• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ark 2 launches 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member
FVEci4wXoAA_OT-

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

The REAL info was in a dev update on the game's Steam page! Draugoth Draugoth , make sure to update your OP and headline and include this info - this is HUGE!

Third-person cam
Souls-like battle
PvE Campaign
Game made in UE5

A lot of goodies here!

From the game's Steam Store Page:

772c38c2689d68500e1b9b99d348fa987a8b12b8.png

Suddenly awakened on a strange primal world filled with dinosaurs and humans struggling for dominance; you must piece together the history of how you arrived there, team-up with legendary heroes, and confront powerful dark forces seeking to control the fate of all life. Saddle up, and join the definitive next-generation survival experience with ARK 2!

Every aspect of the ARK series has been rethought and redesigned in this sequel. Here's a sampling of the new features that ARK 2 will contain upon its initial Early Access and Game Preview release:

d7478c37556ea2db41d1c14b0eadc4b50e4b18da.png

Starring
Vin Diesel
("Fast Franchise") as legendary ARK hero Santiago, experience an epoch-spanning adventure as he seeks to protect his daughter Meeka -- voiced by
Auli'i Cravalho
("Moana") -- from the ghosts of the ancient past and visions of a new future.

3a0460bc6fc5991e3d8752bae1ee2953d28b3c90.png

Fully stackable, user-created Mods for new creatures, items, gameplay features, and maps are now distributed across all platforms --
including onto Xbox
-- and support for modded servers enabled through official mod support by mod.io!

Here’s a little bit more information about this new technology partnership:

641141986dfec010af7d7f5ab53db6fc2f9f4b4f.png

Advanced character traversal mechanics like mantling, free-climbing, parkour, sliding, and swinging!

0217808859c0ae44f21f4d1907943f4ce856e5fa.png

Target-lock, blocks, dodges, combos, staggers, special attacks, emphasizing player-skill-based action.

2442276576a4bc19083d2a07af6fe787eb4c8433.png

Explore a mysterious, chaotic world where native flora and fauna are being overrun by invasive primeval creatures from an extinct Earth!

e30eacef135d8c08366a39fb55b314a3c7a6376c.png

Construct your weapons and tools from a range of distinct modules to customize their look and functionality -- millions of possible combinations enable you to craft your own unique gear! The specific materials you choose will further affect the appearance of your items, with multiple options of resources found in unique regions of the world.

e94e3fc78e8e4ee6ce21f211228237d09f5a1dc0.png

Natural and unnatural occurrences are always happening across the game world, independent of your presence! Your choices in deciding whether to interact with these events will yield rewards or challenges.

b855e158068d3c4c528157581c9a36f6c17b522b.png

Hostile 'Aratai' hunt & attack you riding their own tamed creatures, as they seek to drive human interlopers from their world.

cce42cbca3606886074ec7cdaf52c0a383fa34b8.png

Instanced rendering and network-streaming enable much higher client and server performance for large, player-built structures, and a longer draw distance! Survivors can set up and save their own preferred building templates, share them, and place prospective template layouts in the world to then build them out as a team.

24cafb253694d8cb0ef5c1c6e2f19e25428f9849.png

No omnipresent radar -- animals now track and hunt by sight, sound, and smell! Hide from predators with visual camouflage and environmental obstructions, and learn to mask your scent! Dynamic pathfinding enables creatures to intelligently maneuver around obstacles and player-built structures.

dc0ddafec0a6c7309da1880a7a875fbc00fab855.png

Gain both experience points from gameplay, and knowledge points by accomplishing key objectives and overcoming unique challenges, to progress along a massive skill tree filled with new active abilities, perks, and passive benefits.

8a8709935d70432d3e678235bcdeade6d065cd75.png

See foliage react convincingly to passing wildlife, water flow downstream around obstacles, volumetric stormclouds, localized weather systems, smoke and particles affected by physical forces, and much more! Fundamental advancement of lighting systems enables a more photorealistic day-night cycle, generating real-time ambient lighting & shadows within both natural and player-constructed environments!

0359157c465ad12e04d5ac25c20dc07c6d92021c.png

b1a1f0391c4825e3d8da614e3c541cacb69c5300.jpg

As we journey into the next evolution of ARK, Jesse and Jeremy reflected on the time they’ve spent creating ARK and wanted to include a personal message about ARK 2 to the community.

396408a1cc77c63be41f9d96c6cfbf43544877a8.png

The future of survival games begins with ARK 2
When we first released ARK: Survival Evolved in 2015, we had no idea how big it would eventually become. It was beyond our wildest expectations that 7 years later we’d be developing an eons-spanning narrative across multiple games, a TV series, and starring none other than
Vin Diesel
as key ARK hero Santiago. And yet here we are, together with our wonderful players who have stuck with the ARK universe through thick (RAGNAROK!!) and thin (FLYER NERF??), now having a canvas far bigger than ever before.

That’s what ARK 2 is – the biggest canvas ever for primal survival experiences, a next-generation framework to play out your own survival stories.

ARK 2’s main narrative tells the story of a father and a daughter (“Meeka” played by Auli'i Cravalho!), of betrayal & broken promises, and the strength of the family bond – and of course, it’s a story of badass giant dinosaurs. But even more importantly, this is about players’ own stories – like any good persistent-world online survival game, ‘Survivors’ in ARK 2 each have their own unique path through the game, as they form their own tribe, make their own friends, and attempt to build their own creature-aided civilization.

With ARK 2, we’re seeking not only to enhance the game’s narrative and world-building, but also retouch and improve on all aspects of what constitutes an ARK game.

Foremost among these redesigns are the core player mechanics. In the sequel, which is third-person-only, controls and movement for both players and creatures have been completely redesigned. Taking inspiration from game systems like Assassin’s Creed’s automatic parkour and Breath of the Wild’s climbing, player characters can now clamber over the environment in a more realistic and freeform manner. With a focus on primitive-era combat (Santiago and Tek have a ‘complicated’ relationship…), ARK 2 draws heavily from Souls-like action for its human-scale combat: an emphasis on dodges, blocks, light and heavy attacks, combos, and player-reflex skill – a rarity for the PvP survival genre. For creature-scale combat, suffice it to say for now that when you attack something with your T-Rex in ARK 2, the results are visceral: the animation of the attack actually hard-impacts on the target (not “passing through” it), the victim’s flesh is torn, and the target physically reacts at that location to the hit – all to convey the feeling of the raw power of such a ferocious creature!

Another area that we’re particularly excited about is the World Event system. Rather than simply having a more-or-less static environment with easily predictable or repetitive occurrences ala ARK 1, the new World Event system is designed to ensure that unique things are always happening around the world, whether you are there or not. Events include procedurally-dynamic scenarios like watering hole gatherings, wounded creatures, tracking the signs of advanced prey, stampedes, herds, defending endangered creatures to earn their trust, finding dens of parent creatures and their young, and more. Whether you choose to engage with these events is up to you, and each can yield unique rewards and challenges.

There are too many other areas of fundamental changes in ARK 2, whether it’s the new opposing-force ‘Aratai’ who have their own tames, the new Creature Management & proper World Map systems, the advanced component-based item crafting that enables players to choose exactly what their gear looks and functions like from millions of potential combinations, or the revamped build system which provides innumerable more building options and enables saving & sharing of build templates – or, or…well, there’s just too much to go over here! You’ll get your first preview of the ARK 2 gameplay down the road, and we think you’ll like what you see.

Finally, saving perhaps the best for last, ARK 2 adds a revolutionary new feature for console players: fully stackable, user-created mods, including on unofficial servers, for the Xbox version of the game enabled through official mod support by mod.io! This means that players who create mods using the PC version will be able to upload them to the cloud and make them available for all console players to enjoy as well. With this, as we’ve seen with ARK 1 on PC, everything in the game can effectively be changed, improved, and redesigned: new creatures, new game types, new maps, new weapons & items, and mechanics (yes modders can re-add First Person mode 😉 ).

With the power of Unreal Engine 5, the only limit will be the imagination of the content creators themselves. We’re super stoked to witness the mind-blowing additions that players will no doubt create in their mods and maps – and we believe that having all such user generated content playable on console in ARK 2, with complete cross-platform server integration, is going to change the nature of the genre forever.

Put simply: with ARK 2, our goal is to make the game that we all wanted ARK 1 to be – now that we’ve had the time, resources, and knowledge to do it right. So in 2023 on Xbox & PC Game Pass, we’ll look forward to seeing you all in this new world of primeval creatures and legendary heroes. Just keep an eye out for Vin – he likes to play on his Series X more than you might expect, and his skill at wrangling a Giga is unequaled…

Yours truly,
Jeremy Stieglitz, Jesse Rapczak and the Wildcard team.

BoxFresh123

The REAL info was in a dev update on the game's Steam page! Draugoth Draugoth , make sure to update your OP and headline and include this info - this is HUGE!

Third-person cam
Souls-like battle
PvE Campaign
Game made in UE5

A lot of goodies here!

From the game's Steam Store Page:

772c38c2689d68500e1b9b99d348fa987a8b12b8.png

Suddenly awakened on a strange primal world filled with dinosaurs and humans struggling for dominance; you must piece together the history of how you arrived there, team-up with legendary heroes, and confront powerful dark forces seeking to control the fate of all life. Saddle up, and join the definitive next-generation survival experience with ARK 2!

Every aspect of the ARK series has been rethought and redesigned in this sequel. Here's a sampling of the new features that ARK 2 will contain upon its initial Early Access and Game Preview release:

d7478c37556ea2db41d1c14b0eadc4b50e4b18da.png

Starring
Vin Diesel
("Fast Franchise") as legendary ARK hero Santiago, experience an epoch-spanning adventure as he seeks to protect his daughter Meeka -- voiced by
Auli'i Cravalho
("Moana") -- from the ghosts of the ancient past and visions of a new future.

3a0460bc6fc5991e3d8752bae1ee2953d28b3c90.png

Fully stackable, user-created Mods for new creatures, items, gameplay features, and maps are now distributed across all platforms --
including onto Xbox
-- and support for modded servers enabled through official mod support by mod.io!

Here’s a little bit more information about this new technology partnership:

641141986dfec010af7d7f5ab53db6fc2f9f4b4f.png

Advanced character traversal mechanics like mantling, free-climbing, parkour, sliding, and swinging!

0217808859c0ae44f21f4d1907943f4ce856e5fa.png

Target-lock, blocks, dodges, combos, staggers, special attacks, emphasizing player-skill-based action.

2442276576a4bc19083d2a07af6fe787eb4c8433.png

Explore a mysterious, chaotic world where native flora and fauna are being overrun by invasive primeval creatures from an extinct Earth!

e30eacef135d8c08366a39fb55b314a3c7a6376c.png

Construct your weapons and tools from a range of distinct modules to customize their look and functionality -- millions of possible combinations enable you to craft your own unique gear! The specific materials you choose will further affect the appearance of your items, with multiple options of resources found in unique regions of the world.

e94e3fc78e8e4ee6ce21f211228237d09f5a1dc0.png

Natural and unnatural occurrences are always happening across the game world, independent of your presence! Your choices in deciding whether to interact with these events will yield rewards or challenges.

b855e158068d3c4c528157581c9a36f6c17b522b.png

Hostile 'Aratai' hunt & attack you riding their own tamed creatures, as they seek to drive human interlopers from their world.

cce42cbca3606886074ec7cdaf52c0a383fa34b8.png

Instanced rendering and network-streaming enable much higher client and server performance for large, player-built structures, and a longer draw distance! Survivors can set up and save their own preferred building templates, share them, and place prospective template layouts in the world to then build them out as a team.

24cafb253694d8cb0ef5c1c6e2f19e25428f9849.png

No omnipresent radar -- animals now track and hunt by sight, sound, and smell! Hide from predators with visual camouflage and environmental obstructions, and learn to mask your scent! Dynamic pathfinding enables creatures to intelligently maneuver around obstacles and player-built structures.

dc0ddafec0a6c7309da1880a7a875fbc00fab855.png

Gain both experience points from gameplay, and knowledge points by accomplishing key objectives and overcoming unique challenges, to progress along a massive skill tree filled with new active abilities, perks, and passive benefits.

8a8709935d70432d3e678235bcdeade6d065cd75.png

See foliage react convincingly to passing wildlife, water flow downstream around obstacles, volumetric stormclouds, localized weather systems, smoke and particles affected by physical forces, and much more! Fundamental advancement of lighting systems enables a more photorealistic day-night cycle, generating real-time ambient lighting & shadows within both natural and player-constructed environments!

0359157c465ad12e04d5ac25c20dc07c6d92021c.png

b1a1f0391c4825e3d8da614e3c541cacb69c5300.jpg

As we journey into the next evolution of ARK, Jesse and Jeremy reflected on the time they’ve spent creating ARK and wanted to include a personal message about ARK 2 to the community.

396408a1cc77c63be41f9d96c6cfbf43544877a8.png

I'm glad they put this up because it's show presence was far from informative.

Worst Studio ever. Ark is still in an Early Access State on an Ue4 Version that is years old.
Actually Ark is released, had storylines spanning over serveral additonal maps, regular seasonal events and is IMO very fun to play.

I dont know where you get your infos from.

Last edited:

Crane

Banned
Actually Ark is released, had storylines spanning over serveral additonal maps, regular seasonal events and is IMO very fun to play.

I dont know where you get your infos from.
Which Devlie you wanna hear first? The technical state is a disaster. There are still the bugs in from the 2015 EA release.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Say what you will about Ark, but I loved it. Hooked me for hours that did, single player too, took me hours just to get anywhere and even when it bugged my favourite dino in oblivion (I was heart broken) I couldnt stop.

This, Kerbal 2 and Stalker 2 are my most wanted.

Nickolaidas

Say what you will about Ark, but I loved it. Hooked me for hours that did, single player too, took me hours just to get anywhere and even when it bugged my favourite dino in oblivion (I was heart broken) I couldnt stop.

This, Kerbal 2 and Stalker 2 are my most wanted.

I hate its combat system. Hopefully the sequel will have much better mechanics. Souls formula gives me hope, but not everyone can pull it off.

P.S. Kudos for having Shadow of the Beast II death picture as an avatar!

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I hate its combat system. Hopefully the sequel will have much better mechanics. Souls formula gives me hope, but not everyone can pull it off.

P.S. Kudos for having Shadow of the Beast II death picture as an avatar!
Cant argue with that, it was pretty terrible! I just know we're going to get some form of mess with Ark 2 but I cant wait to see the scope of it, if it's half as captivating as the first I know i'll be hooked again

P.s, you cant beat the classics :)

Which Devlie you wanna hear first? The technical state is a disaster. There are still the bugs in from the 2015 EA release.
Thats not the point.....you said it is still in early access and that is simply not true. I was just pointing that out.

Ark is one of my most played games. Really looking forward to this.

In the meantime, check out their new community map.

It is technically. Doesnt matter what they say.
If you dont like the game, think that Wildcard is the worst developer ever and ark is still an early access .....

...why are you posting your negativity in this thread? Just ignore it and play what you like. Leave this threaad for people who are interested in ark 2.

Hmmm? ;)

Comandr

Well that sucks. Is there any word of an upgrade path for Ark 1? I didn't see any mention. It was just.. hey sooooo.... we are cancelling the old thing but you can rebuy it tho.

Top Bottom