• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Article: PS5 players prefer 60 fps over 30

coffinbirth

water-wet-breaking-news.gif

Banned
How come nobody says they can't enjoy movies because they can't make out the motion detail when there's any sort of movement on the screen?

because you don't need to be on the lookout for eventual enemies or important objects while moving the camera about 3x as fast as even the fastest camera pan in any movie.

why do you not just give up with those ridiculous takes? are you really not capable of coming to this conclusion on your own? or do you think people are too stupid to counter that shitty argument you thought of here?

3-4 years at most. Twitch will begin to have higher standard resolutions for streaming and that should help evolve resolution standards for gaming as well. Unless they decide to pull a yt and paywall higher than 1080p.
You are probably right about that, as far as a gradual uptake over the next few years.

because you don't need to be on the lookout for eventual enemies or important objects while moving the camera about 3x as fast as even the fastest camera pan in any movie.

why do you not just give up with those ridiculous takes? are you really not capable of coming to this conclusion on your own? or do you think people are too stupid to counter that shitty argument you thought of here?
My favorite games of all time were all 30fps and I fully enjoyed them. It’s not as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

rofif

Banned

Nonsense. Blabbering nonsense

Trogdor1123

i remembered 30 fps being ok when I was on ps4 but now that I’m on ps5 I really only play at 60fps. well I completely forgot what 30 fps was like and went to go play the lost legacy (the ps+ ps4 collection version) the other day and the 30 fps was almost unbearable. I can’t go back. I played through the game, which is actually pretty great btw, and the whole time I kept thinking how much better 60 fps would make.

no more 30 fps for me. I won’t buy a game with out it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
A lot of people can't stand fast camera pans/movement on movies. Which is why you don't see them very often.
I saw Gemini Man in 120 fps in a Miami theater and it was just weird and I felt motion sick a lot during it and I don't just mean the movie since it sucked so bad

DaGwaphics

If game makers can someone support PC versions with a million configs and infinite sliders compared to the console versions, I dont see how making a whopping TWO console modes (hi fidelity/30 fps and lower fidelity/60 fps) are the most impossible things to do on Earth. No console gamer is asking for 64 different combos of sliders like a PC game.

The issue will be with games built on heavier engines or with RTGI or just a lot of logic running on the CPUs. It might not be possible to cut enough to hit a 60fps target there.

Banned
The issue will be with games built on heavier engines or with RTGI or just a lot of logic running on the CPUs. It might not be possible to cut enough to hit a 60fps target there.

if the game is as terribly made as Gotham Knights maybe the CPU could be the issue, but in a well made game there needs to be a shitload going on at any given time to actually bring these CPUs to the limit enough to only run at 30fps.

and literally any GPU related task can never be too taxing to not work at 60fps on at least multiplatform and Xbox only games as the Series S exists, and any RT implementation that is integral to the game will also need to run on a GPU with 1/3 of the GPU grunt both in raster and RT performance.

so if a GPU with 1/3 the peak performance runs a game at 30fps, then the 3x more powerful one should never have an issue reaching 60fps with similar settings, and often higher settings.

the only 30fps excuse is the CPU this gen, and if that actually is the case then the game better have the most sophisticated physics simulation or AI system in the world.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
PS5 players perfer 60 fps but they're not gonna have a choice in the near future when the truly next gen games start rolling in.... any day now..... hopefully by 2025....

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Christ I really hate the way this argument is always framed!

Lowering framrate isn’t just about graphics it's about gameplay.

Stuff like level design size and scale, physics, amount of enemies, amount of npcs, scale of enemies ( Could the colossi be as big as they were on the ps2 at 60fps?)

60fps is obviously better all things equal but they never are I would take 30fps in a heartbeat for meaningful increases in the all of the above
games almost always play worse at 30 than 60. that's 30 less frames you can react in any given situation. Bleh. There aren't many games that work to help your example either,
Ratchet and Clank has great gameplay, well designed AI and some of the best graphics seen in any 2000s video game. 60fps.
Gran Turismo 3 and 4 have incredibly accurate car physics and extremely realistic visuals for the ps2. 60fps.
Jak and Daxter 1-3 are known for being one of the first open worlds and having nearly 0 loading times. 60fps.
F-Zero GX has incredibly fast gameplay and physics and some extremely amazing visuals to go with it too. 60fps.
Mario Galaxy has Mario hopping from planet to planet, in expansive beautiful galaxies. 60fps
Literally every Call of Duty campaign is known for its spectacle and great visuals. 60fps.
etc etc etc etc etc..... there's too many examples of games like this.

games can have great physics, enemies, scale, all while running at 60fps. the key is optimization. Cutting corners wherre people won't notice and redoing code to be faster and run better, results in better visuals.
You can even see this with Mario 64. Yes, it's 30fps, but a developer by the name of Kaze Emanuar managed to reoptimize and redid almost every bit of the game's rendering engine and code to be faster and run better. The result? the game runs at 60fps without any patches on native hardware.

Meanwhile, trash like Gotham Knights that looks, runs and plays like shit also thinks it's justified in running at 30 with no explanation besides "video games and open worlds are really hard to make you guys" even though Horizon Forbidden West which looks a bajillion times better is optimized so well it can run on a base ps4 and even run on a PS5 at 1440p 60.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Man, do you think 60fps turns the PS5 into an atari or something? You know what else affects all of those things you listed? Resolution. Running your game at 32k (as an absurd example to drive the point home) is going to limit what developers can do elsewhere. Graphics. Having high density meshes and 1 million polygon character models is going to limit what the cpu can do in other areas. So does RT and other effects.
this is exactly why i call BS on that whole "60fps limits gameplay" because at the end of the day nothing limits anything more than resolution. rendering your visuals with more pixels is extremely fucking demanding, its why it took us 3 generations before consoles could play games at a higher resolution than 240p. its why i think these consoles should have targeted 1440p instead, and for more extreme cases 1080p. but you won't be seeing any of the 30fps defenders* arguing that because 'games look like SHIT at 1440p'. It's all about the god damn graphics.

* The artful mincer The artful mincer not you specifically, i just didnt like your reasoning for the 30fps thing

Last edited:
I would love to see how this thread turned out if most PS5 players said they preferred 30 fps over 60. The entertainment in this thread would increase 1000%

Top Bottom