• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armed Fantasia developers went to Sony over and over again but got shutdown each time.

PJX

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/09/arm...erness-tgs-2022-interview-with-akifumi-kaneko

In the video announcing the Double Kickstarter with you and Machida-san, you all suggest that JRPGs are not as popular as they once were. Why do you think that is?

Kaneko: "Of course there are still very popular JRPGs like Persona 5, but with Persona 5that's the fifth installment. If it's a part of series that already has a first game, it's alright, but when it comes to making a new JRPG, Japanese publishers just won't take the risk. In my case, I went to Sony over and over again, but nothing came of it. It's not so much that JRPGs aren't popular, its that publishers won't let us make them."

Look like Sony wasn't having it. I wonder why they didn't go to Nintendo then? Maybe they did and got rejected also.

Fbh

JRPG really aren't that popular anymore unless they have a well established name like Final Fantasy attached to them.
As of December of 2021 Xenoblade 2 had "only" sold like 2.5 million units and it's a first party Nintendo game on the Switch, a console where Nintendo can usually release anything they want and sell 250 million copies in a week.

Why would you go to Sony to publish your JRPG?

Because it's a spiritual successor to a Sony published game from the Ps1 era.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Back in the day publishers would send you massive documents for you to fill out, request tons of footage or story boards, and require lengthy SWOT presentations before they would send your material to a focus group.

Now they look at your kickstarter “interest” and “social inroads” by region, and demographics to determine if your game is publishable.

Some even go as far as to request part of your kickstarter funds as fuel for marketing campaigns.

Kuranghi

I thought it was saying some members of a developer called Fantasia went round to Sony over and over armed with weapons of some sort. I thought, I don't know whats weirder that they thought that was appropriate or that they got away with it multiple times.

Barakov

Thankfully, there's other avenues for games like these to get made. It got funded on kickstarter so there's enough interest in a Wild Arms spiritual successor so there's obviously enough interest. I'll take a new Wild Arms-esque game over a "new" Sony exclusive any day of the week.

Labadal

The Kickstarter isn't enough.

My guess is that this campaign is there to make some publisher out there interested in funding the rest of the development.

Showing potential publishers that there is interest in the project will help immensely.

SSfox

Wow, i actually missed this news... Holy shit no comment ...

giphy.gif

Thankfully, there's other avenues for games like these to get made. It got funded on kickstarter so there's enough interest in a Wild Arms spiritual successor so there's obviously enough interest. I'll take a new Wild Arms-esque game over a "new" Sony exclusive any day of the week.

You and 60k other people.

Top Bottom