• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon will launch on August 25, 2023. New Trailer released.

Bartski

Gold Member
via
https://multiplayer.it/articoli/armored-core-6-intervista-esclusiva.html

The game seems to have a lot of new mechanics compared to the past. Let me start from the movement: it is clearly slower than the speed of Armored Core For Answer and more similar to the pace seen in Verdict Day. Are there still advanced movement techniques such as the multiple quickboost (item 1 of the glossary) with certain configurations, or do you have tried to go back to the roots to offer a slower and more reasoned experience?

Yamamura:
It's hard to say precisely... in terms of movement the average speed is probably somewhere between Armored Core V and Armored Core III. However, the pace of attack and defense against enemies is much more intense than in the past, the flow of battles in general is more rhythmic, so overall the speed perceived during battles is comparable to that of Armored Core 4. I think the combat will feel pretty fast.

Staying with the movement, in the trailer at a certain point the legs seem to have new maneuvers. A light mech stops a rolling enemy with boosters, while a tank appears to be able to slide and ram enemies. Have you added moves like this?

Yamamura:
Your legs specifically control your mech's basic movement, and there's a lot of variety in your choices. To give you an example, tank legs can now drift drift, quadrupedal mechs can float in the air… we tried to make each set of legs have a specific behavior and affect the feel of movement.

Other really interesting elements are the changes to laser blades and shields (entries 2 and 3 of the glossary). The former seem to have completely new moves, while the shields seem more effective in defense. Is this actually the case? And are shields still equippable parts, or are they now an ever-present defensive option on the mech?

Yamamura:
Let's start with shields. Shields are a separate weapon category, so they are not always attached to the mech, it depends on the player's preference and it is possible to strategically equip them when deemed necessary, or choose to equip another weapon in their slot.

But to answer your question about melee weapons and blades... this is actually a point we've been focusing on a lot in the new Armored Core. The series is famous for shooting and is generally geared towards that, so we made a mental note that we wanted to add more variety to melee weapons by giving them more individuality. In the original trailer, for example, you can see the classic Pilebunker stabbing an opponent, or cluster bombs at close range. We worked hard to make all these weapons have unique animations, much more variety and specific characteristics. There are also various other weapons: chainsaws, laser spears, and so on.

There are also a lot of new weapons in fact, aren't there? An energy whip and a rotating double laser blade are seen in the trailer. How many weapon types have you added roughly?

Ogura:
In terms of exact numbers, I'm afraid you'll have to wait until the game is released to find out. There are a myriad of options to choose from however, and I don't think players will feel limited.

Yamamura: Armored Core 6 is a very action-oriented game, we've done everything to make the level of action much higher and more refined than its predecessors, and this directly ties back to what we did with the weapons. Not only parameters and statistics are important this time, but also the feeling of a weapon, the actions it can perform, its behavior in a confrontation, etc. There are many differences in the performance of a weapon in a battle situation…many players this time will probably choose based on their personal preferences and not just because of the numbers.

In the gameplay shown there was no interface, yet enemy targeting felt extremely stable, almost as if it were fixed targeting. Will it be necessary to aim in this Armored Core, and still depends on the FCS (item 4 of the glossary), or have things changed?

Ogura:
Just to clarify, in the video you saw the HUD was removed just to make it clearer what happens on screen, but of course the HUD will exist in the game similar to the past.

Yamamura: Speaking of aiming, Armored Core 6 is a very action oriented game compared to the previous games. Therefore, rather than focusing on aiming, we will have to concentrate on the movements of the enemy, and on finding the right windows to attack. There will therefore be new elements related to this aspect.

The bosses will be very different from previous Armored Cores. This seems to be enhanced by coral, and it's really scary
Is the Primal Armor (Glossary entry 5) still there? Because from the gameplay videos it seems so, and since there is also the Assault Armor (item 6 of the glossary) the Kojima particles (item 7 of the glossary) would also seem to be part of this universe.

Ogura:
*giggles when hearing about "Kojima particles"

Yamamura: (amused) Yes, as you mentioned, both Primal Armor and Assault Armor are also in Armored Core 6. But since you brought in the Kojima particles… Armored Core 6 is a whole new universe, a sort of reboot. So there aren't necessarily links to previous installments in the series. We explained the origin of Assault Armor and Primal Armor a little differently this time.

Interesting, so there are no links to the past as far as narrative. But the protagonist is an "enhanced human" right? How much does this element affect the narrative? Is it by any chance a way to re-propose the Human Plus system (item 8 of the glossary) seen in the original chapters in the game?

Yamamura:
Correct, the protagonist is an augmented human in this case. To be specific, it is an "old generation" of enhanced human, modified in detail to best drive the Armored Cores. The result of the operation limits the protagonist's ability to experience human emotions, and this obviously affects the narrative. As the game progresses you get more information about it, what's going on behind the scenes, and the state of the protagonist.

Years of development have obviously greatly influenced your approach and this Armored Core. Is that why the maps seem larger and more complex? And has this resulted in longer missions, or can we expect similar durations to past games?

Yamamura:
We split the answer between maps and missions in this case. As you mentioned, we certainly used a lot of the know-how and experience we gained from working on souls in this Armored Core, and in terms of map design obviously the knowledge gained played a big part. The maps are more complex this time around, there's a lot more verticality and they're more extensive. We believe you will immediately notice how there has been more effort in general in their structuring.

Speaking instead of the structure of the missions, the quick ones with specific objectives to complete still exist in Armored Core 6, but, referring to what was said about the design of the maps, there are also longer missions, which will see you explore the megastructures and the environment that they are part of the game setting. There is definitely more variety in the game's missions.

So do the longer missions have checkpoints of some sort, or are they just meant to be very challenging and have to be done all over again if you fail to complete them?

Yamamura:
The answer is yes, there are checkpoints in missions, but they are automatic checkpoints. When you reach a certain point in the mission, the game automatically saves your progress.

During the trailer there was also a scan (entry 9 of the glossary). Is it a similar system to the one seen in Armored Core V, or does it have different functionality?

Yamamura:
Yes, the scan you saw has other functions as well. You can use it to see the positioning of enemies behind obstacles, and it also allows you to see the contents of containers, for example, which sometimes have parts or other objects inside them.
How did you try to make the customization system more intuitive and accessible without sacrificing complexity? Are there more detailed tutorials or did you do it in another way?

Yamamura:
we don't want any misunderstandings, so let's be clear that assembly hasn't gotten "easier" in the game. The system is just as complex as it used to be, and offers users the desired depth if they like to tinker like this. However, there are also players who only want to change the aesthetics of the mech without delving too deeply into the systems, and that's fine too, so we worked to make the learning process more intuitive, especially during the first few levels of the game . We want players to slowly get used to how assembly works, without being thrown into the mass of numbers right away. There is also, more specifically, a training simulator that allows you to see examples of Armored Cores, study the basics of various actions, the mechanics related to the assembly and more. We worked hard to make assembly understandable after the initial approach.

I would like to talk about PVP now. Is it a focus of the game and have you worked on the online infrastructure in any way, or is it secondary to the single-player campaign?

Yamamura:
Primary focus is singleplayer, offline campaign. PVP is a separate mode that does not tie into the campaign in any way.

Is there still tuning (glossary entry 10) in the game?

Yamamura:
Yes it still exists, and I think it's much easier to understand than the assembly mechanics.

But how do the back weapons work this time? Are they specific categories like in Armored Core 4, or is it possible to also slot primary weapons like in V?

Yamamura:
They have their own specific category, with many options including missile launchers. That said, through tuning the operating system, which we mentioned earlier, you can unlock an ability that allows you to swap weapons in your hand for weapons on your back. It doesn't mean you can use a primary weapon on your back, it equates to having two slots to choose from.

What would you like to say to newcomers to the saga? Do you think the public is now ready for a series as complex as Armored Core after the huge success of your most recent games?

Ogura, Kitao:
Speaking to newbies, there are two things we would like them to know about when it comes to Armored Core. One is the dynamic three-dimensional action that is only possible with these mechs. The other is the depth of the assembly, the ability to change the behavior and appearance of your mech down to the smallest detail. The key points of Armored Core are these, they always have been, and we believe there is much to discover for those who have never approached the series.

Yamamura: Armored Cores can fly in all directions, equip multiple weapons at once, and the combat is really dynamic and aggressive, with precise pacing. It is these aspects that have contributed to the longevity of the series. Much of the fun comes from the player's ability to tweak the gameplay experience through customization, and we believe there's a lot newbies will appreciate in all of this.

Glossary​

1 - Quickboost - Mutually cancelable instant boosts that are the core of movement in Armored Core 4 and For Answer.
2- Shields: in some Armored Cores, they are equippable pieces. Normally they do not negate damage, but only dampen it considerably if actively used
3- Melee Weapons: Weapon attacks of this type were fixed in previous Armored Cores. Only in some did they vary according to the selected legs
4- FCS: a component that regulates the accuracy and speed of targeting. In chapters prior to 4, his choice also affects the visual area within which enemies can be targeted.
5- Primal Armor: a defensive stat present only in Armored Core 4 and For Answer, it dampens the damage taken and is represented by an energy field around the mech
6- Assault Armor: A sort of finishing move that hits an area when used, and consumes all Primal Armor. Only present in Armored Core 4 and For Answer
7- Kojima Particles: An incredibly polluting fictional particle, which is the origin of both Primal Armor and Assault Armor. It is the discovery of him that has allowed the technological evolutions at the base of Armored Core 4 and For Answer. It shouldn't have any connections to the well-known director, if you're wondering.
8- Human Plus: a curious way of lowering the difficulty present in the Armored Cores up to 3. If you get too much into battle by failing often, you are "boosted" through this very dangerous operation, which offers significant bonuses to your alter ego.
9- Scan Mode: in Armored Core V it is an activated mode that shows the data of enemy mechs, but during activation you cannot shoot.
10- Tuning: this is an option that allows you to spend points to enhance some of the mech's characteristics, such as the transportable weight or targeting speed, for example. It has been present since Armored Core 4, although some previous chapters had options with similar functionality.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I haven't seen this specific criticism voiced yet...but I think the art direction kinda sucks here.

It's just a generic Elden Ring esque nightmare world with purples and blacks everywhere and it butts into the Mech concept pretty harshly.

Mechs are cool because they're massive, futuristic military equipment with crazy payloads and abilities. That works great when you're walking in an environment the player understands (ie green grass, blue oceans, relatable buildings etc). These mechs should be surrounded by an environment we can relate to in order to frame how fun mech designs are.

What they've done here is throw the player into a world that's hard to relate to. The sense of scale and believability is completely thrown off. You can't tell if these mechs are 8 feet tall or 800 feet tall because there's nothing in the environment that grounds them.

Still getting it day 1 but the From Software blinders are shielding this game from a lot of valid criticism.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I haven't seen this specific criticism voiced yet...but I think the art direction kinda sucks here.

It's just a generic Elden Ring esque nightmare world with purples and blacks everywhere and it butts into the Mech concept pretty harshly.

Mechs are cool because they're massive, futuristic military equipment with crazy payloads and abilities. That works great when you're walking in an environment the player understands (ie green grass, blue oceans, relatable buildings etc). These mechs should be surrounded by an environment we can relate to in order to frame how fun mech designs are.

What they've done here is throw the player into a world that's hard to relate to. The sense of scale and believability is completely thrown off. You can't tell if these mechs are 8 feet tall or 800 feet tall because there's nothing in the environment that grounds them.

Still getting it day 1 but the From Software blinders are shielding this game from a lot of valid criticism.
Got you covered fam

CGNoire

you can unlock an ability that allows you to swap weapons in your hand for weapons on your back.

I dont like the sound of this at all. AC isnt an RPG its way closer to a sim.
Swapping weapons to back has always been there from the start. Buying parts that allow additonal functions fits but not this. I hope its a miscommunication and abilites here refers to a part you purchase.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I actually LOOVED art direction they going for. If you expecting colourful mecha game then don’t play Armored Core series. Especially this 6th when it doesn’t take place on earth.

I'm not necessarily asking for colorful, but Mechs should feel like hulking sci fi beasts. The Ace Combat games seem to do a good job blending a grounded world with fantastical boss designs. The juxtaposition works there. I guess this works for me better aesthetically (Mech Warrior 5)...

MechWarrior-5_-Mercenaries_20211002172139-scaled.jpg

mechwarrior-5-hud-1.jpg

MW5Screenshot1a.jpg

To each their own though. I don't care too much about art direction so I'm still hoping Rubicon turns out great.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm not necessarily asking for colorful, but Mechs should feel like hulking sci fi beasts. The Ace Combat games seem to do a good job blending a grounded world with fantastical boss designs. The juxtaposition works there. I guess this works for me better aesthetically (Mech Warrior 5)...

mechwarrior-5-hud-1.jpg

MW5Screenshot1a.jpg

To each their own though. I don't care too much about art direction so I'm still hoping Rubicon turns out great.
I personally find generic city boring I much prefer this type of style.
52849076063_8f7868cdce_4k.jpg

FnTN09O.png

2Lruewo.png

How many people will come into this game expecting a souls-like experience? I'm betting the majority of "games journalists" and "influencers" will stubbornly refuse to let go of the idea that it is a souls-like game and will try to frame everything as "like Dark Souls" (like what they always do, I suppose).

mechwarrior-5-hud-1.jpg

MW5Screenshot1a.jpg

Yeah I get what you’re saying.

Naked Lunch

Not sure I like the idea of a full story reboot. Why name it Armored Core 6 then?
Theres years of history they can revisit and add cameos - like White Glint, Ninebreaker and such.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Man I wish the 360 games were back-compat on Xbone/SeX. I’d like to at least try those two out before the new one comes out.

I still don't understand why they weren't made backwards compatible to be honest, there were no weird music/trademarks involved so, it must have been a graphics/code problem ? (i.e, broken gfx etc).
That, or maybe a complete lack of oversight as usual, especially now that everyone and their grandma's are into FROM games, then again, they ported the 2 otogi games so...

I still don't understand why they weren't made backwards compatible to be honest, there were no weird music/trademarks involved so, it must have been a graphics/code problem ? (i.e, broken gfx etc).
That, or maybe a complete lack of oversight as usual, especially now that everyone and their grandma's are into FROM games, then again, they ported the 2 otogi games so...
Yeah I wanna try Otogi sometime too. Been waiting for them to go on sale because I think they’re a little more expensive than other Xbox originals.

That being said I’m way more into mechs.

Not sure I like the idea of a full story reboot. Why name it Armored Core 6 then?
Theres years of history they can revisit and add cameos - like White Glint, Ninebreaker and such.
Did they say total reboot? I thought they said the story was just unrelated to prior games. Like the story stands on it's own and you don't need prior knowledge of the series to follow it.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just saw where they say its a whole new universe.

Last edited:

The art style actually sold me on this game. It has an eerie Terminator 1 vibe, like "way past human salvation" levels of technological nightmare. Maybe that's not what the series used to be but I fucking dig it.

simpatico

I had a dream that this had a SHMUP level that ended up being universally praised as the best part of the GOTY. Now I'm really counting on this happening.

Top Bottom