• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a 35+ year console gamers. I must admit pc guys are right. Frames over graphics any time!

BossLackey

Gold Member
60 is the minimum. I can't even play some games at 60 like fps competitive games.

For racing and stuff the minimum is 60. Competitive gaming ? 120 is a must

I think for FPS specifically, it's a must, yes. For fighting games, however, 60 FPS is the standard (but I'm sure you weren't really counting that (even though you should be))

DukeNukem00

Banned
60 fps every day all day.
On the new consoles i think there is no game that runs only at 30 fps though (even watch dogs was fixed).
So you actually dont need a pc :)

Lol. Your first mistake is thinking that 60 is a good framerate and smooth. Second mistake was thinking PC gaming is only framerate and not a thousand more things

PhaseJump

Banned
I'd commend on this, but my account would more than likely get banned or at least thread banned. Welcome to the party of enjoying higher framerate. It gets even better above 144hz.

giphy.gif

Ayo Gamer79, you lucky you wasn't around during the dawn of this shit on PC; You probably won't have to deal with getting the wool remove from your eye balls and seeing how console publishers and developers were using you guys with their terrible ass video games using console as an excuse. Old novel games like Deus Ex, Pinball Construction set, Everquest are very old at this point from a technology and where the world is today standpoint.

You're also not going to have go through that experience of getting stab in your back by virgins like Tim Sweeney and that loser Cliffy B by using piracy as another excuse to take advantage of some of the dumb ass people playing on console.

Popup

I prefer 60. You get used to and still appreciate the graphics. You can still recognise a skillful developer when you see one. There are times when silky smooth motion can make everything feel a little too CG, like in cutscenes.

I think everyone appreciates the benefits of frame rates in one way or another, otherwise why not just have a 15FPS mode with even better graphics? Or 120 with lower graphics settings?

Given this, and considering that games are meant to be experienced in more ways than just visuals, 60 seems a good balance for responsiveness, feel, and visuals.

There was a time back in the 80's, when consoles, arcades and home computers were years ahead of (the then business orientated) PC's, running multiple layers of smooth 60fps parallax scrolling with multiple hardware sprites. 30FPS was hated just as much back then.

MikeM

Still can have 120fps fun with consoles. Check out some lists online.

I’ll stick with console so long as I get 60fps+ experiences. As soon as everything goes back to 30fps, i’m out. For good.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Play only at 30 fps for a while. Your brain will magic it.

And i have played on everything up to a 240hz monitor(uselees af).

Ppl got a stick in their asses its not even funny. Ps 3 days most console user didnt even know what fps are. They just enjoyed the games. But retardation foundry brainwashed a whole gen.
I had no choice and I tried it with a lower end PC that player everything at console settings/framerate but 720p instead... It was good for some games, for some others I wish I could at least do 1080p... Then got a 1060p 3gb that cannot handle 1080p and 60fps on a lot of games and even up keeping my 720p on those but at 60fps lol... It just doesn't feel the same, it's like when I'm just moving around I can see my PC suffering to move the game, it hurts lol, but resolution? Ok, I'm good then if it runs properly

yamaci17

I had no choice and I tried it with a lower end PC that player everything at console settings/framerate but 720p instead... It was good for some games, for some others I wish I could at least do 1080p... Then got a 1060p 3gb that cannot handle 1080p and 60fps on a lot of games and even up keeping my 720p on those but at 60fps lol... It just doesn't feel the same, it's like when I'm just moving around I can see my PC suffering to move the game, it hurts lol, but resolution? Ok, I'm good then if it runs properly
for proper 30 fps on pc, some special tweaks are essential

- use gamepad
- leave motion blur on
- enable vsync on nv control panel
- set the framerate to 30 manually with rivatuner or to 30 with nv frame limiter

this way u can have the coveted "console 30 fps" that most people talk about

for mouse and keyboard, you can still enjoy 30 fps games. i do. but it really needs some time to get used to it

if u have a VRR screen... ignore everything i've said.

Last edited:

lem0n

Console guy here, since the mid-90s. Frames over graphics fidelity every day. My reasoning is that you get to enjoy silky smooth frames constantly, while the shock and awe of beautiful graphics tends to wear off over time.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Better framerate is always better but I personally I'm not sensitive enough to skip great game just because it run on 30FPS.

I played Bloodbrone even with frame pacing issue and I still had a blast playing it.

yamaci17

Better framerate is always better but I personally I'm not sensitive enough to skip great game just because it run on 30FPS.

I played Bloodbrone even with frame pacing issue and I still had a blast playing it.
i have to say last guardian on base ps4 was a torture in terms of fps but did not hold me back from enjoying it

on pc i really enjoy settling on 40 or 50 fps trading more resolution with FPS however

rofif

Banned
Welcome to pc gaming.
Now you can finally forget what gaming is all about and focus on pain !

I am rolling my eyes so hard reading this thread.
"30 is not playable"
"60 is not even enough"
People... welcome to fucking 2001. Where have you been... You can get used to everything btw
edit: Guys take it easy, I am being sarcastic. Welcome to pc gaming and enjoy it

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
i can go back and forth

it only takes me a few minutes to get used to 30fps
yep exactly.
Not a big deal if that 30fps game is worth it and it's responsive.
Compare 30fps in bloodborne to 30fps in Demons Souls.
Somehow they made Demons souls really really laggy.
BB has framepacing issues? Nobody fucking noticed it when they played the game themselves before reading it on the internet....

eh, the framerate i need depends on the game.

and maybe im just old fashioned, but sometimes i like it when the framerate chugs (e.g., metal slug).

Kataploom

Gold Member
Gameplay
Art Style
Framerate
Story/Lore

Graphics
I think I'd be the only one around here that would put art style first, if a highly praised game has a boring art style and theme for me, I won't pass through it... RDR2 and GTA are examples of games I don't think I'll ever play because of that lol

Ev1L AuRoN

- use gamepad
- leave motion blur on
- set the framerate to 30 manually with rivatuner or to 30 with nv frame limiter

for mouse and keyboard, you can still enjoy 30 fps games. i do. but it really needs some time to get used to it

The problem is that most games on PC assume you will run them at 60 or higher, so the animations are in 60fps and look jerky on capped 30fps output.

The absolute best graphics that can get a game to 60 frames is pretty much it. 30, or god help us something worse, is just a goddamn (bloodshot) eyesore.

Kataploom

Gold Member

- use gamepad
- leave motion blur on

I did all that, I had no choice literally, so I had to go with my resources... Having said that, Killer is Dead on PC and Spyro on switch are two games that I can play at 30... Apart from Zelda games, for some reason they're so smooth even then...

BossLackey

Gold Member
I think I'd be the only one around here that would put art style first, if a highly praised game has a boring art style and theme for me, I won't pass through it... RDR2 and GTA are examples of games I don't think I'll ever play because of that lol

Art is very important to me, but there are "ugly" game out there (namely some indies) that play so well that I still very much enjoy them.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Welcome to the party of people with better standards for gameplay.

- use gamepad
- leave motion blur on

Teach us master!

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Wrong.

Visuals > Performance. Always. In life too. Example below.

30 > 60

Graphics > Performance.

Beautiful 30fps visuals
girl-sexy.gif

Amazing performance at 60fps
5a8feb0e1292f72f95e20dffd7c7569b.jpg

enjoy your frames :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_poop:

Give me better visuals. Period

yamaci17

Welcome to the party of people with better standards for gameplay.

Teach us master!

for starters, u have to tone down your sensitivity, that's a must. so you have less intense judder when panning the camera with a mouse
then, try setting the game to 20 fps
play 5-10 minutes (begrudgingly)
then set it to 30 fps
it will feel much better. and of course, don't try 60 fps at all. once you get a taste of that, it may seem impossible to return back to 30 fps.
tho, its pointless, just have decent cpu and reduce resolution/graphics wherever itis required to attain 60 fps :messenger_smiling: but i can stillsettle solidly on 40 fps with a gamepad, it just feelsreally good to me, no cap

You're leaving?
Yeah I'm done with this place. Too many console warriors run rampant on this site. You can't say shit against them, otherwise you get banned. And this is in PC threads mind you. How the fuck do you let that happen? Moderation is ass. I already got my money back from gold with my CC company (what's the point when you get silenced?). It's the same place as several years ago when they got called out as Sony fanboys, it's still true to this day. Look at how many people left the site from being known as a Sony fanboy site, it's still true to this day. Fuck this place EviLore EviLore I've tagged you several times, and you have never once replied, yet you have neo members who will tag you, and you reply immediate. Fuck you gaf, lame place to talk about games, without being able to talk about games. They ran every single person off the site, who actually had knowledge about the gaming industry. I called out GOW coming to PC from insider sources, and gota fucking ban for it. Same with days gone. Fuck this place. Also fuck the lame ass people like rofif rofif who constantly claim up be on PC, yet every single post is negative against PC gamers. Screen shot this.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Yeah I'm done with this place. Too many console warriors run rampant on this site. You can't say shit against them, otherwise you get banned. And this is in PC threads mind you. How the fuck do you let that happen? Moderation is ass. I already got my money back from gold with my CC company (what's the point when you get silenced?). It's the same place as several years ago when they got called out as Sony fanboys, it's still true to this day. Look at how many people left the site from being known as a Sony fanboy site, it's still true to this day. Fuck this place EviLore EviLore I've tagged you several times, and you have never once replied, yet you have neo members who will tag you, and you reply immediate. Fuck you gaf, lame place to talk about games, without being able to talk about games. They ran every single person off the site, who actually had knowledge about the gaming industry. I called out GOW coming to PC from insider sources, and gota fucking ban for it. Same with days gone. Fuck this place. Also fuck the lame ass people like rofif rofif who constantly claim up be on PC, yet every single post is negative against PC gamers. Screen shot this.
Word of advice, the internet is toxic and do not let any other internet user affect your feelings. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. The simple fact is the major majority of the internet is a mean nasty place if you take what others say to heart. Stay strong with your beliefs and fuck what other people say. Eventually you will find a group of people who share in your beliefs. Just use it for info and a little entertainment and nothing more.

rofif

Banned
what?!
How am I a bad guy now ?!
Dude it was a joke about pain and misery. I game more on pc than a console :p

And if You are serious then the truth is that console gamers are way more attacked by so called pc elite. I feel attacked every day even though I am both a peasant and elite. You guys just cannot comprehend that there are people who have both and are able to critique pc game and not just blindly spend thousands

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
You constantly antagonize pc gamers. Every single post. You never stop. Just say you are a ps gamer only. You barely game on pc bro. Look at your post history.
You barely follow my posts then and take it too seriously...
I just posted few days ago that in last 2 years I've finished 20 games on pc ad 10 on console.... yay. I use it daily man, what is your problem. I didn't get 3080 to trash it.

Do You really not understand I can have a pc and also hate it with a part of my soul ?! Do you not understand that a person can own something, spent money on it and STILL SEE HONEST FLAWS ?!
This is what NOT BEING A FANBOY is like. To be able to see flaws.
I have 25 years of pc gaming behind me. I know it's strengths and flaws. It is amazing but I am not a fool to blindly praise it every occasion there is.

If You can't understand that, you really should leave then. I am allowed my opinion, no matter if you understand it or not.
Even if I really hated pc gaming with passion, am I not allowed that ?! wtf.
edit: And yes - my post in this thread was sarcastic. a joke man...
edit2: Every person with opinion is banned here. There are people who really are fanboys of x or y and there is nothing wrong with that. Just as you might like tits or ass :p
I am not antagonizing anyone
edit3: You can ask my friends. I've built many pcs for them over the years. but I hate the pc so much !?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You can make it work even in 60hz screens. I use borderless window, fps limiter and v-sync off, i get no input lag nor tearing.
That only works if you have a screen that supports 40Hz or a VRR/Freesync/Gsync screen that has a range that goes down that low else
Your frames are being displayed non-uniformly and you will get a persistent albeit predictable stutter/judder/frame delay when frames are repeated or skipped.
40 doesnt divide into 60 equally, so the game/screen has to figure something out.
Might as well just lock 30 or reduce settings to get to 60.
^Note this is basically a 30 vs 60 thread and people are fine with 30 so I imagine people are also fine with non-uniform frame rendering. *shudder*

yamaci17

That only works if you have a screen that supports 40Hz or a VRR/Freesync/Gsync screen that has a range that goes down that low else
Your frames are being displayed non-uniformly and you will get a persistent albeit predictable stutter/judder/frame delay when frames are repeated or skipped.
40 doesnt divide into 60 equally, so the game/screen has to figure something out.
Might as well just lock 30 or reduce settings to get to 60.
^Note this is basically a 30 vs 60 thread and people are fine with 30 so I imagine people are also fine with non-uniform frame rendering. *shudder*
i think a compromise can be made with scanline sync (pushing tearing line to bottom or top of the screen). i think some game devs do this even on console , re village runs at 45 fps at times on ps4/xbox one and i think it looks fine and runs okay otherwise there would be mass protest or smthn. i think a batman arkham game was running at 45 fps on xbox one x or something. but it was a flawed implementation

i wonder how re village looks and plays on such 45 fps modes i wonder.

Last edited:
You barely follow my posts then and take it too seriously...
I just posted few days ago that in last 2 years I've finished 20 games on pc ad 10 on console.... yay. I use it daily man, what is your problem. I didn't get 3080 to trash it.

Do You really not understand I can have a pc and also hate it with a part of my soul ?! Do you not understand that a person can own something, spent money on it and STILL SEE HONEST FLAWS ?!
This is what NOT BEING A FANBOY is like. To be able to see flaws.
I have 25 years of pc gaming behind me. I know it's strengths and flaws. It is amazing but I am not a fool to blindly praise it every occasion there is.

If You can't understand that, you really should leave then. I am allowed my opinion, no matter if you understand it or not.
Even if I really hated pc gaming with passion, am I not allowed that ?! wtf.
Every post you have is dissing pc. You claim their headset is the best thing ever. Controller is the best thing ever. There's so many people that told you otherwise. Sony is God to you. There's no point in having conversations with these kinds of people when you get banned for having better iq and framerates. Look at how many times I've been banned for speaking the truth, while you shit on pc to peddle 30fps is better than 60fps. Or their headphones shit on better headphones, etc. There's no way i get banned, yet you constantly shit on every pc thread imaginable. Just look at your post history.

Kacho

Gold Member
lnx14e2f3ss11.jpg

rofif

Banned
Every post you have is dissing pc. You claim their headset is the best thing ever. Controller is the best thing ever. There's so many people that told you otherwise. Sony is God to you. There's no point in having conversations with these kinds of people when you get banned for having better iq and framerates. Look at how many times I've been banned for speaking the truth, while you shit on pc to peddle 30fps is better than 60fps. Or their headphones shit on better headphones, etc. There's no way i get banned, yet you constantly shit on every pc thread imaginable. Just look at your post history.
so now I cannot like a headset or a controller?
Maybe I really think that controller or headset is the best thing ever ? Or other one?
btw - I use that headset on a pc... it's pretty good... The best? I never said that. I've maybe said it's a good value.
I like the thing - sue me.

30 fps is better than 60? Where did you get that from?
I prefer image quality and often when I have to choose, I will happily take 4k30 mode unless the game is on pc then I do 4k120....
Opposed to you I've made my mind after experiencing 240hz for months... or 144hz... and so on. I post my opinions based on my experience

Last edited:

Midn1ght

what?!
How am I a bad guy now ?!
Dude it was a joke about pain and misery. I game more on pc than a console :p

And if You are serious then the truth is that console gamers are way more attacked by so called pc elite. I feel attacked every day even though I am both a peasant and elite. You guys just cannot comprehend that there are people who have both and are able to critique pc game and not just blindly spend thousands
Bruh, I love you but you're constantly shitting on PC, almost on a daily basis.
I'm with you when calling out the occasional bullshit master race elitist but there can't be a positive PC thread here without your grumpy ass coming in and reminding everyone everything you hate about PC.
What I'm trying say is...

660e51d68d810e45ce90c61b6ffbc6dc.jpg

I still like you though.

That's why i moved on to d-pad.life. they actual talk about games without the bs. Fuck GAF
Come on man, relax. The industry would be really boring without fanboys.
Don't give up on PCGAF:
Arrested Development Tobias GIF

Top Bottom