• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Article: PS5 players prefer 60 fps over 30

shiru

Banned
What arrogance makes you think you're qualified to speak for all gamers
Good lord, what is wrong with some of you? Learn to fucking read. Read the post I was responding to. Thean read my reply again. I wasn't trying to "speak for all gamers".

WTF are you talking about? Playing a game at less than 30fps is unplayable. It's not richer for anyone. This is an objective truth, not some subjective opinion.
Oh really? Was Shadow of the Colossus unplayable? Could the game have been made at 30fps without sacrifices and compromising the experience? It barely even reaches 20. You are not suggesting Team Ico should have compromised their artistic vision, are you?

Last edited:
it's sentences like these why you folk can't be taken seriously.

20fps games exist, they get played, they are beloved.
how many people do you think enjoyed Ocarina of Time on Switch Online? well, that 20fps game sure is unplayable right? absolutely not playable.

and I must have hallucinated playing through Disaser Report and the majority of its sequel Raw Danger just recently via emulation on my Series X... both locked at 20fps with occasional drops.

crazy how I finished this unpalatable game and loved it, crazy how I finished most of its sequel and will soon finish it at unplayable 20fps.

when the SNES mini came out, guess what the first thing I did was!
I played through Star Fox 2, finally released officially and finished... I had a good time with it, and I bet many had fun with it... well... if that game hits 15fps more than 10% of the time I'd be surprised.

anyone who comes with that nonsense already lost the argument.
20fps is playable, 15fps is also playable, plenty of games ran at such framerates and were loved by millions and got raving reviews as well

Am I in a bizarro world or something?!?!?!

I'm being pranked, aren't I?

Austin? Where u at, you mothafucka!

shiru

Banned
When you have no arguments and have been kicked hard in the nuts, all that's left to do is impotently posting a reaction.

Last edited:
It’s surprising that even with modern tvs, 30 fps is now actually worse than it was on a good crt. And with the cpus on these machines being decent, 60 has always, to date, been posible.

shiru

Banned
it's sentences like these why you folk can't be taken seriously.

20fps games exist, they get played, they are beloved.
how many people do you think enjoyed Ocarina of Time on Switch Online? well, that 20fps game sure is unplayable right? absolutely not playable.

and I must have hallucinated playing through Disaser Report and the majority of its sequel Raw Danger just recently via emulation on my Series X... both locked at 20fps with occasional drops.

crazy how I finished this unpalatable game and loved it, crazy how I finished most of its sequel and will soon finish it at unplayable 20fps.

when the SNES mini came out, guess what the first thing I did was!
I played through Star Fox 2, finally released officially and finished... I had a good time with it, and I bet many had fun with it... well... if that game hits 15fps more than 10% of the time I'd be surprised.

anyone who comes with that nonsense already lost the argument.
20fps is playable, 15fps is also playable, plenty of games ran at such framerates and were loved by millions and got raving reviews as well
I have played the entirety of Doom on the snes and enjoyed it, as well as Star Fox and Perfect Dark, despite all running at 10fps at best. Zelda OoT, one of my favorite games of all time, runs at 20fps. Yet I prefer 60fps over 30 no matter what. And yet, 30fps elitists won't touch a game that runs at anything below 30fps. Such framerate snobs.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
All else equal yeah of course 60fps but look at all the most groundbreaking PS4 games (especially first party, and no we're not counting the PS4 Pro because hardly anyone (in the grand scheme of things) bought one)...

Almost all the arguably next-gen looking first party (or PS4 console exclusive) titles on PS4 were 30fps (unless I'm remembering wrong, including:

- Knack
- Kilzone
- Driveclub
- Infamous
- Bloodborne
- Uncharted 4
- The Order 1886
- Until Dawn
- Beyond Two Souls
- Ratchet & Clank
- Last Guardian
- Heavy Rain
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- God of War
- Spiderman
- Days Gone
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Last of Us Part 2

So yeah it's all well and good to say 60fps no matter what but last generation was pretty clear cut in terms of what performance we could expect from truly next-gen looking titles.

Question is whether there's a logical reason to think the same wouldn't apply this generation.

All else equal yeah of course 60fps but look at all the most groundbreaking PS4 games (especially first party, and no we're not counting the PS4 Pro because hardly anyone (in the grand scheme of things) bought one)...

Almost all the arguably next-gen looking first party (or PS4 console exclusive) titles on PS4 were 30fps (unless I'm remembering wrong, including:

- Knack
- Kilzone
- Driveclub
- Infamous
- Bloodborne
- Uncharted 4
- The Order 1886
- Until Dawn
- Beyond Two Souls
- Ratchet & Clank
- Last Guardian
- Heavy Rain
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- God of War
- Spiderman
- Days Gone
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Last of Us Part 2

So yeah it's all well and good to say 60fps no matter what but last generation was pretty clear cut in terms of what performance we could expect from truly next-gen looking titles.

Question is whether there's a logical reason to think the same wouldn't apply this generation.
Well I guess in theory eventually you would have enough power to make any game you can imagine and still have the headroom for 60 or even higher.

I don't know if we’re there yet I think not but I guess only time will tell.

P.S. lol at including Knack on that list! But your point still stands

Last edited:

shiru

Banned

- Knack
- Kilzone
- Driveclub
- Infamous
- Bloodborne
- Uncharted 4
- The Order 1886
- Until Dawn
- Beyond Two Souls
- Ratchet & Clank
- Last Guardian
- Heavy Rain
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- God of War
- Spiderman
- Days Gone
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Last of Us Part 2

Doom Eternal looks comparable, and better than some of those (Knack). That list proves exactly nothing other than those devs targeted 30fps. I hope you won't suggest both Doom games didn't look 'next-gen' at the time. I struggle to call any of those games 'groundbreaking' in any way

Last edited:

Banned
The correct question should be do you prefer screenshot fidelity or gameplay fidelity

Heart Love GIF by Kochstrasse™

supernova8

Banned
Doom Eternal looks comparable, and better than some of those (Knack). That list proves exactly nothing other than those devs targeted 30fps. I hope you won't suggest both Doom games didn't look 'next-gen' at the time. I struggle to call any of those games 'groundbreaking' in any way

Sure it technically proves nothing without someone asking the devs individually why they targeted 30fps, but I'd wager it's probably not a coincidence (in terms of the hardware limitations at the time) that most of them ended up targeting 30fps.

As for Doom, yeah it looked great at the time. I suppose all I can say is that id's engine is extremely well optimized (and makes full use of Vulkan). Also, (I'll probably get some shit for this) but isn't it really just an arena shooter from the early 90s but with a face lift? I didn't like it (tried the demo, didn't bother buying the game) and that's the impression I got. In that sense, one could argue it isn't representative of how more complex games would run.

(this Gmanlives review, for example, says part of the Doom campaign is basically just mini deathmatch arenas where you have to kill all the enemies and then move on)

Of course we can both cherry pick all day. I think my point still stands.

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
Sure it technically proves nothing without someone asking the devs individually why they targeted 30fps, but I'd wager it's probably not a coincidence (in terms of the hardware limitations at the time) that most of them ended up targeting 30fps.

As for Doom, yeah it looked great at the time. I suppose all I can say is that id's engine is extremely well optimized (and makes full use of Vulkan). Also, (I'll probably get some shit for this) but isn't it really just an arena shooter from the early 90s but with a face lift? I didn't like it (tried the demo, didn't bother buying the game) and that's the impression I got. In that sense, one could argue it isn't representative of how more complex games would run.

(this Gmanlives review, for example, says part of the Doom campaign is basically just mini deathmatch arenas where you have to kill all the enemies and then move on)

Of course we can both cherry pick all day. I think my point still stands.

I mean it's not a revolutionary game, but neither are those games you listed. They are all more of what we had already played before. The Order gets to looks so good by being overly scripted and limited in scope, more than it being 30fps for example. (Also RAD is an incredibly talented studio)

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Also, remember how Naughty Dog and Insomniac used to target 60fps on the ps2? Did Jak & Daxter and R&C look like ps1 titles?

Yeah I think you got me checkmate here.
Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

GG

Also I just checked and found that even MGS2 ran at 60fps and that was definitely not a simple game for its time.

Then again
Got You Reaction GIF by CBS

MGS3 ran at 30fps............ even I'm confused now

Excited Season 1 GIF by The Office

If Kojima had MGS2 running at 60fps then surely (I'm just guessing) he wanted MGS3 to run at 60fps but couldn't for technical reasons (If he wanted 30fps for cinematic reasons you'd think he'd have gone for that on PS2 as well). Perhaps it's because with MGS2 the environments were mostly indoor and therefore relatively easy to render at 60fps. Even the outdoor bits of MGS2 (ie on the Shell) were mostly primitive structures surrounded by the ocean and a whole lot of nothing as surroundings... not exactly hard to render).

There seems to be no rhyme or rhythm to how developers decide whether to target 60fps or 30fps so yeah I guess it will go on forever.

shiru

Banned
Yeah I think you got me checkmate here.

GG

Also I just checked and found that even MGS2 ran at 60fps and that was definitely not a simple game for its time.

Then again

MGS3 ran at 30fps
............ even I'm confused now

If Kojima had MGS2 running at 60fps then surely (I'm just guessing) he wanted MGS3 to run at 60fps but couldn't for technical reasons (If he wanted 30fps for cinematic reasons you'd think he'd have gone for that on PS2 as well). Perhaps it's because with MGS2 the environments were mostly indoor and therefore relatively easy to render at 60fps. Even the outdoor bits of MGS2 (ie on the Shell) were mostly primitive structures surrounded by the ocean and a whole lot of nothing as surroundings... not exactly hard to render).

There seems to be no rhyme or rhythm to how developers decide whether to target 60fps or 30fps so yeah I guess it will go on forever.
Well both Jak & Daxter/Ratchet & Clank had huge open enviroments with long draw distances at 60fps so... I guess Kojima wanted more bloom and vegetation in 3.

Fairly impressive looking 60fps ps2 platformer by Bizarre Creations that easily rivals the best of ND and Insomniac:

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Well Jak & Daxter/Ratchet & Clank had huge open enviroments with long draw distances at 60fps so... I guess Kojima wanted more bloom and vegetation in 3.

Honestly I didn't really even like the look of MGS3. Absolutely shit with all the aliasing back in the day. Loved how clean MGS2 looked.

Anyway back on point, if they (they being developers collectively) can provide generational leaps in visuals and still target 60fps then yeah I'm not complaining at all. I suspect that the native 4K target will go out the window though (in some sense it already has (and should) with all the upscaling technology available).

Last edited:
Well both Jak & Daxter/Ratchet & Clank had huge open enviroments with long draw distances at 60fps so... I guess Kojima wanted more bloom and vegetation in 3.

Fairly impressive looking 60fps ps2 platformer by Bizarre Creations that easily rivals the best of ND and Insomniac:

Oh Wow you really can't admit to being wrong can you!

Yeah it was just the bloom and vegetation in 3. (Lets just pretend the vegetation didn't serve gameplay purpose's) and it's nothing to do with the far bigger more complex levels and more AI's (especially if you include the animals):messenger_blowing_kiss:

Kojima did this last gen by the way MGS5 was 60 Death Stranding was 30. I guess this doesn't count because MGS5 was cross gen or something.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Yeah it was just the bloom and vegetation in 3. (Lets just pretend the vegetation didn't serve gameplay purpose's) and it's nothing to do with the far bigger more complex levels and more AI's (especially if you include the animals):messenger_blowing_kiss:

Kojima did this last gen by the way MGS5 was 60 Death Stranding was 30. I guess this doesn't count because MGS5 was cross gen or something.
So what you're saying is the game had huge gameplay sacrifices to get other gameplay implementations.

Both of you are, wrong and right, it depends on what matters most for each of you.

Last edited:

shiru

Banned

I haven't played it. Have seen videos of it. "far bigger more complex levels"? As in Jak & Daxter? R&C? That platformer video I posted (which you likely didn't see)? Bloom lighting and tons of individual blades of grass/plant leaves (which looked nice but not really necessary to spend that much polygonal and processing budget on it, there are cheaper alternatives) aren't exactly cheap to render on a PS2. The vegetation was also affected by player movement, which was extremely rare at the time. The enemy/animal ai is laughably basic (it's a metal gear solid game after all) And you'd be hard pressed to find more than a handful at a time.
Well yeah. It was built on a last gen engine, designed primarily for previous consoles and started development before the PS4 was even a rumor. It also had a lot of production issues and was developed concurrently with the FOX Engine. DS was developed on the Decima Engine, made by Guerrilla Games, many years into the gen

Last edited:
Easy to forget in the PS3/PS4 era the jaguar CPU was a big problem pushing more than 30fps for some games. Either way the general consensus was push graphics at 30fps.

Devs now have CPU and GPU power more in tandem so they can target 60fps easier but mainly with games taking so long to make and the cost plus cross gen there's a lot of headroom available that can be used for higher frame rates while they adjust to pushing the graphics again.

We could get back to the values of the older games running at 60fps, gamers have had a big taste of 60fps now and can see and feel 30fps is quite inferior, even the much talked about "magical console 30fps" in how smooth it is nonsense.

It will be funny if consoles do generally drop back to 30fps we'll probably hear that "console 30fps" "just something about how smooth it is" "comparable to 60fps" to help cope.

Klosshufvud

- Knack
- Kilzone
- Driveclub
- Infamous
- Bloodborne
- Uncharted 4
- The Order 1886
- Until Dawn
- Beyond Two Souls
- Ratchet & Clank
- Last Guardian
- Heavy Rain
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- God of War
- Spiderman
- Days Gone
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Last of Us Part 2

Some of these are wrong. I believe Killzone was 60 fps (atleast in MP) and Infamous had uncapped frame rate. You're correct on the rest though. I remember The Order stirring up quite the controversy when the lead developer said they chose 30 fps because it was more filmic and thus more accurate to their game. Why they didn't go all the way down to the real cinema 24 fps, he didn't say. And Driveclub was also a bit controversial being 30 fps even back then. This is because it's more or less tradition that arcade races are 60 fps for maximum input responsiveness. Honestly, I didn't like Driveclub. It looks nice in pictures but in motion it is completely stomped by GT Sport. It also had motion blur out the ass which made visibility poor. I'd argue that GT Sport was probably the best looking PS4 game in motion. What's funny is that GoW and R&C both had predecessors running 60 fps on PS2. How much of the 30 fps cap was due to Sony's ambitions of 1080p resolution across the board? Regardless, like others have mentioned, the PS4 was an exceptionally bad console. Its hardware was a gimped low-end GPU and an even worse CPU. You could say the hardware was underwhelming and many games were forced to go through severe downgrades as the initial devkits were rumored to be significantly more powerful than the final hardware.

So what you're saying is the game had huge gameplay sacrifices to get other gameplay implementations.

Both of you are, wrong and right, it depends on what matters most for each of you.
That's been my entire argument this entire thread. That there is FAR more too gameplay that it feeling smooth and enabling better reaction times and Sometimes not always but sometimes devs will bring the the framerates to 30 for gameplay reasons.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong for wanting higher framerate over more NPCs or whatever but it would be nice to be acknowledged that it's not just about graphics

Famipan

As long as there is a 40 fps option in story and graphic heavy third-person games or maybe some JRPGs – I don't mind it not having 60 fps if it has very good graphics.
But all gameplay-heavy games should have 60 fps option.
First-person games should always have a 120hz option, because games like Portal or Doom make me dizzy in 60 fps.

Last edited:
Easy to forget in the PS3/PS4 era the jaguar CPU was a big problem pushing more than 30fps for some games. Either way the general consensus was push graphics at 30fps.

Devs now have CPU and GPU power more in tandem so they can target 60fps easier but mainly with games taking so long to make and the cost plus cross gen there's a lot of headroom available that can be used for higher frame rates while they adjust to pushing the graphics again.

We could get back to the values of the older games running at 60fps, gamers have had a big taste of 60fps now and can see and feel 30fps is quite inferior, even the much talked about "magical console 30fps" in how smooth it is nonsense.

It will be funny if consoles do generally drop back to 30fps we'll probably hear that "console 30fps" "just something about how smooth it is" "comparable to 60fps" to help cope.
To be fair isn't 30fps more tolerable on consoles because of the gamepad? Where as 30fps feels terrible on a mouse?

To be fair isn't 30fps more tolerable on consoles because of the gamepad? Where as 30fps feels terrible on a mouse?

No, what you say is true but separate. It was comparing gamepad use on console vs PC at 30fps, frame times and the exaggerated idea console devs making 30fps so smooth in how they locked it on a single platform. It was slightly better sometimes but 30fps is 30fps ultimately as console gamers across various games now see clearly.

I haven't played it. Have seen videos of it. "far bigger more complex levels"? As in Jak & Daxter? R&C? That platformer video I posted (which you likely didn't see)?
There bigger sure but more complex definitely not you can't just focus on one thing to prove point. They were far bigger and more complex than MGS2 levels who were made by the same dev... but more on that later
Bloom lighting and tons of individual blades of grass/plant leaves (which looked nice but not really necessary to spend that much polygonal and processing budget on it, there are cheaper alternatives) aren't exactly cheap to render on a PS2.
All true I'm sure Kojima had a minimum graphical standard he wanted to achieve buts that the point it's never just one thing. Most Devs want good graphics, good framerate and good game mechanics and make a compromise between all 3. Hell Supernova felt MGS2 looked better than MGS3 in some ways personally you could argue MGS3 sacrificed Framerate and graphics to focus on it's core mechanics.
The vegetation was also affected by player movement, which was extremely rare at the time.
If I remember correctly animals and guards effected the grass as well. It looks nice but also serves the gameplay as well as it's important visual information. Which leads me to another point a lot of nice visual effects can make a game feel better to play or give important feedback to the player e.g. like doom eternals deformation tech. Even Resolution can give more visual clarity to the player
The enemy/animal ai is laughably basic (it's a metal gear solid game after all) And you'd be hard pressed to find more than a handful at a time.
The animal AI was basic sure but the guard AI isn't. It's stupid and can be manipulated but it's far more complex than most games especially at the time. Again it not just one thing its all these things working together
Well yeah. It was built on a last gen engine, designed primarily for previous consoles and started development before the PS4 was even a rumor. It also had a lot of production issues and was developed concurrently with the FOX Engine. DS was developed on the Decima Engine, made by Guerrilla Games, many years into the gen
Hang on so you can compare games made by different devs using different engines to make a point but I can't compare two games made by the same dev because the engine changed and development cycle's were different? C'mon now.

Anyway I'm not sure what the broader point is here MGS5's open world(Other than some racing game's it was the only 60fps open world game I can recall last gen) is far more barren and smaller in scale than DS was. Going to 30 likely allowed Kojima to do this as well as the other mechanic's he wanted to implement

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
Hang on so you can compare games made by different devs using different engines to make a point but I can't compare two games made by the same dev because the engine changed and development cycle's were different? C'mon now.
I'm only making a point, that big and complex levels are not exclusive to 30fps. The levels in MGS3 were really not that big anyways. Certainly not bigger or any more complex than those in the aforementioned games. It also had a lot of indoor scenes that weren't any more complex than those in MGS2. I also want to point out that map size is not the same as level of detail, mesh density or scene complexity. And as I said I haven't played the game, but I'd sooner believe the framerate drop was done for aesthetic purposes rather than any considerable jump in ai or core gameplay complexity. I may be misremembering but I recall Kojima stating in an interview that the reason he decided to go with 30fps in MGS3 was in order to push foliage rendering (which was some of the best ever seen in a game at the time). Regardless, MGS2 was an immense jump from the first one, the reveal blew everyone away and did so without having to sacrifice framerate.

Were there shadows, destruction, reflections* and rain effects like those, in MGS3?

*weren't actual reflections but still

Last edited:
I'm only making a point, that big and complex levels are not exclusive to 30fps. The levels in MGS3 were really not that big anyways. Certainly not bigger or any more complex than those in the aforementioned games. It also had a lot of indoor scenes that weren't any more complex than those in MGS2. I also want to point out that map size is not the same as level of detail, mesh density or scene complexity. And as I said I haven't played the game,
Well arguing aside If you enjoy stealth games i think it's worth punt. One of the classics from that era I think and you can play now in 60fps!
but I'd sooner believe the framerate drop was done for aesthetic purposes rather than any considerable jump in ai or core gameplay complexity.
Can it be both?
I may be misremembering but I recall Kojima stating in an interview that the reason he decided to go with 30fps in MGS3 was in order to push foliage rendering (which was some of the best ever seen in a game at the time).
Fair enough there's not really any game like it from that generation.
Regardless, MGS2 was an immense jump from the first one, the reveal blew everyone away and did so without having to sacrifice framerate.
It definitely was. The level design particularly the big shell was so uninspired though so small and boxy. If that's related to framerate or not I don't know mgs2 and mgs3 are rare cases where a dev has changed framerate in the same generation. MGS3 for whatever reason always seemed way ambitious in its gameplay systems.

Were there shadows, destruction, reflections* and rain effects like those, in MGS3?

*weren't actual reflections but still

Not sure I don't think so. You certainly couldn't shoot apart the bottles and plates like you could in mgs2

proandrad

Good lord, what is wrong with some of you? Learn to fucking read. Read the post I was responding to. Thean read my reply again. I wasn't trying to "speak for all gamers".

Oh really? Was Shadow of the Colossus unplayable? Could the game have been made at 30fps without sacrifices and compromising the experience? It barely even reaches 20. You are not suggesting Team Ico should have compromised their artistic vision, are you?

Shadow of the Colossus should have gotten delayed so the team could have further optimized their engine. It's unreal the pass some people give some video game devs. Learning to work within the limitations of a game engine and console is part of the job.

darrylgorn

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Every single game needs to have the following baseline requirements:

1. 1080p
2. 60 fps
3. Highest (Ultra) graphics settings

Every.
Single.
Fucking.
Game.

everyone-the-professional.gif

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Every single game needs to have the following baseline requirements:

1. 1080p
2. 60 fps
3. Highest (Ultra) graphics settings

Every.
Single.
Fucking.
Game.

everyone-the-professional.gif
lol this is idiotic.
1080p is pure trash.. sorry man but it's 2022 we don't play on 24" monitors.
60fps? What would that help me in a game like Plague tale Requiem? That game might be 30 but it looks fantastic and its great motion blur really smooths it out visually.

I say no game should have NO requirements. Devs should do whatever they fuck they feel to.
If Plague tale requiem wants to do 30fps game but put 30k rats on the screen? AMAZING YES
if call of duty wants to be 60fps? perfect.

I myself prefer fidelity and tech games, so your 1080p60 sounds like hell to me personally.

Last edited:

Excoman

Banned
I played some games at 4K...

Yeah, they looked nicer, but they didn't magically become more fun to play, IMO.

1080p is still optimal resolution for myself.

Pimpbaa

1080p is not enough to resolve modern game textures at full detail (except for Switch games). Massive amounts of detail in games like the PS5 version of Horizon FW would be lost.

darrylgorn

I have to agree, I think it's time to try and at least consider moving past 1080 and make 1440 the new standard.

Of course, this requires convincing millions of people who have no desire to upgrade.

3-4 years at most. Twitch will begin to have higher standard resolutions for streaming and that should help evolve resolution standards for gaming as well. Unless they decide to pull a yt and paywall higher than 1080p.

Last edited:
Top Bottom