• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D) enters Senate race, hoping to unseat Jeff Flake (R)

kirblar

I live in a NY brooklyn bubble.

But seriously - I WANT her to win. I just don't see the segment that gets excited for this.
It's not all about excitement! Especially downballot! Expecting Obama '08 as the norm is a very bad idea!

How does Flake "have Tucson"?

His old congressional district from 03 to 12 was based in Mesa.

AZ-districts-109-06.png

kirblar

Nothing says Democrat like "BOOTSRAPS" and "Common ground"
It does if they're running in a red state trending purple and must flip dissafected I/R voters in order to win. Especially if Flake is primaried by an even crazier person.
Okay, but just as I have zero evidence, so do you. I'll wait for polling.
VA's statewide D candidates over the past 2 decades have done quite well with a collective charisma of dried toast! (Webb probably the most charismatic, actually)

*Face-palm, Face-palm,Face-palm*

This the reality of living in a heavy red state. I know I live in that racist shit-hole that is Arizona! I'll take a "Republican lite" with a D by her name then the hardcore Republican she is running against! She can probably be reasoned with and history tells is this is how you get the progressive agenda to make traction in red states.

You're talkin' to a guy who lived in West Virginia for twenty years, the only southern(ish) state with a 95% white population. I know all about living in heavy red, racist shitholes. Manchin survives on name recognition and only got in because he was elected before the state turned sharply right. You have to search far and wide to find the people who vote for Manchin because they appreciate his moderate approach. I'm skeptical about this strategy in Arizona but if it's between Sinema or Abboud, I have to admit Sinema is the most feasible between the two so I'll take it. I don't really give a shit about "purity tests", I just worry about Sinema failing to get people out to support her. As mentioned though, it seems she's the best shot unless someone else pops up.

legacyzero

Banned
It does if they're running in a red state trending purple and must flip dissafected I/R voters in order to win. Especially if Flake is primaried by an even crazier person.
Oh I'm with ya. I guess I'll take a Blue Dog over a hard R. Progress is progress

kirblar

You're talkin' to a guy who lived in West Virginia for twenty years, the only southern(ish) state with a 95% white population. I know all about living in heavy red, racist shitholes. Manchin survives on name recognition and only got in because he was elected before the state turned sharply right. You have to search far and wide to find the people who vote for Manchin because they appreciate his moderate approach. I'm skeptical about this strategy in Arizona but if it's between Sinema or Abboud, I have to admit Sinema is the most feasible between the two so I'll take it. I don't really give a shit about "purity tests", I just worry about Sinema failing to get people out to support her. As mentioned though, it seems she's the best shot unless someone else pops up.
Your state went from blue dominated to red dominated w/ the decline of union power and the rust belt. It is very different from traditionally red states that are trending purple or blue.

Dyle

She sounds fine, I imagine she'll probably end up moving a bit to the left after the primary season anyway and being more moderate will be important getting a Democrat senator from Arizona. I'm definitely going to try to push my grandparents to vote in Arizona, they're just the kind of disaffected long-term Reagan Republican voters that someone like her will appeal to in the Trump era. Their votes are basically worthless in our district in Illinois, so they could really make a difference there, especially since they spend more time there than in Illinois these days

Only conservatives yell that bullshit. Bootstraps mainly. And common ground? Hearing that is hard to swallow when the Overton Window is so far right.i honestly don't want common ground if we can take the majority.

Conservatives talk about how they used government assistance?

Your state went from blue dominated to red dominated w/ the decline of union power and the rust belt. It is very different from traditionally red states that are trending purple or blue.

You're right about that. That said, isn't Arizona trending purple because of shifting racial demographics?

Xe4

Banned
Only conservatives yell that bullshit. Bootstraps mainly. And common ground? Hearing that is hard to swallow when the Overton Window is so far right.i honestly don't want common ground if we can take the majority.

How do democrats win a majority in 2018 without winning Arizona or Texas? Serious question, give me a map. It's not a pretty year for democrats in the senate, they have to absolutely run the board, and then pick off two republican seats in solid red states.

I don't honestly give a shit if this lady votes against the public option ala Lieberman. I can worry about that when we actually have a governable majority. I just want someone who won't be ok with the republican's shitty ass healthcare or tax bills.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Obviously a Democrat, but I'd rather run with someone who's actually appealing to a tangible demographic. People like Manchin are in office from name recognition and getting in before the state swing hard and fast to the right, not so much because the people of WV have a nuanced appreciation for his moderate approach to governance. Why on earth is a Trump voter going to go for a moderate democrat when they can just go for the real deal? Seems like we'd be losing more people on the left than we'd be gaining in the middle. Don't think modern democrats have much tolerance for people who will work with Trump in any capacity on conservative initiatives.

I just find it hard to believe that the modern Trump voter would consider anyone with a D beside their name, moderate or not. This is the same party that thought fairly-moderate-democrat-Obama was literally a communist.

Hillary isn't remotely as conservative as this person though.

Edit- post just above mine is the proof in the pudding that it doesn't matter what your beliefs are, a D beside your name makes you a radical progressive. "Moderate" voters will eat that shit up. Might as well actually run a radical progressive and at least soak up the votes on the left.

The argument that swing voters are stupid and vote entirely on letters next to names isn't a coherent strategy.

I want people to realize that the kinds of people who are, or could conceivably in the next few years, run for Senate in Arizona on the GOP side are all demonstrably worse than Jeff Flake.

People like Kelli Ward, Paul Gosar, and Trent Franks are not the kinds of people you want in the Senate because Kyrsten Sinema was a 'DINO'.

UraMallas

The Pelosi and Clinton snubs in AZ are promising tells. She might have a real shot at this.

Edit: and she's an atheist mentioning how much religion matters to AZ values? Shrewd.

Every time I'm reminded of her, she strikes me as one of those people who pretends to be less liberal than they are so they can be popular in their state. Not saying this as any sort of fact or reason to vote for her, of course, since this hunch is more just a vague feeling than anything based remotely on fact or knowledge, and the nearly 50% Trump-vote rate is disappointing. Still, any Democrat is better than Flake, since any Democrat brings Schumer one seat closer to Majority Leader.

Future

Meh. We should take what we can get. For Arizona this would be a win. Baby steps.

Absolutely. Democrats not weighing in because she votes a bit bipartisan are the fools that helped get trump elected. For Arizona, this how you get a little of a bipartisan vote to seal the win

Top Bottom