• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arx Fatalis rated for the original Xbox 19 years later

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

image.png

The classic action-RPG Arx Fatalis, the first ever game developed by Arkane Studios, was rated in Brazil yesterday… for the original Xbox.

The game was first released in 2002 for PC and joined the Game Pass for PC catalogue back in June 2021. It was later published for Xbox by DreamCatcher Interactive in the following year, but it was never made Backwards Compatible for any of the newer consoles.

DreamCatcher would later go into administration in 2011 before all its assets were acquired by Nordic Games, which is now known as Embracer Group, the parent company of THQ Nordic.

THQ Nordic, as we know, is one of the biggest supporters of OG Xbox backwards compatibility: seven games published by the company are part of the program, including the original Destroy All Humans, MX Unleashed and Red Faction II.

Ceadeus

How come there has been no other Arx Fatalis since then!?

It's such a good classic. I would be down for another underground adventure for the Xbox. It could be a very nice exclusive for Microsoft to have. Old school Dungeon Crawlers are too rare.

Reactions: Isa

Kadve

How come there has been no other Arx Fatalis since then!?

It's such a good classic. I would be down for another underground adventure for the Xbox. It could be a very nice exclusive for Microsoft to have. Old school Dungeon Crawlers are too rare.
There kinda was. Dark Messiah (of Might and Magic) was meant to be Arx Fatalis 2 before Ubisoft became the publisher and told them to make it part of said Universe (which was a late change and shows as there is practically nothing Might and Magic related it in it. Feeling more like a generic D&D Setting than anything.)

Ironic considering Arx Fatalis was originally developed to be the third Ultima Underworld game, but EA had no interest in a third so it became an original IP instead.

(edit) Also why would XBOXERA talk so much about THQN when Arkane is clearly listed as the publisher? They did self publish the recent re-release after all so i don't see why they wouldn't also own the XBOX version.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

There kinda was. Dark Messiah (of Might and Magic) was meant to be Arx Fatalis 2 before Ubisoft became the publisher and told them to make it part of said Universe (which was a late change and shows as there is practically nothing Might and Magic related it in it. Feeling more like a generic D&D Setting than anything.)

Ironic considering Arx Fatalis was originally developed to be the third Ultima Underworld game, but EA had no interest in a third so it became an original IP instead.

(edit) Also why would XBOXERA talk so much about THQN when Arkane is clearly listed as the publisher? They did self publish the recent re-release after all so i don't see why they wouldn't also own the XBOX version.
I tought Arcane were still owning the IP. Hey i didnt know Dark Messiah was supposed to be the sequel! I loved the game back then but it was no where near as deep as Arx. More action adventure oriented. À la Half Life. Even borrowing the source engine!

Last edited:

Banned
Those were published by Sega back in the days and lately MS and Sega are in good relationship, hope MS makes this happen.

yeah, I will repeat this in any thread related to Xbox backwards compatibility:
WE NEED EVERY SEGA EXCLUSIVE TO BE BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE!

Jet set Radio Future, Otogi, Otogi 2, Crazy Taxi 3, Toejam & Earl 3, Outrun 2, Gunvalkyrie, Sega GT 2000 etc.
all of these are literally only on Xbox, never ported to anything else since...

Last edited:

Havoc2049

image.png

The classic action-RPG Arx Fatalis, the first ever game developed by Arkane Studios, was rated in Brazil yesterday… for the original Xbox.

The game was first released in 2002 for PC and joined the Game Pass for PC catalogue back in June 2021. It was later published for Xbox by DreamCatcher Interactive in the following year, but it was never made Backwards Compatible for any of the newer consoles.

DreamCatcher would later go into administration in 2011 before all its assets were acquired by Nordic Games, which is now known as Embracer Group, the parent company of THQ Nordic.

THQ Nordic, as we know, is one of the biggest supporters of OG Xbox backwards compatibility: seven games published by the company are part of the program, including the original Destroy All Humans, MX Unleashed and Red Faction II.
Cool about Dreamcatcher and THQ Nordic and all, but I'm pretty sure Arx Fatalis is now owned by Microsoft. Arkane was the developer and I thought they owned the Arx Fatalis IP and Arkane was owned by Zenimax, now Microsoft. I thought Arx Fatalis showed up on PC Gamepass around the same time as all the other Bethesda IPs.

If this is true though, maybe it means we will see more backwards compatible OG Xbox games in the near future.

• Thoughtful

Banned
Cool about Dreamcatcher and THQ Nordic and all, but I'm pretty sure Arx Fatalis is now owned by Microsoft. Arkane was the developer and I thought they owned the Arx Fatalis IP and Arkane was owned by Zenimax, now Microsoft. I thought Arx Fatalis showed up on PC Gamepass around the same time as all the other Bethesda IPs.

If this is true though, maybe it means we will see more backwards compatible OG Xbox games in the near future.

this could mean that they might look into making every game of their now owned studios backwards compatible... that would be cool. although not possible for some titles I suppose (those with car/music licensing in the way)

T-Cake

There are murmurings that more BC games are coming on November 15th for the 20th anniversary Xbox stream.

Sygma

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Its one of the very the best rpg of that time, easily. AI is still awesome as of today. Arx Libertatis is a thing of beauty on pc

Last edited:
Top Bottom