for the next 7-8 years or more. Only question is whether it will be incredible straight out of the box or after a couple of mods.

When it comes to open world RPGs, the competition hasn’t even caught up to Oblivion, let alone Skyrim.

feynoob

Banned

Bethesda allows you to play their games however you want.
People like that type of freedom.
Here is some old funny mods.

Saber

Gold Member
One thing for sure is that will be game infested with a massive amount of bugs/glitches and that mods will probably save/fix the game.

T4keD0wN

You are the only one who can manage your own expecations, if it fails to meet the unrealistic expectations that you set by yourself you have mainly yourself to blame. Unless they falsely advertise like cyberpunk did.
I wouldnt expect 60fps on Series X btw.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Obviously, the expectations are high. Especially after being delayed from 2022.

vj27

Banned
Haven’t really even seen that much for people to expect that much. Like ofc people are hyped for its it’s Bethesda but, there’s still so much we don’t know about the game. The next reveal will show if it’s to high or not hype wise.

I don’t think so, it’s not doing anything considerably ambitious but looks great. The thousand planet thing is something yet to be seen and I’m sure it will be limited.

begotten

It will be like No Man's Sky launch all over again.

I actually think this will be their most stable launch in a long time. I just don't think the game will be great.

It'll feel dated in a time where people are expecting next generation games and that's where the flaws will shine.

This is why they need to evolve past their current tech.

Catphish

Bethesda allows you to play their games however you want.
People like that type of freedom.
Yeah, I get that much. I like their games, too, for that reason. What I don't understand is why they get a pass for releasing buggy shit.

After Skyrim and the last couple of Fallouts, I wouldn't even remotely consider buying a Bethesda game at launch. I would wait 3-6 months minimum, unless word of mouth was unanimous in its praise.

As long as I can have Macho Man Randy Savage with me on my spaceship to explore various planets full of let's say voluptuous female space vampires I'm content.

feynoob

Banned
Yeah, I get that much. I like their games, too, for that reason. What I don't understand is why they get a pass for releasing buggy shit.

After Skyrim and the last couple of Fallouts, I wouldn't even remotely consider buying a Bethesda game at launch. I would wait 3-6 months minimum, unless word of mouth was unanimous in its praise.
As long as the content exist, bugs are fine.
That is why bethesda gets the pass.
Cyberpunk2077 was missing tons of feature. While Skyrim with bugs had insane content, new magic system and cool things that you can do in the game.

Gamers wont get that pissed, unless you undercut the game's content.

ungalo

The game won't push Xbox Series very far. It's a fake new gen game, not specifically made for the new consoles. Just like the last Bethesda games or like what EA is doing right now with NFS, Dead Space or Star Wars, they just wanted to not be completely shackled by the obligation to deliver something that runs ok on the old hardware, it was probably too much pressure on the dev at that point.

Besides that, Starfield wasn't made to save Xbox either. Bethesda is already saving Microsoft ass with the release of two major titles. It was an opportunity for Microsoft to have its biggest killer app for a very long time. And i'm sure on a production level Starfield will be way ahead of everything Microsoft have released for 10 years. That's already a given, nothing to worry about on that front.

Of course if people expect things that have nothing to do with Bethesda games that's on them. But i think most people are realistic. We've already seen what the game looks like, what it's about, and people were not particularly impressed (i think from what i have seen). In fact among my 3 big expectations for 2023 that are Starfield, Zelda and Final Fantasy, Starfield is probably the least mysterious right now.

Last edited:

Nemesisuuu

I don't have any expectations, so no.

For other people I can't say, but it just seems like disappointment is inevitable for those who are hyping the game up.

feynoob

Banned
And that's the part I don't understand.

To me, they are not fine.

A few, yeah they're expected and forgivable. But Bethesda, and their customers, seem to revel in them. Like it's some kind of endearing trait.

It's bullshit.
Gamers have gold fish memory.
They say one thing, while doing the opposite.
The only saving for bethesda is their games are exactly what gamers want.

Top Bottom