• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are too many people too sensitive/emotional these days?

Are too many people too sensitive these days?

• Yes.

Votes: 90 75.0%
  • No.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Sort of.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I'm crying right now.

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • I have the emotional capacity of a rock.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I just squeezed my emotional support animal too hard, and now it's dead.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • EXTREMELY

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters

Tams

While I voted yes, I also want to say that people are too sensitive about shit that doesn't matter. I openly bawled when my dog died in my arms a few years ago, and didn't stop until a while after I buried her in the back yard. Shit, I'm tearing up right now just thinking about it.

Getting emotional over real loss and pain doesn't mean you're weak, it just means you're human.
I don't know why you think crying over losing a pet (especially a dog that is one of the closest) is considered oversensitive by us? That's perfectly reasonable.

I don't know why you think crying over losing a pet (especially a dog that is one of the closest) is considered oversensitive by us? That's perfectly reasonable.
I didn't think it was, but I just wanted to put my $0.02 in. Elsewhere on the internet you'll find people who think the ideal man should be stoic to the point of sacrificing their humanity on the alter of "manliness", when in reality the people like that are not healthy in the head.

Mistake

I literally just did some training that said if a person doesn't get an invitation to outside work social meet-ups that it should be reported
As it's a sign of discrimination.

Yeah people are too sensitive
I’d call my lawyer if I were you. I don’t know what law that breaks, but it must be something.

To the op, I think it depends more on where you live maybe, I’m not sure. I rarely have issues with clients and people where I am, only a few here or there. Sometimes I overhear conversations at the store and they’re more open-minded than I expect. But then I hear how things are going in Canada and it’s so different.

My honest opinion is that people who want the most attention yell the loudest, and with the internet it’s become all too easy

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I answered sort of.

I mean, it's more like I think it's emotion put in the wrong place. You will never convince me that there's a such thing as too much empathy, and if all of your personal needs and obligations are met, then I think being in touch with your surroundings, the people in those surroundings, and the world we're all a part of is great.

Now it's the "I was selling Crack to a fifteen year old and I guarantee these cops wouldn't arrest me if I wasn't black," or "I'm a vegan and this chicken sandwich ad triggered me into having a seizure that caused a seven car pile up," and all the pearl clutching outraged subscribers and retweets that follow that bugs me.

There are places in this world where you can get kidnapped, raped, robbed, murdered, assaulted, blown up, etc for having the audacity to go outside, and we're over here as a collective Western society getting upset about what is, comparatively, nothing, and it's like...these emotional outbursts are contrived and perfornative with a capital P. A market got blown the fuck up in the Middle East on Thursday, but that shit is small potatoes because there isn't enough diversity on this television show. Like fuck, dudes.

RAÏSanÏa

I think it's more Anxiety than anything
2ZJOckC.png

UnNamed

Banned
We live in a society where any problem is erased and we have a solution for almost everything. We also live in an era where everyone want to be right and validate ideas only with people like them, because arguing is tiring.
Many people don't want to face problems. Problems are tiring, problems are hard.

Except our psyche wasn't meant to avoid problems. For Mother Nature we are still in the cavern trying to survive.
People who avoid problems have difficult to cope with them. This cause problems in the psyche, then cause emotional breakdowns, in the end panic attacks.

We NEED to face and solve problem since we are kids to have a strong psyche, people who constantly avoid problems will face even worse problematics.

Last edited:

From Epictetus' Enchiridion:

Some things are in our control and others not. Things in our control are opinion, pursuit, desire, aversion, and, in a word, whatever are our own actions. Things not in our control are body, property, reputation, command, and, in one word, whatever are not our own actions.

The things in our control are by nature free, unrestrained, unhindered; but those not in our control are weak, slavish, restrained, belonging to others. Remember, then, that if you suppose that things which are slavish by nature are also free, and that what belongs to others is your own, then you will be hindered. You will lament, you will be disturbed, and you will find fault both with gods and men. But if you suppose that only to be your own which is your own, and what belongs to others such as it really is, then no one will ever compel you or restrain you. Further, you will find fault with no one or accuse no one. You will do nothing against your will. No one will hurt you, you will have no enemies, and you not be harmed. [...] Don't demand that things happen as you wish, but wish that they happen as they do happen, and you will go on well.

So, the more we value things outside our control, the less control we have.
If you can control something, there is nothing to worry about. If you cannot control it, there is still no reason to worry because that thing will happen and you can do nothing about it anyway.

I frikkin' love the Enchiridion, it's just such a good guideline to life and how to cope with strokes of fate. To consider the works of Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius, Seneca and Zeno as "harmful to male psychology" is an outright crime against humanity. To see trained psychologists issue such harmful guidelines is truly depressing.

Drew1440

I do wonder this with social media, but then I remember the 90s were littered with many trashy talk shows like Jerry Springer where all the crazy's could get their 15 minutes of attention.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
People are too emotional and get offended over everything.

Society has gotten soft at a large.

A lot of movies/TV shows from the late 90s and early 2000s would be banned/cancelled right now if I'm honest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom