• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are the current expectations for Starfield too high for it to reach?

Are current expectations for Starfield too high for it to reach?

• Yes

Votes: 182 60.5%
  • No

Votes: 119 39.5%

• Total voters

anthony2690

Banned
obiviously yes

I wonder why big companies dont work in total secrecy and then release the material when its done

no pressure, no expectations, huge impact (like PT, matrix demo etc)
Apex Legends did this and blew up.

It means people will most likely try the game out and get good word of mouth before jumping on a potential hate train (ie: look what they have done to Titanfall etc)

It was a smart move from EA/Respawn.

Like every post-Morrowind Bethsoft game, it will be janky as hell and its reviews will depend on whether the story is good enough to distract the reviewers from said jank.

recursive

Starfield has been a headlining game for Xbox for a long time now, possibly the most anticipated release ever. The reactions to the delay(s) were not warm to say the least but the promises of a more polished game and a title that will be a "system seller" for Xbox Series consoles created hype that still goes on now.

But I am wondering if the expectations for Starfield have become too high. We haven't gotten a more recent demo video of the game fully polished up but the reaction to the last demonstrations were mixed mostly because of the hype and high expectations people had for the game, but if that was dialed down it would have likely been seen as an adequate still in development demo imo.

But people are expecting this to be much more grand than it will be, given that they have admitted Starfield will have some rng generated planets and such. The game is expected to push the Xbox Series hardware and graphics be one of the best rpgs since Skyrim, sell systems, and score incredibly high in reviews. I believe these high expectations have only been made worse with the early 2023 release date window which is now right around the corner, and the say, modest 2022 that Xbox has had this year.

I think the game may be impacted in sales, mindshare, and review score because of just how much people are putting this game on a pedestal as a mega popular and highly rated new Bethesda IP, and as the savior of the Xbox Series consoles, despite 2022 showing they (at least for now) don't need saving.

I'm wondering if people will see a great game, but were expecting so much more based on the hype, supposed leaks, and delay waits, that people may be harsh on the game because the expectations will be sky high right into space.

Are current expectations for Starfield in your opinion, to high for it to reach?
I am going to enjoy this game on my PC. Not really interested in playing it on my Xbox Series X. I am sure it will have all the Bethesda jank I am used to but I will enjoy it.

odhiex

I like the Space exploration theme, but I honestly don't play much of Bethesda's RPGs.

I've tried ES Oblivion and Fallout 3 in a couple hours, did not got too far in any of them.

gothmog

Gold Member
I seems the majority with that opinion are people that will be unable to play Starfield on their preferred plastic box.
Or they just think the delay means really bad things. FO76 was really bad for quite some time. I still haven't went back much because every time I start a new game I'm reminded just how bad it was at launch. They don't get the benefit of the doubt because of that little fiasco.

FBeeEye

Banned
The gameplay video was atrocious. Awful gunplay, shit animations, shit AI, shit graphics. Music was alright. The video gave you no clue at all why we were at the base and shooting pirates...To pick up a gun in a case locked with a puzzle a 5 year old could solve? If it's a massive spawling space faring adventure then take us through a single mission.

This will be a disaster unless basked in the oven for at least another 2 years.
Yes, but how do you really feel about the game.

no one is expecting 4k60 on xbox.
the problem is todd saying, they are focusing on graphics fidelity at 30fps.

if they release this without a 60fps mode, they better get ready for some big time backlash.
especially with all those fps gameplay

Forza team had people expecting 4K60 as the norm standard for Xbox games based on the promises they made and are still sticking by.

I don't know what to tell anyone who is legitimately excited about this game. Bethesda has been on a downwards trajectory overall, their engine is an absolute disaster, and they refuse to improve their basic gameplay mechanics in any way.

Disagree. The problem with No Man's Sky in the beginning was Sean Murray doing a ton of interviews way over promising what was in the game at launch. Expectations were sky high because of that.

awkward hey arnold GIF

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
There will be a lot to pick at like most Bethesda games but I'll definitely be buying the crud out of it.

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

GenericUser

I just want elder scrolls in space (with guns). I think the game will deliver.
A friend of mine came up with a crazy idea the other day: what if there is an elder scrolls themed planet hidden in the game, or something fallout related. Wouldn't that be neat?

Fredrik

I just want elder scrolls in space (with guns). I think the game will deliver.
A friend of mine came up with a crazy idea the other day: what if there is an elder scrolls themed planet hidden in the game, or something fallout related. Wouldn't that be neat?
An astronaut on an Elder Scrolls planet wouldn’t make much sense unless the character and story and UI and all your gear etc are modded into TES as well. But I definitely think we’ll see postapocalyptic Fallout-like planets, and modders are totally going to go full on H.R. Giger somewhere on some far away planet. And as with No Man’s Sky, if I do find a particularly hostile planet then I’ll most definitely have a base there so I can sit in a couch and sip a cup of tea while looking out a big window on nasty alien creatures crawling about.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Its a Bethesda game.
Jank or no, people are gonna be in that universe forever and it will effectively pay for itself twice when you consider the amount of time youll put into it.

Isnt Skyrim still one of the most played games out there.

VinnyMac

Simple answer yes... it's simply getting so much hype because it's literally all xbox has to look forward too. I feel like it's gonna be a cyberpunk situation. I hope I'm wrong the game doesn't appeal to me whatsoever but for fans of the genre I hope I am wrong.

Forza team had people expecting 4K60 as the norm standard for Xbox games based on the promises they made and are still sticking by.
I hope they get DESTROYED BY backlash. No excuses for this to be only 30 fps! That would be pathetic on hardware as powerful as a SX. It's not like this is pushing any graphical limits. Far from it! Bethesda's gunplay is so bad and stiff that this absolutely will need 60 to feel any good to play.

But of course TODD is focusing on 4k/30.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Or they just think the delay means really bad things. FO76 was really bad for quite some time. I still haven't went back much because every time I start a new game I'm reminded just how bad it was at launch. They don't get the benefit of the doubt because of that little fiasco.

I keep seeing people type this. You all do know fallout 76 was not made by the same team right?

This team is the fallout and skyrim team. Not the B studio that made fallout 76.

Warablo

dont you want them to do better? Their games always looks dated and the animations are just as bad. It doesnt mean the game is bad, but personally i'd like them to make huge improvements in these areas especially with this game since its only on 2 platforms.
I think a lot people would like them to do better, but if they completely change engines it might not even function or feel like a Bethesda RPG anymore. With all the NPC's, building and physical placed items everywhere that can be picked up and manipulated. Think it would take them a long time to revamp a brand new engine that meets their standards.

Last edited:
I’ve no doubt it’ll be a big, impressive game in terms of questing and overall narrative, but technologically speaking it’ll launch behind the curve in many ways. For example, going from the excellently animated NPC conversations in Horizon Forbidden West to any other game that has NPC conversations like that will feel rough.
The scale of Starfield will be what is impressive, but I’m not expecting much else to be.
I’m hoping the delay has given the development team a chance to remove or mitigate the traditional Bethesda Jank.

For me I’ve enjoyed each of their RPGs less than the prior one in each series, so something fresh could captivate me again.

damidu

I’ve no doubt it’ll be a big, impressive game in terms of questing and overall narrative, but technologically speaking it’ll launch behind the curve in many ways. For example, going from the excellently animated NPC conversations in Horizon Forbidden West to any other game that has NPC conversations like that will feel rough.
The scale of Starfield will be what is impressive, but I’m not expecting much else to be.
I’m hoping the delay has given the development team a chance to remove or mitigate the traditional Bethesda Jank.

For me I’ve enjoyed each of their RPGs less than the prior one in each series, so something fresh could captivate me again.
yeah that old “zoom to the nose of low quality character model” conversation shots and robotic animations all around were the reality checks for my expectations.

its a bethesda game on same old clunky engine. ill take it as it is, but needs 60fps on console.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I have high hopes that it will be better than 99 percent of the games released in 2022 or in recent years, even.

Can't really complain at that.

Arsic

This game isn’t cyberpunk 2077 level of overblown second coming of pixel Jesus hype.

Everywhere I read people are expecting a buggy launch game that is fallout in space.

So a 7/10 game but it’ll be a 9/10 due to reviewers being amazed you can poop out of your space ship into space.

sachos

After rewatching the gameplay reveal trailer graphics actually look a bit better than i remembered, my only problems with it is that they still have that "videogamey" look on their NPCs and player character, the gameplay looks a little bit clunky and the performance could be better, i think the lack of motion blur makes the 30fps look worse no?

damidu

After rewatching the gameplay reveal trailer graphics actually look a bit better than i remembered, my only problems with it is that they still have that "videogamey" look on their NPCs and player character, the gameplay looks a little bit clunky and the performance could be better, i think the lack of motion blur makes the 30fps look worse no?
pretty sure most of that video was falling lower than 30 from what i remember.
which is perfectly normal this far off from release.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
The static nature of those "cardboard trees" were rough.

I hope they get DESTROYED BY backlash. No excuses for this to be only 30 fps! That would be pathetic on hardware as powerful as a SX. It's not like this is pushing any graphical limits. Far from it! Bethesda's gunplay is so bad and stiff that this absolutely will need 60 to feel any good to play.

But of course TODD is focusing on 4k/30.

We don't know what the FPS will be yet, we haven't seen a recent build of SF.

Top Bottom