• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon will launch on August 25, 2023. New Trailer released.

Apocryphon

I suspect the majority of Froms current player base won’t like this. I have played all of the previous games; some good, some awful, most mediocre, and it sounds like the gameplay won’t be changing much. The sense of scale is there and the world looks pretty good, but it isn’t going to play anything like a Souls game. Hopefully they knock it out of the park but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it rake in a bunch of 6/10 reviews. We’ll see. The trailer looks ok, but it wasn’t as good as the announcement trailer, and as usual the dialogue is cheesy as fuck and about as bad as the Ace Combat series 😂

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I suspect the majority of Froms current player base won’t like this. I have played all of the previous games; some good, some awful, most mediocre, and it sounds like the gameplay won’t be changing much. The sense of scale is there and the world looks pretty good, but it isn’t going to play anything like a Souls game. Hopefully they knock it out of the park but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it rake in a bunch of 6/10 reviews. We’ll see. The trailer looks ok, but it wasn’t as good as the announcement trailer, and as usual the dialogue is cheesy as fuck and about as bad as the Ace Combat series 😂

Its not the old days where one comes out every 12-18 months, so a new AC is fairly novel in 2023. It will prolly get satisfactory 8/10 reviews and be generally well received as a fun arcadey experience, much like the Ace Combat you mentioned (7 is well regarded). I agree with you that people expecting Souls will be disappointed but we have gameplay to distinguish it now so its kinda their fault if they fall in that trap.

YukiOnna

Still can't believe Armored Core is back.

It looks like a proper sequel of the previous games and the new movement speed looks gud. The melee weapons are what I'm most excited about.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
H4OOU8c.jpg
Shampoo Shredder GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Armored Core 8/26
Starfield 9/06
Spiderman 2 9/?

oh, my lord
oh my lord. 3 games. what are we going to do!
hint - look at 2011. This is nothing lol

Anyway. This year I am buying Armored core and Spiderman for sure

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'll wait to see less trailer "gameplay" and more gameplay "gameplay" before deciding to jump on this. I don't know anything about AC, but this was giving me major NIER vibes for some reason (maybe it was the movement of the mechs). I'm guessing you customize your mech in this - and that all those machines are different "builds." I dunno, hard to get excited about this without the context of knowing the franchise history.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Not something I'm interested in playing, but From don't miss. I'm sure this will be a great game for those who like mech combat.

Last edited:
I'll wait to see less trailer "gameplay" and more gameplay "gameplay" before deciding to jump on this. I don't know anything about AC, but this was giving me major NIER vibes for some reason (maybe it was the movement of the mechs). I'm guessing you customize your mech in this - and that all those machines are different "builds." I dunno, hard to get excited about this without the context of knowing the franchise history.
Franchise was legendary in PS1 and PS2 era and then moved to solid 6/10 territory thereafter with a few good ones in between. It was almost an annual release for a good while.

wow, I was thinking early next year, happy to be wrong. Super close to Baldur's Gate 3, which is a bummer, guess we'll see which game sinks the hooks deeper!

Comandr

Never played an AC game before. Not sure that I'm feeling this one. The narrative voice over sounded like a lot of anime nonsense. Visually I found the game very poor. An extremely muted color palette combined with fairly complicated designs made it just visually muddy to me. It was very hard to get a sense of place or presence from anything. I'll try it when its on PS+ next February.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Looks rad. Hope it controls well. Wonder what the structure is like. World map with missions opening up? Some HQ or hangar after every mission? Just menus? Continuous gameplay from place to place? Lol @ concern trolls, move on if it's not for you, what's the point in trying to convince others it's bad or pretending people will be scammed (by gameplay footage, lol) into buying something they don't like and you're oh so worried about the backlash over that, wtf, there will be plenty details/videos if not a demo for people to decide and they can find it cool/hype/:messenger_fire: even if not for them 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Looks pretty rad. Hope it controls well. Wonder what the game structure is like. World map with missions opening up? Some HQ\/hangar after every mission? Just menus? Continuous gameplay from place to place? Lol @ concern trollers, move on if it's not for you, what's the point in trying to convince others it's not for them or pretend people will be scammed into buying something they don't like and you're oh so worried about the backlash over that, wtf., there will be plenty more gameplay videos if not a demo for people to decide and they can still find it cool even if not for them.
Not sure if world map, but doesn't sound like its back to hangar and menus this time, but it says its mission based:
"It's an intricate and multi-layered world, brimming with mega-structures and enormous underground facilities built by its former inhabitants. These structures cover a planetary surface wracked with extreme cold and contamination in the aftermath of the great disaster, and the player will be exploring these various environments as they proceed," says game director Masaru Yamamura.

The expansive environments will deliver an incredible sense of scale, maintaining the quality we've come to expect from FromSoftware's world-design maestros. And with your Armored Core's (AC for short) advanced movement skills, you'll be able to explore these large, open spaces to your heart's content. You'll be encountering lots of different scenery and objectives as you advance through the game's mission-based progression structure (like previous entries).

"There will be missions where you're fighting across sweeping battlefields–very combat-oriented," Yamamura explains. "But you'll sometimes be recovering data logs from wreckage and doing other side objectives too."

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Looks nothing like Dark Souls gameplay at all.
Looks straight up Verdict Day with maybe a touch of For Answer boosting mechanics.
Fuck all those fake Armored Core fans hoping it would be 'souls-like'.

My prayers have been answered. So glad the series is back!

I can only hope we get an acceptable framerate on next gen at least - the environments look too detailed for their own good - and might affect the framerate.

Boooy this one is polarizing. It's either ultra hype or doom and gloom lol. I'm getting my ticket for the hype train personally.

The older games were pretty mediocre, but if one company can breathe life into something it's Fromsoftware. I guess mech games in general aren't for everyone like knighty, swordy, dragony games though 😂

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
oh my lord. 3 games. what are we going to do!
hint - look at 2011. This is nothing lol

Anyway. This year I am buying Armored core and Spiderman for sure
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor just came out. And Tears of the Kingdom, SF 6, Baldur's Gate III, and FFXVI are also coming out soon. These are all huge franchises.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
i don't need the premium edition
I was struggling with the same thing this morning and ultimately ended up getting it. The price isn't going to kill me. If I really regret it down the line, I could sell the statue for more than the whole package itself. People have AC fever right now. The model prices have skyrocketed. But I don't plan to sell it.

SJRB

Gold Member
That was metal as fuck, but I still need to see 5 minutes of actual gameplay to fully understand this game.

I dont like to blindly put my trust in a developer. I think I rented an Armored Core game back during the ps1 days. Must not have liked it. I have no idea if this is something I'll like but I'll get it day 1 anyway. It'll probably be great. I can't see From making a weak game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I just need to see more of what this game actually is. Two trailers now and I'm interested but most of it still remains a bit of a mystery.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
That looked very last gen'y, the backgrounds looked incredible and give a sense of scale to the environments but up close it was all very sparse, looked interesting but I was honestly expecting it to look better

Top Bottom