• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D) enters Senate race, hoping to unseat Jeff Flake (R)

Wasn't Arizona closer than Wisconsin in 2016, and continually trending bluer? Why are we acting like modern Arizona only deserves the absolute furthest right we can find while still being a registered democrat? I'm not even asking for a purity test here, I'm asking for someone who sides with their own party more than 51% of the time.

Arizona moderates/swing voters are different than Wisconsin moderates/swing voters.

Same reason why Hillary did better in Arizona than Obama and why Obama did better in Wisconsin than in Arizona.

Daingurse

I'll vote for her when the time comes.

Yeah no thanks. Democrats don't want republican-lite and republicans don't want republican-lite so I don't know why we keep pushing this dumb strategy.

Nah. She's still better than Flake, and has a D by her name. We work with what we got.

For the new page...

49% support is around what Obama scored for supporting the Bush administration even when he was running for President.

If you are gonna fixate on that percent then at least know how much support presidents typically get, even from their direct opponents.

antonz

Wasn't Arizona closer than Wisconsin in 2016, and continually trending bluer? Why are we acting like modern Arizona only deserves the absolute furthest right we can find while still being a registered democrat? I'm not even asking for a purity test here, I'm asking for someone who sides with their own party more than 51% of the time.

Arizona has 2 very distinct Population Centers. Republican leaning Phoenix and Democrat Stronghold Tucson. The 2 have started to balance each other out which has led to the state turning Purple.

Jeff Flake is not in Blue Arizona. He is in Red Arizona and as such will require a Candidate that can be viewed as acceptable to both sides.

1. There aren't enough "votes on the left" in Arizona to matter. And Sinema has already deflected those "SHE'S A RADICAL LEFIST" attacks during her 3 congressional runs while others might not be so deft.

2. Hillary made gains in Arizona from Obama, and Trump fell far from Romney.

3. It's worth going after those who voted for Trump but are unhappy with him, and in Arizona, those are suburban moderates (unlike, maybe, in other states).

She's the perfect candidate for Democrats in Arizona. She might not be my perfect candidate, but there's a reason she's done very well in her former swing seat.

I'm all for being pragmatic about candidates. I just question if Arizona is the place for this. I fear another Joe Lieberman situation when we're pushing for single-payer or something and it's dashed by Sinema. I recognize that you can't run the same folks in Arizona that you can in Vermont or Washington, but at the same time I don't know that Arizona is exactly Joe Manchin-esque territory either.

I'm all for being pragmatic about candidates. I just question if Arizona is the place for this. I fear another Joe Lieberman situation when we're pushing for single-payer or something. I recognize that you can't run the same folks in Arizona that you can in Vermont or Washington, but at the same time I don't know that Arizona is exactly Joe Manchin-esque territory either.

I think Arizona is just a different beast than even an Ohio. I think, even given 2016, you're better off running a more populist-minded progressive Democrat than in Arizona for now, if that makes sense.

JettDash

I'm all for being pragmatic about candidates. I just question if Arizona is the place for this. I fear another Joe Lieberman situation when we're pushing for single-payer or something. I recognize that you can't run the same folks in Arizona that you can in Vermont or Washington, but at the same time I don't know that Arizona is exactly Joe Manchin-esque territory either.

Joe Lieberman having the seat was better than a conservative Republican having it.

Oh, I just looked into the Democratic alternative (Abboud) and realized she's a Muslim woman. As much as I'd love to say otherwise, That's probably not gonna work in Arizona.

Sinema it is, I guess. Just hope she makes the right choices when it matters if she gets the seat.

JettDash

If someone more progressive wants to challenge her for the nomination, whatever. But if she wins the nomination, every single person on the left that doesn't vote for her is a moron.

If someone more progressive wants to challenge her for the nomination, whatever. But if she wins the nomination, every single person on the left that doesn't vote for her is a moron.

Never meant to suggest otherwise, to be clear. I'd like to see us prop up someone a little further left for the race, but if she's ultimately the candidate it would be dumb to not support her.

Slime

Banned
Democrats who vote with the GOP 50% of the time in seats where more progressive candidates would win elections 0% of the time are worth it.

Yeah no thanks. Democrats don't want republican-lite and republicans don't want republican-lite so I don't know why we keep pushing this dumb strategy.

*Face-palm, Face-palm,Face-palm*

This the reality of living in a heavy red state. I know I live in that racist shit-hole that is Arizona! I'll take a "Republican lite" with a D by her name then the hardcore Republican she is running against! She can probably be reasoned with and history tells is this is how you get the progressive agenda to make traction in red states.

kirblar

*Face-palm, Face-palm,Face-palm*

This the reality of living in a heavy red state. I know I live in that racist shit-hole that is Arizona! I'll take a "Republican lite with a D by her name then the hardcore Republican she is running against!
I live in VA.

I happily voted for Jim Webb!

Zubz

Banned
So, Pelosi and Clinton are too liberal for her. Weird.

It's Arizona. As it currently stands, a Democrat barely has a shot as it is. She may mean it, but she may just be trying to quell any blowback early on.

She's not ideal, from the sounds of it (Just learned about her), but based on what I'm seeing, she's better than leaving Flake there. Far better, actually.

She's blonde, openly bisexual, and is particularly focused on veteran's affairs.

This is literally the only kind of Democratic candidate that could win a Senate seat in Arizona in the year 2018.

jtb

Banned
She's a great recruit. Taking back the majority means far, far more than any of the individual issues where she breaks from Democrats.

Most of this shit (not voting for Hillary, co-sponsoring legislation that will pass anyways, etc.) is just political theater anyways.

NoName999

It's hilarious.

Minority rights and women's rights are negotiable, but God forbid a Democrat isn't economically to the left of Bernie.

I dont like her. Arizona isnt West Virginia or Missouri, we can have someone else. I believe Jeff Flake is even more unpopular than Trump is, and he won the state by only 4 points. We can have someone at least as good as Hillary. We shouldn't prop up Joe Manchin's of the world if we dont have to.

I dont like her. Arizona isnt West Virginia or Missouri, we can have someone else. I believe Jeff Flake is even more unpopular than Trump is, and he won the state by only 4 points. We can have someone at least as good as Hillary. We shouldn't prop up Joe Manchin's of the world if we dont have to.

Who? Name names of those who would conceivably even run for Senate.

Flake is unpopular largely in part because he's not conservative enough. You want to end up with Paul fucking Gosar?

The only Democrat in power in Arizona was Napolitano. Anyone giving this Democrat hell for any reason and does not live in AZ can be quiet. I was a Bernie person but screw purity tests. We need to as a party go back to the 50 state solution because the bickering and tests do not work.

PBY

Banned
Running with candidates tailored to a local electorate instead of ones tailored to a national one won't work?

No one wants this though?

I'm not opposed to her, I just don't know if this is good politics? We'll see. It would be awesome if she won, I just tend to think these candidates excite exactly no one, and R's don't peel off.

lol I'm so over the left

She's also not Joe Manchin. At worst, she's Claire McCaskill.

Also, there's a decent chance that Flake doesn't even win his primary next year, and the person currently leading those polls (Kelli Ward) is further right than Flake is.

PBY

Banned
Local electorates want it!

VA Dems put up Jim Webb to replace a GOP seat! HE WON!

Do you live in a deep blue part of a deep blue state or something?

I live in a NY brooklyn bubble.

But seriously - I WANT her to win. I just don't see the segment that gets excited for this.

kirblar

Hillary lost by almost 14 points in Arizona. I am not sure where the myth of her barely losing is coming from. 14 points is close for Arizona standards but its still a blowout.

Hillary had the advantage of Tucson able to vote for her. Anyone running against Jeff Flake does not have Tucson.
Hillary lost by 4.5%
Obama lost by 9%

Kusagari

Hillary lost by almost 14 points in Arizona. I am not sure where the myth of her barely losing is coming from. 14 points is close for Arizona standards but its still a blowout.

Hillary had the advantage of Tucson able to vote for her. Anyone running against Jeff Flake does not have Tucson.

You’re off by like 10 points dude.

Do you live in Arizona? I am starting to get tired of people spouting shit they don't know.

Better to have someone who votes with Trump the vast majority of the time?

Leftists are so dumb sometimes.
Yeah, but we don't actually know the moderate in this instance has a better chance of winning than the progressive (there is generally a lot of momentum behind anti-establishment candidates, but then again, this moderate has had electoral success in Arizona). I agree we should go with the most viable so-called "lesser of two levels". Less evil is always a good thing, let's not lose sight of that, like the voting public did during the last election.

Top Bottom