• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you happy with Gamepass currently?

Are you happy with your Gamepass sub?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

graywolf323

Gold Member
eh mostly because I'm still in the conversion/deal window, if I was paying $15 a month I wouldn't be happy & would be seriously considering canceling

I mostly seem to use GamePass for the quests and MS first party with the occasional indie that I mostly use GP to 'rent' and then buy on my preferred platforms on sale later (Switch for portability or PS5 for trophies)

edit: I'll most likely keep it just because I can get GPU cards on sale at Black Friday which make it ~$7-8 a month which is a much more practical price for what I'm getting

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Its okay. I played some games off it, like FH5 and Halo, which saved me their retail price at launch. And some cheaper stuff like Prey, Dead Space 2, Rainbow Six Extraction, Mass Effect LE and Hitman 3 more recently. I use the 1 dollar trick so its fine.

I don't rush out to buy the latest games anymore, so some of them will appear on GP in the meantime and others I might buy on sale one day. It absolutely does save money.

clarky

Gold Member
See a few people saying at full price its a no-no. Everyone agree that $15 or so is the upper limit for a sub service currently? I think we'll see an increase when Blizzard Activision games start hitting the service or maybe another tier.

Of course. It really is the best deal in gaming. Has it changed my purchasing habits? Absolutely. For the price of a full game I can get a year and a half of game pass ultimate. I've been using pc game pass alot lately even though I have an S and X. I alter my game play with trainers which makes things so enjoyable. Right now I'm playing escape academy which I would never try without gamepass...It is really really fun. Especially with coop. Give it a try.

Last edited:
See a few people saying at full price its a no-no. Everyone agree that $15 or so is the upper limit for a sub service currently? I think we'll see an increase when Blizzard Activision games start hitting the service or maybe another tier.

I'm sure MS will eventually pull the rug out from under those much cheaper deals, at which point $15+ means I just buy games individually and cancel GamePass. I am not a fan of Blizzard/Activision titles, so that really adds zero value for me.

Last edited:
I don't have a New-gen xbox, and I havnt played on my One in about a year, but I think gamepass is an amazing deal

I dont subscribe to it, and likely never will. But I see that it's amazing for what it is, especially if people use tricks to make it cheaper

It has added a bite back to MS, that they've been missing for a while. It's better than ps+ tiers, bit it's also different to them too

I don't think gamepass is profitable on its own for xbox, but with the full weight of Microsoft behind them, it's here to stay

ckaneo

I have the 3 year gamepass but rarely use it. It works great and there are great games, but everything I wanted to play keeps getting delayed lol. Covid killed development so I'm not that upset.

I will do the 3 years again when my sub ends

No, I am not that happy with it. GamePass I would feel much happier with if they added all backwards compatible titles to the service - or at the very least a good majority of them. Give them Achievement support as well.

Most AAA games these days from both Sony/MS have failed to interest me at all or outright feel insulting, so the only real reason to get either service IMO is for older titles and indies. PS just barely squeaks ahead as it has a few more classic games that I care more about (Toy Story 2, Wild Arms, Ape Escape, etc) than MS does. But MS could easily beat that if they did as I suggested. There are too many great titles that were on BC for OG Xbox/360 that aren’t on the service.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yes, but I want more.

I'd happily pay £70 per month if I had the option of downloading third party titles from day one (ALL third party titles as well) plus with the guarantee that they never leave the service.

Call it Ganepass extreme or something like that. Just give me the option, FFS.

reksveks

4 Games releasing this year that I am interested on; thats also on GP. (P5R, A Plague Tale 2, Pentiment, Hello Neighbour 2)
3 more games on Gamepass that apparently still this year but i have doubts (Super Space Club, Atomic Heart, Somerville) Real grain of salt with Sommerville.

I am currently happy despite it being a slower fortnight personally. As Dusk Fall was worth the 15 quid alone this month.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Playing Two Point Campus on it right now so, yeah.

I wouldn't pay the full subscription unless it was the only thing I used, at which point it would be great.

Quasicat

I just let my subscription lapse now that the school year is starting back up. I will resubscribe in June 2023 for another three months. I cant justify paying for something I do not have the time to enjoy during the school year.

Spyxos

Loved 2021, but this year not so much. Only game that i would have played would be guardians of the galaxy, but i did play it before. I do play some small games here and there.

Only subbed for one month so far to play Life is Strange. Resubbing once Plague Tale and High on Life are out.

So yeah pretty shit year

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
No. I felt better about canceling my monthly subscriptions than I did downloading and playing new crap.

Still no reason to upgrade to Series consoles. Still waiting for a big development stance in Japan, to use MS funding in bigger ways there. New studios. Big acquisitions or talent hires.

I haven't bought games for Xbox in a year or more and it's my main console. More than a 10 year drought of JRPGs. Xbox has dropped the ball and isn't filling the Sega or SNK gap. Phil's PR is to say "we hear you" and everything is delayed or canceled along the way. Their big spending around new JRPG ports on stage only getting 2 day embargos before announcing on all platforms. A phoned in Kojima announcement about a conceptual brain fart that won't happen soon, but will be powered by Xbox.

Fuck all of that. Be competitive. Fill the content gap. Buy up Sega, Falcom, ArtPlay, MediaVision, Capcom, Konami, Bandai Namco Holdings, etc.

Not really. But, we are going through a full calendar year without a single first-party AAA game, so not sure how anyone can be. Especially, when the third-party stuff is highlighted by stuff like Powerwash Simulator

Also, Microsoft taking games off the service for a while just so they can reannounce them as "new" is a pretty lame tactic.

Last edited:
I subbed 3 months for $1 to play Shredder's Revenge.

Until Microsoft actually release something I doubt I'll stay subbed.
If you like taking advantage of promotions you can do this with PS+ 7 day trials. Just create multiple accounts like I do. godzilla2@gmail godzilla3@gmail and so on and so on. You'll never have to pay for PS+.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No.

I hate it but I know it's necessary.

In fact I hate everything about it and it's other competition. PS+, Nintendo Online and Xbox Live.

If it was up to me, there would he no subscription services and no paid online.

Alas, it is something I could never control. I just look back fondly when everything was free online, no microtransaction and gaas games.

Now, I know for a fact that subscriptions means a heavy focus on gaas and heavier lean on microtransactions.

grumpy old man yells at clouds or whatever. It's what I feel about it.

Agree. I think these services are cancer basically, one huge race to the bottom as it turns everything into a homogenous mass of "content".
It devalues the work, because although you'll occasionally run across something that appeals unexpectedly, between those instances you'll have many more cases where you have a quick look and simply discard a game because its presented as disposable filler.

Like familiarity breeds contempt, cheap abundance makes people jaded and contemptuous.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It’s a bunch of indie games and two or three others. Really not a great service, but indicative of modern video game industry where there’s less and less AAA games.

clarky

Gold Member
Agree. I think these services are cancer basically, one huge race to the bottom as it turns everything into a homogenous mass of "content".
It devalues the work, because although you'll occasionally run across something that appeals unexpectedly, between those instances you'll have many more cases where you have a quick look and simply discard a game because its presented as disposable filler.

Like familiarity breeds contempt, cheap abundance makes people jaded and contemptuous.
Nothing apart from first party exists purely for gamepass unless im mistaken. If anything it gets games to a broader audience that would normally fade into obscurity fairly quickly. Stuff that i would discard as you say i wouldnt have tried in the first place.

I just see it as a rental store. Obviously its not for everyone though.

reinking

Gold Member
I am very happy with it and will be until they start increasing the price (or removing the stacking loophole). Best deal in gaming.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nothing apart from first party exists purely for gamepass unless im mistaken. If anything it gets games to a broader audience that would normally fade into obscurity fairly quickly. Stuff that i would discard as you say i wouldnt have tried in the first place.

I just see it as a rental store. Obviously its not for everyone though.

Its the way stuff is presented is the issue for me; unlike rental or library systems what its trading on is this idea of "anything, everything, all of the time". Drive space permitting you can just set gigabytes of stuff to download at any given time.

This seems wonderful, and in many ways it is, but there's a psychological impact when stuff is presented this way. Basically everything becomes disposable and lacking in importance and interest.

Markio128

It was okay for the few months that I had it - I mostly just played Forza H5 and a couple of others, but there was nothing on there to hold my interest for too long. I’ll likely sub again when the catalogue is more to my tastes next year.

Robb

Gold Member
I’d say yes. There’s only been 2-3 months where I’ve found the content lacking since I joined, which is kinda surprising.

I feel they’re very good at getting games that I actually want to play on the service, it’s just unfortunate that the first party lineup got crippled this year with the StarField and RedFall delay.

I’m not sure I would say perfectly happy as I would like a more steady stream of first party content, but I voted yes.

Last edited:

Starhowl

I wouldn't say I'm perfectly happy regarding things like shovelware such as "Powerwash Simulator" and games on GP being incomplete due to missing DLC, but it's still pretty much alright and fair I think! :pie_winking:

octiny

Banned
Extremely, makes up around 85% of the of the games I play on PC. Anything else I wait via cdkeys or is FTP.

Currently paying $10 a month. Had Ultimate for the longest time but switched since I haven't touched my Series X in awhile outside of using it for media consumption for my projector room.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Was subbed for a month or two and played a bit of Halo: Infinite and Age of Empires IV. Ended up not linking them so I haven't subbed again.

I might check it out again in the future if some new release catches my eye, but for now my Steam and consoles backlog is enough to keep me away from considerimg having even more backlog.

Awesome service tho. As a kid I would have busted a nut if someone told me I could get tons of games for just a coin or two.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
I wouldn't say I'm perfectly happy regarding things like shovelware such as "Powerwash Simulator" and games on GP being incomplete due to missing DLC, but it's still pretty much alright and fair I think! :pie_winking:

I mean, Powerwash Simulator is an extremely popular game & well reviewed among buyers. So I wouldn't exactly call it shovelware. It's a very therapeutic game.

clarky

Gold Member
Its the way stuff is presented is the issue for me; unlike rental or library systems what its trading on is this idea of "anything, everything, all of the time". Drive space permitting you can just set gigabytes of stuff to download at any given time.

This seems wonderful, and in many ways it is, but there's a psychological impact when stuff is presented this way. Basically everything becomes disposable and lacking in importance and interest.
I get what you mean, back in the day when i was kid with no money and was a dirty pirate, nothing had meaning and everything was played for 5 minutes and thrown away.

But these days with gamepass its the opposite for me, plus ive slowed down a ton and i dont feel the need to try everything immediately.

Each to their own of course.

On a separate note this year ive only bought Elden Ring(pc) and GT7 i think and only plan on MW2 and maaaybe Calisto Protocol if it turns out well later this year. Game pass has been filling the gaps nicely.

For sure. I think the weakest month ever is this month. And I still get Midnight Fight Express in like 10 days.

Its worth it. Some months its so worth it its kind of crazy. Some months suck lately though. Ready for more first party stuff to help in the coming years.

Top Bottom