• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkanoid: Eternal Battle releases 10/27/22. New Trailer/Crossplay,/ Steam Demo with mouse support

00_Zer0

The classic brick breaking game by Taito is getting a "neo retro" make over with the release of Arkanoid: Eternal Battle on 10/27/22.

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/10/ark...launches-october-27-limited-edition-announced

Of course there is classic single player like the original, but the real "meat" of the game is Eternal Battle mode, which pits 25 players from across all platforms against each other in a last man standing type mode(winner is always the one with the highest score).

Crossplay comes standard on all platforms. PC, Switch, XBox, and Playstation platforms.

A free demo is up on Steam right now for all to try, and to get a feel for what the eternal battle mode is going for. What's great about the Steam version is that it has mouse and keyboard support as well as controller support. Hopefully all platforms have mouse support, because having mouse and spinner support on PC will be an advantage over controller players. Plus it's more fun that way!

Finally, limited edition physical versions will be available. I found a link for physical copies on Play-Asia, but it may be available in the US too.

https://www.play-asia.com/search/arkanoid+eternal+battle

I can't wait to buy this on Steam. I will double dip on a physical edition if console versions have mouse support.

Last edited:

Jennings

Will buy day one on Xbox. I've said time and time again we need more high quality modernized arcade games. I'm sick of waiting five years for AAA studios to ship turgid movie games. Give me gameplay-centric experiences. Pump them out all year long. Dev times on this stuff is an fraction of some AAA piece of junk.

The Pac-Man Championship games came far too long ago.

I would kill for a Richochet Xtreme remake on Xbox.

Last edited:

Aenima

Arkanoid was the 1st game i ever played back in the Commodore 64. Not interested in a battle royale version, but cool to see it back after all these years, even if there are multiple clones all over the place.

00_Zer0

Arkanoid was the 1st game i ever played back in the Commodore 64. Not interested in a battle royale version, but cool to see it back after all these years, even if there are multiple clones all over the place.
Please look at this trailer. There is something for everyone in this game.
The "Neo" mode is a modernized version of the single player arcade experience that we all know and love.

The "Retro" mode is an emulated version of the classic arcade game. Then there is local muliplayer as well as Eternal Battle online mode. Overall, it's looking like a really good package.

Holammer

C64 version with the Atari 2600 paddle was awesome for its day.
Maybe a flick stick style [rotate the analogue stick] controller scheme could emulate the experience and give more precision.

Kadve

TIL: Arkanoid and Breakout were completely different things.

Seriously. I had always assumed they where different names for the same game (or at least part of the same series). Having never looked closer over what relationship they had to another and when they where made until now.

Last edited:

Thanati

Pffft. Give me Shatter any day! Way better than this.

(Yes, I know Shatter was an Arkanoid clone, but it's still better than this)

SScorpio

Will buy day one on Xbox. I've said time and time again we need more high quality modernized arcade games. I'm sick of waiting five years for AAA studios to ship turgid movie games. Give me gameplay-centric experiences. Pump them out all year long. Dev times on this stuff is an fraction of some AAA piece of junk.

The Pac-Man Championship games came far too long ago.

I would kill for a Richochet Xtreme remake on Xbox.
Have you gotten any of the Atari Recharged releases? They've done Centipede, Breakout, Asteroids, Black Widow, and Missile Command.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
£35 seems a bit too much for me. I can imagine myself playing it for an hour every now and again. I'll probably get it on sale next year, unless the hype on the BR mode is too much to resist.

MiguelItUp

Arkanoid was so tight, I'll definitely give this a whirl, haha.

I love how the music in the trailer feels so over the top compared to the gameplay itself, lol.

VN1X

Banned
It's listed on Amazon - same price for PS4/5 and Switch.

That's the limited edition physical version, so perhaps the digital standard version will be cheaper.
Ah thank fook lol.

Yeah I imagine on Steam it'll be cheaper but I can still see them try and sell this for 20eu or higher. It's a 10eu buy at best. I mean I like Arkanoid but also it's Arkanoid. You know.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Ah thank fook lol.

Yeah I imagine on Steam it'll be cheaper but I can still see them try and sell this for 20eu or higher. It's a 10eu buy at best. I mean I like Arkanoid but also it's Arkanoid. You know.
Ha! I didn't want to say that in case people got upset amidst all the nostalgia but yes, I was thinking a tenner or less

Top Bottom