• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there legitimate games on PC that look better than demons souls?

CAB_Life

Ashes of Creation looks leagues beyond DS on both a technical and artistic level and it's an open world MMORPG. Stop sniffing Jimbo's farts and come up for a breath of reality.

Consoles are a great performance to price bundle but they don't hold a candle to any modern game running on a top-end rig.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
GOW 5 easily looks better than DS remake on XsX and PC. thats at default 60 FPS as well with more characters on screen.

gears-5-xbox-series-x-the-coalition.jpg

diffusionx

Gold Member
nah console games like TLOU2 and the NEW GOW .. They may not 60 fps.. But they blow away most pc games in looks
What are the specs on your PC and what games are you playing on it? I have not played TLOU2 but compared to a AAA game running on a high end PC, God of War was a pretty pedestrian looking game. It has nice art but you can see the limitations of the hardware, same with Ghost of Tsushima.

regawdless

Banned
Ashes of Creation looks leagues beyond DS on both a technical and artistic level and it's an open world MMORPG. Stop sniffing Jimbo's farts and come up for a breath of reality.

Consoles are a great performance to price bundle but they don't hold a candle to any modern game running on a top-end rig.

Huh, never heard of that game. Looks very good!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
What are the specs on your PC and what games are you playing on it? I have not played TLOU2 but compared to a AAA game running on a high end PC, God of War was a pretty pedestrian looking game. It has nice art but you can see the limitations of the hardware, same with Ghost of Tsushima.
RTX 3080 icm with 3700x and 32gb ddr4 3200 speed pretty baller. 4k or ultrawide pretty easy for me to state this.. I have seen nothing on pc so far that beats GOW or TLOU2 in overal cutscenes inc animation..

Like i said before the only thing pc gaming offers is higher fps.
It's not weird that DEATH stranding and HORIZON are one of the best looking pc games right now.

Last edited:

Self

I can't think of a PC game which looks better than DS (their mostly beautified multiplattform games anyway). The character models though (especially facial animations)... their last gen for me.

Elog

suurree....

You did not read the recent posts, right? :)

No one argues that the faces in DeS is state of the art. We are talking about the environments and textures - and they are crazy good. GoW 5 is a great looking game but similarly to Doom Eternal etc at the highest settings the vertices budget is used for opponents and the player. The environment uses a significantly reduced amount of vertices since it is so heavy on standard GPU performance.

Compare that to the UE5 demo or DeS and you will realise how much more vertices that are used to create the environment and the the textures in general are of very high resolution. I am really excited about this development since I think it is a much better use of silicon than pushing resolutions north of roughly 1600/1800p.

Flyinmunky

I have completed Demons souls, great looking game but its not that amazing. Most of the NPCs look pretty last gen with poor facial animation.

Recently got Plat on LOU2 and id argue that game is overall much better looking. Obviously thats not on PC though.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You can add Spider Man MM in fidelity mode, it looks better than anything out there on PC atm.
Care to elaborate? Some screenshots to compare might help.

Also, at what framerate is that fidelity mode running?

TonyK

I'm sure is because the facial animations, but something like The Last of Us 2 seems more impressive to me than Demon's Souls, Metro Exodus, Control... For example, those screenshots in this thread with the face of Marcus Fenix and the other with the character creation of Demon's Souls (and we can add the terrible faces of Metro Exodus and the not so bad Control characters), all seem worse than The Last of Us 2.

So, what does impress people? Resolution, framerate? Because then any PC game I played these last years look is crisper and cleaner than any Sony AAA. But for me, that doesn't make the art better, maybe the rendering. For example, a modest game like Judgment, has better faces (and specially eyes recreation) than almost all AAA games out there. These toy faces in Demon's soul doesn't impress me a bit, only the clean IQ.

I think it's impossible to stablish a game with the absolute better graphics, because there is no game that makes all the aspects well. The Last of Us is incredible but it has muddy textures and an average IQ. But it looks amazing. Red Dead redemption 2 is incredible but hair recreation is subpar. So, at the end of the day, the game with the better graphics will be different for each one. It will depend on where you put focus. For me, for example, is very important face recreation, specially eyes. If a game has bad eyes, like for example Metro Exodus, it's irrelevant how well done are the environments, game never will be in my list of games with best graphics.

iHaunter

To follow up on my previous post some of the environments in A Plague Tale could be a good indication of what we would get if they made a full on next gen remaster of Bloodborne:

APlague-Tale-Innocence300.png

APlague-Tale-Innocence244.png

APlague-Tale-Innocence304.png

APlague-Tale-Innocence305.png

APlague-Tale-Innocence312.png

And that's the PC version of a last gen game.
There are no last gen and this gen. It's all based on the engine they decide to use and the average power of the device they're trying to support.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not arguing one way or the other, people are just saying there's a lack of screenshots for DeS, so I found a few.

In my opinion, what makes DeS so great is how good it still looks in performance mode (not the shots below) while you're actually playing it. You cannot get the same effect from a Youtube video.

234036_orig_152.jpg

hpccSqM.jpg

EneDjhyXYAEEsKC

watchvmihnkl6rff4-000uvk2b.png

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
95% of it is grass and lighting, not even remotely close to a comparison. But sure, live in your bubble.

That's a really weird claim to make when the lightning is the primary reason DeS looks so good.

johntown

Banned
This is all very subjective. Different games look good to different people. Some people think Control looks good and I disagree. It does not look bad but we are not talking about amazing levels of detail or anything. It's an office building.

If we are talking about the level of detail in the world Metro Exodus would be a contender but hard to say which is better. If we are talking about character models no way.

Demon's Souls looks amazing no doubt and next gen for sure but to say no PC game can compare is doubtful.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Not arguing one way or the other, people are just saying there's a lack of screenshots for DeS, so I found a few.

In my opinion, what makes DeS so great is how good it still looks in performance mode while you're actually playing it. You cannot get the same effect from a Youtube video.

234036_orig_152.jpg

hpccSqM.jpg

EneDjhyXYAEEsKC

Finally! Thanks dude.

The game looks pretty yeah, but I could see my PS4 Pro rendering that at 1080p/30fps no problem.

TrebleShot

In my opinion, what makes DeS so great is how good it still looks in performance mode while you're actually playing it. You cannot get the same effect from a Youtube video.

234036_orig_152.jpg

hpccSqM.jpg

EneDjhyXYAEEsKC

It looks this good in performance mode? wow, I am playing in fidelity. Looks like ill switch.

Care to elaborate? Some screenshots to compare might help.

Also, at what framerate is that fidelity mode running?

Fidelity mode runs in 30fps with Ray Tracing, but worth mentioning its a locked 30 with incredibly smooth motion handling.
screens, hmmm I dont have any personally, but ill see what I have on my SSD to upload, its an incredibly good looking game, the character models with ray tracing on things like shiny surfaces on the spidey suit and their glass coverings of their eye fittings.

The detail in the city and interiors is outstanding.

AV

It looks this good in performance mode? wow, I am playing in fidelity. Looks like ill switch.

No, I'm pretty sure those aren't fidelity mode screenshots. The shots and my statements were separate. I'll clarify more in the post.

But you should absolutely go turn it on and have a look for yourself. I played about two minutes in fidelity before making the switch. Spider-Man felt fine at 30, DeS didn't for me.

GHG

Gold Member
GOW 5 easily looks better than DS remake on XsX and PC. thats at default 60 FPS as well with more characters on screen.

gears-5-xbox-series-x-the-coalition.jpg

Character models yes, the rest of the game - absolutely not.

There are no last gen and this gen. It's all based on the engine they decide to use and the average power of the device they're trying to support.

Engines are always built with minimum spec targets in mind.

A nicer looking PS3 game is still at its core a PS3 game.

This is ridiculous. The engine they are using isn't the PS3 one. The only thing that was carried over was all of the game logic to ensure it plays the same. Even all of the animations were completely redone.

Didn't take long for the bitter crowd to start invading the thread.

The answer to the OP's question is yes but you don't need to start posting nonsense to prove that, there are plenty of legitimate answers and examples scattered throughout the thread.

draliko

Fidelity mode runs in 30fps with Ray Tracing, but worth mentioning its a locked 30 with incredibly smooth motion handling.
screens, hmmm I dont have any personally, but ill see what I have on my SSD to upload, its an incredibly good looking game, the character models with ray tracing on things like shiny surfaces on the spidey suit and their glass coverings of their eye fittings.

The detail in the city and interiors is outstanding.
Des ha no rt in neither mode

Andodalf

Banned
Finally! Thanks dude.

The game looks pretty yeah, but I could see my PS4 Pro rendering that at 1080p/30fps no problem.

The Pro could run the new Demon's souls, but it would probably need to be more like 900p/30 I'd guess with more cuts to things like LOD, texture quality, Model complexity, Lighting model, and shadow quality, which is the typical changes you see in games like Spider-man.

Ten_Fold

Haven’t seen any, playing the game in 4K and on cinematic mode makes the game the best looking game out right now imo.

TheKratos

You can add Spider Man MM in fidelity mode, it looks better than anything out there on PC atm.

Lol nah. Watch dogs Legion with RTX looks better imo. BUT PS5 comes really close and this is launch title only. I'm super content what PS5 has been showing, both in resolution mode and performance.

Just wait until it hits pc, so we can max out everything at 4k and 60 fps.

Or at more than 60 fps.

DS looks crazy good for a launch title, and in some regards it could actually be the best looking game out there.

But some of the suggestions here are equally or even more impressive.

Still, it's the best looking launch title ever, that's for sure.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
This thread makes me wonder what I'm missing out on, because I have a PlayStation 5 but have yet to purchase any new-generation games for it.

I've been playing PlayStation 4 games from my backlog on it; I just finished Horizon Zero Dawn and have just started Uncharted 4 (which I almost beat on "Crushing" difficulty two years ago but never finished because my PS4 Pro lost my saved data). Afterwards, I will finish The Order: 1886.

Aesius

RDR2 Maxed out, Gears 5 at Insane settings, Control with full RT.

AC Unity

AC Unity maxed out is something else. The LOD is awful but when you're just running around the streets of Paris and can't see too far off in the distance, it's a truly stunning game. It was sort of the Crysis of 2014 given how well it holds up in 2020.

Andodalf

Banned
AC Unity maxed out is something else. The LOD is awful but when you're just running around the streets of Paris and can't see too far off in the distance, it's a truly stunning game. It was sort of the Crysis of 2014 given how well it holds up in 2020.

The work on interiors is insane as well. The materials quality is simply top notch.

Top Bottom