• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon won’t “just be a sci-fi Soulslike,” Hidetaka Miyazaki has said in a new interview discussing the game.

Draugoth

Gold Member
FjyS0YQWIAAioit

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon won’t “just be a sci-fi Soulslike,” according to Hidetaka Miyazaki. Speaking to IGN in a new interview, the FromSoftware lead said that he had “not been making a conscious effort to try to direct [Armored Core VI] towards more Soulsborne type gameplay.”

The revival of the mech series was announced during The Game Awards, which also saw Fromsoftware take home the Game of the Year award for Elden Ring. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon director Masaru Yamamura also spoke to IGN about the game’s boss battles, and what fans should expect.

“Boss battles are the highlight of the game in this title,”
Yamamura told IGN in a statement. “The essence of the battles, in which the player reads the enemy’s moves and then plays games with them, is of course provided, as is typical of FromSoftware.

In this title, both the enemy and your own machine are aggressive and violent in their attacks. We are developing the game so that players can enjoy the dynamic and intense boss battles that only mechas can offer, along with the unique aspects of AC, such as how to assemble the right parts to take on the strongest enemies.”

Published by Bandai Namco, the sixth instalment marks the first new Armored Core game in more than a decade, the last being Armored Core V back in 2012. Back in January, some players reported that they had received a survey revealing the first details of the game.

I have a feeling this is going to be awesome. I'm expecting super fast paced combat, lots of explosions and lasers and shit you have to dodge.
I was thinking about that, aren't the mechs in the old Armored Core games actually sort of clunky and slow? I think it would be cool for them to design the game around a slower style mech as opposed to the hyper anime kind since there is already so much of the latter and so little of the former.

Mephisto40

I was thinking about that, aren't the mechs in the old Armored Core games actually sort of clunky and slow? I think it would be cool for them to design the game around a slower style mech as opposed to the hyper anime kind since there is already so much of the latter and so little of the former.
The mechs in Armored Core : For Answer were very much gundam wing style mechs that could move hyper fast when needed, but also had some weapons you could pick that took a long time to charge up and use

tbh if they slowed the mechs down the game would be very boring, as a lot of the maps are pretty big and having to navigate them with a slow mech would completely kill the gameplay. You could build mechas that used tank tracks and other slow moving parts in the previous games, but nobody who played the game online used them because it would put you at a significant disadvantage just being a sitting duck with huge firepower, and I can't remember a single time these parts were a good option in the campaign

Last edited:
The mechs in Armored Core : For Answer were very much gundam wing style mechs that could move hyper fast when needed, but also had some weapons you could pick that took a long time to charge up and use

tbh if they slowed the mechs down the game would be very boring, as a lot of the maps are pretty big and having to navigate them with a slow mech would completely kill the gameplay. You could build mechas that used tank tracks and other slow moving parts in the previous games, but nobody who played the game online used them because it would put you at a significant disadvantage just being a sitting duck with huge firepower, and I can't remember a single time these parts were a good option in the campaign
I see, honestly I think the only one I played myself was the original AC and I remember it being really really slow and hard to control, but that could just be because it was a Playstation 1 game made by From lol

Reactions: Isa

Naked Lunch

The follwups to For Answer, Armored Core V and Verdict Day were at least twice as slow as For Answer, maybe even more.
There are even mechs builds and weapons in V where you have to sit stationary to fire. So the gameplay was significantly slowed down. Sure you could build fast mechs - but you could also build slow, even stationary tanks.

Thats part of the fun of Armored Core - playing the same missions with new builds makes it a whole new game. Say you get good enough to trounce the whole game in a fast mech - its a whole other challenge to try tank builds. It keeps the replay value of AC games very high if you are into trying all the different gameplay. I kinda mark it similar to using different jet types for sorties in the Ace Combat games but Armored Core is way way more in depth. Very high replay value.

But yes, Im not sure they nailed that balance in combat vs online human players of Armored Core - as most agile tanks could destroy the slower ones with a skilled player.

Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom