• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you close with your co-workers?

Do you like your co-workers?

• Yes

Votes: 32 37.6%
  • No

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • My job is a job, nothing else.

Votes: 38 44.7%

• Total voters

BossLackey

Gold Member
I'm fairly close with my coworkers. We have a really great team.

It really depends on where I'm working though. I've had a job where I was the only person my age (by a lot) and the only dude.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I’m usually a “work is work” guy but leadership makes you realize you need to walk the line differently with different people. Some you never talk to about anything and others you need to always relate to. Need to thread that needle

As a PA I have to deal with asshole nurses and I am married to one so I try to avoid them at work. I have a couple people from different floors I go have a cigarette with and BS about the kids and whatnot but I stay away from the drama queens and try to hang around the ones a little older because they don’t seem to give a fuck and just want to work to work and not get tangled up in the drama.

hollams

Gold Member
Very close with my co-workers as well. The company started as a family business and so when I started 27 years ago it felt like a family and it was awesome. I knew everyone in our department and got along with all of them and many of them are very close friends to this day. We had over 200 people at that time and just about everyone of them knew me. We had Christmas parties where I performed music and ventriloquist acts and also put on a few skits where I was able to "insult" the managers. Having friends and a family atmosphere made me work harder as it really didn't feel like a job. The family aspect has changed in the last 15 years, one was a merger which brought in a ton of new people as we had to expand so there were new groups of people that I didn't get to interact with. The last 6 years most new people only stay about 3 years so it's hard to be apart of the family when they are only here that little bit.

There's a group of 5 of us that go out to lunch just about every day and we even played through Gloomhaven boardgame which took us over a year and a half playing once a week. I've also gone on vacation with another of my co-workers multiple times with our families.

Since I spend 40 hours a week at work it really a second home so for me it's best to make it a family atmosphere since we are all in it together.

Soodanim

Gold Member
My biggest group of friends is people that worked together when we were all ~18-20. None of us still work for that company, but about 10 of us still see each other.

My current office job isn't the coldness other people talk about by any means, everyone is very nice and we have a laugh and a chat throughout the day while getting things done.

ShinFuYux

I make friends wherever I go. It's impossible for me not to.

I don't even try, people seem to naturally gravitate towards me and all of the sudden we're talking to each like best friends.

GeekyDad

Not close, as my wife and I are pretty private people, and pretty much just like to hang out around the house on our off time. But I do consider many of them good friends. I would go well out of my way for some of them.

Dont have time or care for that shit. Let me be professional and do my job as best as i can. Prob puts me at a disadvantage but whatever, im not gonna be upper upper management level anyways.

When i was 20ish working my first real world adult “corporate” job, i made some good friends and had a blast at work while getting the job done.

Then at my first career path job out of college a few years later I did socialize and do events quite a bit, but I got picked on enough by my direct team that it just put me in down a dark path at that company,

Now mid 30s, 3 kids, wife. Career peaked, lost the passion, etc. i dont give a fuck about workplace socializing. Im amicable and chill etc. just could care less

Definitely. I work at a small-ish pharmacy, with 3 other "permanent" workers, we all grew up in the same town; my boss is not much older than I am, and after I started working there I learned he was even childhood friend with one of my old neighbours from when I was a kid. It's nice knowing I can count on them as much as they can count on me, even for more private issues.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No. I keep it civil with them, but we'd never be friends. They have very extreme political views and I'm convinced a majority of them are insane.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I did work with a group one time and they were all life long friends. I was the outsider. But I worked there for 3 years until funding ran out. They all went to another company together. I found my own way. It was fine but I knew my place.

Top Bottom