• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you chest breather or a belly breather ?

Chest breather or belly breather?

• All in the chest

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • I breath from the belly

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Uhh... I didn't even notice until just now...

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters

Fbh

I don't know man, I have asthma. Breathing in general just doesn't seem to be my thing

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I have pectus excavatum (where your chest looks sunken in or seems like it has a “hole”). I was always a chest breather until I learned about belly breathing, and started doing that to reduce my shortness of breath.

I now breathe with belly first, and then chest, at least when I’m taking a deep breath (which I do very frequently). That’s probably the most efficient way to do it when you’re taking a deep breath. My regular breaths are a combo of chest and belly.

If you smoke or are around other pollutants, i imagine it’s probably best to not inhale deeply if you can avoid it. That way when you get older, the deepest part of your lungs won’t be as worn down as the upper parts.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never thought of this, but I feel like I'm a belly breather. Always been like this. When I inhale, I feel nothing above my sternum. All the action is where my fat gut is.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I now breathe with belly first, and then chest, at least when I’m taking a deep breath (which I do very frequently). That’s probably the most efficient way to do it when you’re taking a deep breath. My regular breaths are a combo of chest and belly.
??? I'm not sure what this means.

A breath is a breath. How can someone control how or where it happens?

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
??? I'm not sure what this means.

A breath is a breath. How can someone control how or where it happens?
Chest and belly can expand separately during a breath. Expanding your belly takes the breath in deeper, corresponding with its position on your lower torso and it’s position relative to your lungs.

I’d guess you never noticed because your chest and lungs anatomy are strong enough that breathing was never something you had to think about consciously.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Chest and belly can expand separately during a breath. Expanding your belly takes the breath in deeper, corresponding with its position on your lower torso and it’s position relative to your lungs.

I’d guess you never noticed because your chest and lungs anatomy are strong enough that breathing was never something you had to think about consciously.
I guess so. Never had issues with breathing. Now if someone can solve my shins from getting shin splints when I run that's what I need help with. lol.

As for breathing, only time there's an issue is I'm wearing a shirt or jacket with little give, I breath in, and my fat ass gut expands. One time a button blew off my shirt as it was getting snug over the years (right at the stomach part). lol

Top Bottom