• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Ubisoft in big trouble?

nani17

are in a big trouble
This is the latest news
Project Q canceled
Ubisoft Paris Employees To Strike Following Yves Guillemot Comments
Ubisoft had a dozen Battle Royale games in development at one point
Ubisoft Stock Price Plummets
Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot Says 2023 Is Crucial for the Company
Ubisoft CCO Is Leaving the Company October 2022

These are just a few of what's been posted here. Let's not forget the Watch Dogs trailer or ghost recon breakpoint debacle. Still no Skull and Bones still no Beyond Good and Evil 2

Also, credit to IbizaPocholo he does a great job here. :messenger_clapping:

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Thread title makes me weep...

Is it a question? Starts with a verb but there is no question mark!

Why is Ubisoft plural? Usually a company is referred in singular.

The indefinite pronoun is not really necessary.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
They “just” need to stop fucking around trying to get a slice of [insert whatever genre is popular now] and stick to their core money makers.

They have an incredible library of IP’s but they’re going all to shit. Amazing mismanagement.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Also interesting that the latest Assassin's Creed title is more scaled back than the last three, and more of a "return to form" similar to the older titles in the series. The latest games have sold gangbusters, so it'll be interesting to see if removing the psuedo-RPG aspects that have been added to the games will pay off. Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla have been three of the series highest selling games with 10m+ each.

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

diffusionx

Gold Member
Don’t forget: Avatar game in dev hell/vaporware, completely missing the launch of the movie that made $2 billion.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Man, I can almost feel how it must suck a magnum-sized dong to be working at any of their offices right now. I can just feel the tension in the air, especially among lower-level staff.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Break Ubisoft up.
Sad cuz some of those studios are absolutely insanely talented they just need leadership and to NOT be under Ubisoft.

Cant have a videogame company that has an employee census that reads like that of a small city.

Put people in charge who can go back to having reasonably sized games.
If the credits for your game lasts longer than Titanic Extended Edition.....you know youve done too much.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It wasn't meant to be released alongside the second movie, and there are two other sequels in development.
It was originally scheduled to be released in 2022, and was delayed last year. Maybe it wasn’t meant to be released alongside Avatar 2, I know that movie got shuffled around a lot to say the least, but releasing alongside a $2B movie is probably something you want to do. Of course I guess they can burn through another couple hundred million dollars and release alongside the 3rd one lol.

Go_Ly_Dow

People quickly coming to realise that companies like EA and Ubisoft have little artistic talent left in them and that their projects are created in focus groups and the boardroom.

yurinka

Nah, they aren't in trouble. They have been growing their revenue during a lot of years being profitable, have a lot of assets or cash plus Tencent's support.

The covid delays and a handful key games underperforming caused them to have a bad year or two and mixed with the controversies with that accusations some time ago highly affected their stock value, so will need to make some cost adjustments, but they'll recover as they go back to release great performing games with AC Mirage.

People quickly coming to realise that companies like EA and Ubisoft have little artistic talent left in them and that their projects are created in focus groups and the boardroom.
Totally wrong take. EA and Ubisoft are some of the most successful game publishers, meaning that dozens of millions of players like their games and buy them.

If you personally don't like them, it doesn't mean they have little artistic talent or that their games are created in focus groups or boardrooms. It only means you don't like them.

To think they have little artistic talent and that they create games on focus groups or boardrooms only means having no idea of how games are created, what focus groups and boardrooms are for, what creative directors and game designers and many other people in their teams do, and/or being a selfish ignorant who thinks that hundreds of millions of people with other gaming tastes are wrong and that it's a bad idea to make the type of games they like, even if some of these EA & Ubisoft games are some of the most successful game in the market.

Break Ubisoft up.
Sad cuz some of those studios are absolutely insanely talented they just need leadership and to NOT be under Ubisoft.

Cant have a videogame company that has an employee census that reads like that of a small city.

Put people in charge who can go back to having reasonably sized games.
If the credits for your game lasts longer than Titanic Extended Edition.....you know youve done too much.
Well, the staff of their games isn't bigger than the similar AAA games.

Their huge employee count comes from working on a shit ton of different games at the same time, and also from outsourcing less than the other external companies but instead doing that support work inhouse, inside their own company (they have over 40 studios).

But I agree that one the things they should do would be to make their big ass games way smaller and invest more on polish them and make them look better.

They are too huge, too bloated and too long, it's almost nonsensical. 20-30 hours of main story plus another 20-30 of secondary and extra stuff, being less bloated would be more than enough for me.

I think they'd sell more or less the same but the games would be better and with the budget they're spending on one of these they could release 2 or 3 games of these series.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Nah, they aren't in trouble. They have been growing their revenue during a lot of years being profitable, have a lot of assets or cash plus Tencent's support.

The covid delays and a handful key games underperforming caused them to have a bad year or two and mixed with the controversies with that accusations some time ago highly affected their stock value, so will need to make some cost adjustments, but they'll recover as they go back to release great performing games with AC Mirage.

Totally wrong take. EA and Ubisoft are some of the most successful game publishers, meaning that dozens of millions of players like their games and buy them.

If you personally don't like them, it doesn't mean they have little artistic talent or that their games are created in focus groups or boardrooms. It only means you don't like them.

To think they have little artistic talent and that they create games on focus groups or boardrooms only means having no idea of how games are created, what focus groups and boardrooms are for, what creative directors and game designers and many other people in their teams do, and/or being a selfish ignorant who thinks that hundreds of millions of people with other gaming tastes are wrong and that it's a bad idea to make the type of games they like, even if some of these EA & Ubisoft games are some of the most successful game in the market.
Popularity doesn't mean that they have a quality product. They have recognizable IP, a big marketing budget, and games that are optimized for engagement (the way cynical marketing types use the term) rather than fun and satisfaction. Innovative design and creative risk do not factor in. Just look at their output.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Also interesting that the latest Assassin's Creed title is more scaled back than the last three, and more of a "return to form" similar to the older titles in the series. The latest games have sold gangbusters, so it'll be interesting to see if removing the psuedo-RPG aspects that have been added to the games will pay off. Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla have been three of the series highest selling games with 10m+ each.

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

They have Codename Red coming in 2024.. that's the next big "huge open world AC game." Made by the Odyssey team.

They aren't abandoning that concept, just also trying AC Mirage to see if that style of game still works.

They don't need to sell as many copies since the budget will be a lot lower.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Yeah, but also who cares? its Ubisoft.
The developers working there having a hard time is sad, but Ubisoft the company itself having a hard time is something nice.

Last edited:

yurinka

Popularity doesn't mean that they have a quality product. They have recognizable IP, a big marketing budget, and games that are optimized for engagement (the way cynical marketing types use the term) rather than fun and satisfaction. Innovative design and creative risk do not factor in. Just look at their output.
Popularity means popularity. Means that a gazillion people buy their games because they like them. So means they they think they are good for them.

If there are 99.99% of people who like something and your part of the 0.01% who like it doesn't mean your group or the other group is right. It only means that if you are in the 0.01% group your tastes and preferences aren't representative of the market, so wast most people like.

And true, innovative design and creative risk in most cases imply a total failure in sales and people not liking or even getting interested on these type of games. Doesn't equal quality or success of any case, in most cases equals failure.

And in most cases the top performing, more beloved games are too creative and are mostly built on a very solid base of proven things that work and people like. Because human beings prefer known, familiar stuff than the unknown.

So companies like Ubisoft and EA, just like the other top publishers like Sony, Activision or Nintendo mostly bet on safe stuff, specially regarding their big projects where they invest hundreds of millions of dollars.

Regarding EA & Ubisoft output, I think It Takes Two, Lost in Random, Knockout City, AC Discovery Tours, Roller Champions or Skull & Bones are pretty creative and creatively risky. Specially when compared with the projects of other big publishers who rarely invest on producing new IPs or new ideas.

Regarding fun and satisfaction, if players wouldn't get that from their games they wouldn't buy them and more importantly, they wouldn't repeat. And EA and Ubi have hordes of fans buying their games again and again, wouldn't play them for years and wouldn't repeat with their sequels or other games made by them. Fun and satisfaction is the main reason of why people buy games, including the EA and Ubisoft ones.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I don't think they're in "big trouble", but I do think they need to reassess and reorganize. I think that's actually what we've been witnessing. They were stretched over multiple projects, and it's clear they should probably trim that down a bit and improve their focus.

Kurotri

They've been in rough waters since atleast 2019 when they released Ghost Recon Breakpoint. You could say it was their...breaking point.
:messenger_confused:.

Anyway I think they'll continue having trouble for a couple more years until they release a lot of their heavy guns, like Assassin's Creed having a japanese setting and all that jazz. They'll be fine after that. For this year Avatar will probably do a lot of heavy lifting as well.
Also it's honestly good to see all these news because it means Ubi woke up, cancelling all of the stupid trend chasing games that were never gonna work out anyway, like Hyperscape. If they dial back and look to their key franchises and do more IP deals like Avatar and Star Wars they'll be able to steer the ship.

Unlike Skull and Bones.

Am I right guys

Last edited:

Camreezie

I feel bad for their employees but i hope so. They need a fire lit under their ass to get back to putting out good games again, its been a while

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ubisoft as it is now is in trouble and maybe that’s a good thing?

Someone will buy them out and either sell off the ip or put a lot of money into the next round of games to make the whole package worth more and sell them off as a whole for a profit.

Top Bottom