• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you more likely to play a multiplatform game if

More or less likely to play an unexpected exclusive

• More likely to play

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • Less likely to play

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Don't care/weird hypothetical

Votes: 82 89.1%

• Total voters

kicker

Banned
close to release, the game is suddenly announced as an exclusive (permanent or timed) to your console of choice?

And why?

edit: If you must know, I think this forum has a weird obession with exclusives. This weird premise of the thread is a reflection of that.

edit edit: the weirdness of the thread cannot be undone (it's a feature, not a bug, see previous edit) but I will provide an example to explain:

Studio y releases a trailer for game x, it looks cool but you're on the fence. Will check out sometime down the line. The initial trailer states it will be released on pc and all major consoles. Suddenly, a year before release, studio y announces game x will now be exclusive to your console of choice (either because they received extra funding or the studio has been bought out by your console manufacturer).
Are you, even slightly, more interested in game x?

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
And here's to hoping the console war lust doesn't overwhelm this thread

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
Oh No Fire GIF

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
If it's a permanent exclusive....it's no longer multi platform...

A timed exclusive doesn't matter. If it's not timed...I still would get to play it day one either way.

Weird thread is an understatement.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It is likely that a permanent exclusive will be extensively customized for that hardware. So yeah, if that's the case it does attract my interest more.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
close to release, the game is suddenly announced as an exclusive (permanent or timed) to your console of choice?

And why?

edit: If you must know, I think this forum has a weird obession with exclusives. This weird premise of the thread is a reflection of that.
So your saying a multiplatform game suddenly becomes exclusive and is therefore not a multiplatform game anymore are we more or less likely to play it???

If it suddenly becomes a stadia exclusive id say less likely.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Starfield is one example, yeah, but it's more about console exclusives and the heightened appeal they seem to have for console fans in general.
I don’t get the difference, if you like the game then you gonna play it regardless it’s exclusive or not. A game being exclusive it doesn’t automatically make the game better.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Ok, even with that extra explanation in the OP, a game suddenly being permanent exclusive doesn't make me more interested.

I don't play mmorpgs, one becoming exclusive doesn't get my attention. Or a game like Fortnite, it becoming exclusive isn't gonna change anything for me.

I think Stellar Blade might be a good example. I was interested in it day one. It becoming a PS5 exclusive doesn't make me more interested.

I don't care about scloosivez and the only games I buy day one are titles I'm heavily anticipating. All others can wait for a deep sale.

Roxkis_ii

I wouldn't be hype for a game that goes exclusive at the last minute. It's still a multi platform in all but name. Compared to a true exclusive that will use all the bells and whistles of my hardware.

Just being exclusive doesn't do much for me. Its the hope that an exclusive will give you an unparalleled experience that gets me hype..

Kvally

Banned
Stellar Blade
What I see, but is in the minority:

Stellar Blade announced for Console A & B

Console A fan: Sounds good, I am in.
Console B fan: Sounds good, I am in.

Steller Blade announcement update, only coming to Console A

Console A fan: Game is gonna be lit, best game ever
Console B fan: Game was never gonna be good to begin with/moneyhat

A real fan of gaming will find ways to play the games they want to play. That might including, wait for it, owning all the consoles and enjoying them.

kicker

Banned
I'm really sick of thread titles that don't finish in order to make me.............
I'll make sure to finish next time just because you asked nicely, babe

Sorry what's your question precisely?
check the op edit edit

Wanting to play a game simply because its exclusive doesn't make me want to play it more.
If it’s a good game, I’ll play it, regardless of exclusivity.
Why should exclusivity matter if the game being worth playing or not?
See this is the reasonable, game-first response to the kind of silly question I asked.
The reason I asked it at all was because I believe there are people in this very forum, posting amongst us who value the idea of a game being exclusive ever so slightly more than the game itself. An extension of the value they place on their favourite console. Absurd, isn't it?
I've only been here a year (member for a month or so) but that's the vibe I get from the place

I am likely to play a game if
come on, mr apple, commitment to the bit would've made you post something like this instead:
If you can't come up with a title that's clear, And instead you choose to trick people far and near, If your aim is to deceive and mislead, And make folks wonder what they really need,

If you think it's clever to play with words, And treat people like they're just nerds, If you value clicks over honesty, And think tricking people is the way to be,

If you believe that your thread's content is so great, That it's worth a bait and switch to create, If you're convinced that gamers will fall for your scheme, And that they won't call you out for being obscene,

Then know this, poster, your methods are weak, And your intentions are transparently bleak, For gamers value honesty and respect, And won't fall for your tricks, they'll reject.
credit to chatgpt ^

Elaborate?
I have seen several threads and posts along the lines of 'I've played this and that, what other xxxxxxx™ exclusives can I play, anything non-FROM, non-Capcom and not exclusive is AA indie trash and not worth even spitting at'. And that has confused me for so long. Might be an exaggeration, but the other forums I'm coming from (mostly pc-focused) don't have this mindset. Maybe It's a misread, but, eh

Am I to assume you noticed some contradiction between those two posts?

Robb

Gold Member
Don’t care. The entire point of the exclusivity to me would be to tailor the game for that systems features/hardware.

If the game was developed for multiple platforms and then suddenly becomes exclusive last minute it might as well stay multiplatform. It wouldn’t intrigue me more or less.

mrmustard

Banned
Not sure if i get this thread right, but
multiplatform games are always neutral and exclusives are overhyped by fanboys A and hated by fanboys B.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I put yes. Not because it makes the game better( even if it could in theory) but more because of the better marketing that we can get as a result. I do not follow gaming as much as some people here so if a game got a good re-reveal and the added marketing that goes with it, I may be interested even if I would not in the first place.

It works even if the game go to a platform I do not own. Starfield did not interest me in the beginning but I saw it so many times in GAF that the mega google doc put me beyond the edge: the skill diplomacy seems fun to try.

Crayon

I understand you completely. You should expect the "more likeley" option to be heavily underreported.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I really don't care who made the game.

I play the games I want to play

brian0057

Banned
It mostly about economics for me. If it's on a device I don't already own, I wish them good luck.
I'm usually a generation behind when it comes to hardware (being from a third-world nation helps) so I play them pretty late.

But given that I don't pre-order, don't play at launch, and don't play multiplayer titles, I don't mind waiting for the [insert meaningless term] Edition.
Bonus if it comes out on a device I own.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

And why?

edit edit: the weirdness of the thread cannot be undone (it's a feature, not a bug, see previous edit) but I will provide an example to explain:

Studio y releases a trailer for game x, it looks cool but you're on the fence. Will check out sometime down the line. The initial trailer states it will be released on pc and all major consoles. Suddenly, a year before release, studio y announces game x will now be exclusive to your console of choice (either because they received extra funding or the studio has been bought out by your console manufacturer).

Just give me a sec, trying to decipher this.

neil-degrasse-tyson-gravity.gif

I'm more likely to buy 3rd party surprise exclusives cause most of the time Sony has an eye for great stuff to grab. It definitely gets more attention from me.
Mainly when it's a new IP. No shame in my game. But it's definitely not foolproof . . . Godfall comes to mind. Dodged that one.

badblue

The initial trailer states it will be released on pc and all major consoles. Suddenly, a year before release, studio y announces game x will now be exclusive to your console of choice (either because they received extra funding or the studio has been bought out by your console manufacturer).

John Candy No GIF by Laff

There have been a few times in which I game I've been interested ended up with a year of Epic exclusivity despite being announced as a Steam game. I consider those games delayed for a year.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I’m straight up more likely to be excited about exclusives, I think generally they are of a higher quality.

Not more likely to play. But more likely to be excited about

I don't derive my enjoyment of games from others being unable to play them, so unless it included a new feature or improvement due to the exclusivity then it would have no impact on me buying it, though I suppose in the case of Xbox an exclusivity contract could also include Day 1 on Game Pass, which could influence me to play the game more, but that's because of being on Game Pass, not because it would be Xbox exclusive

Lasha

Exclusivity has no bearing on my decision to play a game. I won't play something I find unenjoyable just because a console manufacturer paid for an exclusive.

Top Bottom