• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art For Art's Sake - Captivating Comic Illustrations

Comics are something I haven't had much interaction with on NeoGAF, but there's bound to be some appreciation of them due to the endless media of the DC/MC universes, and that's not even mentioning manga-mania in Eastern Asia. Illustrations have been around since the dawn of mankind and they've allowed us to share stories, convey emotions and relive the past. Comic books are no exception and are a new breed of those same cave paintings, albeit with more detail and no limits on what we can portray, no longer shackled by reality and it's constraints. Perhaps you're a fan of a particular artist and their style, or a certain illustration for its iconic reputation or feelings of nostalgia? The dreamchild of this thread were those very sweeping landscapes populated with fantastical characters and unforgettable stories, those images painted on our minds, but cherished in our hearts.

Rules:

Maximum of two submissions. Comics have two pages (Splash pages are one entry).
Comic book artwork only. Manga and similar media consisting of images is allowed.
NFSW entries are welcome, though use spoiler tags and follow NeoGAF guidelines.

Mine:

First Page

Book: Batman Black and White Anthology
Artist: Alex Ross

Batman-scars-Alex-Ross.jpg

As a long time DC fanboy and lover of Batman, this is my favourite illustration of the Caped Crusader. Alex Ross showcases more humanity in the Dark Knight than Zach Snyder did in all of his movies. The human cost of the endless war against crime and corruption, the map of scars on Bruce Wayne's back are something of legend, so brutal and yet so poetic and beautiful at the same time. The looming shadow and piercing glare of the costume looking over him, judging him for the life he chose to lead, asking "what the fuck are you doing?", as if he had an answer to give.

Second Page

Superman: Day of Doom #4
Artist: Bill Sienkiewicz

718uwc8cX1L.jpg

After Superman's death in the early 1990s there was a hole in the DC universe, we had lost America's golden child. And whist it only lasted for a couple of months it was still ballsy for DC to kill their flagship hero. This 2003 collected series reflects upon that time period of the DCU coming to terms with Superman's absence. The fourth issue features a sombre image of the last son of Krypton standing amongst the gloomy tombstones as the wind blows into the night.

Doom85

I absolutely love Tatsuki Fujimoto’s art. He’s best known for Chainsaw Man, but he also did another series Fire Punch and several one-shots.

Absolutely brutal moment from Chainsaw Man:

Q1cbkqh.jpg

An extremely emotional moment in his one-shot Look Back, conveying this girl’s emotions of finally finding someone who appreciates her manga, all conveyed without words.

DxNoVst.jpg

Very mild spoilers of a moment in Chainsaw Man past the anime:

I love the image of Denji and Aki quietly looking out into the snow. And Fujimoto conveys so much in this page, the snow would naturally once remind Aki what happened to his family but now he can look at in peace, and the calendar behind him being a metaphor for the passage of time, showing how Aki and Denji have changed over time but also serving as a possible foreboding warning that this peaceful moment will not last forever.

txrz4ti.jpg

Last edited:
I absolutely love Tatsuki Fujimoto’s art. He’s best known for Chainsaw Man, but he also did another series Fire Punch and several one-shots.

Absolutely brutal moment from Chainsaw Man:

Q1cbkqh.jpg

An extremely emotional moment in his one-shot Look Back, conveying this girl’s emotions of finally finding someone who appreciates her manga, all conveyed without words.

Very mild spoilers of a moment in Chainsaw Man past the anime:

I love the image of Denji and Aki quietly looking out into the snow. And Fujimoto conveys so much in this page, the snow would naturally once remind Aki what happened to his family but now he can look at in peace, and the calendar behind him being a metaphor for the passage of time, showing how Aki and Denji have changed over time but also serving as a possible foreboding warning that this peaceful moment will not last forever.
I can't even see what's going on in the first picture. Sometimes too much detail needs much less detail.
You are already dead.

Doom85

I can't even see what's going on in the first picture. Sometimes too much detail needs much less detail.

I mean, you’re looking at it out of context. If one knows what Chainsaw Man and Bat Devil look like, I’d be baffled if they couldn’t see what’s going on in the picture.

Alx

Some European artists for a change :

Grzegorz Rosinski
Honestly he has no business being that good for such a mass market medium. In his last creations (I think he's mostly retired now), the most random box would be executed like a full painting.

p7orCMm.jpg

Philippe Druillet
A classic oldie, probably better known in the US through the Heavy Metal publications. Unique and instantly recognizable style. Another artist who probably put much more effort in his drawings than he was supposed to.

1oL4t0i.jpg

Doom85

I'm assuming it's FotNS, he has that rectangular face we all know from that series.

No, it’s from Berserk, it’s a classic image of Guts. I was honestly close to putting a triggered emote on that post as I thought you were making some sort of tasteless joke about the mangaka‘s death, then I realized you simply got it mixed up with FotNS.

CGNoire

Grzegorz Rosinski
Honestly he has no business being that good for such a mass market medium. In his last creations (I think he's mostly retired now), the most random box would be executed like a full painting.

p7orCMm.jpg

Philippe Druillet
A classic oldie, probably better known in the US through the Heavy Metal publications. Unique and instantly recognizable style. Another artist who probably put much more effort in his drawings than he was supposed to.

1oL4t0i.jpg
Love Druillet. I wonder how a many of the old eurocomic guard is still with us?
I know Enki is still kicking it.

RIP Moebius, Aspiri, Gimenez, Corben , Frezzato etc...

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

Grzegorz Rosinski

p7orCMm.jpg
I absolutely adore Thorgal, probably my favorite comic of all time (with Metabaron close second).

Trilobit

Shaun Tan - The Arrival

IY5axvy_d.webp

Amazing graphic novel about migration and the stories you bring with you and the ones you create in your new country. The book has no text, but the illustrations are so amazing that you don't need any. The country is made up and fantastical, but bears resemblance to USA.

---

Simon Stålenhag

mikael1.jpg

His illustrations that depict a futuristic 80s in Sweden are so gorgeous and oozing with atmosphere. I was quite disappointed in the TV show based on his art as it didn't capture the world right. I wish we could get a Swedish production, but with the same productions values though.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
JH Williams III's Batwoman is easily the most impressive comic book art I have ever seen. Just Google it and be amazed.

LimanimaPT

Shaun Tan - The Arrival

IY5axvy_d.webp

Amazing graphic novel about migration and the stories you bring with you and the ones you create in your new country. The book has no text, but the illustrations are so amazing that you don't need any. The country is made up and fantastical, but bears resemblance to USA.

---

Simon Stålenhag

mikael1.jpg

His illustrations that depict a futuristic 80s in Sweden are so gorgeous and oozing with atmosphere. I was quite disappointed in the TV show based on his art as it didn't capture the world right. I wish we could get a Swedish production, but with the same productions values though.
Yes, this art is absolutely amazing. No tv show can capture this.

SirTerry-T

Bernie Wrightson "Frankenstein".
One of the greatest examples of black and white "comic" art.
VOmFoNP.jpg

Brian Bolland - Judge Dredd "Judge Death Lives"
One of the greatest single panels of comic art. Iconic really.
8jYiFqu.jpg

CAPSOL

Bernie Wrightson "Frankenstein".
One of the greatest examples of black and white "comic" art.
VOmFoNP.jpg

Brian Bolland - Judge Dredd "Judge Death Lives"
One of the greatest single panels of comic art. Iconic really.
8jYiFqu.jpg
You sir know what's up! Bernie Wrightson and Brian Bolland are legends

CAPSOL

I'm going with legendary artist Barry Windsor-Smith and one of the best up in coming creators, Dan Mora.

Weapon X by Barry Windsor-Smith

0AjWYJT.jpg

Shazam (new incoming series) by Dan Mora

mOmeHxo.jpg

Top Bottom