• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a PS5 owner, things are looking bleak for sony in the next Decade!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...

Sony

God of War Ragnarok
Spiderman 2
Wolverine
TLOU Remake
TLOU Multiplayer Game
TLOU Part III
Naughty Dog New IP

Microsoft

Perfect Dark
Everwood
Starfield
Fable
Awoved
Outer Worlds 2
Elder Scrolls 6
State of Decay 3
Redfall
Gears 6
Coalition New IP (Star Wars rumored)

Yes.. by my calculations gaming in the next decade or so is very bleak. I 100% agreem. What a shit show for both parties... :p

Just because we know more Microsoft stuff doesn't mean Sony has nothing interesting. Come on now.. just be patient peeps.
Sony has 18 studios with more to come...and most of those studios are working in multiple projects. Sony has never been better as a publisher. The OP makes no sense

ethomaz

Banned
But that's not what they're doing anymore. They bought Bungie which is not known for AAA focused single player games. I've heard some other Sony studios are working on gaas type of games. So no, things have changed. It will be interesting to see what Sony looks like in 5-10 years from now.
That is what they are doing.
Basically all their releases this year are single player focused.

Just because they have one Studio that will work in a live service game doesn’t change the other games focus.

They have focused in single player experiences with PS3 and even so they released MAG and EVE.

You guys are taking about that changing in Sony for 2 decades already and they continue focusing in single player experience… and it most be shocking but being successful and having profit with that focus.

You need to be blind for over 90% of the games Sony announced to believe they are changing anything.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
sub services can go suck a dick.
I want to own something. Anything.
Physical single player games at least give me option to play v1.0 version of the game even in far future. It is comforting.
All digital future is amazing now but at a cost of every and all ownership. They can update the game, break it, remove music, remove your access or ban your account. Anything

Bo_Hazem

Banned
d791fa92-761d-4c99-9c8b-ceec464d0f6b_text.gif

BreakOut

sub services can go suck a dick.
I want to own something. Anything.
Physical single player games at least give me option to play v1.0 version of the game even in far future. It is comforting.
All digital future is amazing now but at a cost of every and all ownership. They can update the game, break it, remove music, remove your access or ban your account. Anything
I feel like people can argue subscription and streaming and all sorts of shit like that all day long, but there is still a ton of the world that is not able to download 100 GB game and delete it and re-download it a week later because they change their mind again because of a patch. Like it’s just not a thing yet, and probably won’t be for a while. I think subscriptions and shit will play a part of the market, but it’s not going to take over the industry anytime soon. It’s not Netflix, no matter how much some people want it to be. If Sony and Nintendo don’t move into that field it doesn’t really matter if Microsoft does because they are just 1 part of the gaming market, it will take everyone moving into it to push that forward and clearly PlayStation and Nintendo don’t intend to do it anytime soon. At least not to the extent that makes it a must have in the market.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Why do all posts like this assume video gaming exists in a vacuum. Unless SONY and MS develop their own IPSs that they can deliver directly to consumers, this is all "Sunday edible thought wankery."

Fredrik

I’m excited for the future since it looks like PS+ will let me play more games for less money just like Gamepass, unless they block the ps now to ps+ premium conversion.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
"In 10 years I believe streaming will be the future"

Funny GIF
Dude, seriously? Cloud gaming is pretty damn great right now. In 10 years, 10 YEARS.....it'll be undisguisable from playing locally. Consoles will still have a place in every ecosystem but Cloud gaming will definitely become the norm. It's not like he said it would happen tomorrow. Jfc.

Some of you jokers are so afraid of change it comes through in your posts.

Out of all of Microsoft’s moves, the only studios I care about losing on PlayStation are Ninja Theory and Double Fine. SIE on the other hand made moves to ensure that Housemarque, Insomniac and BluePoint don’t stop making games for their system which is more important to me. For my tastes Sony spending less than 500m on those studios far eclipses the tens of billions Microsoft spent.

If the PlayStation collection is anything to go by, and some of the games that launched into PS+, then I don’t think PS+ extra subscribers will have much to worry about. I’m not a fan of subscriptions services myself, and likely won’t stream games until I’m forced to.

The problem Sony will have is if big 3rd party publishers like EA or Ubisoft get bought out and don’t make games for PlayStation.

Nydius

OP's post reads like the same people who keep claiming Nintendo needs to abandon hardware and become a multiplatform publisher or they'll be dooooooooooooooooooooomed. Been hearing that for the last 20 years, ever since Microsoft's failed acquisition of them. Sony will be just fine.

The whole "let's fast forward ten years" paragraphs gave me a good laugh that I needed today though, so thanks for that.

Edit:
...but there is still a ton of the world that is not able to download 100 GB game and delete it and re-download it a week later because they change their mind again because of a patch.

There's a lot of places in the U.S. where this isn't sustainable right now. I'm fortunate enough that my town has one high speed provider and early access to Starlink. But drive 5 to 10 miles from my front door in any direction and the only offerings available to people are expensive 10mbps DSL on aging copper lines or overpriced, and highly data capped, cellular 'home' data plans.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Dude, seriously? Cloud gaming is pretty damn great right now. In 10 years, 10 YEARS.....it'll be undisguisable from playing locally. Consoles will still have a place in every ecosystem but Cloud gaming will definitely become the norm. It's not like he said it would happen tomorrow. Jfc.

Some of you jokers are so afraid of change it comes through in your posts.

In 10 years electricity won't exceed the speed of light, so cloud gaming will always have lags. FFS even locally you buy stuff to get the lowest latency possible.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No company, no matter how powerful can buy everything. Neither can they release everything within a calendar year or whatever without taking massive losses because the overwhelming majority of users only buy a few games each year - a situation that isn't going to change drastically no matter what's on offer.

So yeah, MS are buying a lot of stuff to improve their offer and make their platforms more attractive. Good for them. But honestly, I don't see them displacing Nintendo and Sony completely. Especially in territories where the Xbox brand has never had much pull.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Dude, seriously? Cloud gaming is pretty damn great right now. In 10 years, 10 YEARS.....it'll be undisguisable from playing locally.
How? Are they going to make data travel faster than the speed of light? Will everyone have a data centre next door to their house?

What you are saying is literally against the laws of science.

. It's not like he said it would happen tomorrow. Jfc.

True. But when will every South American, Asian, and African country have affordable unlimited gigabit broadband? Because I don’t see any hardware manufacturer cutting off those markets. It certainly won’t be within 10 years.

In 10 years I believe streaming will be the future...

This is where your logic fails you completely, OP.

You're on crack if you think this has any kind of credibility.

Every game streaming service including OnLive, Gaikai, PS Now, XCloud and NVidia's platforms have completely failed to generate mass-market appeal.

So you're looking at this string of consistent string of failures and extrapolating that somehow this technology will eventually take over from all traditional physical and digital distribution methods?????

That's pure lunacy!

SeraphJan

Didn't we just discussed this same topic at least triple time last month?

People are saying console will die and PC will replace them as early as in the 90s, and 30 years later console is doing better than ever.

People are saying same kind of nonsense 15 years ago when Cloud technology first debuted, and look at how badly Stadia failed, and how console is neither dead nor declining.

Play game is not like watching TVs, streaming will never replace local hardware. Sure internet connection and cloud technology will improve in the future, but so is gaming hardware, its a never ending race, 10 years later cloud gaming might be better than today, but gaming hardware is also going to be way better than today.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I feel like people can argue subscription and streaming and all sorts of shit like that all day long, but there is still a ton of the world that is not able to download 100 GB game and delete it and re-download it a week later because they change their mind again because of a patch. Like it’s just not a thing yet, and probably won’t be for a while. I think subscriptions and shit will play a part of the market, but it’s not going to take over the industry anytime soon. It’s not Netflix, no matter how much some people want it to be. If Sony and Nintendo don’t move into that field it doesn’t really matter if Microsoft does because they are just 1 part of the gaming market, it will take everyone moving into it to push that forward and clearly PlayStation and Nintendo don’t intend to do it anytime soon. At least not to the extent that makes it a must have in the market.
exactly. Disc games are playable. Patches are optional.
My coworkers who live in suburbs exactly 10-15km away from me have shit internet while I have 600mbit in the city

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's clear as day how the next "console war" stage is heading, we are heading to a war of subscription services. Exclusives have always been important when it comes to hardware sales but now days it's more about how much content you can add versus a few exclusive games

Microsoft is making blockbuster moves like buying Bethesda possibly Activision, flat out buying many other studios, doing their best to repair their image. (yes the xbox one reveal debacle still is being felt today) ON paper the Series X is even the most powerful console. Microsoft is using it's deep pockets and can see this seriously paying off in the next few years.

On the other hand, Sony has been getting a bad anti consumer rep lately. The massive Gran Turismo greed debacle combined with reports that ps3 games you purchased digitally are blocked from use with their new service is not a good look. If you compare spartacus to Game Pass it's down right pathetic. The main difference is game pass offers much more for not much difference in price. Sony did a great job of taking advantage of the xbox one debale and become the consumers people's champion. I think corporate greed maybe steering them away from it.

Lets fast forward 5 years. Lets say Microsoft becomes real aggressive and decides to make all of their companies games exclusive to the xbox brand. With the amount of games under the xbox umbrella, Microsoft have much more firepower than Sony could dream of offering right now. If you want to play the next Call of duty, Doom, Fallout, etc you have to play it on gamepass. Hell this gamepass could spread even more to smartphones, smart tv's, almost anything that can offer a conneciton. Sony in the long haul just cannot complete with their handful of best int he business exclusives.

Lets fast foward 10 years from now. It's time for the ps6/xbox series Z. Chip shortages are here to stay. It's not just the pandemic but demand for almost anything who need certain microchips are going to make demand scarce for the foreseeable future. Cars, tablets, phones, consoles, pc's and every other smart device are all fighting for the same components. As the years go on, more and more devices need these same chips and demand simply cannot catch up. It makes much more sense for Sony/Microsoft to make a simple console and use streaming as the main source. I do not believe the next consoles will be complicated devices but more simple streaming boxes. Much more cost efficient for the manufacture's and consumer alike.

In 10 years I believe streaming will be the future and it's going to be more about buying Sony Exclusive service or Microsoft exclusive service! The average available streaming speed across the USA today is 200mbps. In 10 years it will probalby be over a gig or more. I can verify using Geforce now that streaming gaming can be flawless if executed properly. In 10 years I can almost guarantee they will have the kinks worked out along with the increased speeds that will make this feel like a native experience. It's going to come down to if you want to buy the PS6 streaming box with their style controller versus Xbox Game Pass and their streamign box and exclusive controller. This is a nightmare situation for Sony but it is what it is.

*before the whole Xbox fanboy flames note that I haven't owned an Xbox since the 360 days. I exclusively play on the Quest 2, switch, and ps5. With that being said, Microsoft is making moves now that will pay off in the long haul.
Massively overselling negatives, massively underselling positives, big GamePass plug… doom and gloom peppered on it :rolleyes:.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Where does it give the split for global?

Elden Ring is Europe's biggest new games IP since The Division in 2016, and the biggest game launch since Call of Duty: Vanguard in November last year, according to the latest GSD market report.

The FromSoftware game sold best on PC, representing 44% of total sales. Then it's PS5 with 27%, then Xbox (16%) and finally PS4 (13%).

Streaming doesn't change anything, just look at what happened with movies. What matters is who is able to produce the content that people want. Did Microsoft dominated movie/series/video streaming just because they were a big tech company? No.

Also, streaming pretty much already works, it's pretty cheap to subscribe to xCloud and yet pretty much nobody cares, why is it even seen as disruptive?

Last edited:

M16

Look how fuckin huge microsoft got in the last 2 years alone. We had people telling us the Bethesda deal was a once in a lifetime type thing. Then they dropped the biggest megaton ever and bought activision. Imagine how much bigger they'll become. In the next 10 years,platforms will only be cloud based(its the hard truth, despite some people not liking this). I see Sony only being a 3rd party developer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom