• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a 35+ year console gamers. I must admit pc guys are right. Frames over graphics any time!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Up until my ps5, I never had the opitons of toggling 60fps or higher fidelity graphics. Up until this point, I always thought that PC gamers were snobs in needing higher frames and believed 30fps is good enough for anyone. I even always thought before the ps5 release that I would always choose the higher fidelity cause why bother playing at higher frames. BOY WAS I WRONG!

As an exclusive console owner I had the ignorance is bliss mentality. To make a long story short, it's hard to go back to playing many games at 30fps once you feel the fluidity of 60pfs. The 30fps games often feel very sluggish in comparison like they are played in quick sand. Even older games like Diablo 2 benefit greatly from this improved frame rate structure.

I know you can get the highest fidelity and highest frames if money is not an object but for many of us it is. I prefer console gaming due to it's closed eco system and certain exclusives but got to admit the PC gamers were right all along.

Frames>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>graphics!

die-hard-john-mc-clane.gif

Soodanim

I built a PC at the tail end of the PS3 generation precisely for 60fps, and I haven't regretted it one bit. I liked it so much that I got a 144hz G-Sync monitor.

Consoles are getting much better for higher framerates, but the only way to really be sure is PC. For those with the TV for it, 40hz is also a nice improvement over 30 and had we not had 60hz multiples for so long, I'm sure 40 would be plenty for most.

I will say that our brains eventually adapt to whatever we're playing at, so the immediate drop from 60 to 30 makes it feel worse than it ever did for the many years before. The same actually happens when you drop from 120+ to 60, At first you'll swear you can count every single one of those 60 frames when you're moving quickly (driving fast, for example).

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Wait until you discover 120hz+ :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

All jokes aside, I think the input device you use can affect a lot of your perception of responsiveness.

60hz is very nice for a controller, but for KB/M anything under 90hz I find unresponsive. I always aim to 144hz or higher, past 200fps it starts to see diminishing returns. (I mean in responsiveness not fluidity, please don't conflate the two.)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Same amount of time gaming so I say stability is the most important thing.
If that's 30fps or 60fps it doesn't matter.
Either way, the framerate isn't the foundation of a developers vision when they make the game.
Rather a hindrance then anything.

I think what drove this home for me in finality was what I went through with Red Dead 2. At the time I didn't have my latest graphics card; I "only" had my 1070 Ti. At 1440p, Red Dead 2, in even medium settings, can only do about 30fps with that graphics card. But it's a VERY choppy 30fps.

I changed the resolution down to 1080p. At that resolution (with medium/medium-high settings) I was getting 60-70+ fps.

So, for me:

1080p60 >>>>> 1440p30

But now I have a 6900XT graphics card and can "have my cake and eat it too" -- 1440p and high framerates.

Life is good

I went from being just fine with 30fps, only really being bothered when games dipped like AC3 on PS3, I think went down to 20 very often. Now I hate playing games that aren’t 60 FPS, before I buy any back compat games on PS5, I check to see if they got a 60 FPS boost for PS4 Pro or PS5, if not then I don’t buy it.

flying_sq

The best is having an awesome PC then deciding what frame rate you want to cap your game at. I have a 240hz monitor, and unless I am playing some tryhard fps, I normally limit between 90-144fps. When you do that your PC doesn't always sound like it's trying to take off when you boot up a chill game. Sometimes I will limit to 60, but rarely.

Crane

Banned
Maybe for you. I can’t stand 30fps and it isn’t a matter of getting used to it for me.
Play only at 30 fps for a while. Your brain will magic it.

And i have played on everything up to a 240hz monitor(uselees af).

Ppl got a stick in their asses its not even funny. Ps 3 days most console user didnt even know what fps are. They just enjoyed the games. But retardation foundry brainwashed a whole gen.

Ppl got a stick in their asses its not even funny. Ps 3 days most console user didnt even know what fps are. They just enjoyed the games. But retardation foundry brainwashed a whole gen.
From the tone and agitation in your response, sounds like you're the one with a "stick up your ass."

😂

Last edited:

Fbh

I'm still fine with 30fps if it's locked, properly paced and the game has mindblowing visuals or incredible physics or something like that.
But for the vast majority of games, yeah 60fps is way nicer.

Pro tip if you can't target 60 fps but 30 fps doesn't feel right: Target 40 fps instead.

only if you have a 120hz display though

DukeNukem00

Banned

The fact that console gamers had the shittiest games for decades and they were ignorant beyond belief is not something to celebrate. "people were so stupid 15 years ago that they couldnt recognize the shit in front of their eyes. Those were the good days"

Thats not the thing you want to take from this. This was only in console space anyway. Pc gamers knew very well ever since games existed on computers and especially after Voodoo came out mid 90s. There was even a commercial of Voodoo 2 in a magazine with a pic of the card and writing that this is the first gpu to score over 100 FPS in Quake.

Kacho

Gold Member
Lots of people care and now that most games are available on PC it makes sense to game there if performance matters to you.

"There's a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that's obviously where it's to be had," House told the publication. "We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]."

Graphics are the most overrated aspect of gaming I realize more and more as I get older. If a game is as good looking or slightly better than its contemporaries of the generation that tends to be good enough. After that gameplay and art style carry the game much much more. But I think too many gamers will trade alot of gameplay mechanics and design innovation if it means the game is more "photorealistic".

kiphalfton

Just because somebody doesn't know what something is, but is then introduced to it, doesn't mean they can't come around to it. I guess you've never come across something and been receptive to it. Sad life.

Smasher89

Nice, now next step is trying a CRT instead of a HD tv, inputs are so much better (while also being wired). (To bad modern games cant be used on a crt though).

TonyK

I only choose framerate over graphics if there isn't graphical compromises, but if game looks like PS4 in performance mode (Ratchet, Spiderman, AC Valhalla, Cyberpunk, Horizon 2, etc), I choose quality mode, because I bought a Ps5 not a Ps4 pro.

Damigos

60 fps every day all day.
On the new consoles i think there is no game that runs only at 30 fps though (even watch dogs was fixed).
So you actually dont need a pc :)

Top Bottom