• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a new PS5 owner what are some of the best Japanese/Indie games that are not available in Xbox

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I finally caved in and bought a PS5 from a reseller.

I mainly bought it to play eFootball and Final Fantasy VII remake, so the console is delivering in that aspect.

However, whenever I look at the PS store it feels like there is very few games that I am interested in that weren’t already available on XSX. I have no interest in Sony’s western studios output, so I was looking forward to Japanese games.

I know that there is very few PS5 exclusives, but for some reason I had the idea that I would be able to buy games that were released in Japan on PS4/PS3. Is that not possible?

PS: I haven’t owned a PlayStation since the PS1. While I don’t regret going for the Xbox and X360 as my main console during those generations, I was let down by the X1, X1X, and barely enjoy my XSX. Finally, I got tired of waiting for non-western quirky games on Xbox, so I bought a Switch and now a PS5. I am done building a game library on Xbox. My Switch showed me that I wasn’t tired of games, but I was tired of Microsoft. My PS5 is actually fun and I look forward to playing it when I can. Fuck all the time I wasted on Microsoft.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
683282-13-sentinels-aegis-rim-playstation-4-front-cover.png
JOMYBWDlo5SxapLRq4vFQdrjaPC4DVMd.png
tlaW5zeMoJ0QyBjk2ZRAfQ97raOyMZ5NVPwl3ECiLfihodDNFXVrwxrdjuMgs1x6.png

And upcoming
maxresdefault.jpg

reksveks

13 sentinels, p5r would get a thumbs up from me.

On the xbox, you tried out danganronpa, on gp but it is a quirky Japanese game however I don't think it's for everyone.

drganon

Persona 5
13 sentinels
Various ys games
Various trails games
Tales of berseria
Caligula effect 1 and 2.

I could go on for awhile. There is a shit of Japanese games that aren't available on xbox.

Fbh

All the Atlus made/published stuff:
Persona 5 Royal
13 Sentinels
Odin's Sphere
Dragons Crown

Falcon Games:
Ys series if you are more into action based gameplay
Trails series if you are more into tactical gameplay and story focus

Some Arc System Works stuff if you are into fighting games: Guilty Gear Strive, etc

If you like Yakuza there's a Fist of the North Star game made by the same studio which is basically the Yakuza formula applied to Fist of the North Star.

Those come to mind right now, but I'm sure there's plenty more.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Sifu (As of yet)
Anno Mutationem
The Pathless
The Atelier series
Monark
F.I.S.T
Guilty Gear Strive
Persona 5

Later this year
Stray
Sword and Fairy Together Forever
Valkyrie Elysium
Granblue Fantasy Relink
Lost Epic
DNF Duel

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Thank you for the recommendations.
If you like Yakuza there's a Fist of the North Star game made by the same studio which is basically the Yakuza formula applied to Fist of the North Star.

This one?

Also, are there any mech games?

Edit: 13 Sentinels seems to cover that. Any more mech games?

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Ev1L AuRoN

Persona 5 Royal is my pick, it should keep you occupied for a while. Not a Japanese game per se, but Ghost of Tsushima is another solid option.

jm89

Another vote for 13 sentinel aegis rim, goddamn amazing story. There are a hand full of games that really stuck with me after i finished it and that was one of them.

Top Bottom