• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkane games and the Sim Genre

Meifu

I remember playing through Dishonred 2 to beat it back in the day and it was a good time.

Been having an itch for stealth/sim gameplay so just finished Deux Ex MKD and the DLC"s and now moving on to this for a full replay w sidequest and all. Damm this is a good stealth action game with some immersive sim weaved in.

Makes me think about how much fun Deathloop was but really missing that replayability. I hope Arkane doesnt move to the more linear game going forward, bc i kinda hated that in Deathloop once
you beat the game once, you realize there was only ONE PATH?????? Thats ridiclous from a dev who give so much agency in recent games like PREY and the DIshonored series

It's encouraging to hear that Redfall is playable single player - but I'm worried that maybe Arkane is moving away from Sim and more toward co-op action.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What are you even playing? An Arkane game? Or something else altogether? No clue what you're talking about, lol. The genre isn't called "sim" and the game probably isn't called "this" as you keep repeating. Playing "this". Moving on to "this". What?!

Edit: ok so Dishonored 2, finally, lol. You really made a thread without mentioning the game in the title or anywhere else even, lol. Just saw the edit after refreshing the page. I still need a CPU upgrade to play Dishonored 2 well, the first was ace though.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
What are you even playing? An Arkane game? Or something else altogether? No clue what you're talking about, lol. The genre isn't called "sim" and the game probably isn't called "this" as you keep repeating. Playing this. Moving on to this. What?!

IMMERSIVE SIM

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
IMMERSIVE SIM
Yes, you can't just shorten it to sim. That just says simulator. Which means something else altogether. It only means something when it's the full name of the genre, immersive sim, not as just the actual words' meaning which is used for all kinds of other things.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
I thought that Deathloop was awesome. And Prey was game of the generation last gen.
They are certainly different games and I think that Arkane wanted to simplify many things to appease to biggest possible audience. But it is playing at it's strength and while clearly focusing on action, there is enough of a choice in terms of gameplay offerings.
Story? not so much. But that did not bother me too much.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Prey was game of the generation last gen.

my-man-denzel-washington.gif

Each time I've gone back to Dishonored 1, Dishonored 2, and Prey, I've liked them more than the prior playthrough--and I liked them all to begin with.

In an industry where the focus is on moving onto the next big thing, games like these don't get the recognition from the masses I think they deserve. It is what it is.

Meifu

What are you even playing? An Arkane game? Or something else altogether? No clue what you're talking about, lol. The genre isn't called "sim" and the game probably isn't called "this" as you keep repeating. Playing "this". Moving on to "this". What?!

Edit: ok so Dishonored 2, finally, lol. You really made a thread without mentioning the game in the title or anywhere else even, lol. Just saw the edit after refreshing the page. I still need a CPU upgrade to play Dishonored 2 well, the first was ace though.
hahahah im so sorry my brother - i realized at first i put DIshonrerd in the title then my post was more Arkane general related so you caught me before i could make that :)

Fbh

Yeah Arkane is pretty cool, though I'm playing Deathloop at the moment and so far it's just ok. IMO it has some interesting ideas but the execution is lacking.
Either way I think Arkane will probably have to change their approach a bit moving forward (which they are already doing with the new game being Co-op focused). Sadly they are in this situation where they games tend to review well but sell poorly

Laptop1991

The Dishonored's and Prey are great games, loved the stories, characters and location's and progression, but Deathloop doesn't interest me, respawning on the same map constantly feels like a deathmatch multiplayer game to me and i get bored seeing the same level over and over, and doing the same thing constantly i hope Arkane goes back to making the previous titles.

As for Redfall, solo isn't the same thing as singleplayer with Zenimax/BGS games after Fallout 4, i hope to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

BlueLena

Neo Member
I appreciate they probably felt the need to mix up their design approach with Deathloop, but I really hope they move back to the Dishonored/Prey format at some point in the future after Redfall. Playing the same levels over and over again in Deathloop was not fun at all for me and the characters/story/writing/tone were beyond cringeworthy. I couldn't stomach it for more than a couple of hours before extreme boredom and irritation set in, where as I never get bored of going back to the Dishonored or Prey games to enjoy either the characters, story or the different approaches you can take to complete the objectives.

Sadly the Redfall trailer makes the game look like a generic L4D clone which seems such a waste of their talents as a studio, so thats a pass for me unless the trailer isn't really doing the game justice.

Ozriel

M$FT
It's encouraging to hear that Redfall is playable single player - but I'm worried that maybe Arkane is moving away from Sim and more toward co-op action.

At this point, Arkane devs are probably tired of reassuring folks that Redfall is firmly an immersive Sim like they're used to making.

I think the only thing that would probably rile them up more is...

Sadly the Redfall trailer makes the game look like a generic L4D clone which seems such a waste of their talents as a studio, so thats a pass for me unless the trailer isn't really doing the game justice.

...the tired 'Left 4 Dead' comparisons people make

I finished Prey early this year and, after a slow start, was completely hooked and couldn't get enough.

I'd already completed Dishonoured 2 last year, and I have Deathloop downloaded via game pass but haven't started it yet.

Arkane, at least in my opinion, are doing something a bit different, something unique, and they have their own distinctive style - something that isn't that common in gaming.

If you see a screenshot you know immediately it's an Arkane game.

I can only think of Naughty Dog, and maybe Bethesda (though not necessarily in a good way), as developers whose games you can immediately identify just by the art style.

I'm having a blast with Deathloop. I've played each area in every time of day more than once now and keep finding new ways to get things done, it's been great. Low point is the AI are straight up brainlets, but it's actually been kind of fun messing with them. So far, I haven't played an Arkane game I didn't enjoy.

Top Bottom