• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Artistic expression-gaf

GeekyDad

Myself, it’s mostly been music throughout my lifetime. I did also love to draw when I was very young, but music became my main creative focus over the years. I also consider certain food dishes I cook in a similar way; they matter to me in some way I can’t really explain with words. But certain things I cook or prepare I would only share on special occasions.

Woodworking, painting, music, words? What is your way of expressing your inner feelings and thoughts?

This is my latest creative endeavor. I had initially asked Grildon Tundy Grildon Tundy to help me work on it because we had previously discussed working together on other future projects. Ultimately, though, it seemed to be something I was meant to say alone. I was afraid (and still am) to share it with you guys. But for years, coming to NeoGAF and participating here has been part of my daily routine. Though I don’t really know any of you outside of this site, well, I still wanted to share with you this intimate side of myself. And this one’s particularly special to me.

Wish you all well.

-GD

mortal

Gold Member
I quite enjoyed the music, and like how it fades out into a more of drones ambient.

The combination of the visual and the music made my mind wander a bit, which was nice. Although the only issue, in my humble opinion, is that they visuals could've been more cohesive to let me get fully lost in it.

GeekyDad

I quite enjoyed the music, and like how it fades out into a more of drones ambient.

The combination of the visual and the music made my mind wander a bit, which was nice. Although the only issue, in my humble opinion, is that they visuals could've been more cohesive to let me get fully lost in it.
Noted, and thank you!

Yeah, I ain't got it in me too much anymore to work through a lot of the complex features (and the thinking they require) of other types of software, and so I, honestly, stuck with a familiar approach: Window Movie Maker. I was so eager to get the idea published, I only worked on the video for about two days, one day finding stock footage, and the next editing it together. The song itself just came to me about a week ago. I feel blessed that I was able to say all of this and share it.

Thank you again.

Myself, it’s mostly been music throughout my lifetime. I did also love to draw when I was very young, but music became my main creative focus over the years. I also consider certain food dishes I cook in a similar way; they matter to me in some way I can’t really explain with words. But certain things I cook or prepare I would only share on special occasions.

Woodworking, painting, music, words? What is your way of expressing your inner feelings and thoughts?

This is my latest creative endeavor. I had initially asked Grildon Tundy Grildon Tundy to help me work on it because we had previously discussed working together on other future projects. Ultimately, though, it seemed to be something I was meant to say alone. I was afraid (and still am) to share it with you guys. But for years, coming to NeoGAF and participating here has been part of my daily routine. Though I don’t really know any of you outside of this site, well, I still wanted to share with you this intimate side of myself. And this one’s particularly special to me.

Wish you all well.

-GD

You're a DILF 😏

GeekyDad

When you said "more cohesive," I took you to mean technically. Or did you mean in terms of storytelling?

mortal

Gold Member
When you said "more cohesive," I took you to mean technically. Or did you mean in terms of storytelling?
More so visually or tonally. You're creative with your use of stock footage, especially given the relatively short time you spent on it. Although using more visually consistent footage (similar color grading, similar lighting, etc) would've lent more to the music I think.
Or even perhaps shooting some original footage yourself or collaborating with a photographer.

The use of stock was almost like story boarding, but felt a bit disjointed given the visual differences between some of the clips used, and not necessarily because of subject.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

More so visually or tonally. You're creative with your use of stock footage, especially given the relatively short time you spent on it. Although using more visually consistent footage (similar color grading, similar lighting, etc) would've lent more to the music I think.
Or even perhaps shooting some original footage yourself or collaborating with a photographer.

The use of stock was almost like story boarding, but felt a bit disjointed given the visual differences between some of the clips used, and not necessarily because of subject.
Hmm...I gotcha. Yeah, I think that this inspiration had been there for a while, but it all of a sudden rose to the surface. I felt almost a desperate need to filter it while it was fresh. Usually, I'll take more time to learn processes I'm either not familiar with or not particular great at. But this one was almost more of a dictation, and I grabbed whatever was near and available and was racing to get everything noted down, almost like Dustin Hoffman in All the President's Men. :D

mortal

Gold Member
Hmm...I gotcha. Yeah, I think that this inspiration had been there for a while, but it all of a sudden rose to the surface. I felt almost a desperate need to filter it while it was fresh. Usually, I'll take more time to learn processes I'm either not familiar with or not particular great at. But this one was almost more of a dictation, and I grabbed whatever was near and available and was racing to get everything noted down, almost like Dustin Hoffman in All the President's Men. :D
I understand. If ones feel compelled or inspired to create something, it's better to act on that than to not act.

GeekyDad

I understand. If ones feel compelled or inspired to create something, it's better to act on that than to not act.
I think that's where the suffering of creating art comes in. I never actually thought of it until you said that. Because if you have a true inspiration, it's something you know you have to say before this window closes, but you also agonize over getting it perfect. But it doesn't seem to be coming from you so much as through you. This song felt like a conversation I was having.

Of course, it could all be in one's own head. Maybe that's why we call it art, a more palatable way of saying mentally...different/changed/damaged. :D Who knows...

Top Bottom