• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you close with your co-workers?

Do you like your co-workers?

• Yes

Votes: 32 37.6%
  • No

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • My job is a job, nothing else.

Votes: 38 44.7%

• Total voters

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I know some people like to keep their work life and personal life separate, but some of the best friends I have made were because of work. I know people who are married and originally met at their jobs. We have a group text going with different coworkers at my job and we get together outside of work from time to time. Most of us are in our 20s and 30s, so that helps, but even the 50 somethings will go out with us to happy hours and parties. I think it boosts morale at work- if people enjoy who they work with and are close, then it makes the job more bearable.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
I'm friendly with everyone, but I stopped going to work social events a long time ago. I used to be all in and that sort of thing in my 20's and got friendly with a few coworkers (perhaps a little too friendly), but I no longer have any interest in that.

Billbofet

I tend to be more reserved with people I work with. I had a guy that worked for me years ago that got very attached to me and at points, it got downright scary.
I often travel for work and will do the standard dinner and team-building stuff, but really make every effort to keep it all professional. I want to retire in five years and I have enough friends already.
That said, some of my very best friends are people I used to work with - just none recently.

Rival

Gold Member
I like the majority of my coworkers and get along good with everyone but as a general rule I do not really mix business life and personal life and I don’t really care for forced out of office work functions. Like I’ll talk about people close to me with coworkers but we aren’t mixing it up together.

Irobot82

I work remote, my boss is one of my old coworkers, he's cool. I have another coworker who I got a job for. We hang out and go fishing a bunch.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Define close.

I'll fight for my coworkers and defend them from a lot of bullshit that comes up. We chat all day while working and enjoy each other's company. Overall, we're a pretty close-knit team.

But we don't hang out outside of work. Every 4 months or so, we'll do like a happy hour thing. But that's it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've learned that it's best to just keep work as work and not to take things personally. Just because someone is friendly doesn't make them your friend and just because someone is rude doesn't make them your enemy. I'm just there to get the job done and pay my bills.

nush

Gold Member
Not really, you have good times withthem at work events and stuff and it feels like friends but when you no longer work together they forget about people they worked with. You're no longer on the team.

Mossybrew

I get along work wise with all of my coworkers, even though most of them are annoying in one way or another, but I have zero interest in socializing with them after work, and I try to avoid as much office chit-chat as possible.

Just because someone is friendly doesn't make them your friend
Especially if they are your supervisor. Learned that lesson the hard way.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

I choose the Cloud Strife option.

By5MhMV.png

Lasha

I keep a pretty strong firewall between my personal and professional lives. I am social with colleagues. I share strong relationships with many. None of us consider each other friends. It's easier that way.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
Haven't been close to some co-workers since last time I moved, which was 4 years ago. Still chat to those ones, but haven't seen each other for that same length of time.

I have nothing against making friends with any, but I don't go out to do it. If it's going to happen, it'll happen. If not I don't mind as I'm not a sim who needs social interaction every 15 minutes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Always have had close coworkers. Been to a ton of their weddings too, and even stag party in Vegas with a boss. Super fun. Hang out, baseball and hockey games, parties, pubbing etc...

Last edited:

lachesis

Close enough to work with them as team - but I respect their private lives as I expect them to do so. We do talk a lot about all things in life like family- but rarely get together outside of work.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I have friends at work. But I trust next to no one. I am in a good position and I lead well but I enjoy talking to people at work. But I don’t do anything with them outside the office.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Kinda. Now a days I have good beer buddy type coworkers. Guys I’d go out with and have a beer together. They’re good people. I wouldn’t say we are close, but they know me better than some of my real friends. I like the people more than my last job. Those guys use to talk behind my back and I always felt like they were always waiting for me to mess up. I didn’t get along with them on a professional level and we sucked as a team.

We had a guy pass away not too long ago. I worked with him for two years. We weren’t close or anything. We’d message each other and discuss clients. It felt like I could depend on him. He went into the hospital and he passed away over the weekend. That has been a weird feeling to me. I’ve dealt with compulsive liars, cut throat a-holes, and then those types who change your life. I’ve never dealt with the death of someone I always thought would be there the next day.

At what point does someone become a work wife?
that saying makes me feel weird. My wife uses it at her job. You work around someone for so long they feel like a spouse or something.

One of my very best friends is from a job we met at, but that was a very long time ago. In your 20s people are just people. I’m your 30s, workmates will stamp on your back if it gets them more status, in my experience.

SJRB

Gold Member
I work at a place where the average colleague is a lot older than I am and pretty much all have drastically different life styles.

No, Sandra, I in fact do not care that your kid fell and hurt his knee during soccer practice yesterday. I just don't, okay?

Yes James, please tell me more about that new house you bought for 600,000 euros while you sold your old house with 200,000 euros profit while I'm dealing with crippling student debt and can't even get a mortgage to buy a piece of shit condo. I'm all ears!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, small family owned company that's bloomed and grown over 20 years to the point they've been acquired and allowed to retire.

Get on well with basically all of them, we're off on a pub crawl together on Saturday, a few of us play games together Thursdays, I've been to one of their wedding and 3 are coming to mine. It makes working MUCH better.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Been in strip clubs with them, the busty secretary and me was grinding and having fun touching each others reproductive organs. Saw her have sex with another girl in the stripclub. We go and have lunch and coffe on occasion at work. They are all animals when out clubbing, in the office everyone is all chill and reserved lol

Big ass corpo gig.

Roufianos

Yess. I've made some very good friends in my current role. Some have left and I still see them often.

It's mostly people aged 23 to 30 though if that helps.

I trust my coworkers 100% with what we do in our department, and we treat each other like reasonable adults. That said, I don't socialize with them or think about them much after I end my shift for the day. We all have our own lives, families, and friends, and I appreciate the respectful distance we keep between each other.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
My team are all pretty close, we have a WhatsApp group and are constantly sleggin each other or posting shite about games and movies, the team ranges from early 20's to near 50 and we often do beer nights out which are always good craic.

Fools idol

Banned
I am very close with my employees. Culture is important at our company, and I made sure that anyone we hire feels like they can be themselves at work and not feel like they have to conform to set rules.

Obviously as long as they aren't being a dick or deliberately hurting other members of the team in the process, I let people work from home a few days a week then we have a team meeting in person on fridays to sort of recap the progress on projects and shoot the shit together. I usually get beers and takeout food in for that.

People do their best work when they actually are valued, and don't feel like work is a place they have to go to make money (if you know what I mean).. I made a big effort to hire people with clear integrity so I didn't feel nervous about productivity if they work from home most of the week and after a couple bad hires we weeded out and got a good system in place.

I play the odd game with a few of our developers when I have time outside of work, have ever been baby sitter for one of our team on a few occasions. Shes a single parent and works more than anyone weve ever had and constantly asks for over time and what not.. I increased her sallary and cut her work days down to 4 days a week so she could have more time and money for her 3 kids. Low and behold, her productivity remains excellent and shes super happy at work. That is the 'boss' I want to be.

Toots

Gold Member
I'm closed from 4:30 pm because i'm a public servant :p
Seriously it depends on the type of job your doing. I work in a library and like books so i tend to chat with my coworker as we share common interests and we have time to do so. Maybe if you're a line cook in a really busy place, or working security at a bank, you don't do it that much.

Been in strip clubs with them, the busty secretary and me was grinding and having fun touching each others reproductive organs. Saw her have sex with another girl in the stripclub. We go and have lunch and coffe on occasion at work. They are all animals when out clubbing, in the office everyone is all chill and reserved lol

Big ass corpo gig.
You gonna get fucked dude, but not in the way you think :/ (i hope im wrong for your sake, but really what your describing is career wrecking 101, especially if you don't have that much interaction at work)

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
You gonna get fucked dude, but not in the way you think :/ (i hope im wrong for your sake, but really what your describing is career wrecking 101, especially if you don't have that much interaction at work)
Its all good. After a while we just ended up in different departments. Getting wreckt at the Oktoberfest is kind of a tradition (regardless of department) and luckily everybody is grown up and knows that its all just fun and for the occasion.

I voted yes...they're some of my best friends.

But I did leave for a year just to try something else and if I were still there I would have voted a job is a job, nothing else. I ended up going back. Anyway, I guess my point is that it really depends on the situation/organization.

It should help to point out that I worked at my previous job 11 years before the pandemic, and the other job was remote only (but local), so I'm sure that played a huge role.

winjer

Gold Member
I've had a couple of close friends at work, a few years ago.
But for the most part, it's just a cordial co-worker relation.

Bartski

Gold Member
No. I think it's essential to keep a healthy distance as an employer, doesn't change much when everything is going fine but makes all the difference when things go sour

Dark Star

Not really. I get along with most everyone I’ve talked to, but I’m very quiet/shy. I don’t say much. my job is just what I do from 8-4. I have little to no relationship with the people I work with, even if I’m in the office 3 days a week. I just stay at my desk and try to get my work done. There are a few guys around my age and we also went to the same university so there is for sure some small talk here and there, I don’t mind socializing when the time is right (company party, event, etc)

Cattlyst

I’d like to have some friends at work. It sounds like it could make things more enjoyable. But I’m a bit of a fuck up so usually end up leaving before any work relationships can form.

Celcius

°Temp. member

Big ass corpo gig.
Is this in the USA?

I am very close with my employees. Culture is important at our company, and I made sure that anyone we hire feels like they can be themselves at work and not feel like they have to conform to set rules.

Obviously as long as they aren't being a dick or deliberately hurting other members of the team in the process, I let people work from home a few days a week then we have a team meeting in person on fridays to sort of recap the progress on projects and shoot the shit together. I usually get beers and takeout food in for that.

People do their best work when they actually are valued, and don't feel like work is a place they have to go to make money (if you know what I mean).. I made a big effort to hire people with clear integrity so I didn't feel nervous about productivity if they work from home most of the week and after a couple bad hires we weeded out and got a good system in place.

I play the odd game with a few of our developers when I have time outside of work, have ever been baby sitter for one of our team on a few occasions. Shes a single parent and works more than anyone weve ever had and constantly asks for over time and what not.. I increased her sallary and cut her work days down to 4 days a week so she could have more time and money for her 3 kids. Low and behold, her productivity remains excellent and shes super happy at work. That is the 'boss' I want to be.
Are you a manager?

Last edited:
Top Bottom