• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a 35+ year console gamers. I must admit pc guys are right. Frames over graphics any time!

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Fanboys like him always points fingers first calling others warriors.
Meme Reaction GIF

I always thought 60fps was the mutts nuts.... until I got my "gaming laptop" - which has a 3070 and 240hz display. Ignore the 240hz - Destiny 2 @ 90-110fps with G-Sync.... OMG. Now when I go back to 60fps, it feels like 30fps lol

Bragr

Banned
Gameplay over graphics/performance for me. Nintendo and Playstation 1st party always deliver. I cant imagine not playing there games so I can play PC games lol.
If you can afford a great PC, you can probably buy a Switch and PS to have everything you want. Otherwise your missing out
60fps is a big deal, but yes, you don't have much choice, half the best games in the last decade are nowhere near 60 fps and there is nothing you can do about it

RPSleon

I built a PC at the tail end of the PS3 generation precisely for 60fps, and I haven't regretted it one bit. I liked it so much that I got a 144hz G-Sync monitor.

Consoles are getting much better for higher framerates, but the only way to really be sure is PC. For those with the TV for it, 40hz is also a nice improvement over 30 and had we not had 60hz multiples for so long, I'm sure 40 would be plenty for most.

I will say that our brains eventually adapt to whatever we're playing at, so the immediate drop from 60 to 30 makes it feel worse than it ever did for the many years before. The same actually happens when you drop from 120+ to 60, At first you'll swear you can count every single one of those 60 frames when you're moving quickly (driving fast, for example).
For sure. I noticed this when playing black ops: cold war on ps5. The 120hz mode i think hits around 90fps, and switching to 60fps from only that high feels awful.

Weirdly, trying out the same thing in fortnite, which did run at full 120fps, didnt feel so bad when dropping, and i think thats down to being 3rd person rather than 1st.

Ratchet and clank at 40 may now have been as enjoyable if it was 1st person. Looking forward to trying out whichever 1st person game allows 40fps.

welshrat

Yeah its something I just cannot go back to, if its available on PC and the console game is 30 I will always by PC. Its why I will jump at the pro versions of the series x and ps5 if they offer 60 over 30 on games when they release. I don't have such an issue with above 60 but anything lower is hard to stomach.

b0uncyfr0

Its a real thing OP, frames are important and that's why i was really hesitant to get a console (because it was still unsure if 30 fps was gonna stick along longer). Luckily it isnt and i made the right bet there.

Now go try 144hz and watch your brain melt. It will ruin you though - you cant go back down.

Rudius

I was having problems getting a locked 60fps on my laptop with Need For Speed Heat and tried downclocking to refresh rate of the screen. Surprisingly it managed to run at 50 and 48 fps very well. After locking the game to a stable 48 fps it looks very smooth.

Played on PC my whole life, I still can play 30fps game if it comes to that.

If a game is 30fps but looks mind-blowing I'm fine with it, but it's getting really hard to justify 30fps when many of the best looking games (if not all) have 60fps modes on PS5.

I'll take 1080p/60fps over 4K/30fps any day.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Here's the thing people don't seem to understand:

Tech advancement comes from all areas of the industry, its the product of everyone pushing the limits and discovering new techniques and tricks.

So were consoles historically bound to maintain 60fps frame-rate as a standard then what devs would seek to achieve would be constrained by that, and as a result overall progress would have been slowed. The reality of working on fixed-spec hardware is that you have to observe those limits - so placing an artificial cap of 16ms on your render time is not a small thing.

Obviously PC's always out there, but not everyone focuses on it, and some fantastic innovations have come out of the console space.

REDRZA MWS

What gamer doesn’t want frames above all else? But when I have to sit in front of a 27” monitor, especially today with massive screens and 120hz, VRR, HDR, 4k. The new consoles are killing it.

lukilladog

Flat panel technology sucks so much at handling motion, that 37fps/74hz looks closer to 60fps than it does to 30fps, so that´s my minimum.

KXVXII9X

Yes and no. I am really enjoying playing at higher frames, but not every game that allows you is consistent. Unless locked to a higher framerate, I find frames that constantly fluctuate more distracting than a steady 30 fps. After the big graphical AAA UE5 showcases come in, I think people may opt for those games even if they are only able to play them at a lower framerate. Of course, people prefer 60fps now. Graphics have barely changed in the last decade. I wouldn't mind sacrificing some frames for more advanced physics/simulation, lighting, and more consistent LOD.

I would rather play something like DokeV at near steady 30 fps than the new Saints Row at 60+ fps.

Topher

Gold Member
What gamer doesn’t want frames above all else? But when I have to sit in front of a 27” monitor, especially today with massive screens and 120hz, VRR, HDR, 4k. The new consoles are killing it.

Yeah, the consoles are great this gen. Personally, I connect my consoles and my PC to the same 55" OLED TV. Everything looks fantastic.

Yes and no. I am really enjoying playing at higher frames, but not every game that allows you is consistent. Unless locked to a higher framerate, I find frames that constantly fluctuate more distracting than a steady 30 fps. After the big graphical AAA UE5 showcases come in, I think people may opt for those games even if they are only able to play them at a lower framerate. Of course, people prefer 60fps now. Graphics have barely changed in the last decade. I wouldn't mind sacrificing some frames for more advanced physics/simulation, lighting, and more consistent LOD.

I would rather play something like DokeV at near steady 30 fps than the new Saints Row at 60+ fps.
That's the thing isn't it. I feel like people who live by the "60fps or bust!" mantra are kinda stupid. No shit we all would like nice high framerates. But you gotta consider what else the game is pushing, it's always a trade off. At the end of the day some of the most memorable games I ever played in my life had subpar framerates. Would they have been better with higher framerates? Of course. Did it ruin the game? No. First world problems.

Raven77

Call me dirty, call me whatever you want, butt I play PC games on highest settings usually pulling anywhere from 10-25 frames per second.

I couldn't possibly care less that's it's "choppy". It's a beautiful chop...

Why stop at 120 lets go for 240fps
Dsplays aren't good enough yet. Well the oleds are but they're not 240hz yet. Nor are HDMI standards. Cpus need to get better, gpu, basically everything.

But as much as I prefer fps over resolution though I'm more interested in 8k120 than 4k240. 120 is a point where I am very very satisfied with motion combined with a good black frame insertion... And 8k should finally eliminate jaggies when sitting at the correct view distance.

4k plus certain TAA basically already does, but at the cost of sharpness

spons

Gold Member
I have terrible experiences with PC gaming. From Windows being a pain in the ass to 600 dollar graphics cards with jet engine fans. Fuck this shit.
All of it seems to be so fucking flimsily rigged together. I can't stand it. Just give me an integrated gaming system that looks good, controls well and just works.
Some people have an absolutely inane obsession over graphical fidelity. It really makes no sense to me at all. Hell I got Xbox Streaming finally working on my smartphone and I've almost completed the entire Mass Effect trilogy on it. It may look like a dumpster fire, but so far I enjoyed all of it, fully.

MikeM

That's the thing isn't it. I feel like people who live by the "60fps or bust!" mantra are kinda stupid. No shit we all would like nice high framerates. But you gotta consider what else the game is pushing, it's always a trade off. At the end of the day some of the most memorable games I ever played in my life had subpar framerates. Would they have been better with higher framerates? Of course. Did it ruin the game? No. First world problems.
30fps makes quick panning turn the image to smeary soup.

60fps or bust.

SkylineRKR

30fps also ruins the IQ. Because the movement is generally terrible and things don't flow good. 60fps might lower some details in games, but they run much better which makes the image more pleasant to look at.

120hz is luxury. Its very good but its not like 60fps is unplayable after using it. 30fps is terrible when you come from 60 though.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I have terrible experiences with PC gaming. From Windows being a pain in the ass to 600 dollar graphics cards with jet engine fans. Fuck this shit.
All of it seems to be so fucking flimsily rigged together. I can't stand it. Just give me an integrated gaming system that looks good, controls well and just works.
Some people have an absolutely inane obsession over graphical fidelity. It really makes no sense to me at all. Hell I got Xbox Streaming finally working on my smartphone and I've almost completed the entire Mass Effect trilogy on it. It may look like a dumpster fire, but so far I enjoyed all of it, fully.

for me its all about the frames, especially in multiplayer. 30 FPS is just not the same as 120+ and if I have to pay out my ass for it so be it.

as for build quality... It depends on your parts and as for sound...

make sure to turn the video sound on at the bottom

Essentially... stop buying shitty parts that sound like a jet engine, my Xbox Series X is louder unless I stick my phone inside the case next to the AIO so you can hear the damn pump.

Last edited:

OOGABOOGA

Banned
stevecarrell-the-office.gif

that-was-intentional-steelo-brim.gif

somebody give this motherfucker the link for 2022 update
giphy.webp

Like most of PS5 games nowadays run on 4k/60 fps and they give you the option to choose between performance/graphic mode, so are you evwn mentioning console!! Just a quick digital foundery search will debunk this whole thread.

Last edited:

OOGABOOGA

Banned
This was bullshit i take it back, but I still don't understand the need for more than 60fps/4k. I just played final fantasy 7 remake on 120fps and it played so unnaturally smooth. It was an unpleasant experience.

Last edited:
120hz is luxury. Its very good but its not like 60fps is unplayable after using it. 30fps is terrible when you come from 60 though.
Going from 60 right after seeing 120 is super jarring. Almost as severe as seeing 30 after 60, but not quite

First time I did i thought damn, that's 60?!?

Last edited:
30fps makes quick panning turn the image to smeary soup.

60fps or bust.
Priorities. I'm guessing you weren't around around when games were advancing astronomically by leaps and bounds every few years in every way imaginable--from polycount to game design to level design from 2D to 3D to physics to lighting--that nobody gave a shit about framerates. Today advances have slowed to such a crawl the only thing you can focus on is getting the image to display 2 or 3x more on screen per second. Boring as fuck.

Last edited:

MikeM

Priorities. I'm guessing you weren't around around when games were advancing astronomically by leaps and bounds every few years in every way imaginable--from polycount to game design to level design from 2D to 3D to physics to lighting--that nobody gave a shit about framerates. Today advances have slowed to such a crawl the only thing you can focus on is getting the image to display 2 or 3x more on screen per second. Boring as fuck.
Been gaming since the Atari days. Absolutely lived the transition. I just prefer a balanced image where camera movements don’t make everything turn to complete shit. The image quality dip is not severe enough for me to trade it for better motion management.

Also- CRT remedied a lot of the issues, hence why 30fps is now a concern. The current panels have nothing on CRTs when it comes to this.

Top Bottom