• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ark 2 Reportedly A Timed Xbox Exclusive and Will Come To PlayStation & Switch

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Timed exclusives are harmless. I wish every exclusive back in they told us when they would stop being exclusive.

No, because being acquired (often) gives a level of safety that being independent doesn't. Theres a big difference from trying to keep the lights on with each game you make vs soely focusing on game development only and letting the executives at your new firm worry about the details. I get what you saying if you looking at both in a vaccum. Games on one console. But in actuality both are achieved through very different means. One requires more risk than the other if you buy the studio outright.

What are you even arguing?

First you were castigating (and rightly so) timed exclusivity, from the perspective of a gamer. And now you're arguing for the benefits to developers of permanent exclusivity by studio purchase.

At least argue from a logically consistent basis. You're all over the place, right now.

Either you think buying exclusivity (regardless of the means) from the perspective of a gamer is bad or you don't. I don't give a shit how it impacts devs. They get paid for their work either way. As a gamer, I only care about how it impacts me. As should you, if you were even trying to be intellectually honest... which I'm not sure you are.

Jaybe

But did Xbox actually paid for it though i can't find anything to say that they pay for it?
I’m not sure we ever would see that. Most deals between companies have NDAs attached to them. The developers in theory could just want to release on Xbox first, but it is an odd choice in the absence of incentives to pick the lowest install base of the three. We know Death’s Door hit game pass and they would have been paid for that (plus digital devoler the pub has made a lot of them). My suspicion is a “timed exclusivity then Game Pass inclusion” deal. But we wouldn’t know whether timed part was paid for explicitly or implicitly.

Last edited:
Yes this is just as shitty as when Playstation does it, timed exclusives are the worst way to get an exclusive because it doesn't help anybody and only punishes owners of different consoles

It does help the developers who make the game.

Marginally, it's usually pretty comparable to pushing Playstation/Xbox income over the first x months to getting it at the beginning, but that really only helps extremely cash strapped devs who need the funding desperately at the beginning, which really only applies to small indie companies. Ark 2 won't be a better or bigger game because of this, nor will Final Fantasy 16, nor any future Studio Wildcard or Square Enix games. Moneyhatting timed exclusives is worse than acquiring the company (from the consumer perspective), both of which obviously worse than company being fully independent, and both obviously better than the company closing down

Drewpee

Banned
Except when they are on Game Pass day one. Other than that i agree, they suck and i think they are a waste of money.
The game doesn't need to be timed exclusive, just adding it to Gamepass is a win for gamers. Microsoft should get away from timed exclusives entirely.

Looking forward to the day exclusives are no longer a thing.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Marginally, it's usually pretty comparable to pushing Playstation/Xbox income over the first x months to getting it at the beginning, but that really only helps extremely cash strapped devs who need the funding desperately at the beginning, which really only applies to small indie companies. Ark 2 won't be a better or bigger game because of this, nor will Final Fantasy 16, nor any future Studio Wildcard or Square Enix games. Moneyhatting timed exclusives is worse than acquiring the company (from the consumer perspective), both of which obviously worse than company being fully independent, and both obviously better than the company closing down

Then why do they do it? Why do timed exclusives exist?

Three

Sure has nothing to do with it coming to early access / Game preview, a Platform/Concept Sony for whatever reason simply doesnt support.
This is some crazy ass speculation on your part. Especially considering the fact that they themselves launched Dreams via early access.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I have to be honest, The SE/Sony relationship is pretty damn weird to me. FFVIIR/FFXIV/FFXVI pretty much console exclusive, period. Then I think Forspoken is also 6 month to a year or more console exclusive to PS5 also. All of the actual heavy hitters. Then their best AA games always wind up on the switch Octopath/Triangle. Sony might as well put a ring on it, probably cheaper to marry her at this point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom