• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Article: PS5 players prefer 60 fps over 30

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

recursive

Leave it to Sony fans to start holding back the generation due to this forced 60fps. Think of how much more they could do if they didn't have to allow for that.

Coffee No GIF by Amazon Prime Video
I will take 60fps over another 300p's and barely noticeable ray tracing any day. Fortunately I play PC so I don't have to suffer.

Topher

Gold Member
Now make another poll if you prefer good or bad graphics /s
I know my opinions are considered trash around here but hear me out. I am not trying to shame anyone or force 4k30 down on you.
Games like tlou2, uc4, bloodborne and many other ps4 and earlier games were 30 and had ground breaking graphics and we all loved it!
If this gen can deliver ground breaking graphics again but at 60fps? perfect. But I doubt it and I might choose graphics if it's not this fucked up slow 30fps like in Demons Souls 4k30 mode. This is the worst example of 30fps.

Also. It feels like people are somehow only now in 2022 waking up to framerate? We've all been playing 60, 120 and 144 for years and decades.
I've never played 60 before consoles aside from 90s pc games with locked fps like Turok1.
And because of that, I perfectly understand what people who only now discovered 60fps feel. it feels like you can't go back but no. With years and experience, you will stop caring less and play what you want... as long as it's not stupidly broken.

There was a point I would never consider playing lower than 60fps and now that I recall it, it was not at the beginning of my pc gaming around 1997 but later, around 2001 when I got that sweet eizo 120hz crt and discovered that there is such a thing as refresh rate lol.
Then I was very concerned with it and for good few years I got very technical with pc stuff. About until 2008 when I got 360. Then I stopped caring again and just played amazing looking games like gta iv or gears.
Around the end of 2011-2012 I went back hard on pc and same thing as before - 60fps+ no matter what.
Around 2017 I've got ps4 slim but this time I didn't go hard on it as I've started experimenting with HFR lcds like 144, 240hz and so on.
Around that time I realized that I don't care lol. With 5-15 minutes of playing(or cheat, play at lower fps, then switch tou your target and brain = cheated), I get used to 30 or 60fps and believe me, going back from 1080p 240h to 4k60 ips required some getting used to and it is visible at first. 60hz only looks smooth because You've not played at 240hz. I started disliking souls games because these are only 60fps there and I didn't like that I focused too much on this.
But I've also realized that switching is easy for me and that good graphics stay with me for longer and are more important for me. I got quickly used to fps but shitty 1080p 240hz monitor quality was trash all the time.
I cannot stand VA monitor ghosting, ips glow, va gamma shift and all that crap. Stable, 4k image with least possible aliasing is what I PERSONALLY like the most. Quality DLSS if possible is chef's kiss.

So PERSONALYLY I prefer graphics and tech to high framerate. Aliasing and stuff is a bit more distracting for me. Thankfully, nowadays, even 1440p60 releases have almost pristine Image Quality, so no complaints here.
The choice of modes on consoles is a bit of a "choose what you dislike less" rather than "choose what you prefer" but it is what it is and people have a choice.
But everyone who experiences 4k hdr native image on OLED, should at least understand my choice and opinion and please respect it. I am very annoyed by constant trolling and hate towards my opinion and it's not doing good for me. So please be considerate and less selfish.

BTW. Isn't it kinda tiresome how often this topic comes in a spotlight recently? Every week we have raging 30 vs 60fps discussion and 30fps hate and this and that... like cmon wtih this hypocrisy. Everyone is now too good for this or that and devs need to get their shit together and whatever they do, make it right. I am looking at you bluepoint and that terrible 4k30 des mode.

Edit: And if You plan to release 40hz or vrr mode for a game... for the love of god DO IT ON RELEASE, Not after I finish the game. Of course I would've played it with vrr or 40hz mode if it was there on release. Looking at you.... Ratchet, UC4 remaster, Horizon FW... like WTF sony

Just a few thoughts while reading your post:

-This wouldn't be a topic if devs offered the options gamers clearly want.

-I have the larger model of the exact same TV you have so not sure how that is supposed to elevate any single point of view.

-Respecting people's opinions on the subject works both ways. For example, just a day ago a guy here on GAF called out folks wanting higher frame rate option as entitled children. So singling out "30fps hate" doesn't make any sense to me or how having an opinion that doesn't align with yours is somehow hypocrisy.

charlie brown lucy GIF by Maudit

Just when PS5 players were enjoying 60fps here comes new Gen games.

I'd say that poll probably represents the same concerns from Xbox gamers as well.

I maybe choose 60 fps over 30 fps if game have 2 modes and the different is hardly noticable like HFW.
But i'm totally fine if the game only has 30 fps mode.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If they have to choose between dropping resolution and framerate, I would always choose resolution. You can barely notice the difference with a drop to 1440p, but a framerate drop is noticeable. It changes the feel of the game.
Depends how close you sit.
1440p looks like trash in some games with desk viewing distance

VN1X

Banned
Well duh, why would anyone prefer worse performance?!

I mean I know we have some degenerates on this board but thankfully they're only a vocal minority.

PSYGN

Strange poll, it's like asking do you like $50 or $100 without saying at what cost.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
NOBODY prefers just worse performance.
Now.... stable, possibly low input 30fps price for the state of the art, pushing industry graphics? yeah. maybe.
You lot are way too obsessed by purty graphics.

Art style > graphics and performance > visual fidelity any day of the week. A game can look like the most amazing impressive thing ever but when it's not fun to play (or barely offers any interactivity at that) then higher performance will always remain king. It's also proven when you look at games like TLOU being remastered for 60fps or when you play stuff like God of War (2018) at higher framerates. It simply becomes a better experience.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I’m fine with 30 for RPG and horror. Shooting, slashing, racing, fighting, and platforming should be 60.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You lot are way too obsessed by purty graphics.
I replayed gow 2018 at 60 fps on ps5 this year and it was fantastic. I liked it more than back in 2018
It played just as I remember on my ps4 slim in 2018 lol which of course is not true

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Well duh, why would anyone prefer worse performance?!

I mean I know we have some degenerates on this board but thankfully they're only a vocal minority.

Certain players believe low framerate gives some cinematic feel to their game or something, especially for some single player action adventure 3rd person blockbuster stuffs.

DaGwaphics

NOBODY prefers just worse performance.
Now.... stable, possibly low input 30fps price for the state of the art, pushing industry graphics? yeah. maybe.

I don't have a strong preference either way to be honest. Long-time console user so outside of the shooters I've mostly been stuck at 30 anyway, but obviously 60 is smoother. LOL

But, it's true that these polls are very deceptive in general because the option that's more positively written is going to gain traction (with fps as the only consideration the lower number becomes the negative). You could easily reverse the question by asking if users would prefer ground breaking graphics/ai/physics at 30fps or stick with cross-gen at 60 and you'd get different results.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Obviously.
Everybody will vote for 60fps or higher.
Just like everyone thinks those converted 60fps videos on YouTube look good.
They don't.
While I agree they should always aim for it if it's not possible with what they want to do that fine as long as what they choose to target is stable and locked.
Majority of those votes probably fit in the same mentality of those who convert everything to 60fps category.

Paasei

Would be weird if it wasn’t the case. 30 fps playable? Sure, sometimes. Desirable? No, never or lie about it.

Now make another poll if you prefer good or bad graphics /s
I know my opinions are considered trash around here but hear me out. I am not trying to shame anyone or force 4k30 down on you.
Games like tlou2, uc4, bloodborne and many other ps4 and earlier games were 30 and had ground breaking graphics and we all loved it!
If this gen can deliver ground breaking graphics again but at 60fps? perfect. But I doubt it and I might choose graphics if it's not this fucked up slow 30fps like in Demons Souls 4k30 mode. This is the worst example of 30fps.

Also. It feels like people are somehow only now in 2022 waking up to framerate? We've all been playing 60, 120 and 144 for years and decades.
I've never played 60 before consoles aside from 90s pc games with locked fps like Turok1.
And because of that, I perfectly understand what people who only now discovered 60fps feel. it feels like you can't go back but no. With years and experience, you will stop caring less and play what you want... as long as it's not stupidly broken.

There was a point I would never consider playing lower than 60fps and now that I recall it, it was not at the beginning of my pc gaming around 1997 but later, around 2001 when I got that sweet eizo 120hz crt and discovered that there is such a thing as refresh rate lol.
Then I was very concerned with it and for good few years I got very technical with pc stuff. About until 2008 when I got 360. Then I stopped caring again and just played amazing looking games like gta iv or gears.
Around the end of 2011-2012 I went back hard on pc and same thing as before - 60fps+ no matter what.
Around 2017 I've got ps4 slim but this time I didn't go hard on it as I've started experimenting with HFR lcds like 144, 240hz and so on.
Around that time I realized that I don't care lol. With 5-15 minutes of playing(or cheat, play at lower fps, then switch tou your target and brain = cheated), I get used to 30 or 60fps and believe me, going back from 1080p 240h to 4k60 ips required some getting used to and it is visible at first. 60hz only looks smooth because You've not played at 240hz. I started disliking souls games because these are only 60fps there and I didn't like that I focused too much on this.
But I've also realized that switching is easy for me and that good graphics stay with me for longer and are more important for me. I got quickly used to fps but shitty 1080p 240hz monitor quality was trash all the time.
I cannot stand VA monitor ghosting, ips glow, va gamma shift and all that crap. Stable, 4k image with least possible aliasing is what I PERSONALLY like the most. Quality DLSS if possible is chef's kiss.

So PERSONALYLY I prefer graphics and tech to high framerate. Aliasing and stuff is a bit more distracting for me. Thankfully, nowadays, even 1440p60 releases have almost pristine Image Quality, so no complaints here.
The choice of modes on consoles is a bit of a "choose what you dislike less" rather than "choose what you prefer" but it is what it is and people have a choice.
But everyone who experiences 4k hdr native image on OLED, should at least understand my choice and opinion and please respect it. I am very annoyed by constant trolling and hate towards my opinion and it's not doing good for me. So please be considerate and less selfish.

BTW. Isn't it kinda tiresome how often this topic comes in a spotlight recently? Every week we have raging 30 vs 60fps discussion and 30fps hate and this and that... like cmon wtih this hypocrisy. Everyone is now too good for this or that and devs need to get their shit together and whatever they do, make it right. I am looking at you bluepoint and that terrible 4k30 des mode.

Edit: And if You plan to release 40hz or vrr mode for a game... for the love of god DO IT ON RELEASE, Not after I finish the game. Of course I would've played it with vrr or 40hz mode if it was there on release. Looking at you.... Ratchet, UC4 remaster, Horizon FW... like WTF sony

Exactly, great post.

Framerate should be a conscious decision based upon the type of game that it is.

TLOU1 Remake looks a lot better at native 4K due to the additional clarity. It doesn't need 60 fps, it's a slow game.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I prefer 60 fps since always. I still remember Virtua Fighter 2 on the Saturn, running smoothly at 60 fps. It has been almost 30 years, and we still dont have that consistently

FutureMD

You can’t really control what 3rd-party devs do, but at least 1st-party PS5 games have 60fps options. As I’ve commented before, I see no reason why this won’t continue to be an option.
Well having 100% more CPU and GPU power to work with can open up to substantial graphical improvements, which will sorely be needed if this gen drags on as long if not longer than last gen did.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As long as games give me the option for a 60 fps mode I'm happy. I dont think too many gamers want to go back 20 years when all shooters and sports games ran at 30 fps on console. And that 30 fps wasn't even locked.

twilo99

Why would anyone not prefer the higher frame rate? It makes no sense.

Currently I think the best return on your $ is 1440p at anything above 120fps.

4k/120 is glorious.

1440p/240 and above is glorious.

Top Bottom